Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I kind of like setting up a super efficient colonial base more than when the colonists arrive and the game truly starts. If only Space Y would let me be the VP of space logistics instead of a big deal colonial official...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So extractor AI is incredibly loving useful and means you can do all the mining you ever need anywhere at 75% efficiency because you can run it night shift without caring about sanity loss.

Also did you know fuel can spontaneously combust and take out an entire universal depot and its goods?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What this game sorely needs is Dwarf Therapist.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

canepazzo posted:

What this game sorely needs is Dwarf Therapist.

I think you’ll find that people can handily lift themselves out of depression with equal parts gambling and scenic walks in parks, much like in real life

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I think you’ll find that people can handily life themselves out of depression with equal parts gambling and scenic walks in parks, much like in real life

Or you get the Shutdown Protocol where they pass out on the spot, get a full night's sleep on the floor then wake up completely refreshed (though with a horrible crick in their neck). Yeah, that's a breakthrough: Colonists that snap will pass out for 6 hours and wake up with 70 in every stat.

Also, a little word of advice: ALWAYS keep a tech queue. Any extra research from anomalies will just vanish if you don't have an extra tech or two to soak it up. I was so pissed when one of the first anomalies I scanned was the one that gave 3K research (and 300M funds) and I didn't have any extra techs queued up.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Cool, glad my idiot colonists won't travel thirty yards to satisfy their needs and would rather just go crazy.

Hey now, they have to get all suited up and trek across a hellscape that keeps either freezing over, getting hit by tornadoes or beaten with meteors.

I'd order pizza too.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Alkydere posted:

Or you get the Shutdown Protocol where they pass out on the spot, get a full night's sleep on the floor then wake up completely refreshed (though with a horrible crick in their neck). Yeah, that's a breakthrough: Colonists that snap will pass out for 6 hours and wake up with 70 in every stat.

Also, a little word of advice: ALWAYS keep a tech queue. Any extra research from anomalies will just vanish if you don't have an extra tech or two to soak it up. I was so pissed when one of the first anomalies I scanned was the one that gave 3K research (and 300M funds) and I didn't have any extra techs queued up.

Yep, my queue is always at five (or four if I got distracted by other stuff) and I am constantly changing up the order of things based on the situation or new stuff that I unlocked.

Lorini posted:

I will look at that thanks.

Just remember that power/water/oxygen will travel into a dome but not through it, so if you think your dome is acting as a conduit because your network goes in one side and out the other then you're mistaken. Learning that the hard way is how I lost my first colony.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So what causes crop failures? Is it soil quality or just completely random?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bedurndurn posted:

So what causes crop failures? Is it soil quality or just completely random?

It's from really low yields from poor productivity. You get worse productivity from people working the wrong jobs, worker slots not being filled, and low worker morale.

Since the job allocation ai is really bad and will constantly have engineers farming and botanists mining, that means you can't do anything about the first.
I just set the farms to high priority so they always get their job posts filled first. Do that and try to make sure people aren't miserable by giving them their desires. Click on the dome to see what services people want the most.

Edit:
I don't know why the worker placement ai is so bad. There's really not much of a reason to have people working the wrong jobs unless there aren't worker slots for their profession available, or they are earthborn and are going crazy from working in an out of dome job. I've seen botanists quitting their farming job to work at the clinic and leaving the farming job empty while having never worked a day outside of the dome and both jobs having the same priority. So clearly it's looking at some stuff it probably shouldn't to make its decision.

Double edit:
Worker placement should probably go:
Highest priority first -> Sanity level on out dome job -> Job type versus profession -> Level of randomness here on all valid applicants

Then repeat for each lower level of priority.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 17, 2018

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So can you operate multiple extractors over the same rare earth deposit? And if you can is it even really worth it?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The chance of crop failures gets really, really bad if you try Church of the New Ark since hydroponics farms only operate at half efficiency as well. It really, really makes you pray for actual farm plots or mushroom greenhouses.

And yeah, job allocation is straight up bad in this game. Colonists do seem to filter and try to end up in the right place (I have seen a fully staffed lab with 3 shifts of scientists) but they don't stick and they shuffle about like random.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So can you operate multiple extractors over the same rare earth deposit? And if you can is it even really worth it?

Yes...and no unless it's a hilariously rich deposit and/or you want that thing sucked dried super fast. It's better just to run extra shifts on one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I'm finding that most of my job allocation issues are actually population and skills issues. As in, I don't have enough people or qualified workers. If you ensure a good supply of them they do work in the right buildings I think, and it helps to specialize your domes. I put all my engineers into my first medium dome, moved the factories there, put the polymer factory outside it, and then made the rest of it into the childcare/education dome.

