Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Who do United get if they sack Mourinho? Probably why he feels secure enough to come out with this poo poo.

As I understand the rules, Avram Grant, Scolari, Hiddink, Ancelotti, Villas-Boas, Di Matteo, Benitez, Mourinho again, Hiddink again and then Conte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ninpo posted:

If rumours are to be believed, both Pep and Klopp turned down succeeding Ferguson.

Know for a fact they approached pep.

Very unsurprising they turned it down. It was always going to be a poisoned challice. Wenger would be the same but he's done a decent job in the last few years of taking the pressure of who follows.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

IIRC when Ferguson left, it was when Pep had just announced that he was leaving Barca to take a sabbatical

If he'd then immediately turned round and joined United, he'd have looked like more of a mercenary dickhead than even your average manager

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

United posters what do you think could have been done different to avoid the post-SAF collapse? Would Moyes as a figurehead with SAF's back office team have helped? Or did SAF just leave the squad in such a position that it was almost inevitable?

I personally thought that SAF didn't plan for the future with his recruitment at all and a drop off was always going to happen as a result. However, with the right manager (i.e. not David Moyes Football Genius) someone (I don't know who) could have come in with that in mind and take a few seasons of 4th-7th finishes while bringing in the right players. Instead you've appeared to go from short-term fix to short-term fix, it remains to be seen how long Mourinho get but you've had three very different managers who have only had 2-3 seasons to mould the squad.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EvilHawk posted:

United posters what do you think could have been done different to avoid the post-SAF collapse? Would Moyes as a figurehead with SAF's back office team have helped? Or did SAF just leave the squad in such a position that it was almost inevitable?

It absolutely would have helped, but probably wouldn't have saved him. Moyes was doomed by being stuck in his small club mentality, of "hoping to make things hard for Newcastle" at home and so on. Somehow it seems like he didn't realize he was managing the biggest club in the world now and that expectations (and resources) were a bit higher than he was used to.

He also wasn't helped in the least by David Gill leaving as well. United lost an absolute fuckload of experience and a huge part of their soul, as it were, with those two men. The club was used to doing things a certain way, as that was the way it had been done for decades. Suddenly everything changed and Moyes was left holding the bag.

Maybe having people who were experienced and used to life at United in his ear instead of his Everton buddies could have helped, who knows. Probably not though.

A drop off was absolutely expected, Fergie was too big a part of United for that to not happen, but the transition was probably handled in the worst way possible.

quote:

you've had three very different managers who have only had 2-3 seasons to mould the squad.

I think a big part of the problem is that it's been up to the whims of three managers doing whatever they want with the squad. United don't have a director of football or really anyone who is in charge of dictating the overall philosophy and direction of the club. Woodward seems only interested in bringing in shirt-selling big names regardless of how well they might fit the team, and each individual manager has done whatever the gently caress they want with the squad, leaving it a mismatch with very little coherency.

We've been saying this for years, but a clear-out is absolutely needed.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 17, 2018

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
Moyes came in to a squad utterly devoid of a midfield, he had a list of quality targets. Instead Woodward manages to get him Fellaini on deadline day for more than his original release clause, making it look like Moyes was pining for him.

I don’t think Moyes would have been a success, but he was on a hiding to nothing almost straight away.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EvilHawk posted:

I personally thought that SAF didn't plan for the future with his recruitment at all and a drop off was always going to happen as a result. However, with the right manager (i.e. not David Moyes Football Genius) someone (I don't know who) could have come in with that in mind and take a few seasons of 4th-7th finishes while bringing in the right players. Instead you've appeared to go from short-term fix to short-term fix, it remains to be seen how long Mourinho get but you've had three very different managers who have only had 2-3 seasons to mould the squad.

Der Shovel covered most of it already, but I genuinely think had Moyes shut the gently caress up and settled his ego down when he took over and kept Ferguson's back room team and actually spent a year learning how a Big Club runs, things would have been rather different. The squad wasn't as bad as people like to look back and heavily revise, everyone knew Giggs/Ferdinand/Vidic/Evra were in their twilight years but that aside, there wasn't anything drastic that needed doing to the LARGELY SAME SQUAD THAT WON THE TITLE AT A CANTER! :D Woodward dicking all over the transfers that WERE needed did Moyes no favours.

Instead he immediately came and changed everything to put "his own stamp" on things and immediately found himself out of his depth. Since then we hired a complete mental person who failed to realise football has moved on from the 90s, followed by Mourinho.

