Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

There were some rumors going around that Avellone might be collaborating with Obsidian on their new project The Outer Worlds, which apparently also has several interplay alumni on staff.

Considering how he left Obsidian in bad terms I find that really hard to believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Liquid Communism posted:

That's a terrifying thought. An entire Vault of larpers.

We could name them after some ancient historical organisation, like the Legion

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I actually didnt know CA left on bad terms with obsidian (or even that he left at all), sad to hear that. Cursory googling makes it seem like his biggest problem was the aims of the upper management, which aim to be bought out rather than maintain independence.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

prometheusbound2 posted:

Fallout 3 asked us to take much of its dumb things seriously.

Ave, true to Caesar.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Neurolimal posted:

IDK if he was a Clinton parody, doesn't seem like it from his dialogue .msg file:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Qhprzrch.msg

The president isn't a direct Clinton parody, but his secretary is one giant Lewinsky reference, stained dress jokes and all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fallout 2 has a bizzare quality curve where the first few hours and the last few hours suck. And the middle of the game is alright. Everything after San Francisco was a mistake.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
We're never going to get good games while we believe only one man on Earth can write good games

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Neurolimal posted:

I actually didnt know CA left on bad terms with obsidian (or even that he left at all), sad to hear that. Cursory googling makes it seem like his biggest problem was the aims of the upper management, which aim to be bought out rather than maintain independence.

Yeah honestly everyone should check this hilarious interview Chris Avellone did with a Fallout fansite once.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Avellone was responsible for the greiving mother right? Cause that was some of the worst most overwrought writing I've ever seen.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Gaius Marius posted:

Fallout 2 has a bizzare quality curve where the first few hours and the last few hours suck. And the middle of the game is alright. Everything after San Francisco was a mistake.

Honestly, the pop-culture references bother me a lot less than every Asian character in San Francisco talking about round-eyes and honourable combat. Now that's lazy writing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

shovelbum posted:

We're never going to get good games while we believe only one man on Earth can write good games

There's plenty of good to be said about having a project focus on a single vision (and in fact is why films have directors, and why a lot of games even into the PS2 era were super incoherent). That said, seeing how I didnt even know he had left I think Obsidian will be just fine; irregardless of upper management, their workplace seems to have a clear focus on promoting good writing, that has resulted in plenty of good young talent to flow in.

On FO2: It's obvious that Reno and Sanfran get the most writing attention, but I still think most of the game is good and worth checking out, even if the Enclave has a crazy tonal shift towards outright parodies. It is funny seeing in FO3 and New Vegas the Enclave being thought of as well-intentioned lost causers full of nobility, and then you remember that they were headed by George W. Bush.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Avellone was responsible for the greiving mother right? Cause that was some of the worst most overwrought writing I've ever seen.

Yup

He also did Durance which was one of the best and most interesting companions, so two sides of a coin it seems to be

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He also wrote old world blues and lonesome road and look at the divide (heh) in opinions on those expansions' writing quality.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Considering OWB is a giant sendup to Venture Bros and a few other pieces, and he feels FO2 has better story than New Vegas, I think avellone just really got disappointed that Obsidian didnt get to make the south park game sequel.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Avellone is at his best when he is writing humorous or anarchic instances. His attempts at drama tend to fall flat, with the exception of Kreia in Kotor 2.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

There's plenty of good to be said about having a project focus on a single vision (and in fact is why films have directors, and why a lot of games even into the PS2 era were super incoherent). That said, seeing how I didnt even know he had left I think Obsidian will be just fine; irregardless of upper management, their workplace seems to have a clear focus on promoting good writing, that has resulted in plenty of good young talent to flow in.

On FO2: It's obvious that Reno and Sanfran get the most writing attention, but I still think most of the game is good and worth checking out, even if the Enclave has a crazy tonal shift towards outright parodies. It is funny seeing in FO3 and New Vegas the Enclave being thought of as well-intentioned lost causers full of nobility, and then you remember that they were headed by George W. Bush.

