Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This is cool as gently caress, there's a whole album of testing:
https://imgur.com/a/HkGqW

https://i.imgur.com/vUFg6Nn.mp4

30mm HE-T hit to a Spitfire Mk IIb wing

https://i.imgur.com/7hiQvJq.mp4

30mm HE hit to the Spitfire fuselage blows it in half, even without the stress than would be on the aircraft in flight

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

F-16s with CFTs and upgraded sensors can't help make me think of Deadpool. It'll kick your rear end, but it's all covered in tumors.

Clearly the Mudhen and related F-15s are the superior option for CFTs. Better-looking and bigger so theu have ALL THE GAS in their actually-conformal tanks.

A Viper with CFTs is obvious at a glance, the Deadpool joke is right on, most Mudhen photos you know by paint color and/or counting heads -- the fighter is light grey with one driver, the bomber is darker and has a WSO. Or if it's shot from just the right angle you can maybe notice the tanks on the sides of the intakes.

Edit: This machine kills Communists:

This one kills anybody you need it to, it's a medium bomber that can also do everything the above can, but for twice as long:

Edit again: also, Top Gun made a whole generation of us fall in love with the F-14. Turns out, the -15 is far superior in every measure but looks (and even then, it's a 9 to the Tomcat's 10.) Somebody else post numbers because I'm too lazy to look 'em up, Bombcat vs. Mudhen.

Bombcat was pretty baller tho, being forced into a role as a stopgap bomber after the USN got rid of the A-6. So yeah the Navy/USMC used to have a good medium bomber, and when they retired it they put bombs on the pure air superiority fighter, and then they retired that and naval aviation is crap. Sure, the Navy version of the F-35 might actually be a good airplane, but it's nowhere near as cool as the F-14.

Edit the third: in my opinion, the Hornet/SuperBug seems a bit crap, given that the closest I've been to serving was Army JROTC and the closest I've been to an F/A-18 was like 20 feet from the big end ... the OG Hornet is a damned good hairdryer, if nothing else.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 18, 2018

Subtuna
Dec 30, 2008
Getting to see a JASDF Lightning II at Luke today was pretty neat :japan:
slightly less unflattering angle

Subtuna fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 18, 2018

MadBurgerMaker
Mar 7, 2007
Lurker
From certain angles the F-35 looks pretty cool.

From others....not so much.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

MadBurgerMaker posted:

From certain angles the F-35 looks pretty cool.

From others....not so much.

This one just looks like a hen that's retracting her head.

MadBurgerMaker
Mar 7, 2007
Lurker

JcDent posted:

This one just looks like a hen that's retracting her head.

Maybe Subtuna's camera scared it a little.

The angles I was thinking of that don't look good at all are directly from the side, directly underneath, and every image of the B that isn't from straight in front. It has that hump..

E: Rafale looks like a fatass from above/below too.

MadBurgerMaker fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 18, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MadBurgerMaker posted:

E: Rafale looks like a fatass from above/below too.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
The 3D feature on Google Maps for Davis Monothan is the best. Its like a early 2000s flight sim that I'd definitely play.

AWACS

BRRRT:

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Why are the 135s/707s missing their tails in the boneyard? Are those used up a lot in service?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

0toShifty posted:

Why are the 135s/707s missing their tails in the boneyard? Are those used up a lot in service?
Two wild guesses:
They're composite and hit a decent number of birds so yes
They contain a RWR or ESM antennas/amplifiers/other electronics and are removed to reclaim those easier.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CarForumPoster posted:

Two wild guesses:
They're composite and hit a decent number of birds so yes
They contain a RWR or ESM antennas/amplifiers/other electronics and are removed to reclaim those easier.

They do contain radio antennas. E-3 and KC-135 have HF crammed up there. I also wouldn't be surprised if they're pulled as spares, too.

That NATO E-3 is the only one retired without being a damage write-off, in the entire world. I'm REALLY surprised the dome is still mounted.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The vstab is a gate guardian at Geilenkirchen. :ms:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Everytime I see nice pictures my internal censor does an :ohdear: about security manager approval. But luckily the Japanese versions are way more open.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

SeaborneClink posted:

The vstab is a gate guardian at Geilenkirchen. :ms:

Well that feels like a waste.

At least they picked the most visually interesting part of the 707/E-3, that spikey tail is bad rear end.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Well that feels like a waste.

At least they picked the most visually interesting part of the 707/E-3, that spikey tail is bad rear end.

the radar dome/frisbee thing would be more interesting. Gut it out and put the shell up.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Cyrano4747 posted:

the radar dome/frisbee thing would be more interesting. Gut it out and put the shell up.

Only if they use the supports to straddle it across the road so you drive under the giant UFO every time you enter/leave the base.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^That would be cool as poo poo.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The black pieces are just an aerodynamic shell. All the hardware is actually in the white center bit.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Well, if you really want fat..

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Dante80 posted:

Well, if you really want fat..

As stupid as it looks... it does look badass.

Imagine if the USAF got rid of the restrictions... e. then again, maybe not.

Crosses. Flags and evangelical christian crosses everywhere

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 18, 2018

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

As stupid as it looks... it does look badass.

Imagine if the USAF got rid of the restrictions... e. then again, maybe not.

Crosses. Flags and evangelical christian crosses everywhere

Is there a lot of that in the USAF? I'd have thought they'd still be leaning towards pinups and the like.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Fearless posted:

Is there a lot of that in the USAF? I'd have thought they'd still be leaning towards pinups and the like.

Not sure about the fighting Air Force, but the Academy is right next to a major center of Evangelicalism, and IIRC got hit by a freedom of religion case after complaints by an atheist student.

E: Yeah, back in '05.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 18, 2018

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I’d imagine if by some chance nose art came back it would be a lot more restrictive than WW2.

Likely no pin ups, and religious iconography on government hardware made to kill seems unlikely.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Alaan posted:

and religious iconography on government hardware made to kill seems unlikely.

lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trijicon_biblical_verses_controversy

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

painted on the tail.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Vote to rename the Golden Knights the Golden Showers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

drat shame there won’t be no Katie perry nose art.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Make a kit plane and be the change you want to see in the world!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

That was done by the manufacturer and it was more a silly pun than an attempt at proselytizing.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

People would lose their mind when a plane with Jesus in a skimpy flight suit bombed a wedding.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Alaan posted:

People would lose their mind when a plane with Jesus in a skimpy flight suit bombed a wedding.

I think modern American evangelism would be perfectly fine with this.

E: as long as the Jesus was blonde.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alaan posted:

But would they be cool with a plane with DEUS VULT on it?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hobbesmaster posted:

They'd probably mandate that every plane had that on it.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

I don't like posting pics from my country's air-force that soon again, but yes, we are that stupid.

(Saint-George the dragon slayer above, Archangel Gabriel below. The third one is a photoshop composite)

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 19, 2018

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dante80 posted:

I don't like posting pics from my country's air-force that soon again, but yes, we are that stupid.

(Saint-George the dragon slayer above, Archangel Gabriel below)

...stupid? gently caress that, that poo poo is awesome.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Well yes, but you gotta agree it's a little stupid too. I mean, my mother was in the HAF herself, and even I think it's cheesy.

I won't go into our ancient Greek god paint-jobs, that is too embarrassing to show.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 19, 2018

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

If they didn't put Hercules on a Hercules I'm going to be incredibly angry.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

What does your heart tell you?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Oh my God he's got a little :dong: too!

:neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

The micropenis is mandatory.