Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
there's a unique heartbeat sound effect when the jailers are draining your HP.

I like it because it reminds me of rear end in a top hat roguelike enemies with LoS effects, and also they're essentially another enemy that punishes being scared of them. if you just run at them and smack them around there's very little they can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Iryrhill dungeon has to be one of the lowest points in the entire series imo

It's neither interesting not fun imo, and it funnels you into an area that could have potentially been good but feels rushed and incomplete (and the boss there is super lame) so there's not really a good reward at the end of the tedium

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

there's a unique heartbeat sound effect when the jailers are draining your HP.

yea it just all happens super fast and they drain a lot. i realize that complaining "this thing in dark souls isn't very clear" is a pretty dumb argument since that's the whole point but idk, that ability just feels kinda janky.

anyway, beat pontiff sulyvahn in like 5-6 tries, it wasn't that hard at least for my playstyle. you just kinda stay close and circle around his left and he can rarely hit you. using a UGS you can typically hit both him and his echo while it's spawning and can sometimes kill it before it becomes fully active, so that's nice.

i've been sitting on one titanite chunk for so long but i needed two to upgrade my zwei, so i looked up where to find another one. turns out i can get one from the crows in firelink! so i run up there, drop 'em a black firebomb... and then this is the part where i reveal i've played way too much dark souls 1 because i immediately log out and log back in. i uhhhhh didn't realize the trade is instant in this game. now i can't get a titanite chunk from them :(

also i stabbed a woman in the face and we got married i guess :toot:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Congratulations on the wedding! :3:

The Protagonist posted:

I'm still looking for the grab attack one
It's in the lava.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
That brings back memories of fighting Sulyvahn and going through Irithyll the first time. I was playing on a steam box and streaming over WiFi. I just couldn’t beat the boss and I died sooooooo many times getting past the entrance.

I finally got my controller hooked up directly to my computer and it was ridiculously easier. That was definitely the most satisfying of all my boss kills.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Finally managed to reach the twin demons at sl 80... and it is not lookin' so good. Switched to dark damage but still, this might be a serious brick wall. Only other bosses available standing are Ocerios, Friede and Cinder. Anyone wanna help me smack down the demon brothers?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

are scythes worth using? ive wanted to get good with them for a while but they just always feel weak compared to other long weapons.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they're a bit undertuned IMO but they're ok. not as good as halberds, I think. kinda wonky hitboxes means a 2nd r1 is not guaranteed after the first.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

are scythes worth using? ive wanted to get good with them for a while but they just always feel weak compared to other long weapons.

The Corvian one is the only one that's good.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I bought the game on PS4 for player interaction. I immediately regret it. The framerate is terrible and in another 7 hours the rest of the game will download and I will be able to warp to high wall.

Welp, back to the cheater server access plan on PC.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
So uh is the pvp stuff always so laggy and terrible? I can't even tell whether I'm hitting someone half the time, I can't really even fathom how you backstab someone

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
That sounds like an issue on your end maybe. You can see plenty of videos on YouTube of what it looks like. There is some lag and you kind of get a feel for it, but it's very rare when you can't even see if you're going to hit someone.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There are lots of reasons that could happen that aren't your fault and that you can't really do anything about, like for instance the fact that the game only has two matchmaking regions -- "Japan" and "everywhere else."

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
It shouldn't always be like that though. I live in Mexico and I have bad lag like maybe 10% of my invasions. Probably closer to one in twenty where you have some guy sliding across the floor and people randomly dying. The most common problem is phantom ranges though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

after having minimal issues with pontiff, aldrich seems kind of unfair for a melee build :thunk:

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5b3itKnIZo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

after having minimal issues with pontiff, aldrich seems kind of unfair for a melee build :thunk:

He's easy for melee builds, but you need to be fast. He reappears in the diagonal opposite direction of where he burrows, so you simply need to run up next to him every time as he's unburrowing, stay in front of him, and attempt to bait his slow scythe attacks. After that, he's usually stuck on the ground for a few seconds, giving you an opportunity to whack his tail. You sometimes get unlucky and he still does Moonsilver Rain, but you should have a nearly maxed out Estus Flask by this point and can afford to tank a few ticks of it while you're running away.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Kaubocks posted:

Charge him down immediately

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ah, hadn't put together that it's always the diagonal so i was getting pelted by tons of purple darts trying to make it over to him

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Well that’s a new one. Usually I just like skate off to the side when I hit that thing.

https://youtu.be/YlGrtC88Mco

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Hello, I am very annoyed that the "complete edition" or whatever of DS3 gets discounted on Steam sometimes but the DLC itself never does. Suck my rear end, Namco.

That is all.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Walrus Pete posted:

Hello, I am very annoyed that the "complete edition" or whatever of DS3 gets discounted on Steam sometimes but the DLC itself never does. Suck my rear end, Namco.

That is all.

I just bought the game and the DLC from a goon in SA mart who had bought march's humble bundle but didn't use the codes. It cost me 12 bucks. Try there!

The DLC and game codes were both seperate so maybe you'll find someone willing to sell just the DLC?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Sooo I'm laying out black serpents all day then following up with chaos bed and it's fuckin nasty

Pyromancy range seems to pair really well with obscuring ring.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

All right; the game finally downloaded on PSN. Good jorb. Here we go.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Laminator posted:

So uh is the pvp stuff always so laggy and terrible? I can't even tell whether I'm hitting someone half the time, I can't really even fathom how you backstab someone

Make sure you aren't using Wi-Fi. Running a proper Ethernet cable makes a big difference.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I bought the game on PS4 for player interaction. I immediately regret it. The framerate is terrible and in another 7 hours the rest of the game will download and I will be able to warp to high wall.

