Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

dupersaurus posted:

It's looking like I'll be doing some shooting in the rain coming up. Any favorite solutions for DSLR protection on-the-go? Plastic grocery bag for sure, was also looking at these things since they come in small. Extra points for playing nicely with a tripod screw sling

Im really liking my Lenscoat (A random one linked, they come in many appearances and for different sizes/lengths of camera/lens setups)

It is very customizable with the various openings, velcros, zip up mechanisms, tripod opening, etc. It might be on the high end of ones budget though, depending on how often you would need one of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dupersaurus posted:

It's looking like I'll be doing some shooting in the rain coming up. Any favorite solutions for DSLR protection on-the-go? Plastic grocery bag for sure, was also looking at these things since they come in small. Extra points for playing nicely with a tripod screw sling

Go with the optech sleeves. They're great for what you want.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there a thread somewhere for compact video? (GoPro/alternatives)

In the order they appear in my bookmarks today
Cinematography thread: No film vs. video talk, dammit
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3144982

Film & Video Editing/Post-prod Thread: Clever title on cutting room floor
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3367934

The Video Quick Questions Megathread (fallen to archives)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389301

DSLR Video Megathread : 4k For The Rest Of Us (fallen to archives)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3294359

I dunno if any of them have any information or current discussion that interests you. What are you thinking about? I have a GoPro, a generic dashcam, and a pile of raw video from my phone and my DSLR on my computer that I want to do something with, but my current excuse is lack of motivation.

EDIT: Motivation. Maybe this is completely different from anything anybody else here cares about, but a couple of years ago I made a 2-second-a-day video for a November; 30 days makes a nice round minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkLN77cEN24
It was just random daily life stuff, but it forced me to practice basic stuff like cutting the 2 seconds I wanted out of each day's clips. April is coming, and also has 30 days.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 12, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ExecuDork posted:

I dunno if any of them have any information or current discussion that interests you. What are you thinking about? I have a GoPro, a generic dashcam, and a pile of raw video from my phone and my DSLR on my computer that I want to do something with, but my current excuse is lack of motivation.

I'd be interested in a thread that would help me learn how to do stuff with footage like that.

I;ve got adobe premiere, but don't really know how to use it apart from mashing icons randomly

EDIT: Motivation. Maybe this is completely different from anything anybody else here cares about, but a couple of years ago I made a 2-second-a-day video for a November; 30 days makes a nice round minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkLN77cEN24
It was just random daily life stuff, but it forced me to practice basic stuff like cutting the 2 seconds I wanted out of each day's clips. April is coming, and also has 30 days.
[/quote]

fun concept.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ExecuDork posted:

In the order they appear in my bookmarks today
Cinematography thread: No film vs. video talk, dammit
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3144982

Film & Video Editing/Post-prod Thread: Clever title on cutting room floor
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3367934

The Video Quick Questions Megathread (fallen to archives)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389301

DSLR Video Megathread : 4k For The Rest Of Us (fallen to archives)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3294359

Thank you :) I'm sick of GoPros having hardware/software issues and am in the position where I am required to run video, so I can't have the stupid thing deciding it wants to stay hard-locked until the battery dies.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've never had a hardware problem with my GoPro so I can't help you with any issues like that. On the software front, I can tell you the free video-editing software you can download from GoPro is utter shyte. I spent like $70 and got myself a decent non-linear editor (NLE) that is more capable and sophisticated than I am, allowing me to teach myself what I want to learn before I run into serious software limitations. The GoPro software failed immediately - a single wrong click and the 20 minutes it took to import videos and stills (for a time-lapse) was wasted and had to be re-done.

Video editing was highly counter-intuitive for me, the terminology and (worse) the symbols didn't make any sense and the tutorials I found were for things I had no interest in doing, or didn't see the need, or were way too advanced for me. Having a project in mind - 2 seconds of video pulled from somewhere in the middle of my daily 10-15 seconds of shooting, stitched together, major sound issues resolved, and with a text overlay - was what I needed to climb that early, steep learning curve. The transferable skills from still photography - crop, rotate, composition, brightness/contrast/white balance - were useful but everything else about video-making was new to me.

My NLE is Corel VideoStudio 2.0; the current edition is now named after the year (VideoStudio Pro 2018) and I think is roughly equivalent to version 4.0 - for the past year or so they've been emailing me about 3.0, but recently the flood of "Act Now! Limited Time Offer! (new one next week)" emails has shifted to the 2018 version. I'm basically happy with VideoStudio, and when I eventually upgrade my computer hardware I'll also spring for the upgrade on that software.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

After upgrading from a Fuji X100S to an X100F, I thought I should also upgrade the Tap & Dye strap. I ordered the same one as I did four years ago (antique tan legacy strap), but two inches longer and with bumpers this time, since the split rings actually scratched/brassed the body last time.

The new one is substantially thinner, which I'm not sure if I like yet. I think the old one started as the same color; I wish I had a picture from back then so I could see if it just naturally got so dark over four years of use.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That old one looks way overkill wrt thickness but I’d like to see doubled up hardware at the end loops if it were my camera hanging off of it

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

RIP Flash/Lighting thread.

