Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

On this most holy day of solemnity many Catholics in the United States will get blackout drunk before noon.

You could probably complain about that. I'm not sure where your idea that St. Patrick is a genocidal maniac came from.
uh no? the catholodox always get lit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

I think it's pretty well-established that the 'removing snakes from ireland' thing is a reference to his christianizing influence, which wasn't always peaceful. I'd be happy to know more, though.
No it is literally a reference to the fact that there are no snakes in ireland. he fought a wizard duel with a druid, but he didn't genocide poo poo.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
sometimes a snake is just a snake

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HEY GUNS posted:

No it is literally a reference to the fact that there are no snakes in ireland. he fought a wizard duel with a druid, but he didn't genocide poo poo.

I want to hear more about the wizard duel.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
How the heck am I supposed to take communion when I can't even confess because this week there isn't even a priest, just the deacon leading a liturgical...thing... and then giving an awful homily about how this is a chance for us to change and I am just livid at this awful proto-protestant nonsense I just got subjected to.

The churches are empty. Doubling down on abandoning our traditions and sacraments won't bring anyone back.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Tias posted:

I think I found the sum total of your problem :)

are you serious

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ceciltron posted:

awful proto-protestant nonsense ...The churches are empty. Doubling down on abandoning our traditions and sacraments won't bring anyone back.
investigate orthodoxy

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

How the heck am I supposed to take communion when I can't even confess because this week there isn't even a priest, just the deacon leading a liturgical...thing... and then giving an awful homily about how this is a chance for us to change and I am just livid at this awful proto-protestant nonsense I just got subjected to.

The churches are empty. Doubling down on abandoning our traditions and sacraments won't bring anyone back.

:glomp:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

investigate orthodoxy

Flipping the coin between orthodoxy and SSPX

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ceciltron posted:

Who needs a priest to confess? Confessing your sins is between you and God. Talk with someone you trust if you're feeling guilty or conflicted.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

Who needs a priest to confess?
He's a catholic and this is deeply important to him

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Who needs a priest to confess? Confessing your sins is between you and God. Talk with someone you trust if you're feeling guilty or conflicted.

It's true, God dwells in the heart, and that connection is permenantly inalienable.

The role a priest is ordained to fulfill is to act in the persona of Christ, not unlike how Christ was incarnate in the boy and man named Jesus. Two spirits can be better than one. But I also do not question the salvation of believers who do not regularly go to an ordained priest to confess wrongdoing.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Cythereal posted:

father forgive me for i have sinned grievously by reading ur posts

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ceciltron posted:

you know there’s a priest shortage, right? it’s been going on for decades and is unlikely to let up anytime soon

which means, as a lot of liturgical changes have happened throughout history, the church is likely to need to come up with a theological explanation for why what’s currently normative is okay. there’s a lot of places in america where priests are rarely found, and when you can only do confession maybe once a month at best you’re gonna come up with reasons why actually it’s fine

seriously unless the global trend across all religions of “nobody becomes a religious” somehow reverses (which would be a feat since the requirements are so diverse and yet no one wants to do it) i wouldn’t be surprised if outside of a century we see some radical interpretations of the sacraments in terms of “who gives them and how often they need to be received.” and while orthodoxy is historically more theologically insular, the fact that they do infant baptism means they will change liturgically when necessary. sspx i don’t know enough about but i’m guessing they’re small enough that a lack of priests over a wide territory of practitioners isn’t as big a problem for now, but it’s likely to become one if they ever expand membership in any significant way (which seems unlikely since i don’t think they have the institutional clout to gain larger numbers beyond individual followers)

i do think the conversation about the vocations crisis is going to move from “temporary emergency powers” to “permanent deaconate duties” which will necessitate new liturgical theology

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cythereal posted:

Scripture tells us to confess our sins to one another. The Church used to practice public confession for major sins, but that became impractical after Constantine mainstreamed Christianity. The priest therefore acts as a stand-in for the rest of the congregation, if not the rest of the Body of Christ, to witness and accept the confession, pray for absolution, and reconcile you with the Church. This is especially important in a Eucharistic context, where our communion with Christ and the Church has its own physical fulfillment and expression, which is itself the focal point of all our worship. The priest can also offer advice or impose a penance in order to help you heal from your sin and grow in faith.