It's working very well. I'm looking to decomission my second basic dome once it's mined out its metal deposit, and rolling everyone into the medium dome except for the first basic dome which I am coverting over to dedicated agriculture, with the basic dome comfort tech and the farm comfort tech it should be more or less self solving as far as comfort goes and food can be supplied across domes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Hahaha, I just found 5 water deposits in 2 sectors right next to my starting zone.

That's about 60K water...if I can find some nearby metals I'll be very set for a while. If I can't...well I'm playing as Europe this game so funding is not an issue.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe the game actually does take into account the geography of where you are and will put deposits in geographic features.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

One more minor jank complaint: The pathing of the vehicles is abysmal when tunnels are involved. Trying to set up a supply route because I'm running short on metals and my transport keeps trying to climb the mountain (and failing) instead of going through the tunnel I have set up for it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

IcePhoenix posted:

One more minor jank complaint: The pathing of the vehicles is abysmal when tunnels are involved. Trying to set up a supply route because I'm running short on metals and my transport keeps trying to climb the mountain (and failing) instead of going through the tunnel I have set up for it.

Pathfinding in general seems to have issues at extreme distances.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
You can put multiple extractors on the same mine. It might degrade the extractors faster since they are kicking up dust at each other if you have no space to space them out. There's no other penalty as far as I can tell.

Job allocation: I think the AI just prioritize having all vacancy filled out as evenly as possible. Right click to close job vacancies from low priority job and people will go to work according to their specialty mostly.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 17, 2018

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Hahaha, I just found 5 water deposits in 2 sectors right next to my starting zone.

That's about 60K water...if I can find some nearby metals I'll be very set for a while. If I can't...well I'm playing as Europe this game so funding is not an issue.

I'm relatively sure the pre-defined starting locations are not randomly generated or populated. I played on the exact same map with the exact same resource locations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

nessin posted:

I'm relatively sure the pre-defined starting locations are not randomly generated or populated. I played on the exact same map with the exact same resource locations.

I do random sites.

I also got the breakthrough that gave me 3x 500K deep water sites...on the far side of the map but still. This colony's not going dry any time soon.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Rocket costs are weird. For example, buying a drone hub costs 150m, weighs 5000t, and includes 4 drones (6 with the upgrade.) Meanwhile, drones themselves are 30m / 1000t each, and buying just the electronics to make a hub yourself is 160m and 1600t. My first game I didn't even bother to research the tech. Every single hub and drone I ever had was from Earth.

Are there any other weirdly efficient things to import like that?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

^^^ I haven't checked the efficiency but making electric circuits with precious metals seems counterproductive.

I just noticed that specialization has an effect on what things they like to do, so a dome of "+ gaming - luxury" only requires the one store to make them happy.

Also thinking more about this, stores? Gambling? Are you telling me that this fourteen member colony on Mars is capitalistic?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
So I just embarked on my first mystery. It all starts with some unknown crashed space probe. No great shock, there's some kind of bio contaminant and now my colonists are coming down with a mystery illness that makes their blood clot way more than it should. Waait a minute, are we doing The Andromeda Strain here? Is the solution going to turn out to be to turn up the O2 production and tell everybody to start hyperventilating?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I regret to say that I am finding this to be somewhat of a slog to play. It's not as bad as some other non-Haemimont Kalypso titles, but it's mostly slow and dull.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wyld Karde posted:

So I just embarked on my first mystery. It all starts with some unknown crashed space probe. No great shock, there's some kind of bio contaminant and now my colonists are coming down with a mystery illness that makes their blood clot way more than it should. Waait a minute, are we doing The Andromeda Strain here? Is the solution going to turn out to be to turn up the O2 production and tell everybody to start hyperventilating?

Congrats you got the same mystery that basically everyone seems to get when they set it to "random" :v:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

pedro0930 posted:

I am starting to think farming is a waste of time. It costs tons of water, space, and manpower yet it's extremely cheap to buy it from earth while weighing very little. Just get more fuel refineries and research related tech to get regular shipments. I managed to keep 200 people fed with imported food and have plenty of money to outsource research and import advanced resources even at a dust storm heavy zone. In that run I picked the space Mormon and the start was slow as gently caress. I think it took about 50-60 sol for the colony to start gaining momentum.
One of the mysteries, the one I got in my still ongoing first run, is World War 3 which prevents you from sending supplies from Earth. I can still get prefabs and drones, but not any actual supplies.
It does give you 5 sols to ship stuff before the embargo takes effect at least.

