Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Dallbun posted:

"I've been injured badly. I can keep it together."

(Gets kicked, upper body explodes into gore.)

It was a very DF way to go out. :allears:

i guess he couldn't keep himself together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Journal of Gnoman lelumigoth, Seamstress

1 Granite 566

Tunicate dropped off a new set of fortress diagrams on my desk today. I have entered them into the records.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12794-valleysilences

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

M_Gargantua posted:

From the snow drifts one of the migrants pets springs forth, but rather than in greeting it is as a starved and necrid beast.

It takes a spike from our gate defenses before being repeated skewered by dwarven spears until dead once again.

Why are pets still starving out in the necro zone? Is there a meeting area there or something? Is the wagon still intact? Are they...are they pastured out there? Oh, wait, I bet it just followed one of the wood cutters out there, right?

Well, if some overseer decides we've had enough fun with pets, there is a pleasant solution. You can't slaughter pets but you can pasture them, ensuring that they don't go where you don't want to them to go. Pasture them in the green zone outside and they won't starve, but they will get murdered by wildunlife, so you need to pasture them underground. We have breached the caverns so the fort is full of spores just waiting for dirt or mud.

Dig a room 31X31 near the water system we used to flood the farms. Flood it. Let it dry. Make it a pasture and assign all pets there. Throw in a few nest boxes so egg laying pets can be useful. A farmers workshop will allow you to milk the animals if you want, but it's probably not worth the bother for a few pets unless people are starving.

Tip: you can't mine out the outer wall of the fortress, but you can carve fortifications into it as 'drains'. Water/lava will flow through the drains and off the map, as yet the game doesn't track just where it goes. This helps deliberately flooded areas dry faster, and prevents accidental floods from becoming deadly.

Oh, and indoor pasture zone can also be a recreational area. Set it as a generic meeting zone or as temple to an appropriate god -- there must be some god that likes live things. Or build a statue and make it a statue garden room, or a cage and make it a zoo room. A pleasant area for the children to play.

The reason I don't volunteer to be overseer is I spend too much time on quality-of-life improvements and always forget about the expanding the military until huge invasion forces start showing up.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 17, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does a dead zone exist underground, too? Or does the earth protect us?

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Aw, fiddlesticks! That's no fun way to go...

What's the rules on re-dwarfing? Put me at the bottom of the list if that's OK.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Can we make some kind of corpse lava catapult, and if so when will it be fully operational

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Rather than a catapult, we should modify the temple to have a lava pool at the back, either in front of or behind the altar/statue.

Like so. Channel out a 3x3 pool, then channel out the back of the temple to tap it right out of the volcano. Then floor over the visible parts and patch the walls, so it'd look like a free-standing pool of magma.

Can you build an animal cage or a chained creature on a bridge? If so, we can build a 3x1 bridge over the back of the sacrificial pool and place sacrifices on it to conduct nefarious rituals.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Sometimes I worry about myself :stonk:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Wouldn't the pressure push the magma upwards?
I forgot how fluid dynamics works in dwarf fortress.
But to be fair, that shouldn't stop anyone from executing that plan.

By the way, how does the game calculate heat? Is there a proper diffusion algorithm based on Brownian motion? Because there totally should be.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm pretty sure lava has pressure doesn't it? That would result in the fort being flooded with lava to the level of the top of the volcano, ie all of it.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Wouldn't the pressure push the magma upwards?
I forgot how fluid dynamics works in dwarf fortress.
But to be fair, that shouldn't stop anyone from executing that plan.

By the way, how does the game calculate heat? Is there a proper diffusion algorithm based on Brownian motion? Because there totally should be.

I'm pretty sure magma does not actually have pressure. Mind you, last I played was DF2010 so my information might be out of date. If it does, then we'd need to modify the channel to depressurize by having a diagonal transfer between the volcano and the sacrificial pool but that would also interfere with the proper ritualistic transfer of essences into His Glory through the Heart of the Mountain See attached diagram. Red representing magma channels, blue representing the sacrificial platformdecorative bridge. Unless they changed the pressure mechanics, transfering fluid along a diagonal as pictured resets it to the new pressure level, so this is how you wind up not flooding your farming level from an elevated cistern, for example.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 18, 2018

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Fluid dynamics seem to have changed a bit at some point. I'd glass over the magma at least. Safety first! :eng101:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Safety first! :eng101:

absolutely not

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Water has pressure and will equalize height, magma will not. Magna won't come up higher. It's always been that way since the game went to 3D

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PetraCore posted:

EDIT: Whoops, beaten!

Can we get lore on the other gods, btw? I wanna see how messed up this entire pantheon is.

As of the year 565, the current pantheon of The Banded Diamonds consists of eight known deities: Geshud, Doren, Atir, Tobul Flashlanterns, Istrath, Onol, Angzak Profanedream, and Vesh Puzzlinglanced. Geshud and Vesh have been discussed in previous posts; this post describes Doren, the forgotten goddess.

