Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My wife and I are looking into buying a nice, comfy futon, hopefully for less than $200. We're looking for a good place to sit together, maybe nap, and a place where we can just relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I’m looking for a programmable, I don’t really know what to call them, like those little pro-gamer miniature ergonomic keyboards with a bunch of macro keys all over them.

Like this thing:

I wanna start playing some
old CRPG‘s, but cannot retrain my hands to use the arrow keys and not WSAD. Like, I don’t really want to spend 125 bucks unless that is what it takes to get one that isn’t junk.

Failing any specific recommendation, I would love it if someone could point me at a site that reviews gamer poo poo like this that isn’t complete garbage as they all seem to be at first glance.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Anyone have recommendations for a quality travel toothbrush?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

I’m looking for a programmable, I don’t really know what to call them, like those little pro-gamer miniature ergonomic keyboards with a bunch of macro keys all over them.
Sorry I can't tell you what a good one is, but I would recommend avoiding the Logitech G13 at least. It looks rather nice, but it felt like complete garbage. It seemed like every key was a different type of switch, and the little analog nub is way too tiny and vertical to use without a significant level of discomfort or awkwardness. I don't know how this was the best-selling and highest recommended one, unless all the other ones are made by preschoolers from Harbor Freight parts.

I usually see them called gaming keypads.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I have no idea if such a service exists, but does anyone know if it's possible to get a book reproduced on canvas?

For a while now I've been wanting to get Dinotopia printed on canvas, with hand drawn/painted artwork because I think it would be a trip using it to make a kid think it was written by an ancestor.

Is there a place that does this, or am I just slightly insane for wanting this?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bongwizzard posted:

Like this thing:

old CRPG‘s, but cannot retrain my hands to use the arrow keys and not WSAD. Like, I don’t really want to spend 125 bucks unless that is what it takes to get one that isn’t junk.

Failing any specific recommendation, I would love it if someone could point me at a site that reviews gamer poo poo like this that isn’t complete garbage as they all seem to be at first glance.

Get one of those? Most old-school CRPG should allow to use the number block as cursor IIRC:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

bongwizzard posted:

Like this thing:

The keyboard thread might have some ideas.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I need new jack of all trades master of none minimalist shoes. Hit me with some recommendations please. Most important thing is a wide very comfortable ball/toe box. I like my Vibrams a lot but the size isn’t exactly perfect so before grabbing another pair I might as well see what else exists. The Xero Prio shoes caught my eye. I’ve also heard some good things about Vivobarefoot and Merrell though I don’t know much about either.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fall Dog posted:

I have no idea if such a service exists, but does anyone know if it's possible to get a book reproduced on canvas?

For a while now I've been wanting to get Dinotopia printed on canvas, with hand drawn/painted artwork because I think it would be a trip using it to make a kid think it was written by an ancestor.

Is there a place that does this, or am I just slightly insane for wanting this?

You can try finding a local artist, it doesn’t sound too hard but it likely won’t be cheap depending on how well you want it done. You mean just the book cover? Or a portrait of an ancestor holding the book like they wrote it? That sounds pretty funny.

Also AliExpress has plenty of artists who do custom painting, you just have to be very specific and give good references to work from so you leave as little up to them as possible.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Snowy posted:

You can try finding a local artist, it doesn’t sound too hard but it likely won’t be cheap depending on how well you want it done. You mean just the book cover? Or a portrait of an ancestor holding the book like they wrote it? That sounds pretty funny.

Also AliExpress has plenty of artists who do custom painting, you just have to be very specific and give good references to work from so you leave as little up to them as possible.

Uhh no I mean like the entire book printed on canvas/sail cloth and hand bound or whatever so it looks like the a personal journal that's been written by a great great grandfather from shipwreck scraps.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Hand printed or printed by a modern mechanical printer in an old timey font?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
This sounds like $10,000+ custom job, honestly

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You could go a semi-DIY route, as there are tutorials out there for pretty much anything. And if/when you're stuck with things you just can't do yourself, hire an artist, either a local one or someone overseas who'll work on Fiverr or some similar service. My one experience hiring someone to do simple Illustrator stuff on Fiverr was positive, but I'm sure it's a crapshoot.

Not that going DIY is guaranteed to be a whole lot cheaper than hiring a pro. It sure as hell won't be faster.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

kgibson posted:

Any one you like.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fall Dog posted:

Uhh no I mean like the entire book printed on canvas/sail cloth and hand bound or whatever so it looks like the a personal journal that's been written by a great great grandfather from shipwreck scraps.

I would take a class in bookbinding and DIY because it’s an insane thing to commission unless you’re ready to burn money. As someone who actually does make things look old like that and has taken bookbinding classes, it’s fun and I recommend it. Maybe just start with one short chapter of the book, doing the whole thing is a little ridiculous tbh.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I need a very good neck pillow. I'm going to be on a 18 hour flight and a very long train ride soon. Any suggestions for something on Amazon?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Well shoot. The look I had in my mind was something like where a movie has someone pulling out a dusty old tome. I do kinda like the idea of doing it myself over the course of a couple of years, even if it seems weird.

