Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arcsquad12 posted:

If they ever do a renaissance/early modern total war I absolutely want to see the Battle of Vienna

And the Cossack Rebellion, Great Northern War, and Poles v Turks. Basically any excuse to break out the Hussars.

Either Ultimate General is a terrific little game. I get my rear end kicked on the reg playing campaigns on Brigadier General. The Confederate campaign is a challenge just to get started, that fort is a nasty challenge on attack or defense. My advice, concentrate on keeping your troops intact more than on winning battles at first. Once you get two solid corps built up then its your turn to smack the AI around.

I don't care which they do first, Napoleon or American Revolution, I just want them to keep making games like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ZearothK posted:

I think Attila is the best historical game (caveat, I never played Shogun 2 due to lack of interest in the region), battles are way better than Rome 2 to me and the sieges and urban combat are at their best in the series, plus it has the hardest campaign layer of all the games in general, partly due to all the moving parts you have to balance in each region and partly because of corruption and the decaying climate (until you learn to embrace the goat). My major problem with it is that they really should have used a 64-bit engine for this release.

Yeah the siege battles are good, especially the fire stuff, running raider cavalry around towns lighting everything on fire is real cool.
Though minor settlements are MUCH harder to take cause they have loads of arrow towers and stuff which plays into the increased difficulty but to me a lot of Attila difficulty mechanics seem like theyre giving you the usual set of TW mechanics but every time you use them wasps fly out of the monitor attack your face and you don't get much to compensate.

If it had run as well as warhams I'd probably be way more positive about it.
I'm a little concerned that Britannia is based on it, since I was hype for new historical games on the warhams engine

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

mllaneza posted:

I don't care which they do first, Napoleon or American Revolution, I just want them to keep making games like that.

Yeah, I hope they always consider a game set in the 17th to 19th century now we got a poo poo load of continents, countries, wars and eras to mine for content gold.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ZearothK posted:

I think Attila is the best historical game (caveat, I never played Shogun 2 due to lack of interest in the region), battles are way better than Rome 2 to me and the sieges and urban combat are at their best in the series, plus it has the hardest campaign layer of all the games in general, partly due to all the moving parts you have to balance in each region and partly because of corruption and the decaying climate (until you learn to embrace the goat). My major problem with it is that they really should have used a 64-bit engine for this release.

I highly recommend you give Shogun a bash, if only to play with the extremely fun roster of FotS. It also has the single most satisfying victory song of the whole series IMHO.

AdmiralNeltharion
Feb 23, 2018
Between Shogun 2 and Warhammer, which is better?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Warhammer by almost any measure, unless you're REALLY into samurai and not orcs. Shogun 2 is still really good and has aged well though

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

AdmiralNeltharion posted:

You're just trying to start an argument aren't you?

Warhammer is the better pick if you want to focus on the grand spectacle of big colorful battles. Magic, monsters, and magic monsters add to the drama. You also never have to fight a naval battle, which is a huge bonus in its favor.

Shogun 2 is the "competitive" TW where its small scope and limited roster makes the game much more tightly designed. Pick this if you get a sexual thrill from comparing stat cards.

Going purely off of price point, the fact that you can get Vanilla S2 and FotS for the same price as either Warham, you're getting a better deal on Shogun.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, I hope they always consider a game set in the 17th to 19th century now we got a poo poo load of continents, countries, wars and eras to mine for content gold.

I'm really itching for another gunpowder game, I don't care if it's muskets or rifles, just something.

AdmiralNeltharion posted:

YMMV, I gave both an equal chance going in with about the same amount of interest in both settings (not a lot) but Shogun 2 somehow really clicked for me in a way Warhammer never has.

If we're including Fall of the Samurai then it's Shogun 2 by a mile because I love the cheap thrill of parking breach-loading rifled cannons on a hill and calling naval bombardments on mobs of peasants with spears and muskets slowly walking towards me.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

fall of the samurai is peak Total War but warhams is real fuckin' good too

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Generation Internet posted:

I'm really itching for another gunpowder game, I don't care if it's muskets or rifles, just something.
And this is why I'm interested in Ultimate General. :negative: I'll take a look at Gettysburg; thanks thread!