What? Fallout 2 came out before the second Bush administration.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

What? Fallout 2 came out before the second Bush administration.

The enclave president is the son of a former president of the same name, and his VP is named daniel bird. It was a drat good guess, is my takeaway.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

This is a thing of a beauty. That means you, dear goon, are a thing of beauty

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

tentacles posted:

This is a thing of a beauty. That means you, dear goon, are a thing of beauty

Can't take credit I just found it. My artwork lags way behind to make something like that.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There's an interesting audio interview with Todd Howard at this link where he talks a little bit about development at Bethesda and their plans for the future.

One of the fascinating things to me (and it's not the first time Howard expressed this sentiment) is that Bethesda fundamentally thinks that Fallout is an "anything goes" franchise where almost every idea can be crammed in, while they have tighter editorial control on The Elder Scrolls.

I don't froth at my mouth hating Todd Howard, he seems like a decent and talented dude who deserves accolades, but man, I can't disagree more with that philosophy. And I can't help but feel like it's very, very strange when you consider that the mission statement for Fallout 3 was to go back to the tone of Fallout 1.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

that's probably the issue with most of CA's writing. Kreia is also guilty of this, but it happened to work out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Halser posted:

that's probably the issue with most of CA's writing. Kreia is also guilty of this, but it happened to work out.

Kreia works because you are given multiple chances to disagree with her and call her out for her ideals. You're not supposed to take her word as gospel, even in the game she doesn't want you to parrot her. Understanding the consequences of your actions and recognizing the pitfalls of dogmatic ideologies is half her goal in the plot.

It's when you're given no choice but to listen to avellone lecture you nonstop that things fall apart.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 20, 2018

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You're not meant to take most Avellone characters' words as gospel, because he normally writes pathetic people and/or antagonists

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

There's an interesting audio interview with Todd Howard at this link where he talks a little bit about development at Bethesda and their plans for the future.

One of the fascinating things to me (and it's not the first time Howard expressed this sentiment) is that Bethesda fundamentally thinks that Fallout is an "anything goes" franchise where almost every idea can be crammed in, while they have tighter editorial control on The Elder Scrolls.

I don't froth at my mouth hating Todd Howard, he seems like a decent and talented dude who deserves accolades, but man, I can't disagree more with that philosophy. And I can't help but feel like it's very, very strange when you consider that the mission statement for Fallout 3 was to go back to the tone of Fallout 1.

They probably got inspired by Fallout 2 :grin:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I don't get the logic behind the FO1 limited time.

Like he's an open-ish world RPG where you can do a ton of stuff but better not linger and enjoy it or game over.

I didn't even know about the timer until it ran out. I assumed it was one of those metaphysical timers like "You have to save the princess right now!"

How did that timer pass all levels of development? How did it pass final play testing?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I dunno how someone could play fallout 2 with it's racist Chinaman stereotypes, star trek time portal, Dr Who Robot Dog, and Dan Quayle jokes and think anything goes in the setting

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Katt posted:

Like he's an open-ish world RPG where you can do a ton of stuff but better not linger and enjoy it or game over.

I didn't even know about the timer until it ran out. I assumed it was one of those metaphysical timers like "You have to save the princess right now!"

How did that timer pass all levels of development? How did it pass final play testing?

The initial timer of 100 days? Because the second time limit got patched out later.

Also, i'm pretty sure the game put a sticky note on you pipboy whenever you opened it that told you how many days you had left.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It's been... I don't know now, a long rear end time, since I last ran through FO1 but the second time limit wasn't so much a game over as it was something that locked you into the bad endings regardless of what you did. If you didn't beat the Master by a certain date every location just got run over but the Master's Army and destroyed.

Kinda sucked the fun and sense of accomplishment out of the game. Also didn't make going back and replaying it very appealing since you knew you just had to race through everything with no backtracking.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 20, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Keeshhound posted:

The initial timer of 100 days? Because the second time limit got patched out later.

