Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My favorite Windows 10 story is the time they pushed a patch down that included a new Intel display driver. This driver consistently caused a bsod about 30 seconds after boot, meaning it was a race against time to disable said driver and roll it back before the whole thing crashed. The best part - this was on a loving Surface Book. :wtc:

Boris Galerkin posted:

KillHour I do sympathize with you cause I’ve been there before where I just needed poo poo to work right now but that job sounds horrible in so many ways. You’re essentially your own IT department, sales, research and development (of educational materials), and so on, and it doesn’t sound like the company values that at all because they don’t give you the support you need to improve. Plus all the traveling.

Seriously I would ask yourself if this is really worth the stress and associated health problems from stress and the loss of so much personal time. If you really do have contacts that have offered you a job I would seriously consider them with the #1 question being “is this less stressful.”

They pay me a lot of lip service about how crucial I am and I do get away with probably a lot more than other employees in terms of telling people no, but they're famously tight asses when it comes to money. My boss has been asking for another trainer for a year so I can focus more on business development but that just keeps falling through; probably because I work 60 hour weeks to keep things running and nothing has caused the company to lose a customer yet.

My biggest consideration for a new job is that I live in a very low cost part of the country so I would have to make double or more to be worth relocating to a major city like San Francisco or London. I have no interest in living in NY or Boston.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd rather live in a shed in the Ukraine then London TBH.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'd rather live in a shed in the Ukraine then London TBH.

It's one of the places I might have an opportunity. They would have to pay me a lot.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like an outlier in that I never have problems with Windows 10 other than the oversensitive antivirus.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

KillHour posted:

It's one of the places I might have an opportunity. They would have to pay me a lot.

Honestly I wouldn't. I have never met so many stressed anxious people in my life.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Honestly I wouldn't. I have never met so many stressed anxious people in my life.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I don't know if anyone else has experienced a similar Windows 10 FCU issue, but I have a server added to the Server Manager. That server has an active Hyper-V role. I was completely unable to access Hyper-V on that server no matter what I tried- it kept stating Access Denied. Took about an hour of Google searching until I came across someone mentioning they had to modify two registry entries to get it to work again. The kicker? The registry modifications were lifted verbatim from a 1607 build install and placed in a 1709 install and that was the only way this would work.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like an outlier in that I never have problems with Windows 10 other than the oversensitive antivirus.
:same: but I credit it to not being in a major revenue centre, so feature patches come out a lot slower, there's no Cortana availability loving with the Start menu, and there's no advertising being streamed.

Yet.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Well my current annoyance with it is that my Start Menu seems broken in that it can't find any applications anymore, just files. So you hit the Windows Key type "notepad", even C++ header files show up, but no Notepad.exe. This is after I fixed it not being able start any application when you click it.

Somethings you would expect to just not break, like an application launcher. It being one of the things you use an OS for in the first place.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Hey quick question...

Is a win10 upgrade from win7 still free in any form?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Officially, the upgrade period from 7 -> 10 has ended. If you have the Win10 installer though it should accept the 7 key without issue.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

isndl posted:

Officially, the upgrade period from 7 -> 10 has ended. If you have the Win10 installer though it should accept the 7 key without issue.

Thx!

Worked like a charm, btw

namlosh fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 18, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

namlosh posted:

Thx!

Worked like a charm, btw

No surprise. Wasn't the 7 > 10 upgrade eligibility over like 4 years ago, but they never actually ended it?

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I wanted to tell you goons about a dumb epiphany I had over the weekend.

I was drawing in photoshop and watching Netflix via chrome browser this weekend, and I was noticing these tiny micro stutters across my whole system every 3-5 seconds. Not enough to impact my drawing. but just enough to be annoying. It would even cause the mouse to jump. and moving windows around to lag out for a tiny split second. Only happens when I had Netflix open in my other screen.

searched everywhere and couldn't find the answer. Finally tried watching Netflix via the windows 10 app. and after giving it 90 seconds or so to warm up. The lagging stopped. and the system ran like butter again. I didn't realize Netflix was better optimized for edge/app. but i guess thats the way it is. And as a bonus. the windows 10 app is not half bad imo. So. theres my story. Hope you enjoyed reading my words.

