Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I mean every minimum wage retail job I've applied to or had wanted a resume and a full list of everything that's already in the resume but u just gotta type it all out in their ill-spaced forms again anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

When I was job hunting last spring, I ended up filling out quite a few personality quizzes, and it's the most frustrating thing. You just know there's some egghead in an office who has worked out the "ideal" profile of the "ideal" worker, and it's a system that's really only rewarding people who know how to play the system, or who get lucky. I had one that asked me to rate, on a scale from 1 (strongly disagree) to 5 (strongly agree), the statement "I am anxious most of the time." I have a diagnosed anxiety disorder. I feel anxious 100% of the time, except maybe sometimes when I'm asleep. I am absolutely positive that this falls into "questions a potential employer is not allowed to ask you." I got up from my computer, stormed around the apartment for about half an hour and considered ragequitting, then came back and finished the quiz. Pretty sure I lied on that question.

They hired me. I work there now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RoboRodent posted:

When I was job hunting last spring, I ended up filling out quite a few personality quizzes, and it's the most frustrating thing. You just know there's some egghead in an office who has worked out the "ideal" profile of the "ideal" worker, and it's a system that's really only rewarding people who know how to play the system, or who get lucky. I had one that asked me to rate, on a scale from 1 (strongly disagree) to 5 (strongly agree), the statement "I am anxious most of the time." I have a diagnosed anxiety disorder. I feel anxious 100% of the time, except maybe sometimes when I'm asleep. I am absolutely positive that this falls into "questions a potential employer is not allowed to ask you." I got up from my computer, stormed around the apartment for about half an hour and considered ragequitting, then came back and finished the quiz. Pretty sure I lied on that question.

They hired me. I work there now.

Targets used to and might still ask what percent of politicians you think lie. Those tests are some of the most wtf poo poo

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Len posted:

Most minimum wage hellholes I was applying at early last year wanted full resumes. Why does a gas station need more than a one page application? Who knows but that's how it is now

Because power. Power over people is the last pleasure they have.

"You want this job I got to offer then crawl in the dirt. Make me believe that you need it more than you need air, maggot"

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

life is killing me posted:

It's a mostly corporate thing or for companies hiring skilled workers with experience and/or college degrees. Full resumes and/or CV.

For something like Chipotle, McDonald's or any other fast food place or a gas station, all they really want is an application detailing where you've worked and your "special skills." You don't usually need prior experience, meaning you don't need a full resume or CV unless you're applying to corporate or for a management position.

They don't need a resume or experience, they just want to know your skills and your work history!

Are you drunk? Am I?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

walrusman posted:

They don't need a resume or experience, they just want to know your skills and your work history!

Are you drunk? Am I?

You are drunk. Or really dense.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

walrusman posted:

Are you drunk? Am I?

Those minimum wage hells already ask for all of that on the regular application you fill out. From my experience it goes like this:

1) Visit website and fill out application filling in job history and experience

2) then after filling out your job history and experience they ask you to submit a resume which contains everything you just gave them in step 1 only their algorithms gently caress the formatting so you have to edit it

3) then you take a multiple choice questionnaire that tells them if you'll be worthless or worth hiring

Why bother having me fill out a resume twice just so I can play register jockey at a gas station for minimum wage and no employee benefits?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Len posted:

Those minimum wage hells already ask for all of that on the regular application you fill out. From my experience it goes like this:

2) then after filling out your job history and experience they ask you to submit a resume which contains everything you just gave them in step 1 only their algorithms gently caress the formatting so you have to edit it

3) then you take a multiple choice questionnaire that tells them if you'll be worthless or worth hiring

Why bother having me fill out a resume twice just so I can play register jockey at a gas station for minimum wage and no employee benefits?

The number one quality they're looking for is: person will do useless bullshit if asked.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Len posted:

Because doing tedious tasks which might seem pointless is a large part of the job. If you think you can get a better job, you're not the person they're looking for.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

So you can’r retry the test each time you fail it to continue the application

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

life is killing me posted:

where you've worked...You don't usually need prior experience,

walrusman posted:

Are you drunk? Am I?

Okay at least I'm not the only one that is being thrown by this.

