Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The White Dragon posted:

i can't imagine what it must be like to go through life as such a joyless bumbaclot

Earthbound gets fondly remembered for its quirky nature, which is fine. But that's all it has going for it. There are 20 RPGs I would rather replay for SNES before I got to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

seiferguy posted:

Earthbound gets fondly remembered for its quirky nature, which is fine. But that's all it has going for it. There are 20 RPGs I would rather replay for SNES before I got to it.

I don't know, some of the music is pretty memorable too

In terms of gameplay I think I kinda agree

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

seiferguy posted:

Oh I got you, you take issue with it for the game being referenced. For me, I'm looking at it more like the line itself had just the right comedic timing to catch me off guard. It was a perfectly placed joke and I walked right into it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I'm at the point in the story where I head for Altissia, I think, and I'm not sure I want to continue given what I know about the rest of the game

It was mildly fun but I can't help but :shrug: when I think about the game as a whole, so the disappointment would probably just sour me

Consider it a point of no return and try to 100% complete your current open world? I genuinely had a blast doing that.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The best part of XV is that you can switch between the feel-good Buddy movie and the brooding dark Action-Drama movie at will.

The idea of taking that away sounds awful.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
So in FFXVPC did they fix how hosed up and awful Pitioss is or can you just cheat and give yourself the Black Hood + Genji Gloves without slogging though it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So in FFXVPC did they fix how hosed up and awful Pitioss is or can you just cheat and give yourself the Black Hood + Genji Gloves without slogging though it?

Why would they ever change Pitioss it's hilarious

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Pitioss is the best dungeon in the game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ciaphas posted:

I don't know, some of the music is pretty memorable too

In terms of gameplay I think I kinda agree

I can only recall a few songs from the soundtrack, mainly because Smash Bros makes me remember them.

The White Dragon posted:

Oh I got you, you take issue with it for the game being referenced. For me, I'm looking at it more like the line itself had just the right comedic timing to catch me off guard. It was a perfectly placed joke and I walked right into it.

Oh it's a perfectly fine joke. I just like the opportunity to take potshots at Earthbound because people wildly defend it over weak reasons.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 18, 2018

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Pitioss is the best dungeon in the game.

Truth!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Is there literally any way to return to Fodina Caestino or will this half done photo quest haunt me for eternity?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I just finished chapter 13 in XV, and I understand it got tons of redesign? What'd they change? The version I played was slow, boring, and full of petty annoyances, but it didn't feel like it would provoke all of the complaints I heard about it when the game first came out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Earthbound has a part where you wait three real time minutes to infiltrate a factory so you can defeat a sentient pile of vomit by giving him honey made from flies in order to free a race of creatures so weird I can!t even describe them.

If you think about it Earthbound is the essence of Final Fantasy.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Mega64 posted:

Earthbound has a part where you wait three real time minutes to infiltrate a factory so you can defeat a sentient pile of vomit by giving him honey made from flies in order to free a race of creatures so weird I can!t even describe them.

If you think about it Earthbound is the essence of Final Fantasy.

I thought the essence of final fantasy was a bunch of crystals with large wigs and impractical swords with zippers on them. Also, one of the crystals is named Cid.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

I thought the essence of final fantasy was a bunch of crystals with large wigs and impractical swords with zippers on them. Also, one of the crystals is named Cid.

You forgot to mention that they’re all riding giant yellow chickens.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Asphyxious posted:

Is there literally any way to return to Fodina Caestino or will this half done photo quest haunt me for eternity?

There arent any missables, so yes theres a way back there for the photo.

Omi no Kami posted:

So I just finished chapter 13 in XV, and I understand it got tons of redesign? What'd they change? The version I played was slow, boring, and full of petty annoyances, but it didn't feel like it would provoke all of the complaints I heard about it when the game first came out.

The ring got super buffed from launch, but even with that as you note its just a real bad section for how late in the game it is.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

No poo poo the ring got buffed, I just nuked the adamantoise with it in literally just minutes. Good thing too, because it took me hours to do that stupid fight on PS4.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

I haven't played the patched version, but originally it was what you described, except it took even longer. It's not a great section, but it's placement in the story was pretty much just a 3 hour interlude right before the final chapters, completely destroying any pacing.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So I stuck with Noctis for chapter 13. What’s different when you play as gladio and ignis? I’m guessing they just replace the stealth with combat? Is it still a bunch of hallways and keycards?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I picked up a really strong greatsword in Malmalam Thicket but hoo boy I really don't like using greatswords with Noctis. It really feels like Noctis is meant to always be as fast and maneuverable as possible, so the super-slow wind-up for each attack is just brutal.

I need to find a good spear. The strongest I have right now is the Ice Lance and it just pales in comparison to the swords I can use (and the stat boosts from Sword of the Wise make it nice to spend a slot on no matter what). I suppose I could've held off on upgrading the Engine Blade so much but I got three Sturdy Helixhorns in a single fight, what do you want from me? :colbert:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You do jump attacks with Great Swords, that's how you circumvent the slow start-up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah, that'd do it. I'll have to give that a try. Swinging around a huge sword that makes lightning strike everywhere certainly is satisfying the few times I don't get punched out of my startup.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

man nurse posted:

So I stuck with Noctis for chapter 13. What’s different when you play as gladio and ignis? I’m guessing they just replace the stealth with combat? Is it still a bunch of hallways and keycards?

Its still a bunch of hallways but you are playing Gladio with Ignis following you sometimes helping. And you get a lot more info on the outside world along the way(still not a huge amount) and get to see how a certain character got to where he was when Noctis arrived. Its easier then the original version of 13 though and doesn't scale at all based on your level or gear and is much quicker so if you care to get more lore you can chapter select it for a run through but I'd probably suggest putting a little distance between you and 13 first so you don't burn out on the repetitive hallways with the same basic enemies in them. (now that I say it. Wow chapter 13 and FF13 are pretty similar. Including reading a good chunk of data without hearing any.....)

