Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
No Asian, Pacific islander, Native American or Berber Women either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jessica jones is pretty goth

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Damnit I was gonna quote your super saiyan mess up but you fixed it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Teek posted:

Yeah, it's never explicitly explained, but it's not a stretch to imagine all the scientists attended a experimental healing techniques conference in the 1980s or something and were thus aware of/tied to each other in some way.

I guess they could eventually reveal a mysterious overseer for all three projects (Cage, IGH and Kilgrave), but I think it can still work as is.

An AIM project?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I sort of liked Trish this season.
Obviously, she was a terrible human being. But you can certainly understand, where her personality comes from. She's an addict, who grew up with a mother who literally made her sleep with a producer. Her sister has these amazing powers, Trish always dreamed of. But
Jessica just kinda squanders them away in a tub of booze.

She is basically being lead by two primal instincts.
First, she seeks adrenaline and excitement. That's basically a result of her addictive personality.
And second, she wants to be powerful. That's really no surprise considering her upbringing and the danger, her first instinct brings her into.

What I'm saying is that I am kinda looking forward to her wearing a bright yellow spandex suit and cat ears and having some fun jumping around on rooftops. She wont be truly happy, but who ever is?

But the show is probably to gritty and serious to do something fun and silly like that. What will happen is that Trish will just sort of run around as a vigilante, getting ever more power hungry and aggressive until she kills more people and Jessica is eventually forced to take her out. Then she will be all sad again, that everyone in her sphere of influence gets corrupted, while downing a lake of booze.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 18, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I actually like Malcolm but I'm mad at him for signing on with Pryce, mostly because I thought that character was really lame and bad. Plus of course he makes some spectacularly stupid decisions which is forgiveable, but it actively fucks over Jessica and I dislike that given the way season 1 wrapped up so nicely between the two.

It'll probably go somewhere interesting in season 3 at least, even if it means there is going to be more Pryce.

I really liked Malcolm too, and I loved his story arc with realistic addiction recovery handling and all, and him getting his act together and doing detective work AT LEAST AS WELL as Jessica. OTOH, Jessica used him to no end, shat upon him regularly, and lied and withheld information as it suited her. We are not even going to discuss his paycheck.

I liked the fact he signed up with Pryce since it was a sign he was ready to grow up a bit, try and lead a responsible life and stop being Jessica's emotional punching bag and personal serf.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Misty has good tits. and so does agent madani. I'm in it for the tits.

Madani is downright gorgeous all the way around as far as I am concerned.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Heathen posted:

And there are no black women in this show about feminism.

Yes, there is. She exists to push back against Jessica's freewheeling approach to justice and then die without anyone ever taking into consideration why she might be, you know, completely right not to trust the drunken catastrophe of a protagonist. So it's worse than there being no black women in this show about feminism.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yes, there is. She exists to push back against Jessica's freewheeling approach to justice and then die without anyone ever taking into consideration why she might be, you know, completely right not to trust the drunken catastrophe of a protagonist. So it's worse than there being no black women in this show about feminism.

But she's was NYPD, so her human card was revoked.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rocksicles posted:

But she's was NYPD, so her human card was revoked.

Good point. Maybe all the black women escaped to Luke Cage so they could have a little agency.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Has anyone pointed out how the plot about Luke Cage had the NYPD being given highly advanced superhuman killing bullets?

And then in Jessica Jones Season 2 when a rampaging (white) super villain shows up, they are only using normal bullets?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The best cop in any TV show ever was Taraji Henson in Person of Interest. By comparison, Misty exists only to roll into a club she’s investigating, sleep with the giant bartender there, then have her investigation get rolled and stomped on over and over again, mostly by being kinda bad at her job.

I haven’t watched either season of JJ but Madani was actually an extremely competent police woman who was also a woman of color, and she makes Misty look like a green rookie

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

The Question IRL posted:

Has anyone pointed out how the plot about Luke Cage had the NYPD being given highly advanced superhuman killing bullets?

And then in Jessica Jones Season 2 when a rampaging (white) super villain shows up, they are only using normal bullets?