Although i'm sure most of you all are windows gurus that already knew this.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Typical posted:

I wanted to tell you goons about a dumb epiphany I had over the weekend.

I was drawing in photoshop and watching Netflix via chrome browser this weekend, and I was noticing these tiny micro stutters across my whole system every 3-5 seconds. Not enough to impact my drawing. but just enough to be annoying. It would even cause the mouse to jump. and moving windows around to lag out for a tiny split second. Only happens when I had Netflix open in my other screen.

searched everywhere and couldn't find the answer. Finally tried watching Netflix via the windows 10 app. and after giving it 90 seconds or so to warm up. The lagging stopped. and the system ran like butter again. I didn't realize Netflix was better optimized for edge/app. but i guess thats the way it is. And as a bonus. the windows 10 app is not half bad imo. So. theres my story. Hope you enjoyed reading my words.

Although i'm sure most of you all are windows gurus that already knew this.

Last I knew they only even bothered streaming 720p to Chrome/Firefox/etc. - Edge, IE11, and the app give you higher resolutions.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Typical posted:

Netflix win10 app....

I tried it once because of the rumored higher resolutions and better quality, but it minimizes when it loses focus when full-screen. Having it open on one monitor (for the kid) while working in the other monitor is was basically a no-go. Extremely lovely behaviour if you ask me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The app continually loses connection for me. I can't even add poo poo to watch to my list, let alone watch an actual film or something.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The app also has a worse interface than the web version. Edge works well enough though so I use that for Netflix (and Chrome for everything else)

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I've noticed (even back on Win7) that Chrome + DirectX-Anything = Non-Chrome App Will Stutter

Whether it was Photoshop, VLC, or a low-req emulator like SNES9X it became annoying to play with Chrome up because I guess Chrome is better at hammering GPU resources than any other app.

My machine has a 4790K, 24GB of RAM and a 750Ti so it's not like I'm taxing the machine when the stuttering happens. I really believe it's a Chrome thing.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

ProjektorBoy posted:

I've noticed (even back on Win7) that Chrome + DirectX-Anything = Non-Chrome App Will Stutter

Whether it was Photoshop, VLC, or a low-req emulator like SNES9X it became annoying to play with Chrome up because I guess Chrome is better at hammering GPU resources than any other app.

My machine has a 4790K, 24GB of RAM and a 750Ti so it's not like I'm taxing the machine when the stuttering happens. I really believe it's a Chrome thing.

Have you tried it with hardware acceleration switched off in chrome?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ProjektorBoy posted:

I always have chrome up and play stuff with VLC all the time including while browsing and I never get stutter, 4790k, 32GB RAM and a GTX 970 here.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Have you tried it with hardware acceleration switched off in chrome?

I've just temporarily used Firefox in those situations and everything ran smoothly. Turning off acceleration in Chrome made Flash run like rear end, unfortunately.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
When in doubt, make a fresh chrome profile and see if that helps

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I keep having problems with the Media Creation Tool where it downloads all the files and then fails when it tries to actually create the USB file.

I'm giving it one more shot after some trying some tips I found online, but if it fails is there any way to create a USB using the ISO file I can download?

I ask only because the Tool has to redownload everything each time it fails so I figure I'll just download the ISO and at least that file is persistent.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I keep having problems with the Media Creation Tool where it downloads all the files and then fails when it tries to actually create the USB file.

I'm giving it one more shot after some trying some tips I found online, but if it fails is there any way to create a USB using the ISO file I can download?

I ask only because the Tool has to redownload everything each time it fails so I figure I'll just download the ISO and at least that file is persistent.