How much usefulness will I lose if I go with a two-AA battery-powered (Godox TT350F) versus a four-AA (TT685F) for on and off-camera flash?

The 350 is a good deal more compact and would be more manageable to use on top of a mirrorless camera, and just fine for my on-camera use cases. I guess it might have slower recycle times, but should serve me fine as long as they don't get painfully slow. I can wait a couple of seconds between shots.

But what about off-camera use? I want to do single outdoor portraits rather than studio stuff, but would like to have a small umbrella stand to provide some diffuse directional light. An example might be using the flash+umbrella to illuminate a subject standing in the shade on a sunny day, or to brighten up a subject in otherwise low evening light by bouncing the flash directly off of a wall or ceiling. Would I be crippling my abilities to do these sorts of things if I don't go for the bigger flash?

Edit: The kit I'm looking at comes with either a TT350F or a TT685F, plus a Godox wireless trigger. The trigger has a hotshoe on top. Could I use the trigger as a base for a manual off-camera flash, triggered by the on-camera Godox flash gun?

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 18, 2018

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The 350 is enough for light off camera use. I've used mine for indoor headshot sessions but that was frustrating enough for me to buy a pair of AD200s. However, nonpro use would be fine. I regularly pack my 350 and trigger just in case I need lighting in a pinch.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 18, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’m looking to get a long telephoto zoom for bird/wildlife photography, and am considering either the Sigma 100-400 or the 150-600 C. I tend to shoot handheld while walking in the woods, and I’m wondering if the longer lens would be too much of a hassle. I’m a larger guy, so carrying around reasonably heavy equipment doesn’t really bother me.

What do you folks think? Is the 150-600 Contemporary better suited for tripod/monopod use?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Monopods with anything at or longer than 300mm are typically a good idea, doubly so if those lens or your body don't have IS. If you're in the woods then light may be an issue as well and the monopod is going to be all the more helpful to stabilize things.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Some reviews I’ve read of the 350 said that it’s a bit underpowered for outdoor use, sort of making the HSS capability an odd bullet point on the feature list because it’s often not powerful enough to make great use of HSS. If you’re specifically looking at off-camera lighting for outdoor portraits like you say, I think I’d go with the bigger flash.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

I’m looking to get a long telephoto zoom for bird/wildlife photography, and am considering either the Sigma 100-400 or the 150-600 C. I tend to shoot handheld while walking in the woods, and I’m wondering if the longer lens would be too much of a hassle. I’m a larger guy, so carrying around reasonably heavy equipment doesn’t really bother me.

What do you folks think? Is the 150-600 Contemporary better suited for tripod/monopod use?

I've been shooting Tamron 150-600, which is pretty equivalent to the Sigma. You can definitely hike with it, but you'll feel like you are hiking with a big lens. There are shots I miss because I can't be as quick and agile with such a big lens, but then some of the shots I do get are better for being at 600mm. The more you use it the better you'll get hand-held. You'll get more keepers on a tripod, but that doesn't mean you can't also hike with it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I've been shooting Tamron 150-600, which is pretty equivalent to the Sigma. You can definitely hike with it, but you'll feel like you are hiking with a big lens. There are shots I miss because I can't be as quick and agile with such a big lens, but then some of the shots I do get are better for being at 600mm. The more you use it the better you'll get hand-held. You'll get more keepers on a tripod, but that doesn't mean you can't also hike with it.

That’s all good to hear. Right now, most of my time in the woods is spent walking rough trails near work on my lunch hour, so no actual hiking. I also do a fair bit of backyard birding—another low-intensity use case. Like DJExile mentioned, I probably will spring for a monopod whenever I do pick up a longer lens. I plan on longer forays now that it’s warming up.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

President Beep posted:

I sometimes walk around with my 500/4.5 on my camera, and shoot that handheld. Doing that is rather different from walking around with my camera and any other lens I own. It's not too bad, though, and I can almost always find a way to stabilize the lens, like on some solid object (fence, railing, pile of rocks, tree branch, etc.) or by sitting / kneeling and balancing my elbow on my knee or something like that. It's awkward but it usually works. I'm not familiar with either of the lenses you're considering but walking around (not too far!) with a big stupid lens isn't something that becomes impossible at 600mm. Maybe with something really silly like a homemade 800mm or something.

I agree 100% about getting more keepers with a tripod, and with the point that you'll see big improvements with a little practice. I've never used a monopod but sooner or later I'll get one to use with my oversize supertele.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Some reviews I’ve read of the 350 said that it’s a bit underpowered for outdoor use, sort of making the HSS capability an odd bullet point on the feature list because it’s often not powerful enough to make great use of HSS. If you’re specifically looking at off-camera lighting for outdoor portraits like you say, I think I’d go with the bigger flash.

I'd agree with this. They're fine for indoor stuff (I have a couple to go along with my AD200s for moments I need a bit of fill light) but for a good chunk of outdoor shots they're probably going to be under powered unless the shooting situation plays along well. You would be better off getting something more powerful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've used Canon's push pull 400mm at three day race weekends, it's pretty easy on the wrist even without a monopod. You definitely feel it towards the end of the day but it's not permanent injury territory, you'll be good to go again by morning.