It's the world's biggest hangover after a 26 year long party.

e: It's also baffling that each manager following Ferguson has a complete mental block when it comes to big games. They don't want to be the manager that caused Manchester United to lose against City/Liverpool/Other Big Club etc, Mourinho included and he needs to get over it. I thought he had after that Liverpool match but welp, Sevilla.

Also to be fair to Moyes, he did alright in the Champions League so there's that, Welbeck's idiot decision making not withstanding.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 17, 2018

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really enjoying these united meltdowns

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ninpo posted:

If rumours are to be believed, both Pep and Klopp turned down succeeding Ferguson.

I think United's issue with these approaches isn't a lack of appeal but just poor timing. Guardiola desperately wanted a time out whereas United wanted a manager immediately, and Klopp was content at Dortmund. Had they approached him when Liverpool did then maybe things would be different, but United were at that time happy with Van Gaal

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

EvilHawk posted:

Hindsight being what it is, the best alternative option would probably have been to just elevate Mike Phelan into the manager's job and effectively just have continuity from within the club. That approach seems to have worked for Barcelona, but it could just have easily been a massive disaster.

I'm another one that puts a lot of blame on Woodward - if you go and look at the results, United actually started the season reasonably well under Moyes, it's not as if the players all immediately withered and died the moment no-one was yelling at them in Scottish. Rather, there was a combination of Moyes quickly losing the dressing room and no intelligent signings being made that year which started a slide that was difficult to recover from as a lot of the old guard started to leave.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is a really good interview

https://twitter.com/AlexTruica/status/974700668203294722?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

everton and huddersfield winning would be cool and good

:prepop:

Jose fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 17, 2018

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

oliwan posted:

I'm really enjoying these united meltdowns

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

People are just talking about football :shrug:

You have MDTs to post your tired, toe-the-line bigotry and shitposting

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

This is really good, thanks for sharing it.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

trem_two posted:

Carragher might get fired by Sky, he was caught on camera spitting on the 14 year old daughter of a United supporter that was giving him poo poo about yesterday's result.

lol

You can take the Scouse out of the scum but you cant take the scum out of the Scouse.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

uli2000 posted:

You can take the Scouse out of the scum but you cant take the scum out of the Scouse.

I mean, you can see it coming out of the scouse right in the picture though

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Vegetable posted:

England's had worse frontlines than Rashford, Vardy and Sterling, with Ox on the bench.

A reminder: Sterling is garbage when he’s not playing in a team of supermen who put 8 chances on a plate for him every game.

The biggest missing player from that squad is Lascelles imo, who should be starting every game at centre back after how he’s played and led Newcastle this year.

Other than that, lots of obviously out of form players who don’t deserve to be close to the squad like Hart, Welbeck. We also inexplicably have 4 keepers in the squad. For some friendlies. Why? Hart won’t ever play, surely?

There are plenty of English players who’ve done well this season and deserve a chance more than this guys, sadly all at smaller clubs, so they get screwed.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

wooger posted:

A reminder: Sterling is garbage when he’s not playing in a team of supermen who put 8 chances on a plate for him every game.

Where are you getting that from because Sterling's been pretty good ever since he came into the side in 13/14.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
David Gill was more significant than Fergie retiring imo. Would have loved me some Carlo Anchelotti

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ShamoonHafez/status/975133471403401221

https://twitter.com/cmwinterburn/status/975128701514985472

yikes

e: Shaw also liked a tweet during the second half (now deleted)

@johnnybravo3985: @LukeShaw23 chin up - you are the definition of a perfect traditional United full-back, shame our current manager can’t play the United way as it’s perfect for you

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 18, 2018

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

yikes

@johnnybravo3985: @LukeShaw23 chin up - you are the definition of a perfect traditional United full-back, shame our current manager can’t play the United way as it’s perfect for you

Nothing I read directly mentioned Shaw by name in Mourinho’s press conference.

Shaw was terrible but so were Martial and McTominay and Lingard and Valencia and Mata.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

EvilHawk posted:

Where are you getting that from because Sterling's been pretty good ever since he came into the side in 13/14.

Watching him play for City & England, and waste 2/3 of his chances.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

TheBigAristotle posted:

yikes

There's that famous Mourinho man management again.