Yes, you just format the USB drive to FAT32 and copy all the .iso contents over.
(unsure if NTFS works fine, always done FAT32 myself as it's what the install media creation tools use as well.)

stevewm
May 10, 2005

KillHour posted:

My favorite Windows 10 story is the time they pushed a patch down that included a new Intel display driver. This driver consistently caused a bsod about 30 seconds after boot, meaning it was a race against time to disable said driver and roll it back before the whole thing crashed. The best part - this was on a loving Surface Book. :wtc:

To be fair, the Surface Book line in general is a dumpster fire.

We stopped buying them due to the high failure rate and generally lovely driver support. To this day we still occasionally have problems with "sleep of death", pens that randomly stop working, camera that disappears, etc...

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I just got a BSOD, is that likely to be caused by faulty memory? What's a good way to check the integrity of my memory?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I just got a BSOD, is that likely to be caused by faulty memory? What's a good way to check the integrity of my memory?

Most motherboards have a utility in the BIOS to run a mem check.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Jeb! Repetition posted:

There are hundreds of ways to cause a Windows system to bugcheck. If you didn't catch the name of the bugcheck (it doesn't give the hex for it anymore and the QR goes to a generic page, damnit Microsoft) it should show up in the Event Viewer. It may be something with drivers or Chrome doing weird poo poo with hardware acceleration or something.

If you want to check the memory anyway, Windows Memory Diagnostic is built-in and you can type it in at the Start Menu. Also a lot of people swear by memtest86+.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

dont be mean to me posted:

There are hundreds of ways to cause a Windows system to bugcheck. If you didn't catch the name of the bugcheck (it doesn't give the hex for it anymore and the QR goes to a generic page, damnit Microsoft) it should show up in the Event Viewer. It may be something with drivers or Chrome doing weird poo poo with hardware acceleration or something.

If you want to check the memory anyway, Windows Memory Diagnostic is built-in and you can type it in at the Start Menu. Also a lot of people swear by memtest86+.

Where in the Event Viewer should I look? In System, all I'm seeing is what appears to be regular startup stuff, then a critical error that says the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.

Also would it be better to use the BIOS memory diagnostic or the Windows one?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
A single BSOD? Don't sweat it. If you start to get more of them, then worry about it. A single BSOD is not worth spending time trying to diagnose.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I'm like trying to make e-mail work on someone's laptop, and he insists on using the built-in UWP Mail app. I'm having connection issues. However, since all indication that anything at all is happening is that dumb pointy progress bar, this helps me gently caress all diagnosing anything. Old Outlook Express had this send/receive window with info. This has apparently jack poo poo. What the gently caress is Microsoft even thinking.

--edit: lol, I can't even enter sync options while it's stuck doing god knows what.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 20, 2018

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Sininu posted:

Yes, you just format the USB drive to FAT32 and copy all the .iso contents over.
(unsure if NTFS works fine, always done FAT32 myself as it's what the install media creation tools use as well.)

NTFS support is firmware-dependent; FAT32 is standard on any UEFI system.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So I have fast starup disabled, and windows is still doing the thing where I'll turn my pc on and it'll have a chrome window playing whatever youtube videos before i even log in.

Also, any idea on how to start tracking down bluescreenless crashes?

mystes
May 31, 2006

underage at the vape shop posted:

So I have fast starup disabled, and windows is still doing the thing where I'll turn my pc on and it'll have a chrome window playing whatever youtube videos before i even log in.
Are you sure you aren't hibernating or something?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

mystes posted:

Are you sure you aren't hibernating or something?

I'm clicking shutdown so i shouldnt be

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Shutdown goes to hibernate now. Only Restart actually reboots the OS.

No joke.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Ahahaha oh my god.

E: had to look it up to be sure and yup. I wondered how I missed that nugget of asininity, and it turns out this started with windows 8 actually. Never noticed because I've always disabled hibernation pretty soon after an install.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 21, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
so theres no way to disable that? I used to be getting a lot of bluescreenless shutdowns, turning off fast reboot seemed to have fixed it, but they are back. How recent is the change to make shutdown do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
What do you mean by "bluescreenless shutdowns"?