I just think it would make for a really good prank and also probably destroy my child's trust in me.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

obi_ant posted:

I need a very good neck pillow. I'm going to be on a 18 hour flight and a very long train ride soon. Any suggestions for something on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Cabeau-Evolu...rds=neck+pillow

This thing is awesome. It’s a huge step up from the cheap bean bag filled ones.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

obi_ant posted:

After spending 20+ hours on planes in the last week, I'm wary of big neck pillows now. I grabbed a standard foam pillow at an airport gift shop and never managed to get comfortable 'cause coach seats, even bulkhead or Economy+ seats, don't recline enough to fit a regular neck pillow between your neck and the seat without pushing your head forward. My wife travels a lot for work and had one of these and it was so much better than mine, both because of the chin support and the smaller thickness/circumference in the back. I'll definitely be buying one before my next long trip.

I do like that the one posted above squashes down into a little travel bag though. Having a big rear end neck pillow hanging off your bag/backpack the whole trip sucks.

Lawen has a new favorite as of 17:55 on Mar 18, 2018

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Sportman posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Cabeau-Evolu...rds=neck+pillow

This thing is awesome. It’s a huge step up from the cheap bean bag filled ones.

I was looking at this one too. Can you wear headphones while this is on? I have some big ones that I wanted to bring...

Lawen posted:

After spending 20+ hours on planes in the last week, I'm wary of big neck pillows now. I grabbed a standard foam pillow at an airport gift shop and never managed to get comfortable 'cause coach seats, even bulkhead or Economy+ seats, don't recline enough to fit a regular neck pillow between your neck and the seat without pushing your head forward. My wife travels a lot for work and had one of these and it was so much better than mine, both because of the chin support and the smaller thickness/circumference in the back. I'll definitely be buying one before my next long trip.

I do like that the one posted above squashes down into a little travel bag though. Having a big rear end neck pillow hanging off your bag/backpack the whole trip sucks.

Thanks I'll probably pick this one out for the wife, as I know she'll try to steal mine if she doesn't have her own.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

obi_ant posted:

I got one of those obnoxious inflatable lean forward things for a 36 hour trek to Cambodia and it was pretty decent and I'm sure entertaining for many of my planemates.

https://www.amazon.com/FAMY-Inflata...BBWRK3SWRM7MV74

You will look like a dumb rear end in a top hat, but it works.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fall Dog posted:

Well shoot. The look I had in my mind was something like where a movie has someone pulling out a dusty old tome. I do kinda like the idea of doing it myself over the course of a couple of years, even if it seems weird.

I just think it would make for a really good prank and also probably destroy my child's trust in me.

That kind of production is very expensive or time-consuming.

For reference, the journals in Se7en are all handwritten and completely filled out. It took a team somethibg like 6 months to do it.

To make a canvas book and recreating an entire novel would be an incredible feat for one person if done in a short amount of time.

Even screen printing each page would be a huge effort.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

obi_ant posted:

I was looking at this one too. Can you wear headphones while this is on? I have some big ones that I wanted to bring...

I hav Bose QC25s and you can wear them, although the pillow will definitely push up on the cups. Not enough to move them or anything, and still comfortable.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

kgibson posted:

https://www.rei.com/product/737990/aurelle-toob-brush These are pretty cool

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

That kind of production is very expensive or time-consuming.

For reference, the journals in Se7en are all handwritten and completely filled out. It took a team somethibg like 6 months to do it.

To make a canvas book and recreating an entire novel would be an incredible feat for one person if done in a short amount of time.

Even screen printing each page would be a huge effort.

It’s not a novel, it’s a fictional journal.

It’s still quite a few pages though, maybe just do the first section of the story? It would be kind of a pity though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Organza Quiz posted:

It’s not a novel, it’s a fictional journal.

It’s still quite a few pages though, maybe just do the first section of the story? It would be kind of a pity though.

It's 192 pages.
No matter how you slice it, that's an enormous amount of work.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Look at it this way, it's probably 3-4h to do a good job recreating a single page. Given the specialized materials and that it has to be done by hand, 200-300 per page sounds fair to me. Bulk discount doesn't apply since the only thing in bulk would be raw materials, but a lower rate in exchange for solid work would put that in the 15-30k range and take around 20 dedicated weeks to compete

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Can't put a price on the 10 seconds of confusion experienced by a small child, though.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

It's honestly an awesome idea for a project though. Personally, I would spend a couple months learning about bookbinding and researching every possible detail. By the end, you should know exactly what kind of inks and paper would be right for something like this.

