Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I actually like Jak 3 a little more but I'll openly admit it's due to the gameplay getting more polish.

And FAU is definitely right that the beginning is quite rough. It doesn't really get great until the full worlds opened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

I'm still pretty early in, I just got the blaster upgrade for my gun, so I'm not writing it off yet. But something about it just isn't clicking and I can't put my finger on it.

The checkpoints are awful though. I just did some sewer mission about destroying 4 turrets and I died on number 4 three or four times before I got it, and of course the checkpoint is at the beginning of the entire thing.
The checkpoints are super inconsistent. Some make sense, some are completely insane. That one is especially egregious, to the point where it's the reason I remember the mission.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

And FAU is definitely right that the beginning is quite rough. It doesn't really get great until the full worlds opened.
The issue is that somewhere around 2/3 of the missions in the first quarter of the game are vehicle-based, and for some reason they expect players to be able to drive poo poo perfectly. The leaper lizard race is my favorite example. You can't make a mistake, and it's like the third mission.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Despite 90% of the game so far being good and fun, there is one aspect of Spiderwick Chronicles on the PS2 that gave me grief - most of the savepoints are the autosaves between areas, so I had to redo exploring the quarry 3 times because I hosed up a simple jump and died twice like an idiot. There were a lot of collectibles there and a puzzle that I couldn't solve the first time for some optional stuff though so it was worth doing. I just need to be more careful. However the sidequests are interesting enough, and the combat is pretty fun as all the characters so yay!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of weird how quickly the Jak series just kind of dropped off and died.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Is it? It seems kinda straightforward that Naughty Dog just started making Uncharted games instead.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There were a huge number of production issues with Jak 3. That's why they released Jak X. They spent way too much time and money developing the vehicle system. Cutscenes were expensive and time-consuming. The Jak series looks great for a PS2 game, but that cost a lot. It wasn't very popular outside the U.S., Jak 3 never even came out in Japan. The reason that Ashelin takes on a bigger role than Kiera is that Kiera's original voice actress left, other issues like that. Basically I don't think it was a very profitable series.

Edit: Jak 1 wasn't intended to be a collectathon, but they started running out of time and budget. These problems existed from the start. Also I don't think the traditional 3-D platformer is as popular anymore as the contextual platforming of Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, etc.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Yardbomb posted:

OPM is done silly for that though, Superman a lot of the time just feels like "I can do everything" played straight. And yeah Supes has had his "How do I empathize with fallible people" storylines but that's not really done much for me either.

If you're reading a story where Superman is omnipotent or infallible, then you're reading a bad Superman story.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also I don't think the traditional 3-D platformer is as popular anymore as the contextual platforming of Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, etc.

These days they are third person shooters/brawlers with mostly on-rails platforming sections instead of platformers with occasional combat sections. And honestly it's a shame because a lot of the old games have QoL issues that make them hard to go back to but that type of game isn't really made any more.
I feel like 2d platformers are also going in that direction a bit. Iconoclasts felt really off to me because tools and weapons were the same thing, but they were balanced for combat so if you hosed up a jump you had to stands still and wait out the cooldown before you could retry. And while there are "pure" platforming games like Celeste they often feel like too inspired by "masocore" in a way that doesn't interest me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been replaying Bloodborne and got to the section I really hated the first time around too, the Forbidden Forest. A lot of the time it feels like you're not really progressing anywhere and are just kind of wandering around aimlessly. Also I'm not fond of the snake monsters because it's really hard to get a good read on what exactly their range is.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

I've been replaying Bloodborne and got to the section I really hated the first time around too, the Forbidden Forest. A lot of the time it feels like you're not really progressing anywhere and are just kind of wandering around aimlessly. Also I'm not fond of the snake monsters because it's really hard to get a good read on what exactly their range is.

Worst section of the game, imo. The big ones have a range of "can I see you?" The tiny ones have a pretty small range, and the snake-heads have a range of just under the transformed mode of the axe.

Can’t help on the progress front. Even after getting all three shortcuts open I can’t navigate for poo poo there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

But it's so easy to navigate in the Forbidden Forest - just follow the trail of unicorn blood until you run into Voldemort! :v:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The problem with Bloodborne for me is it's just absolutely goddamn impossible to get anyone to check it out because Central Yharnam is such a rough starting area and you're stuck at that lantern for ages before unlocking Oedeon Chapel. Combine that with the fact that you need to farm for blood vials and bullets and can't even level up unless you either already know what you're doing and grab a Madman's Insight or get killed by a boss and it's just a really unforgiving opening that I have personally seen turn like three people off from this totally friggin' rad game.

Just once I want to be the badass knowledgeable player getting summoned by my friends for help instead of the total scrub getting mopped up by Amelia or whatever. :(

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm nearing the end of Bloodborne and so far all areas have been a "Well, I'm hosed" but then I began noticing patterns and exploits I could use and managed to clear them. But not Yahar'Gul. That place is absolute bullshit and was explicitly designed to be as annoying as possible. And they knew it was going to be a pain in the rear end because there are multiple Lanterns and Shortcuts to bypass all that BS.

