Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
sidonia was the original shape of water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
School Live has been chugging along, and I'm still not quite sure where it's going to wind up.

That said, the recent chapters, even with the introduction of a cutesy AI buddy with convenient long-distance polygraph abilities, continues to keep the bleakness at full pace and equilibrium with the cheerful facade.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Newest chapter of AMB http://fanfox.net/manga/mahou_tsukai_no_yome/v08/c044/1.html

drat, Chise.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Chapter 42 of Dungeon Meshi: https://mangadex.org/chapter/169474/1

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
don't use mangafox and its subsidiaries. i clicked this since i didn't know what series it was and it said it was licensed in your country and then accidentally clicked an ad image in my haste. luckily i use several layers of browser security but in the long past i once got a virus from MF

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Relin posted:

don't use mangafox and its subsidiaries. i clicked this since i didn't know what series it was and it said it was licensed in your country and then accidentally clicked an ad image in my haste. luckily i use several layers of browser security but in the long past i once got a virus from MF

Yeah, it's basic manga hygiene.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Ryoko Kui is really amazingly good at drawing facial features. And it is based on such a fundamentally simple artstyle, making every slight expression or faint sign of exhaustion unmistakably conveyable without having to exaggerate anything. That's quite a rare quality in manga, at least as far as my experience goes.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i really want to like moyashimon. i've gotten like 60 chapters through it with the translation done (having stopped at like 12 originally) but it's not making it easy for me to continue. The main problem is how the actual plot comes to a screeching halt so often. the chapters featuring only microbes, speaking at length about history or facts (with no humans) and the frequent asides about science by the professor or students make it really boring and unpleasant to read. I read books and I like manga mixed with factoids, but this is just too much of an infodump all. the. time. the main character's power is also underutilized, which seems to be kind of the point, but it would have made the story more interesting.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
to add to the manga fox hate, they just suffered a massive data leak with weakly hashed passwords. if you had an account there, check yourself

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

Mikl posted:

I'm so INCREDIBLY PISSED OFF I'm not even going to spoiler this.

The wife (finally) gives birth. The husband goes to visit her in the hospital, and her former boyfriend is there, and the husband gets jealous. He brushes it off, and then goes home for the night. While he's walking home this happens:

And yes, in the next chapter she comes over, and they have sex. And he does it because he's mad at his wife for still being friends with her ex, since every time he sees them together he gets jealous, and "what if they breaking up and her marrying me is just them taking pity on me since I'm such a loser and I would never have gotten laid on my own".

This loving guy cheats on his wife, who's in the hospital with their newborn daughter, because he thinks she might be looking down on him. Despite there never being any indication that this is true.

:murder:

Spotted Flower is an absolute trainwreck and I just can't look away. English translation of the chapter with the not-Madarame and not-Hato sex scene is out. There's a twist that makes it worth reading. Maybe. I don't know.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/175079/1

Did Spotted Flower start around the same time as Genshiken: Second Season? Is it meant as an alternate ending? Does Kio Shimoku hate the characters they created? I just don't understand.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

Spotted Flower is an absolute trainwreck and I just can't look away. English translation of the chapter with the not-Madarame and not-Hato sex scene is out. There's a twist that makes it worth reading. Maybe. I don't know.

Did Spotted Flower start around the same time as Genshiken: Second Season? Is it meant as an alternate ending? Does Kio Shimoku hate the characters they created? I just don't understand.

It's meant as trash that shouldn't be read. Goddammit why did I come back.

A big pile of trash with a nice, extra serving of transphobia just to clinically remove every trace of everything I liked about the series. gently caress.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I mean it's obvious that the dude has huge issues leading to incredibly self-destructive impulses. I just don't care about the dude compared to the people he warps around him. Kind of reminds me of The Office (the UK one, not the US one). Just a really deep dive into a very pathetic man.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know how much of this was a time/place thing (since I read it while I was in college) but the original 9 volume run of Genshiken is such a great, self-contained story. It didn't need a sequel or follow up of any sort. But at this point any perceived fond feelings I have for it have been washed away with everything that has followed. It's too bad.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I kind of started skimming and then gave up when the lives of everyone started to bend around Madarame who until that moment seemed like a secondary protagonist and template for "over-invested anime fan" rather than the primary protagonist or romantic idol (somehow?!!?!?).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This just showed up with two chapters and looks promising, a series called Candy and Cigarettes. A retired 65-year-old Security Policeman finds an ad for a job that pays a million yen a month, which he needs in order to pay the medical costs for his grandson, signs up and winds up as a "cleaner" for a 5th-grader government assassin. Gives me vibes of Gunsmith Cats, though without the absurd sexualization of the May-type character. Hopefully. Christ, hopefully.

I'm wagering it'll eventually wind up with him sorta rehabilitating the girl into a normal life since she's obviously got ~problems~, seems like that with the "unlikely contrasting partners" MO it seems to be going with.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

This just showed up with two chapters and looks promising, a series called Candy and Cigarettes. A retired 65-year-old Security Policeman finds an ad for a job that pays a million yen a month, which he needs in order to pay the medical costs for his grandson, signs up and winds up as a "cleaner" for a 5th-grader government assassin. Gives me vibes of Gunsmith Cats, though without the absurd sexualization of the May-type character. Hopefully. Christ, hopefully.

