Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I do find it funny that people found playing as a default character distasteful when Geralt is a transient who wanders around solving problems, fighting monsters and sarcastically commenting on how hosed everything is; if you could change his gender and hair color he would be completely indistinguishable from any Bioware protagonist:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Ainsley McTree posted:

noooo the thread already turned left don't do a u-turn

they're bad dogs, brent

anyway, i ought to do a replay of DA:I someday, and mod it or whatever to make the banter happen more. I feel like I missed a lot still
I always just end up replaying the same character/decisions with these games though even when i intend to do something different

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

AriadneThread posted:

anyway, i ought to do a replay of DA:I someday, and mod it or whatever to make the banter happen more. I feel like I missed a lot still
I always just end up replaying the same character/decisions with these games though even when i intend to do something different

When I restarted recently I noticed a LOT more banter triggers when dicking around in the Hinterlands, and this was on PS4. I think they might've patched it with Trespasser.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Wolfsheim posted:

if you could change his gender and hair color he would be completely indistinguishable from any Bioware protagonist:v:

Um, yes more* or less - what is funny about it? What else would people want a custom character for?

[*] Appearance in general, not just hair colour; and gender-appropriate voice.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

games where i can make a big bearded brown man and constantly regret not romancing dorian when i had the opportunity are the best

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I always get torn because Bull is more physically attractive but Dorian has a cuter romance.

Honestly let me romance Varric actually. Or I'll even take Cullen.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I always get torn because Bull is physically massive

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly let me romance Varric actually. Or I'll even take Cullen.

I legit want the next game to have a Krem romance.

The Internet will explode.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Playing DA:I and I don’t wanna think about what the harder bears trial is like. They’re already boring as hell to chip away at.

That said, after seeing all the shade it gets I’m pleasantly surprised. The Hinterlands look beautiful and seem carefully crafted rather than procedurally generated. The combat is engaging, if not as tactical as Origins’. That Orlesian marketplace is exquisite to stroll through. I could see the quest scatter getting tiresome eventually, but 14 hours in I’m enjoying seeking things out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

Playing DA:I and I don’t wanna think about what the harder bears trial is like. They’re already boring as hell to chip away at.

That said, after seeing all the shade it gets I’m pleasantly surprised. The Hinterlands look beautiful and seem carefully crafted rather than procedurally generated. The combat is engaging, if not as tactical as Origins’. That Orlesian marketplace is exquisite to stroll through. I could see the quest scatter getting tiresome eventually, but 14 hours in I’m enjoying seeking things out.

They key with it is just move on and do the next story quest or go to a new area when you get bored of one. Don't feel compelled to 100% every area although if you want to go for it.

If you do intend to do most areas you'll hit max level pretty quick though. I usually play with the half xp trial because of that.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

snoremac posted:

They just take 5 minutes longer than they should. Even with Even Ground on they're not so bad. The trial affects all bears but the ones for the achievement are only in the Emprise and Emerald Graves.

e: I really like Even Ground and always turn it on, but I doubt I'll ever get the Fairweather Friends or Travel Light achievements (get to Skyhold with everyone; no supply caches during In Hushed Whispers) - unless I do an easy mode game for some reason. I haven't yet done Rub Some Dirt On It (no healing potions during the Hivernal fight) but it seems doable even on Hard. Rest Easy and Walk Softly don't affect things too much and don't give any good rewards so I haven't bothered beyond a test period and getting the Rest Easy achievement (kill Imshael with Rest Easy always on in Emprise du Lion).

I shoulda got Even Ground too (kill a level 16 Fereldan Frostback) but it didn't trigger for some reason :smith:

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 18, 2018

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I completed a playthrough with each class and almost each race (sorry Qunari!), my favorite was easily male dwarf rogue inquisitor who romanced Iron Bull. The scene where everyone walks in on you mid-sexyfun time and Cullen's reaction were worth it for that alone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh wow, the Mage quest really is way better than the Templar one.

Also, man the skill upgrades that the DLC added really make the game more fun. In particular, the upgrade to War Horn that makes everyone gain Guard when doing damage is great as it means you don't have to constantly cast Barrier to keep your Rogue alive.

Also I swear one of the DLCs made the basic armors look better, because I definitely do NOT remember the early-game stuff looking this cool.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

snoremac posted:

DAI has issues but it is a game with a million times more heart than Andromeda

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pattonesque posted:

DAI has issues but it is a game with a million times more heart than Andromeda

Yeah, I'm falling in love with it all over again. Skipping most of the Hinterlands but doing most of the Fallow Mire/Storm Coast makes the early game a lot more fun, and the siege of Haven battle is insanely well designed and epic.

You can tell a whole lot of love and effort went in to atoning for the sin of DA2. It's legitimately a great game!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Maybe there’s more to him but Blackwall seems like the most generic boring party member in the series.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

snoremac posted:

Maybe there’s more to him but Blackwall seems like the most generic boring party member in the series.

He's not. That's Solas (not generic, but definitely boring).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

snoremac posted:

There's a lot more to him, yes.

He also has a lot of good banter with everyone, but especially in my Sera/Blackwall/Cass party (occasionally featuring Dorian now that I have him)

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I love Dorian and I hope he makes a reappearance in Dragon 4ge.