It's no Black Gulch or The Gutter, but still.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Yahar'gul is my least favorite area, followed by the Forbidden Woods. The respawning enemies and amygdala beams are so god drat annoying.

Also that hunter fight against the three cultists in the gaol is harder than The One Reborn.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I enjoyed the oppressive atmosphere of most of Bloodborne's areas. There's really no point where you enter somewhere new and think to yourself that you're just going to wreck poo poo. Come to think of it, there was one area, and that was Hemwick Charnel Lane. The only dangerous thing about it was the couple times enemies could sneak up on you when you were close to a ledge. Everywhere else I felt like I had to sneak my way around until I got a lay of the land

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

The problem with Bloodborne for me is it's just absolutely goddamn impossible to get anyone to check it out because Central Yharnam is such a rough starting area and you're stuck at that lantern for ages before unlocking Oedeon Chapel. Combine that with the fact that you need to farm for blood vials and bullets and can't even level up unless you either already know what you're doing and grab a Madman's Insight or get killed by a boss and it's just a really unforgiving opening that I have personally seen turn like three people off from this totally friggin' rad game.

Just once I want to be the badass knowledgeable player getting summoned by my friends for help instead of the total scrub getting mopped up by Amelia or whatever. :(

I know how it feels - there is no one I can talk about Horizon with at work because everyone that has played it has barely got past the Proving.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

I know how it feels - there is no one I can talk about Horizon with at work because everyone that has played it has barely got past the Proving.

That is at least fairly straightforward. I haven’t been able to figure out the starting area of bloodborne at all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kit Walker posted:

I enjoyed the oppressive atmosphere of most of Bloodborne's areas. There's really no point where you enter somewhere new and think to yourself that you're just going to wreck poo poo. Come to think of it, there was one area, and that was Hemwick Charnel Lane. The only dangerous thing about it was the couple times enemies could sneak up on you when you were close to a ledge. Everywhere else I felt like I had to sneak my way around until I got a lay of the land

I love the atmosphere and design of bloodborne, but for the life of me just could not get into the gameplay like the other souls games. Having your parries and healing be limited consumables was frustrating. Every enemy be a big giant angry fast guy got old and the bosses, while cool, were a pain in the rear end to learn because so much of their visual designs were cluttered with fur and other effects so it could be super hard to tell if what was about to hit you was just harmless fluff, or an actual limb. Plus the screaming half of them did gave me a headache.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Souls games would be a lot more enjoyable for me if every single thing was not trying to kill you at all times. Like maybe every five minutes, a thing tries to kill you. But mostly things are just weird and atmospheric.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I think Souls games would be a lot more enjoyable for me if every single thing was not trying to kill you at all times. Like maybe every five minutes, a thing tries to kill you. But mostly things are just weird and atmospheric.
Then there wouldn't be any atmosphere. The atmosphere comes from the constant sense of danger.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Then there wouldn't be any atmosphere. The atmosphere comes from the constant sense of danger.

Yes but you can get as much sense of danger without the actual danger. I cannot play a lot of horror games because often the atmosphere of the first few rooms can be a bit much, like when I tried to play SOMA. Then again, I am a GIANT BABY :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Life is Strange Before the Storm feels like it exists just to be incredibly depressing. The first one wasn’t exactly happy but goddamn. There’s nothing happy in this game. Protip: if you’re like my fiancee and got way too emotionally invested in the game don’t go into Farewell expecting anything other than misery.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

FactsAreUseless posted:

There are many games that manage to convey a persistent sense of unease without everything trying to kill you. Silent Hill 2 is one of the creepiest games ever made and you can bypass literally 90% of all the monsters in the game. Doesn't keep it from having a superbly oppressive atmosphere.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That is at least fairly straightforward. I haven’t been able to figure out the starting area of bloodborne at all.

The first area of Bloodborne, from the first Lantern all the way to killing Gascoigne is the way of the game trying to teach how it's mechanics work organically, but there's a lot that flies over people's heads because the Soulsborne games can be obtuse as gently caress. If you're still interested, drop by the BB Thread on games and tell us what you're having trouble with and we can give you a hand.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Len posted:

Life is Strange Before the Storm feels like it exists just to be incredibly depressing. The first one wasn’t exactly happy but goddamn. There’s nothing happy in this game. Protip: if you’re like my fiancee and got way too emotionally invested in the game don’t go into Farewell expecting anything other than misery.

I love the Life is Strange series but it is 95% tragedy. Don't worry though, it all ends well if you make the right choice.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

exquisite tea posted:

I love the Life is Strange series but it is 95% tragedy. Don't worry though, it all ends well if you make the right choice.

I haven’t fully played the prequel but i watched her play most of it and dear lord. The original was great though and once i forget more of BtS i plan to go through it myself. I cant wait for Dont Nod to announce more about the official second game though

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah uh...the part of Bloodborne that I'm talking about would be more equivalent to the part of H:ZD where you're playing as Aloy as a kid. Except imagine that nobody talks to you, and you can't craft gear or upgrade anything, and if you die it spawns you basically in the middle of a crowd of Watchers. Gascoigne is like the Proving, but just unlocking the shortcuts and getting to him is obtuse as hell and an absolutely absurd percentage of people that start BB never even get that far.