Besides, there's definitely a special feeling in having a flesh-and-blood person listen to the worst things you've ever done, can't repeat it to anyone, but who can then pronounce you Forgiven. In Orthodoxy, this involves the priest putting his stole on your head and tapping the shape of a cross on you. In other words, forgiveness is actually acted out physically upon you.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Senju Kannon posted:

sspx i don’t know enough about but i’m guessing they’re small enough that a lack of priests over a wide territory of practitioners isn’t as big a problem for now, but it’s likely to become one if they ever expand membership in any significant way (which seems unlikely since i don’t think they have the institutional clout to gain larger numbers beyond individual followers)

This is correct.

Night10194 posted:

I want to hear more about the wizard duel.

This is also correct

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Worthleast posted:

This is correct.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be flippant. I guess this is one of those things I just don't get and likely never will.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cythereal, have you ever looked into the Bhagavad Gita? I'm from a similar hyper-baptist background and have found parts of it helpful.

quote:

Now I know why the universe
delights and rejoices in you;
terrified, the demons scatter
before you, and the sages bow.

Why should they not bow,
eternal Creator, infinite Lord?
You are both being and nonbeing,
and what is beyond them both,

the primal God, the primordial Person,
the ultimate place of the universe,
the knower and the known,
the presence that fills all things.

You are wind, death, fire, the moon,
the Lord of life, the great ancestor
of all things. A thousand times
I bow in front of you, Lord.

Again and again I bow to you,
from all sides, in every direction.
Majesty infinite in power,
you pervade—no, you are—all things.

If, thinking you a human,
I ever touched you or patted your back
or called you “dear fellow” or “friend”
through negligence or affection,

or greeted you with disrespect,
thoughtlessly, when we were playing
or resting, alone or in public,
I beg you to forgive me, immeasurable

God, great father of the world,
teacher, sustainer, goal
of all reverence, unique and peerless
Lord of unthinkable splendor.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Ceciltron posted:

Flipping the coin between orthodoxy and SSPX

If I see a dancing robot at Mass tomorrow I'll ask if it has stairs in its house.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Worthleast posted:

If I see a dancing robot at Mass tomorrow I'll ask if it has stairs in its house.

Liturgical dancing is a valid form of worship!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Ceciltron posted:

Liturgical dancing is a valid form of worship!

... the SSPX might not be your best choice...

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Thirteen Orphans posted:

... the SSPX might not be your best choice...

But the priest has his back to you! He can't see!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

aren't sspx confessions still licit? what is the canonical status of rcc-orthodox confession anyway?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Numerical Anxiety posted:

I generally tell them that if I wanted a non-Trinitarian faith, I'd at least be intellectually honest about it - that would entail converting to Islam.

Don't forget:

"The Phlegmatist posted:

On a related note there was a poll done recently where 71% of evangelicals said Jesus was the first and greatest being created by God.

The non-Trinitarians already won.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Senju Kannon posted:

you know there’s a priest shortage, right? it’s been going on for decades and is unlikely to let up anytime soon

which means, as a lot of liturgical changes have happened throughout history, the church is likely to need to come up with a theological explanation for why what’s currently normative is okay. there’s a lot of places in america where priests are rarely found, and when you can only do confession maybe once a month at best you’re gonna come up with reasons why actually it’s fine

seriously unless the global trend across all religions of “nobody becomes a religious” somehow reverses (which would be a feat since the requirements are so diverse and yet no one wants to do it) i wouldn’t be surprised if outside of a century we see some radical interpretations of the sacraments in terms of “who gives them and how often they need to be received.” and while orthodoxy is historically more theologically insular, the fact that they do infant baptism means they will change liturgically when necessary. sspx i don’t know enough about but i’m guessing they’re small enough that a lack of priests over a wide territory of practitioners isn’t as big a problem for now, but it’s likely to become one if they ever expand membership in any significant way (which seems unlikely since i don’t think they have the institutional clout to gain larger numbers beyond individual followers)

i do think the conversation about the vocations crisis is going to move from “temporary emergency powers” to “permanent deaconate duties” which will necessitate new liturgical theology

The crisis is not one of vocations but one of Catholic families. 75%+ of Catholics don't go to Mass more than once a year, if that. Vocations come from Catholic families. To fix the vocations issue one must first find out why so many Catholics are abandoning their faith, and challenge them to live it.

