Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

ElectricSheep posted:

Speaking of olympic lifts, I have to get used to wearing a belt during deadlifts mainly because a) I want to for safety's sake as the weight increases and b) it feels awkward as gently caress in the starting position and I'm still trying to acclimate. It's a big old Inzer Forever belt and it is not flexible in the least so the edges end up poking either my lower ribcage or the iliac crests of my pelvis.

Also on the topic of oly: my shoulders pop and crack (not audibly, just the feeling) when I'm doing OHP and it sucks because I know I could possibly squeeze out another 5-10 lbs but it's uncomfortable and my rotator cuff occasionally "sticks" in the middle of a heavy press. What could help this? Shoulder mobility drills?

Do you do anything at all for your shoulders? I'm not sure if mine were so bad as to stick in the middle of a lift but they'd feel crackly/not mobile/just not good. And they'd get tender the day after benching. I got a lacrosse ball and basically hit everything, but especially the pec minor area really made a difference. Dead hangs, active hangs, shoulder dislocators, band pull aparts, face pulls and other general pulling superset with every push set. I doubt any of that stuff would hurt you, and it might help you. It was a pretty big difference for me, but who knows what was actually wrong with my shoulders compared to yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Do you do anything at all for your shoulders? I'm not sure if mine were so bad as to stick in the middle of a lift but they'd feel crackly/not mobile/just not good. And they'd get tender the day after benching. I got a lacrosse ball and basically hit everything, but especially the pec minor area really made a difference. Dead hangs, active hangs, shoulder dislocators, band pull aparts, face pulls and other general pulling superset with every push set. I doubt any of that stuff would hurt you, and it might help you. It was a pretty big difference for me, but who knows what was actually wrong with my shoulders compared to yours.

Specifically to aid this problem? No. It only happened Monday, then to a lesser extent Friday when I backed down the weight 5 lbs. My left shoulder stuck once on the way up and my brain basically blanked on me mid-lift. I didn't dare push through that kind of discomfort Monday so I called it a fail, and was still bothered enough on Friday that I figured I'd ask here. As others have said, the YLLS thread moves at a snail's pace so I'd rather ask the questions here.

A bit more detail: I've only really been at this steadily since last June, far FAR less than most people here, but I'm not a total stranger to the gym. I just decided that I was tired of starting a routine and stopping it ad infinitum and paying for a gym membership for five years when I was barely in it for a fraction of that time. I ran volume work using the cavefish routine as a starting point until the start of February of this year, at which point I moved to SS as a strength routine to get more comfortable with its major compound lifts. So yeah, definite beginner territory. This has been my first real obstacle, and it's a concerning one.

I know you can't live or die by what every trainer tells you, even if it's Rip and his charming Texas weight coach accent, and I know I've got to learn to feel out my own body. Some of you guys have been doing this for years and years. I think part of my problem is (could be?) that I'm thinking more about the explosiveness of the lift to get the heavier weight up and not considering the cues as I do so. If I'm feeling an impingement, it could be that I haven't retracted my shoulder blades properly on the way to the top of the lift. Or, as was previously mentioned, I should see a doctor. Or both. Or it's too much weight. Etc. etc.

Since all my previous attempts at weightlifting were more or less shut down by other stuff going on, I never started approaching my max with a lot of lifts and I think part of the issue is that I just need to slow it down before I end up like one of these idiots in these crossfit videos. But I've definitely been pursuing superset shoulder work information so it's good to see someone else chime in with that.

Even if it's only been a little more than 9 months, I've been in the gym 3-4 times a week for 50-90 minutes depending on the work I'm doing. I'm usually up at 4:30 am to pull that off and only stopped when we had a hurricane hit and I had the flu. To me, that's a lot of hard work and I'd hate to lose progress or scuttle it altogether because I was being stupid. I don't think I could at this point - my body's actually craving the activity and I feel twitchy as hell if I'm off my routine. I'd love to keep this going for as long as I can, until I'm old and grey and then some, so I'd rather common sense win out the day and not the need to show off.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 11, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ElectricSheep posted:

Specifically to aid this problem? No. It only happened Monday, then to a lesser extent Friday when I backed down the weight 5 lbs. My left shoulder stuck once on the way up and my brain basically blanked on me mid-lift. I didn't dare push through that kind of discomfort Monday so I called it a fail, and was still bothered enough on Friday that I figured I'd ask here. As others have said, the YLLS thread moves at a snail's pace so I'd rather ask the questions here.

A bit more detail: I've only really been at this steadily since last June, far FAR less than most people here, but I'm not a total stranger to the gym. I just decided that I was tired of starting a routine and stopping it ad infinitum and paying for a gym membership for five years when I was barely in it for a fraction of that time. I ran volume work using the cavefish routine as a starting point until the start of February of this year, at which point I moved to SS as a strength routine to get more comfortable with its major compound lifts. So yeah, definite beginner territory. This has been my first real obstacle, and it's a concerning one.

I know you can't live or die by what every trainer tells you, even if it's Rip and his charming Texas weight coach accent, and I know I've got to learn to feel out my own body. Some of you guys have been doing this for years and years. I think part of my problem is (could be?) that I'm thinking more about the explosiveness of the lift to get the heavier weight up and not considering the cues as I do so. If I'm feeling an impingement, it could be that I haven't retracted my shoulder blades properly on the way to the top of the lift. Or, as was previously mentioned, I should see a doctor. Or both. Or it's too much weight. Etc. etc.

