Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i would call the jonestown ending a success in this one particular circumstance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
google looking to up their game in the showdown with facebook over who can destroy western civilization first

https://twitter.com/Ned_Donovan/status/974962428885848065

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

meh. probably less traumatic than finger family.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

lizards are p cute kids will eat that poo poo up

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

crabrock posted:

lizards are p cute kids will eat that poo poo up

that'll probably be their only source of food in the barren wastes of the future

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Ahaha no consequences at all for anyone ever

https://twitter.com/DeFede/status/974838462019964929

https://twitter.com/SatPaper/status/975114374573682692

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

god loving drat it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Last Chance posted:

god loving drat it

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Last Chance posted:

god loving drat it

2017-

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

don't worry i'm sure they're all very sorry you were offended

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
never consequences for the people who deserve them

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Be the change you want to see

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

infernal machines posted:

google looking to up their game in the showdown with facebook over who can destroy western civilization first

https://twitter.com/Ned_Donovan/status/974962428885848065

reminder, Icke turned out to be correct about the pedos at the top of British society

perhaps google algorithm knows something we don’t…

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Last Chance posted:

god loving drat it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

accountability is un-american

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Bloom County was so loving good and way ahead of its time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Be the change you want to see

I am worried that people will simply begin taking matters into their own hands if society and the justice system doesn’t shape up

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
lol your autocorrect changed that to "worried"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TimWinter posted:

lol your autocorrect changed that to "worried"

:ssh:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol i'm deleting my facebook account later tonight after i archive everything

https://twitter.com/chrisinsilico/status/975335430043389952

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
lol of course they ejected a guy from playing in their sandbox when he makes them look bad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rex-Goliath posted:

lol i'm deleting my facebook account later tonight after i archive everything

https://twitter.com/chrisinsilico/status/975335430043389952

what's the story? i'm currently waiting for formal gdpr compliance from facebook before i delete mine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what's the story? i'm currently waiting for formal gdpr compliance from facebook before i delete mine

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the story isn't anything surprising to anyone reading this thread, we all know their entire business model is spying and tracking people and people pay them to influence it's users, it was so not-news that I didn't even post it

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/17/data-war-whistleblower-christopher-wylie-faceook-nix-bannon-trump?CMP=share_btn_tw

also it's not a data breach when the company literally used facebook's API to slurp the data, they just pinky-swore they'd delete it after they did

https://twitter.com/alexhern/status/975054469275799552

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

facebook's reaction to that is what offends me the most, the suspension

talk about fascist

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ngl i dont get anything out of facebook

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yep- it's totally unsurprising. what's particularly upsetting for me is how they're trying to clean their hands of all of it instead of owning it, because actually policing their platform would harm their profits.

the responsible thing to do would have been owning up to it immediately and overreacting in clamping down on the abuse. instead it's been years of hand-wringing and trying to have it both ways.

gently caress facebook.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
the only reason i haven't deleted my facebook is because i have a bunch of relatives on there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i never created a facbook account because i didn't want to "reconnect" with people i lost touch with after school

looks like being a miserable curmudgeon has put me ahead of the game again

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

oh i saw that one, cambridge analytics story

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

the reason i dont delete facebook is because its really the only thing i have to my name that suggests i have a social circle

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

but i bet people wouldnt miss me

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Improbable Lobster posted:

the only reason i haven't deleted my facebook is because i have a bunch of relatives on there

hosed up that Facebook is the only thing keeping them alive

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Improbable Lobster posted:

imo if your friends or relatives are unwilling to communicate with you via the panoply of non-facebook communication media including but not limited to
  • email
  • skype/facetime
  • discord/slack/irc/gchat
  • text messages
  • a phone call
  • a written letter

you probably won't miss them and vice versa

but that's just my hot take

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i have no idea why i have facebookk since anyone i talk to is either on instagram or using one of the messengers

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

practically the only way i can contact most of the people ive befriended over the years is over fb :(

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
if you used facebook to say something to the effect of:

"i no longer want to use facebook because ___, so i am closing my account. i'd like to stay in touch. my email address is ____. could i have yours?"

(modulo whatever other communication tools you prefer)

don't you think most of your actual friends would readily comply?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Internet Janitor posted:

if you used facebook to say something to the effect of:

"i no longer want to use facebook because ___, so i am closing my account. i'd like to stay in touch. my email address is ____. could i have yours?"

(modulo whatever other communication tools you prefer)

don't you think most of your actual friends would readily comply?
looooooool no

all my friends or at least their wives are normies who have facebook installed on their phones and check it multiple times per day. i'm the weird one because i don't

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

infernal machines posted:

looks like being a miserable curmudgeon has put me ahead of the game again
:same: tho i did have one in 2006-9 before i deleted it, being most college students only, just about the time it got insanely stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have not used* my facebook account since, oh, 2012 and i don't miss it one bit. don't have it on my phone and don't remember my password.

all the people i care about talking to have instagram accounts (still fb owned, but at least it's significantly less garbagey from the user standpoint) or just use the phone or send texts.

*intentionally, i know it tracks me everywhere