Doren appears by contemporary reckoning to be a recent addition to the pantheon of The Banded Diamonds, whose sole sphere of influence is minerals. Despite her impressive mononym and association with something so dear to the Dwarven heart, she is a relatively minor deity in our pantheon. She is not known to have contributed anything significant to the world, and the fact that many of her contemporary and historical worshipers are elves would give most dwarves pause — those select few who are aware she exists.

Few accounts of Doren occur in the great archives of The Banded Diamonds; to date, most scholars are completely ignorant of her presence at the the birth of the world, of her exploits hitherto, of her very existence. But long ago, soon after the birth of the world, she was worshiped by the earliest dwarves and even the very first queen of The Banded Diamonds. But the early world was filled with terrors older than the world itself — terrors whose passions were violent beyond dwarven reckoning.

Consultation with the most ancient texts and auguries of the past paint a picture of nearly constant attacks by monstrous, primordial creatures. The second and third leaders of The Banded Diamonds were struck down by beings who must have seemed like vengeful demigods to them, for they shared spheres of influence with Doren and seemed to target The Banded Diamond almost to the exclusion of other prey in their rampages. Within a few short decades, the cult of Doren collapsed entirely as the beleaguered dwarves — perhaps rightly — interpreted the constant enmity of monsters as old as time as the result of their faith. And so was Doren forsaken by the dwarves of The Banded Diamond, and in time she was simply forgotten. Doren endured, silently as gods are sometimes wont to do for centuries beyond the realms of dwarven knowledge; and, through her long silence, the monsters whose wrath had scoured her name from the engraved record of dwarvenkind inherited the world and made it their own.

For in the year 565 of dwarven reckoning, it is still the Age of Myth in The Planes of Omen, and terrors as old as time still stalk the dwarves.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 18, 2018

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
...so Dwarf Pool is into some weird poo poo.

Let the beasts come! Ahahaha!

Also, I've had magma rise up through magma smelters and forges so I'm not sure if that description is truly a complete explanation of actual magma behavior. It may describe intended behavior, but, well...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
In practice, making magma go through a diagonal at some point is a simple enough safety precaution that you might as well.

Of course, that lowers the potential for Fun.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Worshipping Doren is clearly associated with being attacked by giant monsters.

Soon after Dwarves stopped worshipping Doren, the monster attacks subsided.

The only people who worship Doren now are knife-eared treefuckersElves.

The natureloving bastardsElves are a perpetual rival of Dwarves.

Worshipping Doren is clearly an Elf trick intended to draw the monsters back to Dwarvenkind.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I'm pretty sure magma does not actually have pressure. Mind you, last I played was DF2010 so my information might be out of date. If it does, then we'd need to modify the channel to depressurize by having a diagonal transfer between the volcano and the sacrificial pool but that would also interfere with the proper ritualistic transfer of essences into His Glory through the Heart of the Mountain See attached diagram. Red representing magma channels, blue representing the sacrificial platformdecorative bridge. Unless they changed the pressure mechanics, transfering fluid along a diagonal as pictured resets it to the new pressure level, so this is how you wind up not flooding your farming level from an elevated cistern, for example.

Last I've tried magma was unpresurized.

You can help prevent a valuable miner from being lost by smoothing and carving fortifications into the magma instead of mining it out. Often the carver survives. Having a walkway next to a channel also increases the survival rate, as the magma tends to fill the channel rather than the escape walkway. Oh, and if we want the pool to be useful for dumping bodies it should be at least 2 levels deep, so anything that survives the heat is still stuck at the bottom of a pit.

There are still a couple problems though:
  • 1. Magma can splash when you throw things into it. Having worshipers standing around the magma pool is asking for injuries. Usually magma disposal systems have the magma pool itself in a closed space and garbage is tossed in from several floors above.
  • 2. As described, the pool remains connected to the magma tube. That means things in the magma can swim out of the volcano and into the temple. But what kind of crazy creature could live in magma? None, I'm sure.

Due to pathfinding issues, if we're going to have magma disposal both indoors and outdoors, it is best if they are as close as possible to directly above/below each other. So harmless indoor corpses never go outside, and potentially infected outdoor corpses never come inside. It's tricky though, it would almost be better to have only one magma dumping point active at a time, but that would require every overseer to be on the ball 100% of the time to activate and deactivate the dump zones.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Drawing monsters here creates more powerful sacrifices for the fires of torment though. :thunk: The more cursed beings devoured by the volcano, the better off dwarvenkind is.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Worshipping Doren is clearly associated with being attacked by giant monsters.

Soon after Dwarves stopped worshipping Doren, the monster attacks subsided.

The only people who worship Doren now are knife-eared treefuckersElves.

The natureloving bastardsElves are a perpetual rival of Dwarves.

Worshipping Doren is clearly an Elf trick intended to draw the monsters back to Dwarvenkind.

Awesome, then we can kill 'em and be rid of the monsters once and for all. Then we can get started on the elves.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

There are still a couple problems though:
  • 1. Magma can splash when you throw things into it. Having worshipers standing around the magma pool is asking for injuries. Usually magma disposal systems have the magma pool itself in a closed space and garbage is tossed in from several floors above.
  • 2. As described, the pool remains connected to the magma tube. That means things in the magma can swim out of the volcano and into the temple. But what kind of crazy creature could live in magma? None, I'm sure.

