Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The AI just doesn't understand aggressive, exponential growth curves. That's why they get bonuses, they need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Is this a known bug? I was happily pushing back a marauder state after the Great Khan event, nothing was in the negative, my fleets were making rather short work of them, and when I went to push into one of their home systems, I got the "you agreed to become a satrapy" popup - even though I had done no such thing. I immediately declared independence, though it didn't stop the game from spawning two big huge gently caress-off marauder fleets in my home system. When I went to go clear out my home system a few months later, the popup happened again, and more fleets spawned! This does not seem... normal...

EDIT: I restored an earlier save, and I'm going to try to replicate it by attacking one of their home systems as well. Best guess is that somehow the event that triggers the Great Khan event when you blow up one of their stations must have inadvertently triggered the become a satrapy event.

HappyKitty fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 19, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

wiegieman posted:

The AI just doesn't understand aggressive, exponential growth curves. That's why they get bonuses, they need them.

I really have no idea how the AI is coded but as a player I'm not really doing any insane high level math to figure out my farms. I have 3 farm AI routines that can possibly run, in order of priority.
1: My food is in the negatives, can I build more farms on empty tiles? If yes I do so, if no I replace existing buildings with farms depending on what I have in excess. That lab on a +2 food tile is probably getting converted into a farm.
2: My food is in a comfortable positive, don't really need to do anything but if I'm settling a new planet keep that comfortable level by plopping a farm or two or three if there's good food tiles.
3: TOO MUCH FOOD. Why am I at +70 food??? Maybe I annexed some AI planets, maybe my farming tech has gone up a few times, regardless I have too much. So start replacing farms with other buildings in order of how bad the tile is for farming. Replace no-bonus tiles with something else. Slowly trim excess food until I've reached the comfortable food zone.

Why's it so hard for the AI to do the same? Food should be the one thing the AI has no problem figuring out as it's such a set and predictable need that you can generally always fulfill locally. Just settled a size 18 planet? Make sure to build 18 worth of food. Even if you hit negative food your stockpile should give you more than enough time to replace a couple buildings with farms as needed. Starvation should NOT affect farm production though, that's just insane and asking for the AI to poo poo the bed and get stuck. Either make population go down from starvation or make starvation not effect food production.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

So, a devouring swarm just surrendered to a enigmantic observers type fallen empire, and now that empire owns a quarter of the galaxy. Is that supposed to happen?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GoGoGadget posted:

So for those looking for the DLC on sale, this site seems to have Utopia and Leviathans 50% off, among other things like Apocalypse 12% off. I've never used this site before, but everything I've read about it makes it seem legit. Gonna pick these up from here.

Edit: Just got Leviathans and Utopia for $17.14 total with the code SPRING10

Hnnngh, why do these deals always come up in the back half of the month?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
How does one Devouring Swarm? I've been mulling over a concept for one, and after seeing them operate in a multiplayer game, I definitely want to try them out in singleplayer, but I've never done one of the purge civs before.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

GunnerJ posted:

Would be cool if any design upgrade appended a "Mk. 3" or some poo poo maybe to the class name.

I do this every time I update my robotic race, which made it really funny when I was on v4 and ran into another robot empire using the same race name.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

This is a pretty good patch mechanically but holy gently caress is it buggy.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Kestral posted:

How does one Devouring Swarm? I've been mulling over a concept for one, and after seeing them operate in a multiplayer game, I definitely want to try them out in singleplayer, but I've never done one of the purge civs before.

Move in, eat everyone, enjoy the massive population growth bonus.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Blorange posted:

So, a devouring swarm just surrendered to a enigmantic observers type fallen empire, and now that empire owns a quarter of the galaxy. Is that supposed to happen?

I don't know how they enforced it with the -1000 modifier but since devouring swarms only have total war CBs, agreeing to it means they instantly cede all of their territory.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

I really have no idea how the AI is coded but as a player I'm not really doing any insane high level math to figure out my farms. I have 3 farm AI routines that can possibly run, in order of priority.
1: My food is in the negatives, can I build more farms on empty tiles? If yes I do so, if no I replace existing buildings with farms depending on what I have in excess. That lab on a +2 food tile is probably getting converted into a farm.
2: My food is in a comfortable positive, don't really need to do anything but if I'm settling a new planet keep that comfortable level by plopping a farm or two or three if there's good food tiles.
3: TOO MUCH FOOD. Why am I at +70 food??? Maybe I annexed some AI planets, maybe my farming tech has gone up a few times, regardless I have too much. So start replacing farms with other buildings in order of how bad the tile is for farming. Replace no-bonus tiles with something else. Slowly trim excess food until I've reached the comfortable food zone.

Why's it so hard for the AI to do the same? Food should be the one thing the AI has no problem figuring out as it's such a set and predictable need that you can generally always fulfill locally. Just settled a size 18 planet? Make sure to build 18 worth of food. Even if you hit negative food your stockpile should give you more than enough time to replace a couple buildings with farms as needed. Starvation should NOT affect farm production though, that's just insane and asking for the AI to poo poo the bed and get stuck. Either make population go down from starvation or make starvation not effect food production.

