Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

CrazyTolradi posted:

It's important to note that the areas where the Greens polled strongest are where the RMIT and LaTrobe campuses are.

Yeah but wasn't Northcote the reason the state seat went to the Greens?

---------------------------------

I'll have to end my lease soon. It's rolled over to a periodical contract thing because neither me or the landlord did anything about a new lease when the first one ran out. Is there anything I need to be aware of? Basically want to cut off as many routes for those dicks to gently caress me over when I leave. The house was in pretty hosed condition when I moved in and I'm fairly confident I can have it in a better state when I move out than it was when I moved in but I'm still a tad worried they'll pull some stunt like rip up a floorboard, and a bunch of dry rot and try to pin it on me soomehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

You Am I posted:

RIP Magic Mountain at Glenelg :smith:

I remember getting high up on the side of one of the water slides and staring into the black abyss below :stare:

RIP

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

gay picnic defence posted:

I'll have to end my lease soon. It's rolled over to a periodical contract thing because neither me or the landlord did anything about a new lease when the first one ran out. Is there anything I need to be aware of? Basically want to cut off as many routes for those dicks to gently caress me over when I leave. The house was in pretty hosed condition when I moved in and I'm fairly confident I can have it in a better state when I move out than it was when I moved in but I'm still a tad worried they'll pull some stunt like rip up a floorboard, and a bunch of dry rot and try to pin it on me soomehow.

Take timestamped photos of everything and you'll be fine.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/martinpakulamp/status/975150979833212928?s=21

That's rough.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Meanwhile Bevan Sheilds is getting ratioed to hell on Twitter

https://twitter.com/bevanshields/status/975276218789408768?s=21

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
ASFA put comfortable yearly costs in retirement at $55-60k per annum. Sounds like he’s doing alright.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Meanwhile Bevan Sheilds is getting ratioed to hell on Twitter

https://twitter.com/bevanshields/status/975276218789408768?s=21

It is cool to me that so many journalists are bad at their job and, in fact, suck rear end.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

gay picnic defence posted:

Wasn't that the opposite of what was expected, with the 'Greenest' booths being in the south of the electorate?

The top map is just the swings from the last election. The second map has the two-party preferred, which shows the north-south divide pretty clearly.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

VodeAndreas posted:

I remember getting high up on the side of one of the water slides and staring into the black abyss below :stare:

RIP

Some dude got off the Crusin' USA cabinet, and when I sat down I noticed he'd left like 17 credits on the machine. My friend and I played for what felt like hours. That was a good day.

And THEN I realised Glenelg was my name forwards and backwards and the blew my tiny mind.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

What the gently caress did the PM achieve this week? Steel tariff exemptions?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dude McAwesome posted:

We will never know.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dude McAwesome posted:

He's still leader of the LNP. That was his achievement and that is his only goal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dude McAwesome posted:

Got ASEAN to be held in Sydney. That's literally what the article says.

It also completely misreads the Trump / Tillerson situation in the first line, which tells you a lot about how badly Sheridan over-estimates his own intelligence and understanding of the world.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If you ever have any doubt how loving worthless Australian journalists are, just ask them to comment on international politics.

Get ready to shout WROOONGGGGGG.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The Wikipedia page for Australian journalists is illuminating

a man of vision
Mar 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
whales, turtles, sharks and rays are all majestic and beautiful creatures

a remora will evolve that latches onto the sewage lines of cruise ships and subsists on a slurry of gastro-infested boomer filth. they will call it Echeneis murdochii

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The greens response to Batman is mind blowing. Identifying (wrongly in my mind) that leaks about bullying caused the loss and then swearing to find and destroy the leakers... Doesn't sit well.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Just had a thought, is there anyone in the new SA Liberal government that has ever actually been in government before? Or is SA about to experience what happens when you're lead by total novices?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Konomex posted:

Just had a thought, is there anyone in the new SA Liberal government that has ever actually been in government before? Or is SA about to experience what happens when you're lead by total novices?

I'm pretty sure they're all as "fresh" as you can get. I actually feel really bad for Weatherill since he seems like one of the only politicians in the game with an actual vision, rather than just trying to win for the sake of winning or defending business interests. I enjoyed his tenacity and take no poo poo attitude and it sucks that the state didn't get another term of him trying to achieve some good stuff.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

The greens response to Batman is mind blowing. Identifying (wrongly in my mind) that leaks about bullying caused the loss and then swearing to find and destroy the leakers... Doesn't sit well.

Should the party just be like oh yeah it was cool those guys leaked, lets promote them, or what?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

JBP posted:

I'm pretty sure they're all as "fresh" as you can get. I actually feel really bad for Weatherill since he seems like one of the only politicians in the game with an actual vision, rather than just trying to win for the sake of winning or defending business interests. I enjoyed his tenacity and take no poo poo attitude and it sucks that the state didn't get another term of him trying to achieve some good stuff.

Hopefully he gets a shot at a federal seat at some point.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Konomex posted:

Pretty sure SA has had plenty of experience with that since 2013.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

bell jar posted:

Should the party just be like oh yeah it was cool those guys leaked, lets promote them, or what?

Kevin Rudd says yes

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Konomex posted:

I think Rob Lucas is the ONLY one left from the old Olson/Kerin era.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Konomex posted:

All new.

The one bright point is going to be watch Marshall try to negotiate stuff through the legislative council. On the issue of shopping hours deregulation he has already been talking about having a mandate so I expect a bit of a tantrum when the upper house doesn't support it.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
The Batman campaign was the final straw: why I quit the Greens.