At certain Seminaries you are starting to see a resurgence. I live in the D.C. area and their seminary has over 100 young men discerning. Cleveland, my old hometown also has a very large class. My thought is that as the Catholic Church shrinks and condenses in some areas, and most of the families that stay involved are the serious ones, there will be a resurgence.

celitron posted:

I'm sorry to hear the Sacraments are not being offered as they should brother, I must consider myself very blessed as at our Parish we have 2 very active (and young) Priests) who instituted confession during Mass (essentially, one Priest sits in the confessional while the other says the Mass), along with at least 3 weekly opportunities for confession, so no one in our Parish has any excuse for not being able to go to Confession.

I have heard from some clergy there is a discouraged attitude toward offering confession though, because at many parishes most Catholics don't partake of it. Our Priests make sure to talk about it at every homily though, so our lines have gotten quite full compared to what they were a few years ago.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

aren't sspx confessions still licit? what is the canonical status of rcc-orthodox confession anyway?

Orthodox confessions are valid but not licit. SSPX confessions were only valid during the Year of Mercy that Francis proclaimed in 2015.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
We really can't let the confessional booth go extinct. It's simply too important to the mechanics of many hollywood movies.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Skipped 107 posts to say that I'm listening to Mass on the radio and the the opening ask for forgiveness for the dead, the priest asked for forgiveness for "Casimir, Casimir, Casimir, and Casimir" which felt a little strange.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Dude must be in need of plenty of forgiveness I guess :v:

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011

JcDent posted:

Skipped 107 posts to say that I'm listening to Mass on the radio and the the opening ask for forgiveness for the dead, the priest asked for forgiveness for "Casimir, Casimir, Casimir, and Casimir" which felt a little strange.

I like to imagine that the priest is staring directly at Casimir in the pews as he says that, who begins to fidget uncomfortably

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Epicurius posted:

Orthodox confessions are valid but not licit. SSPX confessions were only valid during the Year of Mercy that Francis proclaimed in 2015.

SSPX confessions are valid and licit per Pope Francis Misericordia et Misera

quote:

For the Jubilee Year I had also granted that those faithful who, for various reasons, attend churches officiated by the priests of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Pius X, can validly and licitly receive the sacramental absolution of their sins.[15] For the pastoral benefit of these faithful, and trusting in the good will of their priests to strive with God’s help for the recovery of full communion in the Catholic Church, I have personally decided to extend this faculty beyond the Jubilee Year, until further provisions are made, lest anyone ever be deprived of the sacramental sign of reconciliation through the Church’s pardon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

shame on an IGA posted:

Cythereal, have you ever looked into the Bhagavad Gita? I'm from a similar hyper-baptist background and have found parts of it helpful.

I think the spiritual impulse is a common one across mankind. God created us with the desire to seek Him, and I think it is part of the human condition to need to believe in something greater than oneself, even if it's not expressly couched in terms of religion.

I've actually been attending a Catholic church for the past month or so now, it has a much better community than any Protestant church I've been to where I'm living at the moment, but I can't see myself converting unless unusual circumstances were involved. I just don't agree with Catholic theology, even if I can appreciate the church community.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Goobish posted:

Is there anything you guys do when you're feeling out of touch spiritually? Lately I don't want to go to church anymore (I used to love it), I get pissy about tithing but feel obligated for a couple reasons, the Bible bores the poo poo out of me at best. Sometimes it just straight up pisses me off. Like I don't consider myself ultra religious or anything but I'm a bit worried something is up. Things just aren't clicking like they used to or something. I've thought about just talking to my pastor but I'm easily embarrassed about this stuff. Maybe I need a break? Is feeling this way normal? My girlfriend jokes that I'm a catholic at heart and maybe she's right because all of this makes me feel extremely guilty and maybe I'd be more interested in church lately if there were cooler hats.

I have had that happen multiple times as a Catholic. Church becomes a big chore of getting up on Sunday, getting the kids to get themselves ready, refereeing all their petty arguments, arriving and getting everybody in, etc. That plus a demanding work schedule gets me so weary after a while that I just lose touch for a bit. One thing that helped me during those times was just to go to Adoration and just sit for a while, not worrying about prayer or anything.

