Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Clawtopsy posted:

ME2 on Insane is a sublime game wtf is this loving noise

dumbass hipsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pattonesque posted:

yes

what's weird is that they got NK Jemisin (who is really good!) to write the Cora novel which no one ever asked for

she wrote the first andromada centered novel too. it wasn't that bad.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Should’ve just let her write the game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Should’ve just let her write the game

this. they had the hack who wrote halo 4 writing it. all the good bioware people are writing da4.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. they had the hack who wrote halo 4 writing it. all the good bioware people are writing da4.

Which there have already been rumblings about going through a very troubled development. Apparently when MEA flopped the EA execs at Bioware freaked out and started ordering massive changes to whatever's going on with DA4.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Which there have already been rumblings about going through a very troubled development. Apparently when MEA flopped the EA execs at Bioware freaked out and started ordering massive changes to whatever's going on with DA4.

yeah, apperently it got "restarted". Bioware won't survive not-destiny.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, apperently it got "restarted". Bioware won't survive not-destiny.

That's probably a good thing. Bioware dying might prompt another, much better, developer to take up the torch. I just want decent RPGs where the story is focused on the party as well as the player. I don't care who makes 'em.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a great CRPG with a good ensemble cast from a non-AAA publisher that's worth your money.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Funky See Funky Do posted:

That's probably a good thing. Bioware dying might prompt another, much better, developer to take up the torch. I just want decent RPGs where the story is focused on the party as well as the player. I don't care who makes 'em.

Yeah like ... a BioWare-style game is good, but as of late I don't think BioWare can really make a good one anymore! It feels like they haven't innovated since Mass Effect 2 and they keep falling into traps that a less-ossified studio could avoid.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

exquisite tea posted:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a great CRPG with a good ensemble cast from a non-AAA publisher that's worth your money.

Yeah it's pretty good. I'm generally not a big fan of isometric games but I had a fun with it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

I dunno. I bought it but had a very hard time getting into it from a gameplay standpoint. I got the impression the game thought I'd have played the first one and already be familiar with how to play the game, because it sure wasn't keen on explaining it and I eventually gave up after repeatedly getting my rear end kicked in a fight I didn't know how to handle and don't know if I was even supposed to be doing at the level I was.

Didn't even seem to be any cheat codes or console to just brute force my way past that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I really want DA4 to be good because Tevinter could be such a cool setting but uhhhh it doesn't seem smart to be optimistic right now

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

At this point it's not even a guarantee that DA4 is going to get made.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Is pillars of eternity any good? I see it's available for the bonx now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I was into it for a while, then I took a break for too long, and now I can't get back into it because I don't remember what I'm doing or who any of the characters are and I've got like 30 quests in my log.

But it was fun while I was playing it, I seem to remember

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm still kinda baffled how things even got to this point. Say what you will about the story, I think ME3 had far and away the best core gameplay and shooting of the series - it's the only Mass Effect game I usually play on hardcore or insanity, and enjoy it. ME2 was probably the best story, though the lack of gay options disappointed me in that regard.

I don't know who got it into their heads that Bioware, so good at creating tight, focused storylines and gameplay experiences, would benefit from going open world. Leave that nonsense to Bethesda.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I thought it was really boring and generic. A whole lot of Baron Infodumps giving you 10 paragraphs of exposition at a time and your party members are all idiots who cannot resist killing themselves without being micromanaged incessantly.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

If you like that kind of game yeah. It does a few novel things.

Cythereal posted:

I'm still kinda baffled how things even got to this point. Say what you will about the story, I think ME3 had far and away the best core gameplay and shooting of the series - it's the only Mass Effect game I usually play on hardcore or insanity, and enjoy it. ME2 was probably the best story, though the lack of gay options disappointed me in that regard.

I don't know who got it into their heads that Bioware, so good at creating tight, focused storylines and gameplay experiences, would benefit from going open world. Leave that nonsense to Bethesda.

People are too hard on ME3 for the endings but some of the levels in it are among the most memorable bits of game I've ever played. The Turian moon and returning to reaper occupied London were amazing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I thought it was really boring and generic. A whole lot of Baron Infodumps giving you 10 paragraphs of exposition at a time and your party members are all idiots who cannot resist killing themselves without being micromanaged incessantly.

I think the info dumps are why I bounced off it, yeah. I hit a streak where I was too tired to do that much reading in a video game so I took a break to play some more mindless stuff and now I can’t remember what’s going on and I’m sure as hell not starting from the beginning

The writing is perfectly good, I just wasn’t in the mood for that kind of game for a bit

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

If you like that kind of game yeah. It does a few novel things.

Cool

quote:

People are too hard on ME3 for the endings but some of the levels in it are among the most memorable bits of game I've ever played. The Turian moon and returning to reaper occupied London were amazing.