At first it stopped all rocket traffic. That lasted for five or so sols. Then they opened up for exports and shipping prefabs, but I've now been cut off from supplies for 20+ sols and counting.

I nearly died once when I ran low on electronics at the same time as two out of the three fusion generators that power my everything broke down.

The breakthrough that let's you upgrade fusion generators to run at 150% and not need people is amazing, but don't forget to build batteries like I did. :downs:
Two of the basic batteries is not enough to run four domes of various sizes filled with stuff.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

- how can I reassign drones between hubs, RC and rockets? Other than single click each.
- how do I make pathfinding use tunnels?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

canepazzo posted:

- how can I reassign drones between hubs, RC and rockets? Other than single click each.

the answer to both is you join their dev team and fix it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

canepazzo posted:

Rockets will transfer to the nearest hub when they launch. Hubs can trade drones by disassembling them at the origin one and reassembling at the end point (both options in the top right context menu).

Pretty sure the RC drones can't be transferred, since they are determined by research.

Re pathfinding, have your tried summoning satan

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 17, 2018

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
Kinda interesting game. Don't see myself replaying or finish this game in the current state though. It's the same weird growth equilibriums from Tropico that are interesting to explore but boring once you understand the mechanics.

I think my mystery was supporting some other colony with a shitload of resources. Which I half-assed and probably failed I guess. The other colony was super greedy on resources, with the rationale being "your sponsor is sick and maybe some other people on earth is sick too". Don't be so needy mystery I have a colony to run.

The priority AI seems kinda bugged. If I prioritize on specialization, they flood that dome even when there is no rooms available and get dissapointed about being homeless.
For criterias other than specialization the priority AI somewhat works, but it's wonky.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
Also the dust mechanics and which facilities produce them is the true mystery to me.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Just extractors and rockets as far as I'm aware?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It'd be nice if I didn't have to manually ferry around resources to fix broken buildings.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Not really since the limiting factor there is usually people. What's really valuable is multiple extractors on water.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jeoh posted:

It'd be nice if I didn't have to manually ferry around resources to fix broken buildings.

You don't, really, that's what shuttles are for. Or if you build your depots and drone hubs right, they'll do a bit of balancing themselves.

Webguy20
Dec 31, 2007
So I'm playing the tutorial session and I think I just ran myself into the mid game around SOL 25. I've used up basically all my money (I did a lot of outsource researching) and have 3 domes up that are mostly full. Now it is like "whats next?" It doesn't seem like sending rare metals back gets you much money at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Webguy20 posted:

So I'm playing the tutorial session and I think I just ran myself into the mid game around SOL 25. I've used up basically all my money (I did a lot of outsource researching) and have 3 domes up that are mostly full. Now it is like "whats next?" It doesn't seem like sending rare metals back gets you much money at all.

It gets you 22m per unit, or should unless you have something that changed it. It's mostly there to help you with supplies, but you should look into at the very least securing a supply of metals and a factory to process them into machine parts, that will cut down greatly what you need to import. Your goal is to expand your workforce and research technologies, as tech will unlock the lategame buildings and make you much more efficient.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Europe and Blue Sun seem like the best two starts for real games. ( I don't count Mars Mission which is a tutorial. ).

Blue Sun getting that deep mining early plus cheap shuttles, plus better deep mining lets you solve a lot of issues just with cash flow.

5 free techs plus an expanded tree helps Europe in everything right off the bat. Faster early tech just seals the deal. Constant influxes of cash per research lets you order new shuttles in fairly regularily.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It gets you 22m per unit, or should unless you have something that changed it.

Funding per unit of rare metals actually depends on your mission sponsor. It ranges from 20 to 30 million.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Enzenx posted:

Funding per unit of rare metals actually depends on your mission sponsor. It ranges from 20 to 30 million.

Ah ok well Russia gets 22m/u at least. If you get more than that then even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Rookersh posted:

Europe and Blue Sun seem like the best two starts for real games. ( I don't count Mars Mission which is a tutorial. ).

Blue Sun getting that deep mining early plus cheap shuttles, plus better deep mining lets you solve a lot of issues just with cash flow.

5 free techs plus an expanded tree helps Europe in everything right off the bat. Faster early tech just seals the deal. Constant influxes of cash per research lets you order new shuttles in fairly regularily.

I’ve been playing as the USA because I like the safety net of having period cash infusions, but I agree that Blue Sun is probably the better outfit to go with. Especially once you’re good enough to not be over-building at the start of the game :/