Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I said this last time motorcycle games came up but Ride 2 really scratches that itch for me in a way nothing since Tourist Trophy did.

Also I fixed my DS4 issue thanks to you guys, forgot to update but I was using a lovely version of it and finding a good fork worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

You just gotta buy one of those arcade racing games that actually lets you lean

I’d be too much of a stickler for realism for this to work

The handlebars would need about an inch of rotation and heavy resistance to be even close to realistic.

The leaning mechanism would need strong springs for resistance, as well as hydraulics to stand the bike up when you brake, and push it over when you countersteer. If you push the bike over too far it should lowside in-game.

I’d be too much of a realism-nazi to even enjoy it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bike games play really well with a controller. Compared to car sims anyways.

Does a bike game even exist that implements countersteer?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Probably not, because there are no realistic controllers.

Chicken and egg

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not consumer grade anyways. There are companies that sell bike simulation rigs to racing teams.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
gRally is coming to Steam EA soon :stare:

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/coming-soon-grally-heading-to-steam-early-access.148470/

Chance for distaster... 99%?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They've been showing promising videos for long enough that I have some faith but I also remember Kartkraft doing the same thing. It's something I'm keeping an eye on but I'm no way putting money down for a while especially given how they seem to be pushing its mod focus which makes me nervous that they're banking on modders jumping onto it ala OG rFactor.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I don't know if other countries have the same sales, but the Logitech G29 and G920 are like half off on Amazon Germany.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:laugh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Basically “Racedepartment killed our DLC business”

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If there's one thing a community built on people that obsess over the placement of an authentic decal on an old racecar are going to be thrilled with, it's a game with no modding functionality.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’d be too much of a stickler for realism for this to work

The handlebars would need about an inch of rotation and heavy resistance to be even close to realistic.

The leaning mechanism would need strong springs for resistance, as well as hydraulics to stand the bike up when you brake, and push it over when you countersteer. If you push the bike over too far it should lowside in-game.

I’d be too much of a realism-nazi to even enjoy it.

Same, except I would want the hydraulics to be strong enough to throw me into the ceiling when I highside.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
To be fair, all they've said is that ACC won't have modding tools available for end users and they won't go out of their way to provide a way to get your custom poo poo into the game. But it'll be Unreal, so it might even be EASIER to implement mods than in AC.

Or they are going to try to go all RaceRoom and sell us official liveries one at a time or something, in which case, I guess I'll still be playing AC.

Speaking of modding in Assetto Corsa, have you guys tried out the Honda HF2620 Racing Lawn Mower?

I've been having fun making some skins for it... the second one requested by the guy who did the mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4jeqX5IX10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPOz5O2uSu4

Essobie fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 17, 2018

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Essobie posted:

To be fair, all they've said is that ACC won't have modding tools available for end users and they won't go out of their way to provide a way to get your custom poo poo into the game. But it'll be Unreal, so it might even be EASIER to implement mods than in AC.

AMS is the same, it doesn't officially support modding because of the engine license agreement but everyone in the sim racing mod scene knows how to mod GMotor2 at this point.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Quite A Tool posted:

I said this last time motorcycle games came up but Ride 2 really scratches that itch for me in a way nothing since Tourist Trophy did.

Also I fixed my DS4 issue thanks to you guys, forgot to update but I was using a lovely version of it and finding a good fork worked.

Yeah i picked it up, its better than i expected. Really good racing game overall. Its better than forza imo and thats probably the closest comparison in the genre. Really good track selection too. The ai completely ignores that you exist but im so lovely in traffic on bikes if the ai was competent i would be the rear end in a top hat causing the carnage.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar iRacing starts up again today, more details and hype here but it is all free content until the last round and if people are sad enough I may even buy that last track for them, no promises, impress me.

Mazda MX-5s, they're a blast, come race with goons, if you have a wheel this will cost you 5 bucks for one (or maybe three, idk if there's an offer on) months racing and is worth it for Gooncar alone, though there's a bunch if official races in the free content as well.

tl;dr: :getin:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
:siren:Pcars 2 goon racing for March 18th:siren:
100cc karts on the little British kart tracks. A bunch of Sprint races. Let's do this poo poo.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

GutBomb posted:

:siren:Pcars 2 goon racing for March 18th:siren:
100cc karts on the little British kart tracks. A bunch of Sprint races. Let's do this poo poo.

For whatever dumb reason they took all the kart tracks out of everything except career mode and private testing. I'm still down for doing karts on some of the shorter tracks though.

Edit- scratch that, you just need to use the Kart motorsports preset

a loathsome bird fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 18, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So for next week I have a few ideas:

NASCAR oval racing
Supercars on point to point tracks
GT3 on popular circuits used for GT3

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

Gooncar iRacing starts up again today, more details and hype here but it is all free content until the last round and if people are sad enough I may even buy that last track for them, no promises, impress me.

Mazda MX-5s, they're a blast, come race with goons, if you have a wheel this will cost you 5 bucks for one (or maybe three, idk if there's an offer on) months racing and is worth it for Gooncar alone, though there's a bunch if official races in the free content as well.

tl;dr: :getin:

This race was a blast this week, if you're sitting there thinking "I'm interested but isn't iRacing going to cost a bomb/be too hard to get into/not have any races for me to get Good Value if I do put money down?" then GOOD NEWS, I can answer these questions!

