Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hope in one hand and shoot H in the other and see which one falls off first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

toiletbrush posted:

Acting all detached and rational and saying 'well at least we tried' is 100% bullshit but also 100% bulletproof rationalisation of doing really stupid poo poo. See also: backing Star Citizen.

This post made me think that somewhere out in the world is a nerd who backed Star Citizen, invests in crypto, and owns an Ouya.

Then I realized that there is probably a lot of overlap between supporters of those things. Lol

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Gobblecoque posted:

This post made me think that somewhere out in the world is a nerd who backed Star Citizen, invests in crypto, and owns an Ouya.

Then I realized that there is probably a lot of overlap between supporters of those things. Lol

The resident Star Citizen shill that doesn't post anywhere but the Star Citizen thread spent money on cryptocurrencies. No idea about an Ouya though.

Also the banned cryptopedophile, Seraph84, that has been making GBS threads up our bitcoin threads for years on countless re-regs is also an avid supporter of Star Citizen.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Gobblecoque posted:

It's gotten to the point where sometimes I have to check which thread I'm reading because they are so similar it's hard to tell just by reading the posts.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I just want to say that these dips are simply a test. Just like how God tested Job's faith, Bitcoin is testing our faith in it, and we must HODL.

Don't give up my friends — Bitcoin is here and yes, it is getting a rough treatment, much like the rough treatment Jesus got when he first came onto the scene. But do not doubt, for Bitcoin will rise and its power will be manifest in the ages to come.

If you believe in a govermentless society, HODL.

If you believe in a better future, where no one is forced to pay taxes, where no purchases are tracked, where no families en masse are rounded up and robbed at random, where no communities are massacred by sectarian violence, HODL.

If you believe in being one of the chosen few; the few that recognized a new, transformative power never before seen in this world, a power that will bring the dawn of a new Golden Age, HODL.

And don't just HODL, spread the word. From the highest mountains to the lowest valleys, spread the word. Get your friends and family to buy. The more people we get, the higher the value will climb, and the brighter all of our futures will be.

Don't let these dips scare you my friends. It's all a test. Believe in Bitcoin and Bitcoin will believe in you.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Shoulda SODL

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

IPCRESS posted:

Yeah, no, that competition was won about 3 years ago when someone on these very forums coined the name "Dunning-Krugerrands".

the new hotness is nonce cents

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

junan_paalla posted:

I just want to say that these dips are simply a test. Just like how God tested Job's faith, Bitcoin is testing our faith in it, and we must HODL.

Don't give up my friends — Bitcoin is here and yes, it is getting a rough treatment, much like the rough treatment Jesus got when he first came onto the scene. But do not doubt, for Bitcoin will rise and its power will be manifest in the ages to come.

If you believe in a govermentless society, HODL.

If you believe in a better future, where no one is forced to pay taxes, where no purchases are tracked, where no families en masse are rounded up and robbed at random, where no communities are massacred by sectarian violence, HODL.

If you believe in being one of the chosen few; the few that recognized a new, transformative power never before seen in this world, a power that will bring the dawn of a new Golden Age, HODL.

And don't just HODL, spread the word. From the highest mountains to the lowest valleys, spread the word. Get your friends and family to buy. The more people we get, the higher the value will climb, and the brighter all of our futures will be.

Don't let these dips scare you my friends. It's all a test. Believe in Bitcoin and Bitcoin will believe in you.

Sermon on the butte

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Gobblecoque posted:

There's a phenomena in marketing where the people who buy one failed product also tend to buy other failed products. So the people who bought crystal pepsi in the 80s probably bought watermelon oreos in the 00s. They are called "harbingers of failure". The same thing might be going on with crank magnetism.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm still holding the $215 of ETH I bought in late December that's now worth about $95. So happy to lose that if this whole thing goes to $0 just for the tears.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Last month, I made 50$ just by having money in a money market account. This is more money than like half of all buttcoiners have made. Suck it, #coinhavers.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

WalletBeef posted:

Last month, I made 50$ just by having money in a money market account. This is more money than like half of all buttcoiners have made. Suck it, #coinhavers.

Sheeit, I can make that in an hour sucking dicks

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Last month I had $50 in my wallet. Today I still have the $50 in my wallet. I'm pretty sure I've outperformed the crypto market.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

The female-pretending permabanned kiddie diddler who was posting under the name "Moxxis Endowment" in this thread just a couple of months ago had professed to all of those things so the shoe fits

e: oh right seraph84 was his original name. Did I mention that the kiddie he was trying to diddle was his cousin?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 18, 2018

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

The female-pretending permabanned kiddie diddler who was posting under the name "Moxxis Endowment" in this thread just a couple of months ago had professed to all of those things so the shoe fits

e: oh right seraph84 was his original name. Did I mention that the kiddie he was trying to diddle was his cousin?

lol

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

lol

Is there a thread about this?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

QuarkJets posted:

You're talking about the totally legitimate and normal person who posted a random weightlifting woman's photo as their personal icon and posted something to the effect of "*bitcoin shoves its high heeled toe into ur scrotum*" in this very thread, right?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fightwithcrayons posted:

lol

Is there a thread about this?

It's this thread

Although seraph84 has also been posting in the YOSPOS bitcoin thread for years, he just loves giving money to lowtax or something

Nessus posted:

You're talking about the totally legitimate and normal person who posted a random weightlifting woman's photo as their personal icon and posted something to the effect of "*bitcoin shoves its high heeled toe into ur scrotum*" in this very thread, right?

