Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I would dearly, dearly love to see the Evangelical base react to a trans candidate who happens to tick all their boxes right down the line. Basically what they do anyway with Trump but with a taste of "sure he/she (or "he-she" for GOPers) is a blasphemy against God and Nature, but much like how God chose the pagan Cyrus as a champion..."

While amusing, it should be pointed out that while there are women, Asian-Americans, African-Americans, and Hispanics representing the party as Cabinet members, Congresspersons, Senators, and Governors, there is not one single openly gay Republican in any of those positions. they all resign once they're found out

I think if a Republican came out as anything other than cis hetero, no other issues they mentioned would be heard over the sounds of the bonfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

actionjackson posted:

How is this actually going to hurt FB though? It's like how Elizabeth Warren yells at bankers but nothing changes

Facebook's ad manipulation being considered political campaigning would be a huge blow to them I think. Especially if they can be shown to have profited massively off of the Russian attempts to buy the election.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What Beturass Devoid (of intellect) do on sixty minutes that was so bad?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Fart City posted:

He looks like that Vladimir Putin buttplug.

Pounded in the butt by a melty toy autocrat

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

DR SPECTRE.

It's been a weird day.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Push El Burrito posted:

America Chavez owns and it's super weird to know that Sonia Sotomayor knows about her.

If it owned it wouldn't have been cancelled. Gabby Rivera is a regressive, mean spirited person and doesn't deserve any good attention.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Dunno if this is a repost from earlier today but its worth the read:
https://mobile.twitter.com/guardian/status/975054685555044353

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Verranicus posted:

If it owned it wouldn't have been cancelled. Gabby Rivera is a regressive, mean spirited person and doesn't deserve any good attention.

The only things remotely negative I find use terms like "SJW Writer" and "Anti-White Racism" so my opinion on her just skyrocketed unless you have a tape of her stomping a puppy to death.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

How is this actually going to hurt FB though? It's like how Elizabeth Warren yells at bankers but nothing changes

In order to downplay the impact of this and Russia using Facebook as a vector of manipulation, Facebook has to argue that their ads couldn’t have been that effective.

In order to continue selling ads at higher rates they have to argue exactly the opposite.

They can’t have it both ways.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Verranicus posted:

If it owned it wouldn't have been cancelled.

Honey, if good series didn't get cancelled, Gwenpool would still be knocking it out the park every month. But we just don't live in that world.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I do try to pick up comics every so often, but I'm very much a casual git so nothing catches my attention. Morbius did a while back, they canceled it. Gwenpool did recently, they canceled it. I go back to not particularly caring

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CheriJacobus/status/974831949285031936?s=20

https://twitter.com/CheriJacobus/status/974858717370961920?s=20

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well I hope FB gets hosed somehow, but it's so interwoven into the fabric of the US (and most of the world) that it's hard for me to see anything major changing.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Charlz Guybon posted:

Almost every great historical figure was a huge sack of poo poo in some way or in other, many even in most ways. They still should be lionized if the one good thing they did was great enough.

This is the kind of thinking that leads to people worshipping the Founding Fathers and to Democrats doing free PR for shitheads like Evan McMullin.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Covok posted:

Honey, if good series didn't get cancelled, Gwenpool would still be knocking it out the park every month. But we just don't live in that world.

Gwenpool was an unfortunate bystander caught up in Marvel trying to sort it's poo poo out and make money again. It was pretty good, but if losing it meant then ditching terrible comics like America Chavez, Iceman and the like I'd say it was worth it.

I don't even really read Marvel, more of a DC guy, but those comics were clearly not making them any money. They needed to go back to making traditional comics with the characters people loved instead of catering to demographics that largely don't buy comics as much as tweet about how 'progressive' they are.

I'm thinking they'll probably begin ditching the new, young, diverse teen versions of their main stable and return to OG Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, etc to capitalize on the movies getting as much attention as they do.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

Almost every great historical figure was a huge sack of poo poo in some way or in other, many even in most ways. They still should be lionized if the one good thing they did was great enough.
You had to say "almost" because of Lenin, didn't you?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Verranicus posted:

Gwenpool was an unfortunate bystander caught up in Marvel trying to sort it's poo poo out and make money again. It was pretty good, but if losing it meant then ditching terrible comics like America Chavez, Iceman and the like I'd say it was worth it.

I don't even really read Marvel, more of a DC guy, but those comics were clearly not making them any money. They needed to go back to making traditional comics with the characters people loved instead of catering to demographics that largely don't buy comics as much as tweet about how 'progressive' they are.

I'm thinking they'll probably begin ditching the new, young, diverse teen versions of their main stable and return to OG Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, etc to capitalize on the movies getting as much attention as they do.

Oh, you're one of those dog whistle people who don't even read the comic, you literally just said that, but just want them to stop making characters that aren't white cis het males.

Literally, saying that in the same post that you criticize people who don't read the comic for wanting those comic, ignoring that those Comics still sold thousands have issues mean there were thousands of people reading in liking them. You know who was a small number in the terms of comic, it certainly sounds like you put a lot of wait on your own, safe to say, white male voice, despite not reading the comic, over the non-white non-cis non-het non-male voices who were reading the comic.

What I'm saying is, you're an rear end in a top hat.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Catfished?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I said I don't really read Marvel, not that I don't read it at all. I had Gwenpool on my pull list and got two issues into Iceman before it became clear the book was about pushing an agenda and not telling a good story.

Comic readership is primarily 30-eomething white dudes at this point, and Marvel had to make a business decision. They dropped behind DC for the first time in years during this period, it was a huge problem.