Well if anybody gets injured by splashing magma in the rituals, this is clearly a sign of Geshud's disfavour and they deserve what they got. Anyway, putting grates in the magma channel would interfere with the feng shui, so we can't do that either.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Cant we take a leaf from the Umbrella Corporation, and have chambers in the red zone, where animals are locked up to starve to death and then released if the colony comes under attack? I see no way this will ever backfire.

But just in case, maybe have a tunnel entrance which can be flooded with magma in case of an escalating zombie acopolypse? Naturally, I see no way this will ever backfire either.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Well, we've already got the front entrance, right? We could probably rig that up into the good old "retracting bridge over lava pit" trick, but that lacks...pizzazz. Maybe instead of a retractable bridge dropping them into lava, put a lava cistern over it? So, seal the area, drop the bottom out of the lava cistern, lava covers the whole area. Then a third lever to drain it off to an empty cistern below and recycle it, and some pumps to bring the lava back up above the main entrance.

E: Say, if we're going to be dropping lava into an empty pit, why not turn that into obsidian casting? So, lava reservoir above the main entrance. Bottom drops out, filling main entrance with lava. Then lava cistern closes and !!main entrance!! dumps into a water cistern below the main entrance, forming a large, solid block of obsidian the most holy of rocks

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 18, 2018

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm Droopy SportsLunches And Nothing More. :allears:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
And of course, the violence hating hippy gets thrown into the military. :v:

Well, we've already got the front entrance, right? We could probably rig that up into the good old "retracting bridge over lava pit" trick, but that lacks...pizzazz. Maybe instead of a retractable bridge dropping them into lava, put a lava cistern over it? So, seal the area, drop the bottom out of the lava cistern, lava covers the whole area. Then a third lever to drain it off to an empty cistern below and recycle it, and some pumps to bring the lava back up above the main entrance.

E: Say, if we're going to be dropping lava into an empty pit, why not turn that into obsidian casting? So, lava reservoir above the main entrance. Bottom drops out, filling main entrance with lava. Then lava cistern closes and !!main entrance!! dumps into a water cistern below the main entrance, forming a large, solid block of obsidian the most holy of rocks

I forget which thread it was, but we had a 'soul forge'. Essentially, The bodies of any dead dwarves would be thrown into a pool of water, lava dropped down into it to create a solid block of obsidian. Destroyed the body of course but it was written like the obsidian blades made from it contained the enraged souls of the slain.

I vaguely recall a very 'Umbrella Inc.' vibe to it, but I could see that working well into our whole volcano worship angle.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Oh, I remember that too. I think it was the Glacier fort? Headshoots? See, what I was thinking of is, rather than bake the souls of our dead into obsidian, we bake the souls of invaders into obsidian, ideally wholesale by the squad and probably with a dorf in there too, let's face it. This shoots two elves with one bolt y'see, solving the need for both an overly complicated magma-based superweapon and sacrifices to Geshud, Lord of Volcanoes and Deathobsidian production.

Then we use the goblinite-enriched obsidian to make statues of goblins melting in lava and place them in the entryway.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

Oh, I remember that too. I think it was the Glacier fort? Headshoots? See, what I was thinking of is, rather than bake the souls of our dead into obsidian, we bake the souls of invaders into obsidian, ideally wholesale by the squad and probably with a dorf in there too, let's face it. This shoots two elves with one bolt y'see, solving the need for both an overly complicated magma-based superweapon and sacrifices to Geshud, Lord of Volcanoes and Deathobsidian production.

Then we use the goblinite-enriched obsidian to make statues of goblins melting in lava and place them in the entryway.

If overly complicated magma-based superweapons are wrong then I for one don't wanna be right :colbert:
I mean, surely the gods put all that tasty magma there for a reason? And why else did we settle right next to a volcano if not to share its horrible molten death rich blessings with the world?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It was Headshoots, yes. NO IT WASN'T IT WAS SYRUPLEAF. It's in the lp archive.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 18, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
We should not stop until we can make the volcano erupt on-demand via pumpstacks.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You're talking the Boatmurdered Method. Use magma to murderize everyone but us.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
The thread with the Umbrella spinoff was Syrupleaf. (it was called Parasol)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:doh: that's what I get for not double-checking

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We should not stop until we can make the volcano erupt on-demand via pumpstacks.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You're talking the Boatmurdered Method. Use magma to murderize everyone but us.

I fail to see any downsides to this

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Noooooooo, not the second toe on my left foot! That's my favorite toe!

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd love to be dwarfed (dwarved? dorfd?) if possible!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

WereVolvo posted:

I see a shitload of downsides to this

That doesn't mean we shouldn't do it

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

WereVolvo posted:

I didn't say it was a bad thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I see a shitload of downsides to this

That doesn't mean we shouldn't do it

I see downsides too; the lava flowing down the sides of the volcano over dwarf and zombie alike :unsmigghh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I see downsides too; the lava flowing down the sides of the volcano over dwarf and zombie alike :unsmigghh:.

I prefer to view it as "the warm liquid embrace of the heart of the mountains enveloping all in its comforting blanket".