If there was ever a live-action Dragon Age thing, then I'd like Tom Ellis to play Dorian. Just imagine him with Dorian's 'stache. He's a dead ringer.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In all fairness, it'd be really hard for me to even come up with a list of 300 games I know to exist, let alone good ones.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
you can't name an average of 10 good games per year between 1988 and now? that seems... probably really easy to do, especially given that most of those years have 20 good games easy.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

DA:I: Why are party members unable to select potion from the action wheel during fights so often? I’m assuming because they’re in the middle of an action, in which case it stinks that it doesn’t just queue it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

precision posted:

you can't name an average of 10 good games per year between 1988 and now? that seems... probably really easy to do, especially given that most of those years have 20 good games easy.

Probably not, no.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

In all fairness, it'd be really hard for me to even come up with a list of 300 games I know to exist, let alone good ones.

Thankfully, video game companies love sequels, so you can inflate the list of games you know to exist if you remember that games like final fantasy 15 and civilization 6 exist.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

precision posted:

I legit want the next game to have a Krem romance.

I didn't realize how badly I wanted this until you mentioned it. Krem was one of my favorite characters and I wish we got to spend more time with him. Think of the stories he could tell during pillowtalk!

Unrelated note, I finished Jaws of Hakkon and jumped into Descent. Just finished the battle with the emissary alpha and waves of shriekers, ogres, etc. and set up my second camp. I have all these schematics and Bull desperately needs an armor upgrade....but every camp just has a party swapper and potion table. Is there some point where I can craft armor again, or do I have to backtrack all the way back to Skyhold? You'd think traveling with dwarves would make this easy.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

snoremac posted:

DA:I: Why are party members unable to select potion from the action wheel during fights so often? I’m assuming because they’re in the middle of an action, in which case it stinks that it doesn’t just queue it.

Yeah its because they're usually in the middle of something. I usually just stick with them for the extra seconds and then have them use a potion.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Dienes posted:

I didn't realize how badly I wanted this until you mentioned it. Krem was one of my favorite characters and I wish we got to spend more time with him. Think of the stories he could tell during pillowtalk!

Unrelated note, I finished Jaws of Hakkon and jumped into Descent. Just finished the battle with the emissary alpha and waves of shriekers, ogres, etc. and set up my second camp. I have all these schematics and Bull desperately needs an armor upgrade....but every camp just has a party swapper and potion table. Is there some point where I can craft armor again, or do I have to backtrack all the way back to Skyhold? You'd think traveling with dwarves would make this easy.

Aren't there crafting tables in that first camp area on the top floor, with the merchants and whatnot? I think you do have to go back to Dagna for masterwork/rune stuff though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

snoremac posted:

I thought it did queue the action, just that there's no visual indicator that it's done so.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Crow Jane posted:

Aren't there crafting tables in that first camp area on the top floor, with the merchants and whatnot? I think you do have to go back to Dagna for masterwork/rune stuff though

Yes, but they are locked behind an expedition table mission. Got them now - thanks so much!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

precision posted:

I thought it did queue the action, just that there's no visual indicator that it's done so.

It makes it so you can't select potions at all. Only choice is to wait out the current action. I'm pretty sure Origins queues it without an indicator.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

precision posted:

Oh wow, the Mage quest really is way better than the Templar one.

I prefer the Templar quest because I feel like Cole makes barely any sense when he just turns up and starts doing stuff at the end of the Mage quest. He's too weird to be an introduction in that style.
Whereas Dorian is (even though he's a Tevinter) a shitload more normal and to just arrive and start going on fits better.

Calpurnia works a lot better as a villain too.

It's a strange part of the game because when you do the mage quest the whole Red Templar stuff feels "right" but when you do the Templar one it's a bit weird. Like they wanted to have Mages or Templars as enemies but didn't have the time or money so just went for Templars regardless of what you do.

Taear fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 22, 2018

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

There's an annoyingly persistent bug in the PS4 version where the aesthetic for the Lost in the Mist ability stays with the characters after a fight until it's somehow deactivated in another fight. Which means everything in-between is accompanied by this loud whirrrrrrrrr whirrrrrrrrrr sound. I hope it doesn't stick around for the remaining dozens of hours.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 24, 2018

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

My god I was cringing when Mother Giselle started singing that song and everyone joined in.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

snoremac posted:

My god I was cringing when Mother Giselle started singing that song and everyone joined in.

You know, I really loved that bit. I feel like an exception but it went really well and I haven't really seen anything like that in other games.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

snoremac posted:

My DA:I awkward confession is that I genuinely like the Dawn Will Come scene. It's very blatant about trying to tug at your heart strings, but there's a build up to it and it's executed kind of well.
It is very cheesy, but it just works for me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think that scene quite hits the mark 100% but I appreciate what they were trying to do.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think that scene quite hits the mark 100% but I appreciate what they were trying to do.

Same

But it rubs me the wrong way that you can’t skip it. They’re like “you really need to see this great scene!!” Which instinctually makes me want to hate it

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

snoremac posted:

Worst scene in the trilogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Randaconda posted:

Worst scene in the trilogy

Nah that's when the head enchanter in D2 spontaneously turns into a reused asset from a D1 DLC