Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

They come with 50mm squares so 60mm circles should be right. The rule of thumb is to go with the next size up when going with rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sick. If I get around to selling my Eldar I'm just going to say gently caress it and buy three boxes of them.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

S.J. posted:

Are stormfiends supposed to go on 60mm bases?

That's what I put mine on and it looks good.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sick. What's a good loudout for them? I was thinking about doing two units with just the ratling guns, or maybe 2 ratling guns/1 warpfire thrower. Then a third melee unit with whatever.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

S.J. posted:

Sick. What's a good loudout for them? I was thinking about doing two units with just the ratling guns, or maybe 2 ratling guns/1 warpfire thrower. Then a third melee unit with whatever.

Warpfire throwers are basically the best choice for them. Sadly you have to either get converting or buy bits if you want to run all them all as such. The kit only comes with enough for one.

I've never had good luck with the melee ones, mainly because their gun options are so good and their melee is already fairly decent ( 4+, 3+, Ap-, 2dam).

You can crank them to 11 by either running the Gautfyre Skorch part of the Skryre Battalion and having them tunnel up next to the opponent's big scary thing, or something like the Warpgnaw spell to move them up the board fast. 6d3 mortal wounds per squad is hard to shake off.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Multiple warpfire thrower stormfiends is "opponent is permitted to whip a chair at your head" level good. Just cover the entire opposing army in mortal wounds.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So I'm starting an escalation league next week, and its also going to be my first formal event using figures I'm not borrowing from a bud.

How good are the Blightkings without the battalion that soups them up? Does anyone have any suggestions for Nurgle stuff that works well at low point levels?

This is what I have planned out so far:

500 pts:
Poxbringer
10x Plaguebearers
5x Blightkings
3x Nurglings

750 pts:
Lord of Blights
Poxbringer
30x Plaguebringers
5x Blightkings

1000pts:

Lord of Blights
Poxbringer
5x Blightkings
5x Blightkings
30x Plaguebringers
3x Nurglings

From there I figure I'll just pick up a Glottkin, Gutrot Spume, and more Blightkings and just mix and match.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

FromTheShire posted:

I'm looking for the flaming sword from the plastic Empire Wizard/ Battlemage box for a kitbash and hoping to avoid buying the entire kit if possible. Any chance someone has a spare they're willing to part with?

if you cant find anyone with a spare, try looking at bits resellers before you resort to buying a whole kit for one piece

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

fadam posted:

So I'm starting an escalation league next week, and its also going to be my first formal event using figures I'm not borrowing from a bud.

How good are the Blightkings without the battalion that soups them up? Does anyone have any suggestions for Nurgle stuff that works well at low point levels?

This is what I have planned out so far:

500 pts:
Poxbringer
10x Plaguebearers
5x Blightkings
3x Nurglings

750 pts:
Lord of Blights
Poxbringer
30x Plaguebringers
5x Blightkings

1000pts:

Lord of Blights
Poxbringer
5x Blightkings
5x Blightkings
30x Plaguebringers
3x Nurglings

From there I figure I'll just pick up a Glottkin, Gutrot Spume, and more Blightkings and just mix and match.

Anything with the nurgle keyword. And there is a lot of stuff you can give the nurgle keyword. Hell you can bring it Archaon and he will benefit from Maggotkin rules. Some Pestilens skaven may work well at low level.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 16, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
This is pretty interesting

Daughters of Khaine Page 26 posted:

THE FATE OF KHAINE
Consumed in the fires of the demise of the world-that-was, the aelf gods
were destroyed. They had ever been cyclical in nature, and it was possible
that they could one day reform; however, there were many factors against
them. Their worshippers were gone, and what little power they still possessed
was sought after, especially by the Chaos Gods. Nagash too stalked the
underworlds, while the coiled shadow of Malerion fed on blackness itself.
Many sought the broken shards of Khaine, though the greater number were
claimed by Khorne. The Blood God melted that essence down and used it to
forge weapons for his worthiest Bloodthirsters. Yet one item alone resisted
the nova-blasts of Khorne’s furnaces – the iron heart of Khaine. Again and
again it was pounded, yet it would submit to neither hammer nor anvil.
Enraged, the Blood God squeezed it for an age of mortals, but only eight
drops of blood came forth, each smouldering upon the ground. When
Khorne could gain no more satisfaction, he hurled the heart in snarling
frustration. How the last remnant of the fallen god passed through the
realms and ended in the lair of Kharybtar, father of Kharybdisses, before
ultimately being recovered by Morathi is a tale in itself, for many others were
drawn to its throbbing energies.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes, tell me more about the throbbing energies

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It appears that Mathlann has revived. As leaks and rumors about the upcoming Sea Elves make it sound like they worship him.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Floppychop posted:

Warpfire throwers are basically the best choice for them. Sadly you have to either get converting or buy bits if you want to run all them all as such. The kit only comes with enough for one.