They only used Judas bullets because Luke Cage has unbreakale skin and is immune to normal bullets. Most of the other MCU characters are not, so I guess it would be a waste of tax payer money. Didn't they mention that Judas bullets were made by Justin Hammer's company and ended up on the black market before Diamondback got them, iirc? Hammer has been locked up for a few years, so maybe they only have a finite amount and no-one is making new ones.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To be fair, the police responding to a bulletproof black guy by breaking out super-science bullets was probably the most believable element of that show.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OldMemes posted:

They only used Judas bullets because Luke Cage has unbreakale skin and is immune to normal bullets. Most of the other MCU characters are not, so I guess it would be a waste of tax payer money. Didn't they mention that Judas bullets were made by Justin Hammer's company and ended up on the black market before Diamondback got them, iirc? Hammer has been locked up for a few years, so maybe they only have a finite amount and no-one is making new ones.

From my memory part of the plot was Diamondback was selling the design and supply of Judas bullets to the NYPD so they could kill Cage, but also to deal with other threats.
And Luke was making the point that not only would his rear end get shot by these super bullets, but they would end up going from a "weapon of last resort." To "This kid looked at me funny. So I deployed anti superhuman rounds."

A commentary on how militarizing the police force always results in innocent people being killed

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bust Rodd posted:

I haven’t watched either season of JJ but Madani was actually an extremely competent police woman who was also a woman of color, and she makes Misty look like a green rookie

Madani was wildly incompetent and got her partner killed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but she was using real policework for huge swaths of the plot and her partner was kind of a dingus

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

tetrapyloctomy posted:

There was another character who didn't trust the drug addict catastrophe of a deuteragonist Malcolm. When he goes back to his old college he runs into his ex-girlfriend Nichelle who immediately and politely tells him to have a nice life. She doesn't take any of his bullshit and makes him own up to his own actions. Why did she act that way? Because she saw Malcolm for who he really was. And if you think that she was being too harsh on him - I mean, dude can't make a mistake? - she was ultimately proven right because he stole her student ID card. What was her big character flaw? Nothing? She had him pegged from the jump. I mean she did hug the guy so I guess she has good instincts, but too forgiving?

You have a young black woman who's book smart enough to graduate with her Masters and is street smart enough to distance herself from sketchy people that might try and drag her down, but there was no white woman in the scene to validate her so she doesn't exist either. And who wants to talk about her when we've got such important, scene stealing characters like Black Prostitute and Tinder Date #3.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

While I understand the criticism, I can't hold it against the show too much. The core female cast is already established, Jessica's mum obviously isn't black and Dr Malus & Oscar are men. The only other character they could have cast as black is the homeless nurse and I doubt that would have been a particularly positive portrayal. Sure they could have written the plot differently or included a different character somewhere but I'm not going to blame them for failing to rewrite the whole show.

Heathen posted:

There was another character who didn't trust the drug addict catastrophe of a deuteragonist Malcolm. When he goes back to his old college he runs into his ex-girlfriend Nichelle who immediately and politely tells him to have a nice life. She doesn't take any of his bullshit and makes him own up to his own actions. Why did she act that way? Because she saw Malcolm for who he really was. And if you think that she was being too harsh on him - I mean, dude can't make a mistake? - she was ultimately proven right because he stole her student ID card. What was her big character flaw? Nothing? She had him pegged from the jump. I mean she did hug the guy so I guess she has good instincts, but too forgiving?

You have a young black woman who's book smart enough to graduate with her Masters and is street smart enough to distance herself from sketchy people that might try and drag her down, but there was no white woman in the scene to validate her so she doesn't exist either. And who wants to talk about her when we've got such important, scene stealing characters like Black Prostitute and Tinder Date #3.

Whats there to talk about? Sounds like she's got her poo poo on lockdown.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I forgot: why is there a hole in Jessica's wall that Malcom is fixing, again? Couldn't he fix it better than that? There's still a hole there.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Iirc that's where somebody was thrown through the wall last season when Nuke, Jessica and Trish had a fight in the apartment

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I forgot: why is there a hole in Jessica's wall that Malcom is fixing, again? Couldn't he fix it better than that? There's still a hole there.

The first part's been answered, but in terms of the latter; he's not repairing the wall back to being a wall, he's turning it into an open plan design.

(It's a metaphor, probably. Jessica's house isn't having it's door constantly caved in, but the internal stuff still needs work and she's not doing it.)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

The best cop in any TV show ever was Taraji Henson in Person of Interest. By comparison, Misty exists only to roll into a club she’s investigating, sleep with the giant bartender there, then have her investigation get rolled and stomped on over and over again, mostly by being kinda bad at her job.

Isn't she Iranian?

I think i hefty portion of Persians consider themselves to be white. It's the Aryan blood.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I liked when Madani did a chicken car race with The Punisher

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

Isn't she Iranian?