That's really my big problem with him. Fergie was a master manager who knew just how to handle every player, when to be fatherly towards them and when to give them a bollocking. It's not realistic to expect others to be at his level because it really was probably his best asset as it enabled him to get the most out of even slightly mediocre players, but still. When we look at the parade of really good players Mourinho has alienated and driven out over the years, it's kinda hard to not consider his style of "throw players under the bus publicly" kind of a failure.

It just kinda feels like another Mourinho meltdown in the process, where he's rapidly losing the dressing room if he hasn't already. The players look afraid on the pitch.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

wooger posted:

Watching him play for City & England, and waste 2/3 of his chances.

He's scored double figures for his club every season since 13/14.

Also - who else is better than him?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

There's that famous Mourinho man management again.

That's really my big problem with him. Fergie was a master manager who knew just how to handle every player, when to be fatherly towards them and when to give them a bollocking. It's not realistic to expect others to be at his level because it really was probably his best asset as it enabled him to get the most out of even slightly mediocre players, but still. When we look at the parade of really good players Mourinho has alienated and driven out over the years, it's kinda hard to not consider his style of "throw players under the bus publicly" kind of a failure.

It just kinda feels like another Mourinho meltdown in the process, where he's rapidly losing the dressing room if he hasn't already. The players look afraid on the pitch.

To be fair, Ferguson ran a lot of genuinely world-class players out of the club - off the top of my head that includes Ince, Beckham, van Nistelrooy and Keane in the end. The difference seems to be that he decided that they were a negative influence on the team and then got rid, he didn't call them out in a press conference for being gobshites and then start them the next three weeks running.

I can't actually think of many times he criticised any of his players in public. I'm sure he ripped into them in private, but then he'd go to the press conference and say that we lost because the grass was too long or that the referee was too fat (I think both of those are genuine Fergie excuses for bad results), with full knowledge that that'd then be the story instead of "Wes Brown still bad at football".

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Keane always belonged at Celtic, Fergie did the right thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe Shaw is just poo poo and mourinho is correct

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I couldn't find a non-Facebook version of this video but Mourinho's gone bonkers

https://www.facebook.com/BBCMOTD/videos/10156636055945982

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Yesterday was the 6th anniversary of Fabrice Muamba almost dying on the field. Truly one of the worst things I think I've ever seen watching sports.

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/vvw35a/remembering-how-boltons-fabrice-muamba-came-back-from-the-dead

Blinkz0rz fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 18, 2018

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Vegetable posted:

I couldn't find a non-Facebook version of this video but Mourinho's gone bonkers

nice meltdown

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

A Baby Boomer won the Super 6 Million? Like they need more loving money amirite

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

A Baby Boomer won the Super 6 Million? Like they need more loving money amirite

i'm sure sterling's new contract is worth more than that tbh

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vegetable posted:

I agree with Jose Mourinho, Manchester United are poo poo

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Papers and sites reporting in a very "we've been briefed by someone at United" way that Jose is planning a summer clearout.

Quoting from Soccernet:

quote:

United will listen to offers for Luke Shaw, Matteo Darmian, Daley Blind and Andreas Pereira, with Chris Smalling, Ander Herrera, Anthony Martial and Juan Mata also facing uncertain futures if Mourinho is able to secure his targets before the start of next season.

And while Mourinho is keen to retain the services of Marouane Fellaini, the Belgium midfielder continues to reject the terms on offer for a new contract at the club and is expected to leave as a free agent at the end of this campaign.

Can't really argue with the rest, but dumping Martial would be the most Mourinho move in a while.

"One of the most exciting young players in the game right now, who is already capable of putting up good numbers and winning games when we actually play him? Sell him. A bog brush -headed goon who can't shoot, pass or head the ball and would be more at his level in League 1? Bend over backwards to keep him!"

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Luke Shaw is a good player and chucking him away because the manager is hosed in the head is a weird approach. I hope he does well at whatever club he goes to

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

quote:

At the time, he decorated his room with posters of Hannover 96, Bob Marley

Guess we know who thought up that Topman t shirt now then.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i enjoy most things about mo salah

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Is there a single Unitied fan who wants to keep Fellaini? Seems the manager is the only guy who wants him and he’s dying to leave.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mourinho is gonna give fellaini 500k a week and then complain about city wages ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

fat gay nonce posted:

Luke Shaw is a good player and chucking him away because the manager is hosed in the head is a weird approach. I hope he does well at whatever club he goes to

conversely, I can't remember the last time I saw shaw play and thought he was particularly good

• Locked thread