Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Dr. Quarex posted:

I Googled a couple of times until I got a link back to a picture I posted in the 2014 thread and thought "OOOH MAYBE IT IS THERE" and so it is.

Thanks, RocknRollaAyatollah, for posting it in 2014, so I do not need to post one of the loving copies with FAIL LOL MEANWHILE IN AMERICA scrawled on it

needed to show that to a gen con newbie. Want to get her psyched about JINKAWN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Quarex posted:

I Googled a couple of times until I got a link back to a picture I posted in the 2014 thread and thought "OOOH MAYBE IT IS THERE" and so it is.

Thanks, RocknRollaAyatollah, for posting it in 2014, so I do not need to post one of the loving copies with FAIL LOL MEANWHILE IN AMERICA scrawled on it

I actually looked to see if the original was still up on Google images but only that "FAIL" one was. I knew someone would have it and come through with it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Edit: NM

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

loving Old Point Tavern is closed as well? Being replaced by some yuppie upscale ripoff version apparently. Gen con is dead ya'll

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

RIP nachos :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What's parking like if you don't stay downtown? We're at a La Quinta near the airport which is only a short drive away but I assume parking is going to be a bitch?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Parking actually seems fairly adequate from all the reports I have heard, particularly if you plan ahead and pre-buy it. It is even affordable, I think! ! !! !#$*!$

Meanwhile my dream to move to Indianapolis has died so I cannot preemptively offer my apartment to Goonz, alas. Then again I also secretly hated the idea of my annual pilgrimage becoming an annual 5 minute drive the other direction

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Parking at the stadium was a loving BREEZE when I drove and didn't stay downtown. Cheap, and close with no fear of selling out. I'd look into it.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I got a 4 day parking pass at a lot a couple blocks away, but if I was going to drive in again, I'd just park at the stadium. It would have been closer and cheaper. If I remember right, it was $20 a day.
I wonder if you could just leave a car there all weekend. It would be cheaper then paying hotel parking/valet rates.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Len posted:

What's parking like if you don't stay downtown? We're at a La Quinta near the airport which is only a short drive away but I assume parking is going to be a bitch?

I used Park Whiz and reserved a spot all four days, about a five minute walk from the Center. It was $6-7 a day. Kinda sucked at the end of a long day to walk back though. This year I think we're just going to Uber/Lyft back and forth, it's a ten minute drive.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I used Park Whiz and reserved a spot all four days, about a five minute walk from the Center. It was $6-7 a day. Kinda sucked at the end of a long day to walk back though. This year I think we're just going to Uber/Lyft back and forth, it's a ten minute drive.

I've never used Uber or Lyft wouldn't that end up being on the pricey side because of surge pricing?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Len posted:

I've never used Uber or Lyft wouldn't that end up being on the pricey side because of surge pricing?

It's been a while since I used it actually. If it's pricey the first day, we'll figure something else out.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Last year Uber rides were dirt cheap. We had a crew of 4 in a 2 mile ride was like 2 dollars.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Slandible posted:

Last year Uber rides were dirt cheap. We had a crew of 4 in a 2 mile ride was like 2 dollars.

That... is too cheap. I think now I see why the average person earns less than minimum wage driving for those companies, ha. BUT HEY, GOOD DEAL THOUGH!

Have any of you considered walking to Gen-Con from your home states

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Uber from the airport hotels was around 25 one way.

I just looked for parking every day. Sometimes I would find a spot quick, sometimes not. Around $20 for the day in all the ramps.

We did take an uber to the restaurant that had Paizo Starfinder shirts and goodies from the Con, it was about a 5 min drive. Cost around $10.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Len posted:

Surge pricing just means you have an excuse to keep playing games for another half hour while you wait for it to go away.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Rent van, buy parking pass, sleep in van. Save!

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

edit: what the hell, this isn't the thread I was trying to reply to.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 18, 2018

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I just wrapped up my winter convention tour. Hit up the Philadelphia Bee Keeper Symposium (not really a game convention but I was showing a game there so...), Dreamation, Gary Con and Unpub 8. Gary Con is still my favorite convention, Unpub 8 was absolutely amazing for someone putting a game out this year, Dreamation was... ok. Next up for me is Origins and then Dice Tower Con. It's great going to all these cons but it also shows me just how special Gen Con is to me. It's always there, pulling at me, in the back of mind... Gen Con is coming... and that anticipation is eclipsing the excitement for all of these other cons I am hitting.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Has Gary Con threatened to overwhelm the confines of Lake Geneva forcing history to unironically repeat itself?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Has Gary Con threatened to overwhelm the confines of Lake Geneva forcing history to unironically repeat itself?