Sometimes as Christians we just need to lash ourselves to the Cross and treat it like a life preserver...just hold on for dear life and ask God to keep us afloat till we get to dry land.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I'm sorry to hear the Sacraments are not being offered as they should brother, I must consider myself very blessed as at our Parish we have 2 very active (and young) Priests) who instituted confession during Mass (essentially, one Priest sits in the confessional while the other says the Mass), along with at least 3 weekly opportunities for confession, so no one in our Parish has any excuse for not being able to go to Confession.

I have heard from some clergy there is a discouraged attitude toward offering confession though, because at many parishes most Catholics don't partake of it. Our Priests make sure to talk about it at every homily though, so our lines have gotten quite full compared to what they were a few years ago.

The confession times at my parish make it nearly impossible for people who work to actually receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation. 11 AM on weekdays? Uh, sure, let me just...take off of work? Then there's an hour available on Saturday but it's a crapshoot if you even get to see the priest because we have a lot of older guys in our parish that love to go into the confessional and ramble about porn addiction for fifteen minutes. And of course the parish council thinks this is fine because it's comprised entirely of retirees who don't seem to understand that it's hard for most people to actually make it to confession on a weekday. Offering confession during Mass times would be the ideal solution since people are already at church anyway but there doesn't seem to be support for it among the clergy at my parish.

e: oh there's also no confession times during Holy Week period so hope you remain in a state of grace all week leading up to Easter!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Phlegmatist posted:

e: oh there's also no confession times during Holy Week period so hope you remain in a state of grace all week leading up to Easter!

lol what the gently caress

im insanely lucky to live in a town of barely 100k people and has six churches

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
wut

this is literally the time when the people who give no fucks during the rest of the year go to confession and then to liturgy lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Goobish posted:

Is there anything you guys do when you're feeling out of touch spiritually? Lately I don't want to go to church anymore (I used to love it), I get pissy about tithing but feel obligated for a couple reasons, the Bible bores the poo poo out of me at best. Sometimes it just straight up pisses me off. Like I don't consider myself ultra religious or anything but I'm a bit worried something is up. Things just aren't clicking like they used to or something. I've thought about just talking to my pastor but I'm easily embarrassed about this stuff. Maybe I need a break? Is feeling this way normal? My girlfriend jokes that I'm a catholic at heart and maybe she's right because all of this makes me feel extremely guilty and maybe I'd be more interested in church lately if there were cooler hats.

The Phlegmatist posted:

You're being drawn into the One True Church where the priests have funny hats but NOT beards or wives.

On a more serious note, this feeling is normal but Protestants just don't have much to do outside of reading the Bible and going to church. As opposed to Catholics, who have the liturgy of the hours, the rosary, holy water, etc. which allow you to connect with the church at all times even when you're not really feelin' it. See if your church has any volunteer groups you can join, because that was always helpful for me.

also going back to this i've started saying lauds/compline (morning and night prayers) and it helps a lot to have a routine with prayers set for the day. on a related subject, i'm trying to make a decision in the near future and i could use you guys' prayers

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Cythereal posted:

My problem with Mormons is that they tend to say they're Christians when by my definitions they are not, they're a different and separate Abrahamic faith.

Mormon chat has summoned me to post itt again yay
I understand why it feels weird and even disrespectful to you for Mormons to call ourselves Christian. And, like, I’m fine with people calling us whatever. But I hope you can understand why a person who believes that salvation can only come in and through Jesus Christ, who they believe was divine, died for their sins, and was resurrected, would want to claim the name “Christian.”

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

smug n stuff posted:

I understand why it feels weird and even disrespectful to you for Mormons to call ourselves Christian. And, like, I’m fine with people calling us whatever. But I hope you can understand why a person who believes that salvation can only come in and through Jesus Christ, who they believe was divine, died for their sins, and was resurrected, would want to claim the name “Christian.”

it's no worse than any other Arians, and we called those guys Christian, they just weren't Orthodox. You're in the company of some cool early-medieval kings, bro :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

smug n stuff posted:

I think I said something similar when this last came up, but it's fair to say both that Mormonism is outside of little-o orthodox Christianity and also that it's not our place to say who is and isn't Christian. There are significant theological differences between LDS groups and the rest of Christianity, but they follow Christ and consider themselves Christian. Who are we to say otherwise, especially since this thread is all about inclusivity despite our differences?

• Locked thread