Tamron's 150-600 is a lot harder to use without a monopod all day. I'm not sure that it's all that much heavier than the canon 100-400, but it's longer, and leverage takes a toll.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I keep going back and forth between the 150-600C and the 100-400. On the one hand, the former has that sweet 600mm reach, not even including crop factor. On the other hand, the latter is lighter, cheaper, and the focal range—going down to 100—might be better for casual, less formal birding (opportunistic shots while strolling through the woods and whatnot).

On both hands, either one’ll be better than my first gen. 55-250, so in the end I suppose I can’t lose. What I’ll likely end up doing is buying the 100-400, and if after a year of use I find it lacking, I’ll sell it and pick up the longer lens.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Do y'all use any online lens rental services? The only closeby camera store has a lovely canon selection, and I'd really like to rent a 100-400 or 150-600 for birding this spring.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

Do y'all use any online lens rental services? The only closeby camera store has a lovely canon selection, and I'd really like to rent a 100-400 or 150-600 for birding this spring.

I've used LensRentals.com a couple of times before, no complaints about the experience.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Same, but with Borrow Lenses. Customer service was very accessible and knowledgeable as well.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

President Beep posted:

I rented the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary from Lensrentals (10/10 A++++ would rent from again*) last summer for a Canadian fishing trip, and I liked it a lot. I didn't use a tripod or monopod for a lot of my shooting, and it worked OK, but I was also sitting in a (lovely) boat seat a lot of the time and was able to brace my elbows on my knees for a lot of my shots. Next time I'll probably get a monopod just so I can use it standing more often.

* They never charged me for losing the lens cap, so they're aces in my book.

edit: don't forget to find a discount code for whomever you end up renting from.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've been thrilled with LensRentals the couple times I used them in the past

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve rented from lensrentals a lot, at least every month or two and sometimes big orders, and they’re great. Borrowlenses is similar but lensrentals is my go to.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Thanks guys, I'll try lensrentals. My local camera store is really overpriced, what one lens costs in one day is the weekly rate for the site.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lenrentals costs add up fast too though, especially if you're getting big lenses.

It's fine once or twice, but if you're getting 400mm+ gear from them for a weekend it doesn't take long for that cost to make up a good chunk of the total purchase price for the lens. Eventually you gotta make the decision to put your pennies in a piggybank and actually save up to buy something.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

xzzy posted:

Lenrentals costs add up fast too though, especially if you're getting big lenses.

It's fine once or twice, but if you're getting 400mm+ gear from them for a weekend it doesn't take long for that cost to make up a good chunk of the total purchase price for the lens. Eventually you gotta make the decision to put your pennies in a piggybank and actually save up to buy something.

I understand that, this is literally for a one-time use in the Indiana Dunes state park birding festival in May. Most of the stuff I shoot, which is urban and rural landscapes, street and architecture, my 17-70 or 10-18 covers fine, and the 70-200 for the rare event that I go to.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Indiana Dunes state park birding festival in May.

Woah. That sounds cool. I might have to check that out too. The park’s only about an hour and a half drive from me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh poo poo, yeah Indiana Dunes own. Go enjoy that

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Pls dont dox me

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Wow that went in completely the wrong thread. Leaving it up anyway :coolfish:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Lately I have seen a lot of ebay auctions with few or no bids, with very little time left, almost "too good to be true" kind of stuff like this:

But when you click on it, the listing doesn't exist and I get some search results instead:

I have seen it happen a dozen times now. Is this some kind of spam thing? What purpose does it serve?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I feel like I’ve seen stuff like that before but don’t even bother clicking, maybe a mis-listing (or changed/pulled) or cache bug or something? :iiam:

Speaking of eBay, 15% off up to $50 (i.e. savings cap out at $333) today until 7 PST:
https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2018/0320/7019.html
PSPRINGTIME

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
In the market for CF cards for the first time in forever. How often are there good sales? Any sites other than the usual (Amazon/B&H/Adorama) to check?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BetterLekNextTime posted:

In the market for CF cards for the first time in forever. How often are there good sales? Any sites other than the usual (Amazon/B&H/Adorama) to check?
eBay has a 15% off up to $50 code right now (...for the next two hours at least), PREPSPRING, and Adorama is on there at least.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

japtor posted:

eBay has a 15% off up to $50 code right now (...for the next two hours at least), PREPSPRING, and Adorama is on there at least.

Yeah I would not recommend buying flash cards off eBay for the most part, it's fine from established sellers like Adorama but don't buy from Joe's Discount Camera Shack.

I would not buy from Amazon either unless sold+shipped by Amazon (fulfilled-by-Amazon has commingled stock), nor from 3rd party sellers on Newegg or Rakuten or any other marketplace. There are tons and tons of lovely knockoff cards that fail instantly/quickly.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah only mentioned it cause Adorama is on there, I think I've seen Best Buy and a few other major retailers too but I'm not sure of a way to filter to them other than looking through each account individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
Looking to by a CPL, are there any dorkroom recommended brands/models? Price seem to vary a lot between brands and also within brands depending on if it is a "PRO", multi-coated, slim etc.