No no no no no no no

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I mean tbf I would also describe portions of ME3 as some of my "most memorable" moments in gaming, so yeah

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Those parts were cool as hell and I'm not ashamed to think so. After the build up of first two games actually looking up and seeing Palaven getting obliterated and Reapers crawling all over London was sick.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It still amazes me that people come away from a lovely mission reporting that the skybox was really good, therefore the mission was good.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Those parts were cool as hell and I'm not ashamed to think so. After the build up of first two games actually looking up and seeing Palaven getting obliterated and Reapers crawling all over London was sick.

My favorite gameplay levels were from the Leviathan DLC. I didn't care for the big reveal at the end, but I thought the three levels in the DLC were pretty cool and fun to play through.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ME2 Insanity was better than ME3 Insanity because ME3 took the extra health bars out which made squad and power selection much less important.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 18, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cythereal posted:

My favorite gameplay levels were from the Leviathan DLC. I didn't care for the big reveal at the end, but I thought the three levels in the DLC were pretty cool and fun to play through.

The Omega DLC had some amazing looking levels in it too, especially that mining area at the very end. Even Citadel's environments looked great and nothing like the rest of the game, the first level after the restaurant was legitimately the first time the Citadel felt like an actual place and not a generic hub world to me.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The White March expansions are some of the best CRPG content out there imo and the main reason I have absolute faith in the sequel that's coming out soon. Outside of the expansion, the main game is good but a lot more hit or miss, and unfortunately for Obsidian the worst part of the game is the first couple hours while you get your bearings. If you do play it, the one thing you need to know in advance is that any character with a gold border around their name is a Kickstarter backer's fan fiction they paid to put in the game and the sooner you stop reading them the better your experience will be.

Also no clue how it actually plays on a console, only played it with a mouse and keyboard.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Jack's mission in ME3 was pretty great! Maybe because it was basically a Mass Effect 2 loyalty mission

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, White March is pretty fantastic and should be played at least once, but a lot of PoE's writing is first-draft and it shows. The balance and mechanics have been improved over time (party members have actual AI settings now, instead of requiring constant micro), but the writing is still pretty rough in places and the game doesn't really come together the way it should.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

It still amazes me that people come away from a lovely mission reporting that the skybox was really good, therefore the mission was good.

The game set a solid mood, and things like Palavens moon really worked well with it. poo poo was hosed and you were on the back foot but getting your team together.

The skybox was the icing on the cake.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

There may be a wide variety of weapons but not a good selection. All of the beam weapons, for example, are a straight downgrade from every single projectile weapon.

I haven't found a beam weapon I like yet, but, for instance, the quarian electric shock "shotgun" quickly became a favorite despite on-paper inferior stats. Gun is just satisfying to use. It concentrates its attack on whatever it finds within its wide arc of effect, making it dependable even against mid range targets. It's hard to miss or gently caress up face shots with it, whilst finding the sweet spot with a regular shotgun up close can be tricky.

Also the reload animation is drat cool.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Pattonesque posted:

Jack's mission in ME3 was pretty great! Maybe because it was basically a Mass Effect 2 loyalty mission

Her character arc between the end of 2 and 3 was the only good one.

But then you do her mission, get,to the end and it didn't matter in the slightest

GG bioware

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Her character arc between the end of 2 and 3 was the only good one.

But then you do her mission, get,to the end and it didn't matter in the slightest

GG bioware

Doesn’t her state at the end of ME2 really effect the Grissom academy level in 3?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

quote:

According to Patrick Weekes, the plot for this mission was inspired by the attack on the X-Mansion in the film X-Men 2, with Jack as Wolverine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah, i definitely saw the influence.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
ME3 jack owned for the 14 seconds she was in it before all the self-inserts came back

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

ME3 jack owned for the 14 seconds she was in it before all the self-inserts came back

One of the better ME2 character appearances. For example Jacob who they apparently forgot was a romance option in ME2.

Having a weak terminally ill Thane clown on their new supposed super badass was pretty funny at least

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

One of the better ME2 character appearances. For example Jacob who they apparently forgot was a romance option in ME2.

Having a weak terminally ill Thane clown on their new supposed super badass was pretty funny at least

I've said it roughly ten million times, but it really felt like a good chunk of the writing team did not have any respect for Kai Leng's bullshit.

I mean, he's stopped by a cop loving with his elevator like a kid in an eighties comedy. That does not sell "badass". Especially not with his death scene.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kai Leng is the comedy relief of Mass Effect 3. This is 100% intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

I've said it roughly ten million times, but it really felt like a good chunk of the writing team did not have any respect for Kai Leng's bullshit.

I mean, he's stopped by a cop loving with his elevator like a kid in an eighties comedy. That does not sell "badass". Especially not with his death scene.

Then again everyone thought that in asoiaf dark star was a parody. When it was brought up to GRRM he was confused and thought darkstar was a badass.