ZearothK posted:

Having played both, Shogun 2 is better but only because it has Fall as well, otherwise they'd be tied. Attila is just really solid.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Gotta give it to Warhamms, but only cause there is no boat spam, which is the only black mark on the whole of Shogun 2.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Don Gato posted:

I like it but I have trouble with any tactic more advanced than variations of "shoot a few volleys and then GIVE THEM STEEL"

I also have this issue in total war though, can't get my head around tactics between the 17th and 20th centuries.

For this very reason is why I can't fathom playing as the shogun forces. How the hell do those units stand up against Gatling guns and big boom artillery?

A question for the Shogun 2 gurus, did Realm Divide always effect vassals after the fact? I could have sworn they didn't get that if you made them one after it happened. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong. Or one of my mods screwed something up. Or I'm not using a mod that removed that.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Both Warhammer and Shogun 2 are the peak of the Total War series (honourable mention to Medieval 1, but the battle interface is a complete pain these days).

Jimbot posted:

A question for the Shogun 2 gurus, did Realm Divide always effect vassals after the fact? I could have sworn they didn't get that if you made them one after it happened. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong. Or one of my mods screwed something up. Or I'm not using a mod that removed that.

IIRC there are two breakpoints for Realm Divide opinion penalties - one when Realm Divide hits, and the other when you take Kyoto. If you make vassals after Realm Divide but before you take Kyoto, they'll start to hate you after you do take the city.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Beamed posted:

What was the thread consensus on Ultimate General? Assuming Civil War, since Gettysburg seems more scaled back in scope and polish.

Gettysburg has user-selected AI options and something like 30 different possible paths for your Gettsburg to proceed. Civil War has a longer campaign with army management stuff, but the battles don't have quite as much depth.

Jimbot posted:

For this very reason is why I can't fathom playing as the shogun forces. How the hell do those units stand up against Gatling guns and big boom artillery?

Gatlings aren't that good and the Shogunate guys get guns too. The melee units are just for flavour, they're a little overkill. Shogitai can be scary but they're fragile

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

John Charity Spring posted:

Both Warhammer and Shogun 2 are the peak of the Total War series (honourable mention to Medieval 1, but the battle interface is a complete pain these days).

IIRC there are two breakpoints for Realm Divide opinion penalties - one when Realm Divide hits, and the other when you take Kyoto. If you make vassals after Realm Divide but before you take Kyoto, they'll start to hate you after you do take the city.

Weird. It started happening a few turns after I turned them into vassals and I haven't yet taken Kyoto. Ah well, I like the idea of vassals in theory but it never seems to work out. Between Realm Divide and them not adopting your religion, it's just a temporary alliance for some quick cash flow before you have to kill them dead again. I hope they change that for the inevitable Shogun 3 (well, at least I hope they make a 3rd).

Speaking of religion, I did a 180 on Christianity. In a second game, I was more careful about converting and didn't have as much of a problem as before. Those nanban trade ships are the greatest thing. 3 of them in each fleet, put a general in each one and I get 30-40 exp per auto-resolve and no damage to any of my ships. Unless it's a cannon bune. For some reason auto-resolve has trouble with those 6? cannons compared to the 15 firing at one target at once.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Christianity is so much better than Buddhism in Shogun 2 that if it weren't for variety or not being assed to deal with naval stuff, I'd convert literally every game.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Koramei posted:

Christianity is so much better than Buddhism in Shogun 2 that if it weren't for variety or not being assed to deal with naval stuff, I'd convert literally every game.