So okay, you're saying they want the info, just not in a separate document called a resume? As many others have said, I usually get asked for both. Where are you in the world?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

From the comments on a video of a Rush concert:

quote:

I had a guy behind me, wired on some very aromatic smoke, who thought (key word being "thought") he was going to get away with singing the words to every song. After The Anarchist and Headlong Flight, I shared some tokes of his pink kush and told him he was a pretty good vocalist. He smiled his wired smile while my son just grinned, knowing what was coming. Then I told this Rush vocalist wannabe that I didn't pay a $1,000 for two Rush tix to their last Toronto concert ever so my son and I could hear his loving cakehole through every song and if he bothered those around him one more time that he'd be picking up his teeth with broken fingers. Everyone around us cheered and thanked me and we didn't hear a peep out of him for the rest of the show. His "friends" never said a word nor did a thing towards me. It may have been that when I corrected his behavior, I had my thumb in one temple and my forefinger in the other just to make sure he clearly understood what I told him. It was a great concert.

"This dude was loving wired and annoying. Let me explain how I did the exact same drugs mid-concert to intimidate him."

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Also, I touched his face

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

From the comments on a video of a Rush concert:

"This dude was loving wired and annoying. Let me explain how I did the exact same drugs mid-concert to intimidate him."

Speaking as a Rush fan, that's about the level of social awareness most Rush fans have.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Also, I touched his face

I'm still trying to figure out what he meant to do with his thumb and forefinger.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what he meant to do with his thumb and forefinger.

I think he was making an L to call the dude a loser.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Heliotrope posted:

I think he was making an L to call the dude a loser.

Temple to temple? loving big fingers.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

chitoryu12 posted:

he's saying he used his yooge hand to intimidate the guy

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
From IoSM:

ghost emoji posted:

“If you can’t recite every state and federal gun law by heart then you don’t get to protest”

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"I'm all about protesting for change, for justice, and being passionate about a cause" says local woman berating her son for not wanting to get shot

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
He just learned a valuable lesson. Never ask Mum for permission again.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12 posted:

Threatening to squish old mate's tiny head between his muscular fingers with a mighty pinch obvs

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

chitoryu12 posted:

Make him look kinda dumb by placing them in the shape of an L on his forehead.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps it's an advanced nose-stealing technique.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Guys, he was obviously doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4pmlHRokg

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

chitoryu12 posted:

All Star, but it’s an annoying guy at a Rush concert

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He was making a finger gun jesus christ.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Turtlicious posted:

He was making a finger gun jesus christ.

Ive never seen a finger gun where the thumb is in one Temple and the forefinger the other. Like I'm pretty sure the only way you could pull that off is if you palm a guy's face.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I'm tired as heck of everyone commented that they spit out their drink or couldn't breathe. what's the deal with that

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I carry water in my cheeks at all times just so I'm armed and ready for a hilarious spit take.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

drat Hannah savage af

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Serious question, what does “bless your food” mean and which crazy Protestant denomination does this

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Jay Rust posted:

Serious question, what does “bless your food” mean and which crazy Protestant denomination does this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_(prayer)

Fairly common among many denominations, usually referred to as "saying grace." Also fairly common at a lot of not-officially-Christian-but-functionally-so American social groups, like the Girl Scouts, who taught me every grace I know. (Everything beyond "rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub, yay Lord" is pointless showmanship IMHO.)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh sure. I guess I’ve never heard it referred to as blessing the food

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Jay Rust posted:

Is this the "who even IS beyonce" of American theology??? We'll reveal the answer, at 11.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Antivehicular posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_(prayer)

Fairly common among many denominations, usually referred to as "saying grace." Also fairly common at a lot of not-officially-Christian-but-functionally-so American social groups, like the Girl Scouts, who taught me every grace I know. (Everything beyond "rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub, yay Lord" is pointless showmanship IMHO.)
I'm partial to "Good bread, good meat, good God, let's eat!"

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

tyblazitar posted:

Because doing tedious tasks which might seem pointless is a large part of the job. If you think you can get a better job, you're not the person they're looking for.

According to the managers I've spoken to, even having a GED is a dealbreaker for some of these jobs, because they assume you're just there until you can find something better.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
God is good, God is great, I hope I get the biggest plate

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I'm tired as heck of everyone commented that they spit out their drink or couldn't breathe. what's the deal with that

IDK if it's still the case, but years ago commenting that you spit your drink all over your keyboard was made a probatable offence here because people were doing it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Is that a stereotypical Asian accent?