Since all my previous attempts at weightlifting were more or less shut down by other stuff going on, I never started approaching my max with a lot of lifts and I think part of the issue is that I just need to slow it down before I end up like one of these idiots in these crossfit videos. But I've definitely been pursuing superset shoulder work information so it's good to see someone else chime in with that.

Even if it's only been a little more than 9 months, I've been in the gym 3-4 times a week for 50-90 minutes depending on the work I'm doing. I'm usually up at 4:30 am to pull that off and only stopped when we had a hurricane hit and I had the flu. To me, that's a lot of hard work and I'd hate to lose progress or scuttle it altogether because I was being stupid. I don't think I could at this point - my body's actually craving the activity and I feel twitchy as hell if I'm off my routine. I'd love to keep this going for as long as I can, until I'm old and grey and then some, so I'd rather common sense win out the day and not the need to show off.

That’s the right attitude, you’re on your way to becoming a cute iron boi

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ElectricSheep posted:

Speaking of olympic lifts, I have to get used to wearing a belt during deadlifts mainly because a) I want to for safety's sake as the weight increases

Belts don't help with safety, they just let you lift more. Injury rates are the same either way

Use a belt if you want bigger numbers but that's it

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
And that is why you don't do that wearing straps. I remember seeing a video of a guy who got the bar above his head, but fell back with the bar towards his chest, pinning his back to the ground and breaking both of his forearms.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Sonny webster and klokov seem to snatch a lot with straps.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Rejoice my children, for today it is leg day and I will work my glutes and my hams and my quads until I am become death

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Sludge Tank posted:

Sonny webster and klokov seem to snatch a lot with straps.

They are also not amateurs and know how to properly bail.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

When you look like Klokov maybe you can start doing advanced and risky stuff

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://www.reddit.com/r/MuscleConfusion/

This poo poo is solid gold.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Fartbox posted:

When you look like Klokov maybe you can start doing advanced and risky stuff

I like how he basically gave up on Oly lifting so he could juice as much as he wanted

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
what the best gym shorts and compression shorts thanks

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TenementFunster posted:

I like Skins.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

MikeCrotch posted:

Belts don't help with safety, they just let you lift more. Injury rates are the same either way

Use a belt if you want bigger numbers but that's it

Bigger numbers mean bigger muscles, no?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

i love these kinds of videos

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Grump posted:

Bigger numbers mean bigger muscles, no?

Using a belt is only really helpful for low rep lifts at least 1.5 times bodyweight. so not really useful for hypertrophy and getting ***sWoLe***

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

TenementFunster posted:

Lululemon

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
should clarify that i’m not a woman

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

TenementFunster posted:

should clarify that i’m not a woman

I know that they have an association as a yoga brand but their stuff for guys is really, REALLY nice.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I wear their work pants, and their underwear is really nice as well.

It's really good for anyone with athletic proportions in their legs.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah Lululemon poo poo for men is pricey but very nice

I'm personally a fan of Reebok *~CROSSFIT~* branded gear (I try to find the least branded versions of it all) it's durable, well built and not insanely expensive.

Also in that crossfit fails video dude at 0:36 had a full on mechanical failure, I'd be interested to see what brand of barbell he was using because it should NOT be failing at anywhere near that load. Most bars like that have at least a 2000lb safety rating.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 16, 2018

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

lol gently caress that lululemon poo poo is expensive

I prefer $12 Inzer stringers and 15 year old gym shorts

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
A good friend works for lululemon, and has been trying to get me to buy their poo poo for a year and a half.

Still use the same 3 old pairs of gym shorts. (New shirts though)

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
all gyms shorts need to do is cover your junk and not get in the way

underwear is where the real magic happens

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Realtalk Lululemon's yoga pants for men are insanely comfortable and if you have mega-quads they make your legs look massive.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

MA-Horus posted:

Realtalk Lululemon's yoga pants for men are insanely comfortable and if you have mega-quads they make your legs look massive.

Don't forget the package enhancement, if you are a shower that is.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Zil posted:

Don't forget the package enhancement, if you are a shower that is.

:( what if you're not a shower?...

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Vargatron posted:

:( what if you're not a shower?...

They also sell socks

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just pump it manually before entering the gym, sheeesh do we have to spell everything out here

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Guess I'll just walk by the yoga room.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
gently caress tendonitis

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Sludge Tank posted:

gently caress tendonitis

My left hammy agrees. Although it’s not playing up at the moment.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Having it in your leg must eat rear end. I have it in my forearm/bicep. I think ive narrowed down its trigger to squatting.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Sludge Tank posted:

Having it in your leg must eat rear end. I have it in my forearm/bicep. I think ive narrowed down its trigger to squatting.

Ask me about going from a 120kg 5 rep pr squat to not being able to squat 60kg. Gradually working my way back up now though thank gently caress.

When it was particularly bad I couldn’t even do seated pull downs because it would fire agony down my leg :negative:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I got (self diagnosed, yeah I know, will see a doctor next week probably) plantar fasciitis that makes the sole of my foot feel like it's on fire sometimes. Hasn't stopped me from working out but has reduced volume and just made the experience less fun you know. Did a bunch (over multiple breaks, lost count) of sets of 10x80kg bench press and 25kg one arm dumbbell overhead press at work, still haven't gotten to actually trying a real 1 rep bench press max.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Could be cancer as well

Could always also be cancer, guys, remember that

You will probably die of cancer

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Mmmmm the sweet embrace of cancer

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

What does it mean if I nearly pass out deadlifting lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gungnirr
Mar 17, 2009

O Lucy, can you hear me?
Wherever you rest...
Nearly pass out? Not enough weight.