Also, i'm pretty sure the game put a sticky note on you pipboy whenever you opened it that told you how many days you had left.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's been... I don't know now, a long rear end time, since I last ran through FO1 but the second time limit wasn't so much a game over as it was something that locked you into the bad endings regardless of what you did. If you didn't beat the Master by a certain date every location just got run over but the Master's Army and destroyed.

Kinda sucked the fun and sense of accomplishment out of the game. Also didn't make going back and replaying it very appealing since you knew you just had to race through everything with no backtracking.

There was the water time and then there was the "supermutants invade and kill the vault" timer for me.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Katt posted:

I know, inbreeding mutant ridin' ostriches while a giant meteor menaces the planet is where it's at! Then you can get that one overkill attack nobody ever shuts up about in between guesstimating exactly what the scouter reported before Vegeta smooshed it.

Some post-game adventuring like in Fallout 2 would be okay, but a time limit makes your choices actually meaningful.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

It would be cool if a newer fallout game had the thing where the game is divided into a bunch of smaller maps set around important locations, like F1 and 2 did. A dozen or so locations about the size of Point Lookout or something easy to manage with a bunch of cool stuff in them to explore and do quests in would be cool.

Then again I would also enjoy having long empty roads between them where you can take a car across the barren wasteland and hope the raiders don't try to ambush you. Or suffer a breakdown and have to either walk or switch on a radio beacon and hope that raiders aren't the first ones to respond to it. It wouldn't be too hard to have all the content heavy areas be isolated in their own bubbles and then just have the big empty dangerous roads. You could just put in a fast travel mechanic for when you don't want to do the driving, or pay an armored bus service to get you there.

I also REALLY want to drive a truck through a bunch of Cazadores before crashing into a ditch and having to walk back to some place.

Basically I want Mad Max in the streets and Fallout in the sheets.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I know, inbreeding mutant ridin' ostriches while a giant meteor menaces the planet is where it's at! Then you can get that one overkill attack nobody ever shuts up about in between guesstimating exactly what the scouter reported before Vegeta smooshed it.

Some post-game adventuring like in Fallout 2 would be okay, but a time limit makes your choices actually meaningful.

Settle down beavis

The timer isn't a bad idea in of itself, but it doesn't really make your choices meaningful when you can still get Best End for everything in the time allotted.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

YEEEEES.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

Settle down beavis

The timer isn't a bad idea in of itself, but it doesn't really make your choices meaningful when you can still get Best End for everything in the time allotted.

Sure you can, if you use a guide or play the game ritualistically until you get The Perfect Speed Run or whatever. That other dude was complaining about the timer interfering with their meanderthon.

Also lol, nice.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Katt posted:

They went back and forth on it a lot during development iirc

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

frajaq posted:

Yeah honestly everyone should check this hilarious interview Chris Avellone did with a Fallout fansite once.

quote:

SB: The older Fallout games, especially 2, seemed much more willing to explore darker subject matter such as rape, child killing, sex etc than Bethesda’s games do. Was there any line that you guys didn’t want to cross, and why do you think Bethesda shies away somewhat from this kind of content?

CA: Even if I knew, I couldn’t speak to Black Isle's and Bethesda's decisions. I really doubt there was much creative restrictions on F2 because no one was really at the wheel checking the content or managing the production. It doesn't matter, though, as most treatments I've seen of those subjects is for shock value, so I'm not sure anything narratively significant has been lost if they are reined in or passed over.

...er, did CA play New Vegas, the game in which one of the factions literally has institutionalized mass rape as a policy? Did the interviewers? Fallout hasn't gotten less dark and hosed up over time, if anything it's gotten darker outside of Bethesda's mainline stuff. Like, Fallout 2 is a really loving funny game in spite of the hosed-up poo poo in it, whereas New Vegas is kind of just grim unless you pop Wild Wasteland on.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I like a lot of Avellone's writing, but I don't know if he should really be throwing the "needs to be reigned in by a proper editor" accusation around so freely.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 20, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Neurolimal posted:

Settle down beavis

What are the chances for a first time player though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember a kotaku article equating the Mojave in Vegas to Afghanistan.