Yup

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

huge short squeeze on ethereum, price spiked from ~520 to 580, tons of margin shorts closed on bitfinex

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

The whale finally woke up or someone plugged in the tether printer.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/stephendpalley/status/975380552063836160

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Uranium 235 posted:

huge short squeeze on ethereum, price spiked from ~520 to 580, tons of margin shorts closed on bitfinex

It's this:

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1GU0SF

Crypto's volatility is catnip

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

is that bitfinexed's lawyer?

Adar posted:

It's this:

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1GU0SF

Crypto's volatility is catnip
yeah i saw that posted right before the short squeeze

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

is that bitfinexed's lawyer?

yeah

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

their lawyer is a dolphin? That rules

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

their lawyer is a dolphin? That rules

https://twitter.com/stephendpalley/status/974736311948136449

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I've been watching the cryptochats again to see if there is anything interesting to crosspost and it just seems like an endless argument over who has the most correct Technical Analysis and is really boring.

It's weird how the people who are invested in the topic all unanimously want to believe that the system is that transparent and that they or someone else has totally figured it out. It's also extremely dull because most of the meltdowns have given way to people preaching about trendlines and soothing the masses with dreams of $100,000 bitcoins.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

lol

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The argument that bitcoin uses an inordinate amount of energy is missing the key factor in how much that actually compares to the current financial industry, which is belching out C02 around the world as we speak.

If it's actually more than all the armored trucks, fraud prevention data centers, and huge office buildings lit 24/7 combined then that would suck but I highly doubt it. That's assuming the worst case scenario in going with proof of work over proof of stake.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

wide stance posted:

The argument that bitcoin uses an inordinate amount of energy is missing the key factor in how much that actually compares to the current financial industry, which is belching out C02 around the world as we speak.

If it's actually more than all the armored trucks, fraud prevention data centers, and huge office buildings lit 24/7 combined then that would suck but I highly doubt it. That's assuming the worst case scenario in going with proof of work over proof of stake.

I think we are allowed to just get angry at a monumentally stupid waste of energy, even if there are other bigger wastes of energy, yes?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Pochoclo posted:

I think we are allowed to just get angry at a monumentally stupid, intentional waste of energy, even if there are other bigger wastes of energy, yes?

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I've been watching the cryptochats again to see if there is anything interesting to crosspost and it just seems like an endless argument over who has the most correct Technical Analysis and is really boring.

It's weird how the people who are invested in the topic all unanimously want to believe that the system is that transparent and that they or someone else has totally figured it out. It's also extremely dull because most of the meltdowns have given way to people preaching about trendlines and soothing the masses with dreams of $100,000 bitcoins.

"GUY YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD OF HAS POSTED THIS INTERESTING BLOG PREDICTING BITCOIN WILL REACH $91,000 BY 2020!" its loving surreal

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

wide stance posted:

yeah, but they actually make real money. You know, the kind you can spend.

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

This but imagine it's a bitcoin exchange, and you (the reader) are Bane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nppON29OZ_4

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Risc1911 posted:

The whale finally woke up or someone plugged in the tether printer.

pump is _live_, guys! hang out in the gbs telegram room and we will let you know when the pump is about to end.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Uranium 235 posted:

yeah i saw that posted right before the short squeeze

insider traders set shorts before negative article is released..

adversarial insiders running exchange launch short squeeze and succ the margin calls up

:dukedoge:

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

wide stance posted:

This is dumb as hell. Bitcoin is stupidity inefficient with only tiny number of users compared to the financial industry.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wide stance posted:

And that counterargument is missing the key factor that bitcoin does not replicate more than a tiny fraction of the services provided by the current financial industry. The only thing that bitcoin could eliminate is anti-counterfeiting effort, but it takes many orders of magnitude more energy than all of the anti-counterfeiting departments in the world combined. Money is already transmitted digitally at a tiny fraction of the cost that it takes to transmit bitcoins, bitcoin trading platforms still require datacenters to operate on, fraud protection services would still need to exist even if everyone used bitcoin instead of cash, etc

e: And it also falls for the false hope that proof of stake is more energy efficient than proof of work

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 19, 2018

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

wide stance posted:

That's not even remotely comparable, yeah you need a lot of energy to keep a currency going, but that energy isn't wasted per se, it's all being used for legitimate purpose. A bank may use X amount of energy to store customer records - technically that's "wasted" when compared to a decentralized currency but that energy is being consumed to perform a required operational task.

bitcoin mining by comparison is intentional energy wastage . The currency is based on how much energy you are willing to expend in order to mine coins which is entirely arbitrary. The energy serves no purpose.

It's like, you've got two people with two pools that need to be filled with water. The first person places a hose into the empty pool and fills it up, using a lot of water. The second person places the hose directly into the stormwater drain, and uses the same amount of water as could have been used in the pool. That person then magically wishes the pool full of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

wide stance posted:

i almost thought you were shitposting butt you're just doing the typical mental gymnastics as your brain tries to justify your poor investment into the cult.

proof of work is a distributed computing algorithm. it's designed to waste any additional computer power that's added to it. all PoW does is grow more inefficient.

the security model only attempts to waste enough computing power in the hope some entity won't have enough capital to gently caress with the transaction chain.

comparing Proof of Waste with something like a bank which provides actual security, fraud protection, instant cash ATMs, loans, etc, is really dumb

Computer Serf fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 19, 2018