Welp, back to the cheater server access plan on PC.

By "the framerate is terrible" do you mean it's 30 FPS or lower? Because I've always had consistent framerate on PS4, even if it's not the 60 you might be used to on PC.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

By "the framerate is terrible" do you mean it's 30 FPS or lower? Because I've always had consistent framerate on PS4, even if it's not the 60 you might be used to on PC.

Well, I think it may have something to do with the Twitch downsampling on my TV in retrospect. It wasn't so bad. You get used to it - I mean, it's certainly better on PC, but it wasn't too bad on PS4. At least the framerate was steady.

Plenty of multiplayer invasions; undead settlement is absolute loving nonsense with full havel and gundyr invaders in NG - but also a bunch of goldbro twinkies. . . I don't summon people, so it doesn't bother me too much, but it was just silly. I seemed to get pulled in to NG+ a few times as well, which is just useless.

The swamp before Crystal Sage was kind of dead, but it was late. I got summoned as a blue sentinel twice within an hour in Cathedral; that NEVER happens on PC. What DOES bother me is that if you take an elevator your summon sign disappears. It does that on PC as well, but it's just loving lame. In Cathedral it's especially bad because there are three elevators right by that chapel bonfire.

Unfortunately the PS4 controller battery is internal and only lasts for like 5 hours, but it seems to me that the multiplayer on PS4 is still pretty lively, which is nice.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Kaubocks posted:

ah, hadn't put together that it's always the diagonal so i was getting pelted by tons of purple darts trying to make it over to him

While you've probably beaten it by now.

I spent the evening being a Sunbro for that fight. Before I finally got around to murdering him in his crib because I spent a metric John Goodman of souls overleveling with my bounty. It's the same story as most bosses: the hard part is learning which animation leads to what attack when getting hit does 40%+ damage to you. Oh and not being greedy when the whirlpool AoE signals.

The little homing blips mostly punish you for healing (or standing still and wondering why the hell the host player is still doing absolutely nothing after you dodged and baited all of the attacks for 1-2 minutes straight).

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Plenty of multiplayer invasions; undead settlement is absolute loving nonsense with full havel and gundyr invaders in NG - but also a bunch of goldbro twinkies. . . I don't summon people, so it doesn't bother me too much, but it was just silly. I seemed to get pulled in to NG+ a few times as well, which is just useless.

:stare:

I have hundreds of hours in the game and have never seen Havel’s or Gundyr’s gear in Undead Settlement in NG. Are you born under a bad sign? What level were you?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HaB posted:

I have hundreds of hours in the game and have never seen Havel’s or Gundyr’s gear in Undead Settlement in NG. Are you born under a bad sign? What level were you?

When I started my last run through there was a Havel invader who ganked me in the High Wall of Lothric at like SL 8.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
So how do I avoid getting gruesomely killed by Darkeater Midir's supercharged anime beam attack?

I mean, 'run next to him before it fires' seems to work just fine, the problem being that the arena is rather big and that isn't an option when he ends up so far away that even running full-tilt I won't make it in time, so it feels like it's just a crapshoot of 'is he going to jump far away or not so far away before deciding to do this attack?'

Just to make me feel worse: I got him down to the point where one hit would have killed him last night, immediately after I was a tiny bit too slow running from behind him to exploit his vulnerability after using his anime beam.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 18, 2018

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
My tactic is mostly roll and pray.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

HaB posted:

Just starting the game with a new character. And as for getting summoned into NG+. . . who the gently caress knows. I suspect that type of shenanigan will abate as I've moved into mid-game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
earlygame is a twink clusterfuck, but when you're not summoning you don't usually get invaded.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

IronicDongz posted:

earlygame is a twink clusterfuck, but when you're not summoning you don't usually get invaded.

There are enough people invading in those early game areas that you will get invaded whether you summon or not, so you should just summon or play unembered if you really want to solo.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm trying to find a music track, I could have sworn it was from dark souls or possibly bloodborne, it was heavy on piano, sounded a little like Siege of Madrigal, and was not Gwyn's theme. Super helpful I know

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Chad Jihad posted:

I'm trying to find a music track, I could have sworn it was from dark souls or possibly bloodborne, it was heavy on piano, sounded a little like Siege of Madrigal, and was not Gwyn's theme. Super helpful I know

Maybe the Majula theme from Dark Souls 2? This series tends to prefer strings and choirs to piano tracks, or like wacky harpsichords in Demons Souls

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
There is a cool-down timer that blocks you from being invaded twice in a row that also kicks in after you kill a boss. Basically, you're going to die multiple times learning a level and being invaded is the only way to change things up once you've gotten the hang of an area.

You remove the cool down timer by dry fingering yourself or disconnecting when an invader is in your world.

Also, one day dark souls 3 online will no longer be a thing. Learn the lessons of demon souls and enjoy ds3 pvp while we have it. The way of white circlet item description even gives a lore reason for enjoying pvp. There's enough advice on the internet to be passable with starting equipment.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
That doesn't seem right to me, I get invaded solo without fail after pontiff, archdragon, and demon prince, and i've never disconnected on an invasion.
e: seems like maybe zones have independent timers.

skasion posted:

Maybe the Majula theme from Dark Souls 2? This series tends to prefer strings and choirs to piano tracks, or like wacky harpsichords in Demons Souls

Firelink Shrine alternate music, and Aldia's boss music come to mind as well.

hampig fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

asio posted:

...dry fingering yourself...

Is it really just me that gets bothered by this?