1. This costs as much as you want it to, everyone likes to talk about spending a shitload to participate but there's a solid stack of free content now, all of which is incorporated into an official series of some kind, and failing that I will always try to make room for people in Gooncar series with the absolute minimum required outlay.

2. Do you have a wheel/pedals? Then you can get into this no problem, sure it's no arcade racer but at the absolute worst with a little patience you will be quite able to tootle around the back of a Gooncar field and laugh as the 'fast' people wreck and you pass them.

3. If you spend the $5 to get three months (info below on codes etc) you'll get three months of Gooncar (immediate value) but also half a dozen series that use free content that iRacing run as official races, most of which run hourly. You probably won't run out of races to run, especially if you accidentally start to buy more content.

PROMO CODES: find the latest deals here, https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/iracing-promo-codes-updated.131900/

(promos only tend to happen for new subs, though there's nothing stopping you from e.g. getting the 3months for $5 deal for three months, then if you decide you want to commit to this poo poo making a new account with a different code to get, say, the Ford GT)

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAIn2RaCMnc

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Vando posted:

tootle around the back of a Gooncar field and laugh as the 'fast' people wreck and you pass them.

gently caress Okayama short! :(

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

GutBomb posted:

So for next week I have a few ideas:

NASCAR oval racing
Supercars on point to point tracks
GT3 on popular circuits used for GT3

California highway is always a good time. NASCAR can get a little dry without big fields and the AI tends to line up and not really race.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Everything in Raceroom is going to be free this weekend, so if you're curious about that game this is a pretty good chance to see everything.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

njsykora posted:

Everything in Raceroom is going to be free this weekend, so if you're curious about that game this is a pretty good chance to see everything.

Thanks for the heads up. I have quite a lot of the stuff, but couldn't find the time to check wether the last three tracks plus the whole Porsche expansion is worth it.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

njsykora posted:

Pre-Gooncar DTM 92 let's goooooo :getin:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Essobie posted:

Speaking of modding in Assetto Corsa, have you guys tried out the Honda HF2620 Racing Lawn Mower?

what the hell this owns

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Hell yeah
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/rv-motorhome.20199/

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Do they realistically break during a race apart?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO5Ndbb-woM

Huh, it might be not bullshit?

Seems like the motor is good and everything else is cheap as gently caress though. 3d-printed paddle shifters? Lmao.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I read the recommendations for wheels in the OP, but what do you guys think of the plain Thrustmaster TMX (no clutch pedal)? I could probably get spousal approval for $200, but beyond that would be pushing it.

I had an old MS wheel that died a few years ago so almost anything would be an upgrade from that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

a mysterious cloak posted:

I read the recommendations for wheels in the OP, but what do you guys think of the plain Thrustmaster TMX (no clutch pedal)? I could probably get spousal approval for $200, but beyond that would be pushing it.

I had an old MS wheel that died a few years ago so almost anything would be an upgrade from that.

The TMX is effectively the same as the T150 which isn't a bad wheel at all, and you can easily replace those pedals down the line with a set of T3PAs.

As for the cheap DD wheel, nothing wrong with 3D printed parts (the SSH shifter is still a nice bit of kit) but the amount of click they have is kinda offputting. Though being a DD wheel I'd assume you can just replace that wheel if you wanted to.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

the T3PA pro's are nice.. I like my thurstmaster, belt driven is nice.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

njsykora posted:

The TMX is effectively the same as the T150 which isn't a bad wheel at all, and you can easily replace those pedals down the line with a set of T3PAs.
The difference between the TMX / T150 with bad pedals and the "Pro" version with T3PAs is $50 or less compared to $130 for the pedals alone. Hopefully the T150 Pro combo is a reasonable place to start- it'll be my first wheel (arriving tomorrow), but modulating braking on a controller is awful and I'll probably enjoy racing games more with an actual wheel.

I'm hoping to not eventually spend tons of money on a full rig & even better controls, because I'm pretty sure you can buy an actual shifter kart for less money than some of the video game rigs.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd say go with the TMX.. and then get yourself some nice Fanatech loadcell brake pedals for $200 next time you want to splurge. I'm sad that I could have done The Fanatech with loadcell for $50 more than my T3PA Pro's..

Is there much of a difference besides clutch with the T3PA's over the non clutch pedals?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Please check the Logitech G29 and G920 on Amazon first, they are still half off and afaik a class better than the TMX.

Edit: Scratch that, the two Logitechs are still gear driven, I didn't realize that.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 23, 2018

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

heffray posted:

I'm hoping to not eventually spend tons of money on a full rig & even better controls

Good luck my friend.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Got to say I'm pretty impressed with wreckfest development as of late. I wrote it off at the end of last year, but this year they have been updating it often with some pretty big updates (3 this month)

Check out this pretty impressive changelist for this update

http://steamcommunity.com/games/228380/announcements/detail/1663391440659382352

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

heffray posted:

I'm pretty sure you can buy an actual shifter kart for less money than some of the video game rigs.

Ha ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Wasn't that pretty much your opinion when you went in to it?