"I disapprove of party in-fighting and leaking. That's why I'm writing a piece in The Age about how bad and toxic it is and why I'm quitting."

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

Hopefully he gets a shot at a federal seat at some point.

Jay has also spoken out against offshore detention so Jay For PM imho.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

They should get rid of them but it is poo poo optics when the leaks were around bullying. I don't even think that's what lost them the election anyway. They faced an extremely good candidate in an ALP heartland seat that was only going downhill as quickly as it was because Feeney is a terrible fuckhead. I'm glad the greens lost only because stupid Shorten announced that tax policy right beforehand and I don't want to see it shitcanned by all and sundry for allegedly losing a by election.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Batman is totally going to reach Trump-levels of restrospective assplay isn't it.

I mean, these things are rarely attributed to just one thing. There are so many factors in play that it's not really worth breaking your neck trying to analyse it and find somebody to blame.
Like, off the top of my head:

o Ged Kearney WAS a good candidate. The ALP responded correctly to a challenge from the left by going left.
o Leaks and criticism of Alex Bhatal as an establishment politician in the making really wouldn't have helped.
o David Feeney probably had as much to do with the trending swing towards the Greens as Alex Bhatal did.
o The ALP are wholesale more popular across the country than they were in 2016. If the election were held today, they would sweep the Coalition off the electoral map

It really is a shame, because I feel like getting a second MHR will really be a turning point for the Greens. Hopefully it does happen soon.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

Batman is totally going to reach Trump-levels of restrospective assplay isn't it.

Our born to rule party hack would've won

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-19/banking-royal-commission-commonwealth-bank-matt-comyn-email/9561728

quote:

The incoming chief of the Commonwealth Bank is expecting such an uncomfortable and confronting week at the royal commission he has written an email warning 14,000 of his retail staff to prepare.
"There will be cases highlighted next week where customers have been treated unfairly by us," Matt Comyn wrote.
"In many cases, our actions have had a significant impact on the financial and emotional wellbeing of our customers. This is unacceptable."
In the brief email, that repeated the messages of other bank bosses who wrote to their staff ahead of the royal commission's hearings, Mr Comyn addressed the bank's short comings and pledged to make good.
"Where we have made mistakes we must and will take responsibility for them, we will make things right for our customers, and not repeat the same mistakes," he said.
"We will exceed our regulatory and compliance obligations, and enhance the financial wellbeing of every single customer we serve."

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

They should get rid of them but it is poo poo optics when the leaks were around bullying. I don't even think that's what lost them the election anyway. They faced an extremely good candidate in an ALP heartland seat that was only going downhill as quickly as it was because Feeney is a terrible fuckhead. I'm glad the greens lost only because stupid Shorten announced that tax policy right beforehand and I don't want to see it shitcanned by all and sundry for allegedly losing a by election.

For me, personally, (I don't live in Batman, I'm in Goldstein), I had to sit down and ask myself whether I would still have voted for Bhathal despite the constant media regarding her allegedly toxic personality. It took me some time to decide that I would have still voted Greens -> Labor depsite the possibility of Bhathal being a lovely person, and I'm a rusted on Greens voter. I don't think it's much of a stretch to think that some amount of potential Greens votes were lost due to the toxic atmosphere around the personality of Bhathal.

It was always going to be a close result and down to the wire, and I'm certain that every thing counted there. Shorten and Labor did a really good job of pulling out a star candidate, but he also shot himself in the foot with his shifting Adani stance.

If the election was run without the Greens leaking, I know I personally would have had a much more positive association with Bhathal. The people leaking poo poo to the media saying things like "I'd rather that we lose the election than have this person represent us" absolutely need to be purged from the party because holy poo poo learn some fuckin solidarity. It was petty, badly timed, and incredibly damaging

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
there are a number “greens should take a stand!” takes floating around, am I correct in interpreting that these are tankies trying to take over?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Birdstrike posted:

there are a number “greens should take a stand!” takes floating around, am I correct in interpreting that these are tankies trying to take over?

Every person in every political party thinks they're in game of thrones/house of cards and is watching for the "enemy within".

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

I mean, these things are rarely attributed to just one thing. There are so many factors in play that it's not really worth breaking your neck trying to analyse it and find somebody to blame.
Like, off the top of my head:

o Ged Kearney WAS a good candidate. The ALP responded correctly to a challenge from the left by going left.
o Leaks and criticism of Alex Bhatal as an establishment politician in the making really wouldn't have helped.
o David Feeney probably had as much to do with the trending swing towards the Greens as Alex Bhatal did.
o The ALP are wholesale more popular across the country than they were in 2016. If the election were held today, they would sweep the Coalition off the electoral map

It really is a shame, because I feel like getting a second MHR will really be a turning point for the Greens. Hopefully it does happen soon.

I agree a lot with this, thought the Greens even beyond the leaks had problems with the campaign. Labor won because they were smart and did the right thing, selected the right candidate had good policy. Multitude of problems with the Greens campaign but there is already a growing push from the inside for a change in direction(without going full tankie). The big chance becomes Melbourne Ports now, seems highly unlikely that Unity would give up another seat and Danby is maybe even worse than Feeney.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

asio posted:

Every person in every political party thinks they're in game of thrones/house of cards and is watching for the "enemy within".

In fairness, there's usually a solid reason for that.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Konomex posted:

Rob lucas was a minister in the last Tory gov, the one that privatised everything and built a one way motorway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Richard Di Natale calls for purge after Greens defeat in Batman byelection

ruh roh

• Locked thread