I've never had good luck with the melee ones, mainly because their gun options are so good and their melee is already fairly decent ( 4+, 3+, Ap-, 2dam).

You can crank them to 11 by either running the Gautfyre Skorch part of the Skryre Battalion and having them tunnel up next to the opponent's big scary thing, or something like the Warpgnaw spell to move them up the board fast. 6d3 mortal wounds per squad is hard to shake off.

Well, since they're also Moulder, I was gonna run a packmaster or two with them for the +1 to hit/charge bonuses. Holy poo poo that Gautfyre though what the gently caress it just gets to deploy anywhere?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

S.J. posted:

Well, since they're also Moulder, I was gonna run a packmaster or two with them for the +1 to hit/charge bonuses. Holy poo poo that Gautfyre though what the gently caress it just gets to deploy anywhere?

Yeah. Gautfyre is nuts. Well worth the points tax of the battalion.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Floppychop posted:

Yeah. Gautfyre is nuts. Well worth the points tax of the battalion.

250 points is rough. Do you still have to create the Battalion out of 2-5 Enginecovens? If so, drat, that's 300 points at least. I'm assuming you can't have one Warlock count for more than one Enginecoven?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

S.J. posted:

250 points is rough. Do you still have to create the Battalion out of 2-5 Enginecovens? If so, drat, that's 300 points at least. I'm assuming you can't have one Warlock count for more than one Enginecoven?

Minimum you have to have one Arch Warlock and two Warlock engineers.

Remember you get one free reroll you can use for anyone in the battalion on the hero phase.

Popping up and torching your opponent's centerpiece is well worth it. I usually run two Stormfiend units and 3 warpfyre throwers in the gautfyre scorch. It kills most anything.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sure, but I need three battle line units and I'm sure as hell not buying any SKryre Acolytes, so that means 300 points on the battalion and 900 points on Stormfiends :v: Guaranteeing the alpha strike with that coven is loving gross though, I definitely see the strength in that.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There's some Mantic rat minis that are crazy easy to convert to acolytes. Just need to make some green stuff globes for them to hold.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Floppychop posted:

There's some Mantic rat minis that are crazy easy to convert to acolytes. Just need to make some green stuff globes for them to hold.

Hmm, the night crawlers DO have gas masks...

Look, at the end of the day, I'm only kind of complaining because I think clan rats ought to be battleline for every clan so I don't have to buy as much stuff :v:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Here's mine, in the front row. Sorry, only picture I have on hand.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Those look really good, I think I'll have to do that. Thanks for the heads up. Also, I just got a buddy of mine to pick up Nurgle Demons, one picked up Stormcast the other day, and another one is gonna be picking up Kharadron soon. Our local scene is definitely getting bigger. Plus we just started a 14-person map based campaign! Hell yeah.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

After a long time out from AoS, my friend wants to field his new big flying Kharadron Overlord thing and wonder weapon troops at 2k points.

I think the barest bones Alarielle's Guardians battalion is 2040 points. I've never fielded Alarielle (proxying a Forest Dragon with one of the old Sisters) or Stormcast (proxying LotR Easterlings, including Khamul as the Lord). He won't be expecting anything like this from me. I'm barely a casual player so I just want the game to play out OK for both of us. For us the minor list exceptions get glossed over for a good theme or gimmick.

Couple things.
1) Got no insight into what add-ons / options work, so they're basically random for this strawman list and can be easily edited to suggestions.
2) Alarielle has magic that based on d6 can heal wounds, or "set up" new units of Dryads, Tree-Revenants, or a Treelord. Is that over and above the units I paid for in the list? Seems silly to leave paid reinforcements in a maybe-you'll-them-maybe-you-won't limbo. I had like 10k painted FB Wood Elves so I could supply lots of added units worth of models. Otherwise one less rule to remember in game.
3) Anyone actually played this battalion before? I don't have a Stormcast book or know their rules. All I really need to field these battalion allies for a game is the warscroll info?
4) Ignore or go for broke trying to kill his big balloon? I had debated trying the shootiest Wanderer list I could scrape up. Trouble is that force is super squishy in melee and I haven't succeeded yet at shoot and scoot in AoS.