Then I would found a small bespoke publishing house with a cool name, like "Seven Silver Curses" or something. Pay a millennial to design a slick website on Squarespace and "borrow" the logo from a defunct 18th century publishing house. This will cost almost nothing.

Then I would contact the publishers of Dinotopia and explain I am a bespoke publishing house looking to recreate beloved children's books as if they were 18th century artifacts. This is the toughest part but I bet you could convince them since it would be great publicity.

Then I would start a kickstarter for $25,000 to get the first run printed. I guarantee you there are some rich-rear end nerds that would throw down major bank for something like this. We're talking like a year or so of nights/weekend work all-in, but the result would be a real accomplishment. Doesn't sound insane to me!

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Also, I would probably throw the launch party at The Explorer's Club in NYC and get a few brands to sponsor it for around $200k. You know how many celebrities and famous people loved Dinotopia as a kid? Get 'em on the guest list and the brands will come flocking. That's all your expenses paid right there.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Daylight Savings has ruined my mornings, so I'm looking for one of those Sunrise lights that slowly get brighter and brighter. A lot of the sunrise alarms are about $30 on Amazon, which is doable, but if there is a cheaper option then I'm all for it. I don't need sound or a clock (not that those are dealbreakers), just light that turns on at a set time and slowly gets brighter. (I do have an Alexa, but no smart lights).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I was considering a sunrise lamp, but ended up getting Hue bulbs. My alarm app (Sleep as Android) supports using them and that is all pretty seamless. I also have a "Smart Dimmer" switch from them that makes them useful for normal lighting (who wants to turn on their lights with their phone?), but you can use the Alexa for that I think.

I like the Hue bulbs quite a bit, but there is a danger that you will suddenly find you need more and more Hue bulbs.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I just have them scheduled and my routine is consistent enough that I almost never need to open the Hue app.

One drawback though is that if you have a power outage in the middle of the night, when the power comes back all your Hue bulbs will be on at 100%. Has happened only a couple times to me so it's not a huge deal, but I didn't expect it to work that way for some reason.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I think the Kickstarer plan could be viable, but this:

the black husserl posted:

Then I would contact the publishers of Dinotopia and explain I am a bespoke publishing house looking to recreate beloved children's books as if they were 18th century artifacts. This is the toughest part but I bet you could convince them since it would be great publicity.

sounds like it would be like pulling teeth or completely wipe out any profitability for the person organizing it. I have a feeling that copyright holders are a humourless and/or viciously protective bunch.

In general though, I agree there's something there. If you were to go the route of significantly/creatively re-imagining some recognizable property and provide a high-end product, I'd bet there's a market for it. I recently mainlined a bunch of videos by a woodblock printer who (in collaboration with a designer) produced a bunch of "video game characters reproduced in Japanese woodblock printing style" prints. Here's a Mario Kart example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bHomYLrTME

I'm not a big enough fan of these games to get the prints (mostly watched for the technique because I'm a wannabe printmaker myself), but this was apparently hugely successful on Kickstarter. Nerds with money, as mentioned before.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Simone Poodoin posted:

One drawback though is that if you have a power outage in the middle of the night, when the power comes back all your Hue bulbs will be on at 100%. Has happened only a couple times to me so it's not a huge deal, but I didn't expect it to work that way for some reason.

Mine go to their previous setting when power cycled. They do turn on, but if I had them at 40% they come on at 40%. Maybe it is an option somewhere.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Trabant posted:

sounds like it would be like pulling teeth or completely wipe out any profitability for the person organizing it. I have a feeling that copyright holders are a humourless and/or viciously protective bunch.

James Gurney? He's not humourless at all, he's a cool dude who runs a rad blogspot. You wouldn't be taking his copyright or anything, you'd just be a passionate fan and DIY bookbinder with a great idea to make a CRAZY SPECIAL EDITION of his book for ultimate fans. I don't think it'd be that hard to sell him on it if you had a half-decent proposal deck.

OK I have no idea why I'm taking this so seriously and I'm definitely going to stop now. Btw if anyone wants to invest in my company that makes expensive versions of things rich nerds loved in their childhoods, pls PM me.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My apartment has no air conditioning and I live on right on a main road so I can’t open the windows without tons of noise. Looking for a cooling solution - I guess a portable air conditioner.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
What type of window do you have? If you can avoid the portable A/Cs as they are not worth the money unless it is your only option. Expensive, heavy, noisy, and super inefficient. Definitely, opt for a window based unit if you are able to.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m renting and the lease says no window units allowed. I have pretty tall horizontal windows so I’m also not sure the exhaust strip from a portable unit can be installed without gaps either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

dantheman650 posted:

I’m renting and the lease says no window units allowed. I have pretty tall horizontal windows so I’m also not sure the exhaust strip from a portable unit can be installed without gaps either.

Cardboard and duct tape are your friends.