Has the geneva convention stopped war crimes, herr doktor?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

It has. Attendance was at like 3000 this year and the hotel rooms for next year sold out in under 2 hours.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
GaryCon was still pretty cool this year. Didn't seem any worse than last year, tho.

Got to play in the "We are Grung!" D&D Adventure League adventure with 200 other people. Everyone played with level 1 Grung pre-gens. When you died, you would randomly come back as another. They use a color caste and my table had a revolution because the worker/fighting class didn't like to be bossed around. This chick at the table was Princess Bubbles and being the Wizard I was higher caste, so I tried protecting her but she ultimately died and got all angry. But then she got her new pre-gen and was still angry and spent the rest of the game trying to sabotage the adventure for everyone else by not cooperating. It was all for fun and she just checked out. 200 people all making high pitched frog voices for five hours was insane.

This is a Grung:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah, the grung event was pretty cool. Some people got kind of drunk by the end of it and got a little annoying (mainly just because of how loud the whole room was growing) but it was great over all. A+++ would grung again.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Did you get to play the event the night before? I forget what it was called, but it was 4-5 levels of puzzles and traps? We finished it almost an hour and a half before everyone else (The puzzles just clicked for us, I guess. Sudoku masters!) and the DM said we got close to full points. When we finished, we looked at the table next to us and they were on the first puzzle still.

The people who ended up winning with something like 390 points and our DM just kinda raised an eyebrow and said she has no idea where they got those points from. I think we may have missed something in the middle somewhere...

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Do you mean the return to Tamoachan epic? I've DMed a bunch of a the competitive epics and the scoring system, frankly, is busted and a joke. There is no standardization to it and it entirely depends on both how generous your DM, how difficult they run the encounters, and how well they do book keeping. I was really strict about it and ran a tough table the first time I DMed one of these (the D&D Open 2 or 3 years ago) and the table I rand had a score of around negative 115 point. The winning team had something like 2000 points. I don't know how that was even possible, even if you went into the dungeon naked. Its pretty borked IMO.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

nesbit37 posted:

Do you mean the return to Tamoachan epic? I've DMed a bunch of a the competitive epics and the scoring system, frankly, is busted and a joke. There is no standardization to it and it entirely depends on both how generous your DM, how difficult they run the encounters, and how well they do book keeping. I was really strict about it and ran a tough table the first time I DMed one of these (the D&D Open 2 or 3 years ago) and the table I rand had a score of around negative 115 point. The winning team had something like 2000 points. I don't know how that was even possible, even if you went into the dungeon naked. Its pretty borked IMO.

No, that was last year I think. We had two people die in the first 10 minutes and then we just got analysis paralysis for the remainder and it wasn't much fun. I can't remember what the one I mentioned above was called, but we used pregens again. Kind of strange for AL games, but it was fun as hell!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah that was Return to Tamoachan this year.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Ah, okay then. Those huge demon statues for prizes were cool, but I don't even know where someone would keep those things.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

It has. Attendance was at like 3000 this year and the hotel rooms for next year sold out in under 2 hours.
Yeah that sounds about as I figured. MAN I REMEMBER BACK WHEN GARY CON WAS oh whatever everyone knew this was going to happen, you cannot keep a cool event down

I am glad I went to Gary Con back when it was still new enough that I was assumed to be with the press solely because I was nicely-dressed and carrying a fancy camera.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
GENCONOMGGGGGGGG

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Have they announced when the event catalog is coming out?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Oh yeah i need to book a flight

GENCON

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Funzo posted:

Event reg. ends on May 6th, so after that?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Funzo posted:

Well, I haven't seen an official date, but event reg starts on May 6. They usually have the catalog out a couple of weeks before, so it should be fairly soon.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I have possibly my best event ever planned out already and I've basically designed it for the Goon High Lethal Rotating Cast game. V Hype

i may or may not be making a Cat and Truck player sheet for a certain two someones

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm kind of sad I won't be doing any game events this year. I need to actually see if I can find some podcasts to be on about the game I'll be kickstarting in September/October. Anyone have any good tips on how to go about that?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Begging via email and twitter seems to be the way most manage it, other than looking for talks done by the podcast and handing out business cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I have possibly my best event ever planned out already and I've basically designed it for the Goon High Lethal Rotating Cast game. V Hype

i may or may not be making a Cat and Truck player sheet for a certain two someones

I love you.