I think i hefty portion of Persians consider themselves to be white. It's the Aryan blood.

Yeah but she’s not white by post-9/11 NYC standards at all.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

I means shes part Kenyan/Indian/Jewish/Polish

But... the person i live with say old timey pre hosed up Iran, persians be white.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Nephthys posted:

While I understand the criticism, I can't hold it against the show too much. The core female cast is already established, Jessica's mum obviously isn't black and Dr Malus & Oscar are men. The only other character they could have cast as black is the homeless nurse and I doubt that would have been a particularly positive portrayal. Sure they could have written the plot differently or included a different character somewhere but I'm not going to blame them for failing to rewrite the whole show.

It's not rewriting, it's the original writing and drafts in the first place. They could add characters, they could bring in characters from other series (and write decent explainations for them being there). You're starting from the wrong point.

That said, re: rewriting.. I mean, almost no one seems happy with the inclusion of Jessica's mom so it's not like starting over with a more compelling big bad is the wrong place to start. Or, multiple people said Hogarths arc could or should've been omitted, they could have rewritten it in a interesting way or maybe just benched her until they had an arc worthy of Moss and introduced another character.

and really we should all blame them for not having better rewrites overall because it was a really mediocre season in the first place.

Also I don't know why this is such a sticking point for people. If Netflix marvel is putting out press releases about having all female directors and the shows feminism (again this is the production and marketing department working in tandem) you are opening your product to be critiqued from that viewpoint.

Me saying that "yeah it's good but here's the next step to keep going forward and not stagnating: intersectionality" is not particularly damning but weirdly enough the reaction to these statements really is..

Particularly when people say "Representation is not important" or "be happy with what you get" which is what folks have been telling black people in this country since we got put here.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 19, 2018

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It seems the overall problem with s2 is that it wasn't well considered or well written and this has permeated the entire show. Good directors and good scriptwriters are hard to come by but jesus they make or break a show, and the resulting mess that occurs when you hire people who can't hack it sits before us. Talking up how diverse and feminist your show is will invite criticism when it misses at least one of those marks :\

Expecting better plots and lines and roles for black people in a modern tv show that's supposed to be about these things isn't unreasonable but incompetence and stupidity bring all of this down and generally turn the left overs into a mediocre mess.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

How white you are depends on a lot of other factors besides skin color, and always has.

Mostly what the other person thinks.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Koalas March posted:

It's not rewriting, it's the original writing and drafts in the first place. They could add characters, they could bring in characters from other series (and write decent explainations for them being there). You're starting from the wrong point.

That said, re: rewriting.. I mean, almost no one seems happy with the inclusion of Jessica's mom so it's not like starting over with a more compelling big bad is the wrong place to start. Or, multiple people said Hogarths arc could or should've been omitted, they could have rewritten it in a interesting way or maybe just benched her until they had an arc worthy of Moss and introduced another character.

and really we should all blame them for not having better rewrites overall because it was a really mediocre season in the first place.

Also I don't know why this is such a sticking point for people. If Netflix marvel is putting out press releases about having all female directors and the shows feminism (again this is the production and marketing department working in tandem) you are opening your product to be critiqued from that viewpoint.

Me saying that "yeah it's good but here's the next step to keep going forward and not stagnating: intersectionality" is not particularly damning but weirdly enough the reaction to these statements really is..

Particularly when people say "Representation is not important" or "be happy with what you get" which is what folks have been telling black people in this country since we got put here.

The plot being focused around IGH was already set up in season 1, so it'd have to be moving in that direction anyway. And for myself, I thought the mum plot was some of the strongest stuff this season, same with Hogarth's arc even though it is largely disconnected from the rest of the plot. Sure, they could have gone a different route. Maybe instead of the mum its just some other woman who's the killer. But most likely that'd just weaken the story imo. I also don't think bring Misty in would work due to what happened in Defenders. Its entirely possible that a completely different season would have been better than what we got, or it could have been worse. All I know is that I can't think of a way they could have included a major woc perspective into the show and pulled it off with what they had.

I don't know about people but I already said its a valid criticism. I just personally don't think it's fair to come down so hard on the show for not changing the entire season just to include this aspect. I hadn't actually read your comments before making my own, I was more responding to Heathen. Sorry if you felt I was criticizing you.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I really loved the latest season of JJ.