Allegiance: Order
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: The Oaken Armour
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- General
- Deepwood Spell: The Reaping
Lord-Castellant (100)
- Artefact: Hammer of Might
- Mystic Light: Lantern of the Tempest
- Allies
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers
- Allies
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblades
- 1x Grandblades
- Allies
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows
- Allies
Treelord (240)
Treelord (240)
The Guardians of Alarielle (220)

Total: 2040 / 2000
Allies: 460 / 400
Wounds: 101

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Treelord WIP

I have been making good progress on my Sylvaneth. Only thing I have left on this guy is his loincloth, and some of the leaves I missed.

I rewarded myself today with a second get started box. Yay, more Dryads. :emo:.

Am however looking forward to doing a Durthu!

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 17, 2018

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

posted:

Kharybtar, father of Kharybdisses

If there are new Helicoprion dragons in the Idoneth release... well, who needs to eat anyway. :homebrew:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Kilazar posted:

Treelord WIP

I have been making good progress on my Sylvaneth. Only thing I have left on this guy is his loincloth, and some of the leaves I missed.

I rewarded myself today with a second get started box. Yay, more Dryads. :emo:.

Am however looking forward to doing a Durthu!

That looks great, lovely vibrant oranges. Sylvaneth are such a joy to paint

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Serotonin posted:

That looks great, lovely vibrant oranges. Sylvaneth are such a joy to paint

Thanks!

Sylvaneth are way outside my wheelhouse. I am really enjoying the change of pace compared to doing dudes in armor.

Up till now I have done orcs and dark elves for fantasy. And in 40k It is orks and Tau.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Floppychop posted:

Here's mine, in the front row. Sorry, only picture I have on hand.

I'm gonna thank you again for the conversion idea, because I can pick up a box of clan rats, use the gas mask heads I have left over from my plagueclaw catapults to make the globadiers.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

S.J. posted:

I'm gonna thank you again for the conversion idea, because I can pick up a box of clan rats, use the gas mask heads I have left over from my plagueclaw catapults to make the globadiers.

They'll look even better if you can add a tank/backpack of sorts too.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

if you cant find anyone with a spare, try looking at bits resellers before you resort to buying a whole kit for one piece

Yeah, that's why I was asking on here, I've only been able to find a couple bits places that even have a listing for it, and they are all sold out unfortunately. Is there a big name AoS leaning one you can recommend? I've had way less luck than when looking for 40k bits sites.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Xlorp posted:

2) Alarielle has magic that based on d6 can heal wounds, or "set up" new units of Dryads, Tree-Revenants, or a Treelord. Is that over and above the units I paid for in the list? Seems silly to leave paid reinforcements in a maybe-you'll-them-maybe-you-won't limbo. I had like 10k painted FB Wood Elves so I could supply lots of added units worth of models. Otherwise one less rule to remember in game.

In matched play breaking existing units costs no points. Creating a new unit or returning a fully destroyed unit comes out of reinforcement points, of which you have none. Wildwoods are free for Sylvaneth however.

For your other questions check out the Sylvaneth thread on TGA. I'm not sure what works for them after the latest General's Handbook.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Unit-summoning has been something AoS has been struggling with since release, and its only really with the recent Chaos and Death releases that they've obviously settled on how they want it to interact with the matched play rules.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Seems legit.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SteelMentor posted:

Seems legit.

I'm reeealy looking forward to the Studio preview at Adepticon.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I like the fishmen poo poo but it feels weird seeing two order releases in a row, hopefully we'll be seeing some of the love spread around for the other alliances here soon.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
It feels weird they are finally releasing fishmen.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

SteelMentor posted:

Seems legit.

BATTLECRABS ADVANCE

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thundercloud posted:

It feels weird they are finally releasing fishmen.

You mean FishAelves

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Phishaelves

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SteelMentor posted:

Phishaelves

Phish is already a thing.

Fysheaelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
And speaking of fishelves, I want to go out on a limb and paint up my sylvaneth force in seaweed / coral / tropical marine colors. Anyone tried something like that before? Am I shooting myself in the foot again?

• Locked thread