They don't really carry much by them at my LCS, but I've heard that Black Mask is taking in a lot of the people whose books are being cancelled. Could be a good bet if you're looking for more of that sort of thing.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Brony Car posted:

How much do we know about the internal dynamics at the FBI? Are we sure there aren't a bunch of really ambitious people in the bureau who love the idea of older "establishment" types getting thrown out?

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a bunch of FBI agents who love the idea of a more aggressive and conservative "law and order" state under Trump.
An FBI Agents puts the Bureau above everything. They place it above their Party, their President, their Country. They will kill and die for the Bureau. They define themselves by their profession in the same way that normal people like you or I define ourselves through our race or religion. Asking this is like asking if any ambitious Bishops wouldn't mind the Pope being defiled by pagans if it means there'll be a new Conclave.

The FBI is basically the Inquisition from Warhammer 40K, if you switched out pseudolatin for obsessive memo writing.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Verranicus posted:

Comic readership is primarily 30-eomething white dudes at this point

drat, it's almost as if having major publishers slap you in the face and say they don't want your money if you're not an aging cishet white man tends to depress readership that isn't aging cishet white men.

Anyway, sorry that you had to endure consuming two issues of a comic that wasn't pandering directly to you, it sounds really traumatic.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There's also the fact that comics with female leads tend to sell better in digital format, which isn't really tracked by Marvel or DC. Almost like women don't like going to weird sweaty dark creep stores to buy comics from a hostile clerk.

I mean, hell, at one point Ms. Marvel appeared to be Marvel's best selling book in a digital format.

https://www.polygon.com/2015/4/14/8410771/digital-comics-female-characters

And as a person that has read every Thor book, Jane is a better Thor.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/diannananez/status/975199535172485121?s=21
Zinke really is the dark horse in the running for the executive's "biggest dogfucker" award.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Verranicus posted:

Or maybe the problem is less on having a diverse cast of characters and more that the model of selling comics is completely hosed and accessibility is awful because single issues are so expensive nowadays.

That and maybe not trying to relaunch a comic as a #1 all the time so it doesn't confuse new readers would also help

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

quote:

“How could ever saying ‘Good morning’ be bad?” Zinke told reporters following a tour of the U.S.-Mexico border.

Racism aside, how is "good morning" a relevant response to someone's question?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 18, 2018

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Mornacale posted:

Anyway, sorry that you had to endure consuming two issues of a comic that wasn't pandering directly to you, it sounds really traumatic.
This is so dumb. When they're aimed at him they're not pandering. It's like you don't even know what words mean. :v:

Verranicus posted:

Ooh! Do Ethics in Gaming Journalism next!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Larry Hama sighed as he drew his katana Uzi.

the original GI Joe comics are hilariously subversive btw

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Lycus posted:

Don't worry about that because the racism can't go to the side.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jealous Cow posted:

In order to downplay the impact of this and Russia using Facebook as a vector of manipulation, Facebook has to argue that their ads couldn’t have been that effective.

In order to continue selling ads at higher rates they have to argue exactly the opposite.

They can’t have it both ways.

This one is easy. Corporations cant go to corporation jail, so the correct move is to admit to being careless and beg forgiveness.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So... this guy is a retired 4-star Army general

https://twitter.com/mccaffreyr3/status/974748724176941056

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lycus posted:

Good morning is instantoramen ga arimaska. Not konnichiwa.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

I am so, so happy this kills any chances of Zuck 2020.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Push El Burrito posted:

There's also the fact that comics with female leads tend to sell better in digital format, which isn't really tracked by Marvel or DC. Almost like women don't like going to weird sweaty dark creep stores to buy comics from a hostile clerk.

I mean, hell, at one point Ms. Marvel appeared to be Marvel's best selling book in a digital format.

https://www.polygon.com/2015/4/14/8410771/digital-comics-female-characters

And as a person that has read every Thor book, Jane is a better Thor.

I don't know why anyone goes to comic shops. I'm demographically their core audience and the 2 times I've tried going to a comic shop were terrible. They're horrid places designed to repel "outsiders" and it's a wonder comic book companies have managed to survive with them being the main method of product distribution.

Actually I've been to them 3 times. One time I decided to sell all my comics and the guy behind the counter was a total dick about the titles I owned. Also that was how I learned about the great comic market crash, since I was informed that I was loving stupid and the reason comics were in trouble. Because 12 year old me had thought all the holographic and chrome covers had looked cool, so I had a bunch of those.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/diannananez/status/975199535172485121?s=21
Zinke really is the dark horse in the running for the executive's "biggest dogfucker" award.

He's just being pragmatic, since the "biggest dog-killer" and "biggest dog-roofer" categories are pretty much sewn-up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Truman said that if being a stupid son of a bitch was a crime then half the generals list would be in the brig.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Well I hope FB gets hosed somehow, but it's so interwoven into the fabric of the US (and most of the world) that it's hard for me to see anything major changing.

If it forces Zuck out of an executive position and forces the company to put someone more responsible and accountable as CEO, that could be a good thing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Truman said that if being a stupid son of a bitch was a crime then half the generals list would be in the brig.

not sure what you mean

Caros
May 14, 2008

I actually felt bad for this guy last night. He puts out that tweet, gets on Lawrence O'Donnel for his 15 minute spotlight of getting to bitch about how lovely Trump is, then Sessions fires McCabe and O'Donnel has to cut in on his key interview and tell him, in essence, to gently caress off because they have real news.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

not sure what you mean

I believe you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't get it, this sounds like a plus.

• Locked thread