The only reason I have not to convert is 'warrior monks'.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The shogunate forces are also primarily gun armed. They just don't have the same foreign backing and focus more on traditional stuff but they're still going to blow the crap out of you with cannons given the option.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
In the Fall of the Samurai multiplayer if you had a few veteran shogitai and used them correctly they could wipe entire armies.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A nice 30 minute look at the Britannia game.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm playing DeI and um, none of my Warhammer tactics are working. I think its the much larger unit sizes - I'll run a cavalry unit around to take out some slingers and the slingers just soak up the impact and then start grinding them down. Then my Hastati are routed by a bunch of Italian spearmen.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Party Elite also got some actual gameplay of ToB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0V7ge1Bfho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiKgZfCdmrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC9J-thrXvc

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

In the Fall of the Samurai multiplayer if you had a few veteran shogitai and used them correctly they could wipe entire armies.

Nothing made me happier than throwing meat shields of Spear Levy at the opponent's volley fires to soak up all of their bullets, leaving my Shogitai to wade in and completely solo their front lines :allears:

Also Revolver Calvary were monstrously good if you micro-managed well.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
One of the long vids that just came out claims Thrones of Britannia ends with either a Viking invasion, or the Norman one, or both, depending on your difficulty

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

V for Vegas posted:

I'm playing DeI and um, none of my Warhammer tactics are working. I think its the much larger unit sizes - I'll run a cavalry unit around to take out some slingers and the slingers just soak up the impact and then start grinding them down. Then my Hastati are routed by a bunch of Italian spearmen.

Alert: this became a wall of text, sorry, I am bored in a train station and enthusiastic.

Cavalry need to cycle charge, watch their kill counter after the charge and once they stop killing withdraw them, drag right click to position them ready for a charge (just giving them a usual move order they won't withdraw as effectively) then once theyre all there charge them again, repeat.

They should still be routing slingers 1v1 but Roman cav isn't that great until you get some good auxiliaries. Gaulic or Macedonian auxiliaries are probably the closest good cavalry. Cavalry is fairly fragile unless you're playing an eastern faction with cataphracts in which case theyre hard as nails.

In general DeI is quite diff from Warhammer, in Warhammer you select a strong unit and right click a weaker unit and it quickly deletes it with minimal losses. DeI is more about hammer and anvil and even tough infantry units will get bogged down by weaker ones. You can use this to your advantage by having a screen of crappy auxiliaries in front of your expensive pro units that will wear down the enemy.

Think of it as playing dwarves where your infantry are tough but not killy and they hold the enemy line while you put skirmishers or cav behind them. You gotta attack their butts to kill quickly in DeI (or use shock cav on weak units/non-peltast skirmishers) frontal attacks are slogs.

Cause I'm a huge nerdo DeI fan and I always like faction suggestions here are my fav factions:

Rome, obvs, best use of the auxiliary system, extremely strong units past the first reform.
Hayasdan, good unique unit selection, strong cav, automatic reforms(!).
Selukids, strong pike roster and big and wealthy start, good for playing as an Empire from the beginning.
Macedonia, early lancers, strong hoplites, positioned to strangle Rome in the crib.
Massalia, Greek barbarian hybrid positioned to smack barbs about.
Scordisci, huge varied roster of semi barbarians
Basilia Scythia, (sp?) horse Archer swarms, make the Greeks fear you.
Pontos, similar position to Hayasdan but with greek/persian hybrid roster so hoplites and hybrid melee archers, with extremely good auxiliary lancers.

Then there are the strong gimmick factions:
Rhodes, amazing slingers
Syracuse, amazing crossbows
Thracians, amazing shock infantry
Partha, amazing cataphracts
Numidia, amazing javelin cav
Nervii, amazing naked javelins
Best archers are Cretans or Syrians but can't play as Crete.

And finally, the best looking faction:
Medewi, awesome African roster that looks sweet on the march with early elephants and good javelins.