Specifically, that there was no "Big Bad" cackling villain like every other Marvel season. The fact that the central conflict was the main characters' battling feelings for each other and their neuroses getting in the way was very compelling and refreshing from the extremely lame villains we ended up getting in Defenders/Luke Cage.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Sorry Nephthys, when I was talking about statements and responses, I didn't mean yours in particular. I apologise for not communicating more clearly! :)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
At the end of the day koalas is right. WoC weren’t represented well. It is interesting to me that koalas didn’t like Sunday. I think every time there is a short haired black woman cop that isn’t waifey she gets overlooked as a stereotype or seen as a bitch when the intention was the character was supposed to be tough. If a man had Sunday’s exact same dialogue he’d have been hailed a hero and people would have written boba fett fan fiction about him.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

LinYutang posted:

I really loved the latest season of JJ.

Specifically, that there was no "Big Bad" cackling villain like every other Marvel season. The fact that the central conflict was the main characters' battling feelings for each other and their neuroses getting in the way was very compelling and refreshing from the extremely lame villains we ended up getting in Defenders/Luke Cage.

This sounds like complete dogshit, holy moly

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

At the end of the day koalas is right. WoC weren’t represented well. It is interesting to me that koalas didn’t like Sunday. I think every time there is a short haired black woman cop that isn’t waifey she gets overlooked as a stereotype or seen as a bitch when the intention was the character was supposed to be tough. If a man had Sunday’s exact same dialogue he’d have been hailed a hero and people would have written boba fett fan fiction about him.

Stereotypes for black women and white women are nearly reversed. Black women very rarely get to be soft, gentle or sensual without hypersexuality. We are rarely damsels. Black women are often portrayed as "strong independent women who don't need no man". We are seen as aggressive, hypersexual, or the Mammy trope.

I hope it's not pretentious as hell to quote myself but, I actually wrote an article touching upon this for Black Enterprise magazine:

quote:

Characters who are black women often fall into many negative stereotypes. They are often written as fat, sassy, aggressive, angry, self-indulgent, hypersexual, and gold digging single mothers. Rarely are they portrayed as vulnerable, desirable, loving, carefree, silly, elegant, soft or genteel.

Black women characters are often forced into the “Mammy" caricature: a workhorse forced to care for white characters, carry their burdens, and assist in cleaning up their messes. Characters who fall into the “Mammy" trope often martyr themselves for the sake of white characters.

And there are plenty of black women who have left other fandoms, looking for the right show. The one that will take it’s black leading lady seriously. The one that will treat her character with respect. The character that’s truly human, not a stereotype or caricature. The writers who understand that not only is representation important, but that what you do with that representation that matters.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Do we know what Cheng's middle name is? There's a terrible joke to be made there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Finished JJ season 2 today. I don't think I've ever seen a drop off in quality in a show like this. Holy crap.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Finished JJ season 2 today. I don't think I've ever seen a drop off in quality in a show like this. Holy crap.

I'm worried about Luke Cage S2. I liked the first season a lot, even though it got really hokey the last several episodes. I like the character and his actor so much that I can overlook a lot, and I hope S2 is good. Iron Fist, Defenders, and JJS2 do not fill me with hope although I thought Punisher was overall excellent.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I was pretty much enjoying this season of Jj,the lawyers storyline was the most interesting to me,i didn't give a gently caress about forgery man or shirtless black man or trish,and that big twist at the end was just....weird....

The scenes with Jj and her mum were pretty good as well,i didn't expect any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I was pretty much enjoying this season of Jj,the lawyers storyline was the most interesting to me,i didn't give a gently caress about forgery man or shirtless black man or trish,and that big twist at the end was just....weird....

The scenes with Jj and her mum were pretty good as well,i didn't expect any of that.

By "the big twist at the end," did you mean a) Trish killing Alisa or b) Trish apparently gaining Pele-like superpowers of some type? The former I didn't really consider a twist, since Trish was gunning to be a vigilante hero from the onset in order to feel relevant. The latter I found sort of annoying, though predictable, since I feel like it ensures she's never going to actually get to confront her feels of inadequacy.

I also really liked Hogarth's arc and thought Carrie-Anne Moss pretty much killed it. She came across as vulnerable when needed, and ice cold when appropriate.

Regarding forgery-man, I liked that the resolution didn't come from Jessica digging up dirt on the ex, but instead preventing her from fleeing with him. She wasn't angry that she was caught, she was upset at the realization that she could lose him because of what she did. Her actions seemed like they came from a place of concern for her child, not out of some desire simply to punish her ex.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 20, 2018