Samuringa posted:

The first area of Bloodborne, from the first Lantern all the way to killing Gascoigne is the way of the game trying to teach how it's mechanics work organically, but there's a lot that flies over people's heads because the Soulsborne games can be obtuse as gently caress. If you're still interested, drop by the BB Thread on games and tell us what you're having trouble with and we can give you a hand.

It's weird because Bloodborne is just different enough from the Souls games that it's almost worse going into it if you've played some Dark Souls. It shares a lot with Demon's Souls, sure, but even then it's enough of its own thing that you really need to go into it fresh.

Things that the first area of BB "teaches" you that it never explicitly says, and you can bang your head against for hours before figuring out:
-Fighting things is for chumps, running past things works way more often than you'd think
-Parrying is godlike but eats either bullets or health (or, if you gently caress up your timing, both! :v:)
-Some enemies drop things reliably enough to farm, and holy poo poo farm those blood vials and bullets
-There are shortcuts and they're totally key to efficiently getting to bosses
-Not all bosses are mandatory but you definitely won't figure that out until you finally kill the Cleric Beast and it does absolutely loving nothing for you, because gently caress you, newbie
-A lot of poo poo can be cheesed, easily
-You need Insight to do basically anything, but again, gently caress you, you don't know how to get any unless you've already played before (but don't worry, unless you've already played before you won't even realize that not having Insight is what's keeping you from leveling up!)

But there's just too much that this one area is trying to teach you, and it does a poo poo job at it until you look back at it on NG+ or a new character and think "oh, that's why that enemy is there" or whatever. On your first run through you keep wondering why it takes you 45 minutes to fight your way to this Cleric Beast who kills you in two hits, and then halfway through the game you're struggling with everything because you never bothered learning to parry anything other than the absolute slowest brutes in the game.

FWIW there is also a rad Bloodborne thread in GBS right now, and the excellent mod Jose will helpfully probate you for 6 hours if you mention that you're giving up, to give you time to go back to the Good Hunt and try to get better. :v: Despite all this poo poo I'm complaining about, it is still such a good game. Just a terrible, terrible introduction.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I'm at Ludwig and I still haven't managed to parry an enemy on purpose.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Yeah uh...the part of Bloodborne that I'm talking about would be more equivalent to the part of H:ZD where you're playing as Aloy as a kid. Except imagine that nobody talks to you, and you can't craft gear or upgrade anything, and if you die it spawns you basically in the middle of a crowd of Watchers.

that would be way more badass than the hzd than we got

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I'm at Ludwig and I still haven't managed to parry an enemy on purpose.

It's genuinely really worth practicing - I still haven't beaten the game, my first playthrough got stalled out at

but I also got totally stonewalled at the Blood Starved Beast on my first playthrough, and ended up summoning for it. This playthrough I learned how to parry and (barely) got hit once during the fight, just absolutely curbstomped the wretched thing.

That's one thing that I really appreciate about Bloodborne - it's got a ton of horror elements, but it's not really a horror game at all. More horror-themed, like Dark Souls wearing the flayed skin of Castlevania. Going through it again, everything is so easy, and Djura getting all pissy and opening up on you with the gatling gun in Old Yharnam makes much more sense: I am the loving Hunter, and I am here to kill Beasts.

e: VVVVV it's a sixer, dude, it's all in good fun

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Mar 19, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

FWIW there is also a rad Bloodborne thread in GBS right now, and the excellent mod Jose will helpfully probate you for 6 hours if you mention that you're giving up, to give you time to go back to the Good Hunt and try to get better. :v: Despite all this poo poo I'm complaining about, it is still such a good game. Just a terrible, terrible introduction.

Yes, that certainly sounds like a sane reaction rather than some insecure person lashing out against anyone who dares not enjoy their favorite game or something.

Unless you're exaggerating and they only dish out probations to posts like 'okay I give up this game sucks and you all suck for liking it' or rude stuff like that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yes, that certainly sounds like a sane reaction rather than some insecure person lashing out against anyone who dares not enjoy their favorite game or something.

Unless you're exaggerating and they only dish out probations to posts like 'okay I give up this game sucks and you all suck for liking it' or rude stuff like that.

"in GBS"

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah people get insanely defensive if you don't like Bloodborne, or even if you don't like any given aspect of it. Look no further than the PS4 thread to see dozens of posters clambering over each other to yell at anyone who says something remotely negative about it.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

come on dude it's just a joke 6 hour

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

jesus christ lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If it was a joke probation you'd be banned for three Loss.jpgs! Six hours is a long time! You could almost watch the entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy in that amount of time!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Who watches the watchers

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, didn't know GBS is full of these "totally a joke"-probes, I haven't looked in there ever since it became terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Sorry, didn't know GBS is full of these "totally a joke"-probes, I haven't looked in there ever since it became terrible.

...became?