Theyre redoing Carthage soon which is good, it's a bit lackluster at the moment.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Krazyface posted:

One of the long vids that just came out claims Thrones of Britannia ends with either a Viking invasion, or the Norman one, or both, depending on your difficulty

That is brilliant. I really hope Thrones comes together as a cohesive whole.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Those shock weebs still surprise me in single player goddamn.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I had to laugh when in one of PartyElite's videos a single unit of something-or-others comes and conquers a minor settlement, raises an army from that minor settlement, and proceeds to ravage his backline for several turns before finally being caught and put down. All my flashbacks of Norscan raiders somehow just got worse, but also more fun somehow.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

One thing I love about Ultimate General is the ability to "draw" a frontline that you want your units to set up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would like to see a total war game take on that style of more limited army control. Instead of issuing direct orders to micromanage everything like a starcraft speed clicker you embrace the "no plan survives contact with the enemy" ethos. It's up to you as the general to know where to put your units, and then it is up to your units themselves to carry the day in individual actions, with their success rate and discipline based around experience and equipment.
If you're thinking that sounds exactly like what total war already does, you'd be right, but I'm still trying to work out how to make a more depersonalized grand battle game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I would like to see a total war game take on that style of more limited army control. Instead of issuing direct orders to micromanage everything like a starcraft speed clicker you embrace the "no plan survives contact with the enemy" ethos. It's up to you as the general to know where to put your units, and then it is up to your units themselves to carry the day in individual actions, with their success rate and discipline based around experience and equipment.
If you're thinking that sounds exactly like what total war already does, you'd be right, but I'm still trying to work out how to make a more depersonalized grand battle game.

Take a look at Command Ops 2 or Scourge of War for examples of that. Frog games do it often.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It might go to much towards the hands-off direction, but check out the first Gratuitous Space Battles game too. You design the ships, assign them pre-battle orders and engagement parameters and then just watch the pew-pew unfold.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’d love units to have at least basic self-preservation tactics they’d do automatically. If there is no one in front and an obvious flank happening, the company captain wheels to protect his unit’s flanks. If cav is trying to charge x but y is in the way, captain sounds the charge early instead of sacrificing a charge bonus. Etc

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Krazyface posted:

well that makes sense given the normans and norwegians both invaded in 1066. i guess given it starts at 868 that puts the game at 1 year per turn.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The invasion happens after you trigger your ultimate victory condition, so it can happen earlier than 1066. I also read it's multiple turns per year, actually.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ZearothK posted:

It might go to much towards the hands-off direction, but check out the first Gratuitous Space Battles game too. You design the ships, assign them pre-battle orders and engagement parameters and then just watch the pew-pew unfold.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’d love units to have at least basic self-preservation tactics they’d do automatically. If there is no one in front and an obvious flank happening, the company captain wheels to protect his unit’s flanks. If cav is trying to charge x but y is in the way, captain sounds the charge early instead of sacrificing a charge bonus. Etc

Both great ideas in a direction I'd love to go. Also a a selection of random choice events during campaign map that lets you play a meta game with your colonels in charge of these units. Might never happen with a game with this franchise though.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is Total War Arena any good :confused:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's ok but tbh it has the mark of death for me because it uses that godawful tier based system that should have died out years ago (think World of Tanks, straight upgrades as progression).

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The problem with the self directed AI stuff is when the AI starts doing stupid things you don't want it to do.

The UG:G AI had a real cute habit of backing out of high cover into open areas and getting shredded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

nopantsjack posted:

I wrote a page or two ago about how that wasn't gonna come out and it looks like I'm wrong. First release will likely be soon

It looks like divide et impera but on the Attila engine which sounds... worse? The worst part of Attila is it's engine. It really needed a modern 64bit client.
The best part was it's time period but this is just set in Rome 2 time.

I still hope it'll be good but looking at it I was just like "hmm why?" it's a huge effort and I don't see the reward and the devs seem to be like "we ported it from Rome 2, hopefully it'll be worth it...?"

Can you explain what you mean by engine issues? I know it is hot garbage for Rome 2, since it was designed for Empire Total War, which was a bunch of guys forming a line and shooting one another from across the map, which results in hand-to-hand combat in Rome 2 being total poo poo.

Personally I have never been a huge fan of the Attila time period, but I can see why it is interesting to some people. I'm just looking forward to the family tree, advisor/political trees, and other minor backend stuff. Hopefully other new features like hordes don't poo poo the game up, otherwise yes, I will go back to DeI for Rome 2. I swear, that mod makes the game one of my top Total War games.