Oh and if you do chapter select it DON'T keep playing on that one. I lost 3 or 4 levels doing that because I went back to the road trip portion of the game after it and found out all of my side quest progress and map completion went away as if I had just started the game from chapter 13 with all my items and weapons..... thinking of that though actually you might only be able to go back and select it once you've finished the game... its been awhile since I actually finished it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

man nurse posted:

They go in after Noctis so all the keycard hunting is already finished and doors are open. You just go through, watch a couple of videos in security rooms, stick your sword into one demon Noctis had to run from, and then the lines rejoin.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Should I assume the listed attack value for the royal arms doesn’t tell the whole story? I keep hearing about things like Sword of the Wise being really good but its attack seems really low for being a weapon that costs HP. Are there special multipliers on some attacks or something?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You don't actually use the Royal Arms, because of the HP drain, but you do equip them for the passive buffs they give. At endgame you should always have at least Sword of the Father equipped at all times, and maybe another Royal Arm depending on what you want to do.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

Should I assume the listed attack value for the royal arms doesn’t tell the whole story? I keep hearing about things like Sword of the Wise being really good but its attack seems really low for being a weapon that costs HP. Are there special multipliers on some attacks or something?

Having it equiped boosts your characters attack value for all attacks and weapons. you don't need to actually use it in battle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gologle posted:

You don't actually use the Royal Arms, because of the HP drain, but you do equip them for the passive buffs they give. At endgame you should always have at least Sword of the Father equipped at all times, and maybe another Royal Arm depending on what you want to do.

I've seen videos/written things about how some of the royal arms can do pretty great DPS, like spamming the opening attack with Sword of the Wise or something, but maybe that's bullshit?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

I picked up a really strong greatsword in Malmalam Thicket but hoo boy I really don't like using greatswords with Noctis. It really feels like Noctis is meant to always be as fast and maneuverable as possible, so the super-slow wind-up for each attack is just brutal.

Do the initial attack, wait for Noctis to backstep, then do another attack for a super-fast multi-hitting spin attack.

Villain's Mask
Nov 28, 2004

This post he typed in cold blood with a toothpick

man nurse posted:

No poo poo the ring got buffed, I just nuked the adamantoise with it in literally just minutes. Good thing too, because it took me hours to do that stupid fight on PS4.

That upgrade made the last few menace dungeons hilarious. Combine that with the exosuits and it got even funnier - you're temporarily invulnerable to damage and can nuke anything at will. They really didn't balance the ring well at all.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Final Fantasy XV Chapter 5: Dude Where's My Car?

Also the whole segment at the Ring of Cauthess was kickin' rad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Final Fantasy XV Chapter 5: Dude Where's My Car?

"hey noct, you have a tattoo on your rear end!"
"so do you, gladio! what's it say?"

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Megaphone on Gladio and a choker on Noct pretty much negates the HP drain on royal arms, and Swords of the Wanderer is supposed to be a lot better than it's attack rating suggests.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I played chapter 13 a couple nights ago and had a good time dance-nuking around everything. If Holy sucked at release, I can see how 13 got its reputation, though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Here is the list of Royal Arms, off the top of my head, that are actually decent-to-good at being used, as opposed to just being stat buffs: Sword of the Father, Swords of the Wanderer, Scepter of the Pious, Star of the Rogue, Shield of the Just (pretty much just for farming though), Katana of the Warrior, and Trident of the Oracle is kind of situational, because its ability can be duplicated by an ascension grid node IIRC (could be wrong, I don't have the game on hand to check right now).

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Royal arms all have kick rear end animation sets, which is the most important part.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

seiferguy posted:

I can only recall a few songs from the soundtrack, mainly because Smash Bros makes me remember them.
What about the desert music?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFS3j9MHdI4

seriously I sometimes just get the main melody of it stuck in my head completely at random for days on end and I don't think it was ever in a Smash

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What about the desert music?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFS3j9MHdI4

seriously I sometimes just get the main melody of it stuck in my head completely at random for days on end and I don't think it was ever in a Smash

There's only 3 songs I can recall off of Earthbound.

Onett theme: https://youtu.be/nNGY_fvXUCY

Fourside: https://youtu.be/bvBT1Cspwss

This battle theme because it starts like the riff off of Tequila: https://youtu.be/AOSMoEKox8g

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

aegof posted:

I played chapter 13 a couple nights ago and had a good time dance-nuking around everything. If Holy sucked at release, I can see how 13 got its reputation, though.

As far as I recall holy was always pretty good. It might be better now. I know they made Death a lot better though. And.... Altera or whatever its called. They were a good deal slower and death used to basically only work on lowbie enemies and the guys in that dungeon. Anything outside of the beginning of the game and chapter 13 though would take multiple full mana bars to kill with death. Altera meanwhile had the same problem of the vast majority of enemies being flat out immune to it and the added fun of it only having a random chance of working in the first place. Meaning you could empty your whole mana bar for it and have all the enemies ignore that anything is happening to attack you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gologle posted:

Here is the list of Royal Arms, off the top of my head, that are actually decent-to-good at being used, as opposed to just being stat buffs: Sword of the Father, Swords of the Wanderer, Scepter of the Pious, Star of the Rogue, Shield of the Just (pretty much just for farming though), Katana of the Warrior, and Trident of the Oracle is kind of situational, because its ability can be duplicated by an ascension grid node IIRC (could be wrong, I don't have the game on hand to check right now).

Is there some cool interaction between the crossbow one and Ignis's Overwhelm tech? I saw a post somewhere else that just mentioned "bow + Overwhelm" as something that does a ton of damage.