I'm wagering it'll eventually wind up with him sorta rehabilitating the girl into a normal life since she's obviously got ~problems~, seems like that with the "unlikely contrasting partners" MO it seems to be going with.

that manga is pretty lame. the action scenes are boring, and the characters are even more boring. also in some of the later chapters the girl gets captured by the bad guys and all chained up.

anyways read The Violence Action. its a better assassin story, and the main character isnt a 5 year old girl.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's a shame. The first two chapters seemed like a good start, but if it doesn't get better past that, then that'll be a pass.

I'll put that other one on the list.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

that manga is pretty lame. the action scenes are boring, and the characters are even more boring. also in some of the later chapters the girl gets captured by the bad guys and all chained up.

anyways read The Violence Action. its a better assassin story, and the main character isnt a 5 year old girl.

agreed

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Violence Action manga reminds me in some ways of Franken Fran.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

On the topic of young assassins, what ever happened with Deathco? That was really cool because the Soil author's art is awesome. Is it still being written and translated?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It ended at 9 volumes and nobody has translated it in a year.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

It ended at 9 volumes and nobody has translated it in a year.

Do you know if the ending was a "normal" one or a premature cancellation type ending? Because knowing when the latter has occurred always dampers my enthusiasm for reading a series. 9 volumes is reasonably long so hopefully it got a decent ending.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Here's the news item that announced the end of Deathco. Comic Beam is a monthly magazine, so a four-year run with 7 volumes (not 9) seems like it wasn't canned, though I can't attest to the quality of the ending.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Finally an alpaca manga http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Doko-ka-Tooku-no-Hanashi-wo-shiyou

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Man that travel bag is kind of a dick.

coathat
May 21, 2007

He keeps it real.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

Laughed My rear end Off when he said "...I guess this is still cheating"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DisDisDis posted:

Laughed My rear end Off when he said "...I guess this is still cheating"

Same here. I don't follow this manga, but what I've read (from it being linked in the past) makes it look hilariously bad and trashy. And not trashy in a typical "anime" way, but more in the sense of being the sort of story where you just hate every single character. Sorta like a Japanese "Megg, Mogg, and Owl" except without the actual purpose and good humor that comic has.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

"Megg, Mogg, and Owl"

HOLY gently caress I JUST GOOGLED THIS AND THANK YOU FOR FINALLY TELLING ME WHAT THE gently caress THIS IS CALLED

I'VE BEEN SEEING PANELS FROM THIS loving COMIC EVERYWHERE FOR GODDAMN YEARS NOW AND THEY'VE ALWAYS BEEN SHARED BY PEOPLE WHO HAD NO IDEA WHAT IT WAS FROM

e: for anyone else in my position, Megg, Mogg and Owl is the comic that the wolf guy going "it's gonna get weird, I'm gonna make it weird" is from. also the depressed witch girl doing drugs.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Megg Mogg and Owl might be my favorite seinen series, it's really good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Spotted Flower spent most of its (extremely long, it first appeared before Genshiken 2) run as this kind of cute, mostly harmless thing, so it was pretty funny when it first suddenly decided to have drama and then suddenly decided to go all in on "let's just make them AWFUL."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There is also a doujin of it
It's called megasex.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've finished ReLife and now I want to cry.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There is also a doujin of it
It's called megasex.

Shoujo cat is extremely strong

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

tweet my meat posted:

Megg Mogg and Owl might be my favorite seinen series, it's really good.
I wouldn't inflict that series on anyone except people totally mentally healthy though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rodyle posted:

Spotted Flower spent most of its (extremely long, it first appeared before Genshiken 2) run as this kind of cute, mostly harmless thing, so it was pretty funny when it first suddenly decided to have drama and then suddenly decided to go all in on "let's just make them AWFUL."

To be honest I kinda disagree with this; even early on I got weird "pregnancy fetish" vibes from it.

Pierson posted:

I wouldn't inflict that series on anyone except people totally mentally healthy though.

"Megg, Mogg, and Owl" does probably the best job of anything I've ever read/seen of capturing just how immensely depressing low-income suburban American life can be.

vvvv Yeah I should have just said "suburban Western life." And the "uncomfortably real" thing is what I was getting at; even though my life isn't really like that of the characters in the comic, it's still super unsettling to me.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 22, 2018

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Isn't it set in Australia? Even so it feels really relatable and universal. I'm Scottish and it feels uncomfortably real.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Finally there’s a new Hibiki http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hibiki-Shousetsuka-ni-Naru-Houhou/Vol--004-Ch-029---School-Festival?id=410732

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

I wish MMO had a dedicated site for the comics instead of a million page tumblr you have to comb through. And no, Vice doesn't have anywhere near all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
They're released in multiple books of which I own I think two and they're great. Think they're all published by fantagraphics