Things that are easy for people can be difficult for computers, and vice versa.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Kestral posted:

You get a nice fleet cap bonus (33%), along with some stuff like auto-hull regen, +25% ship hull, -15% ship cost, and +40% army damage. So you have more ships with more hp and they regen, letting you muscle out the competition early on. Even when you're getting ganged up on 2-v-1 you've got decent chances provided you stay on the defensive for a while (I survived a 2-v-1 against equivalents and actually took a decent chunk of territory by defending till they ran up their war exhaustion, grabbed systems I wanted and sued for a status-quo peace).

You're not effected by happiness, and you don't have to spend influence on wars, so consider things like very adaptable and the +influence civic to be able to rapidly expand. Mastery of Nature is actually quite good, as you don't have an energy sink (extra edicts cost food -don't forget to raise your food storage cap-, and you can't trade with neutral stations) and the no-cost on war means you'll have spare influence.

Hive minds in general get +25% growth so you don't need rapid growth on your pops. If you go down the genetic ascension tree (only tree option available) you'll be able to mod your guys to have very strong ( +40% army dmg, +10% minerals), robust (+30% hab, +50 leader lifespan, +5% resource production), and erudite (+2 level cap, +20% science). Also when you capture a planet you can mod the natural pops to be delicious for an even bigger food boost. Don't worry about modding your biomes, you're looking at 60% base before techs. If you take repugnant that is a free 1 trait point because everyone hates you already. The other negative trait to start with is the increased cost to resettle, because hive minds get a reduction to that.

You have a lot of options for the order you do your traditions, notable things to point out is that instead of a paradise dome you get a 2 energy, 2 unity, +5% production building (production modifiers effect everything - food/energy/minerals/science/unity), and the adaptability tree nets you up to +30% unity along with farms producing 1 mineral (allowing you to also grab the minerals produced off of tiles). I'm a big fan of discovery->adaptability->superiority, but most orders work just fine depending on your neighbors.

In terms of taking planets, you'll want to do 2 things. First off, have 100 influence to enact the -unrest planet civic (or don't, but you'll be getting half your food bonus). Second, you'll want to resettle at least 1 pop of your race onto the planet. If it is completely full see if you have a space to resettle one of those off so you have room. Otherwise, you'll have a chance because the pops don't all die off at once, but when they do it'll be fairly quick.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So um I encountered something very odd and I'm wondering if this is a bug or something anyone's ever seen before.

I was ignoring the other side of the galaxy the whole game and I just got a message that the materialist fallen empire has awoken. I immediately zoom to the event location because it reminded me that I have no idea where the FE's on my map were this whole time. I then realize that this now awoken empire controls a good quarter of the galaxy already. I was vaguely aware of a large blob forming over there, but what I didn't know is that all this time it was a fallen empire that had been blobbing somehow. It looks like they got most of their territory by destroying a machine empire.

I've never seen a fallen empire expand their territory, how is this possible?? Some special or unintended interaction between materialist FE and machine civ?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Baronjutter posted:

So um I encountered something very odd and I'm wondering if this is a bug or something anyone's ever seen before.

I was ignoring the other side of the galaxy the whole game and I just got a message that the materialist fallen empire has awoken. I immediately zoom to the event location because it reminded me that I have no idea where the FE's on my map were this whole time. I then realize that this now awoken empire controls a good quarter of the galaxy already. I was vaguely aware of a large blob forming over there, but what I didn't know is that all this time it was a fallen empire that had been blobbing somehow. It looks like they got most of their territory by destroying a machine empire.

I've never seen a fallen empire expand their territory, how is this possible?? Some special or unintended interaction between materialist FE and machine civ?

Could have been the Machine civ actually declared war on the FE and in order to finish the war, the FE had to take over their territory?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

IAmTheRad posted:

Could have been the Machine civ actually declared war on the FE and in order to finish the war, the FE had to take over their territory?

Yeah I'm thinking if anything sent the two at war the FE would have auto-annexed every system/planet they took? But I'm pretty sure the machine civ was not an exterminator or assimilator, they were just the poor "Meklon" MOO race I had made so they would't have had the "end theat" CB/mechanic.

Wish I had kept a closer eye on the area. Oh well now they're awake and own about 1/4 of the galaxy already.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What sort of civics (with the civics redux mod included) would make for a good representation of a Lizard Aztec empire?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Don't know about whats in civics redux, but I'd look at some sort of spiritualist/militarist govt setup. Maybe spiritualist+militarist+authoritarian, imperial cult, and then take your pick of [warrior culture][philosopher king][nationalistic zeal].

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there a way to declare only one subtype of a species as undesirables? I have some chill genetically-engineered mollusc buddies and I am about to swat their annoying idiot rebel cousins, but I don't want a bunch of unhappy pops.

Or am I just going to have to neutron sweep them and take the opinion hit?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Most of the planets I invade have seemingly purposefully bad building placement - worse than if they had just been using the default sector AI. They don't seem to respect tile bonuses or specialize, so there will be powerplants on mineral squares and mines on energy tiles - sometimes on the same planet.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 19, 2018

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Skyl3lazer posted:

This is a pretty good patch mechanically but holy gently caress is it buggy.

Not so sure it's mechanically good, it made the game much more stale than it used to be - there are fewer wars and in wars that do happen not as much territory changes hands. You can build a defensive station stronger than the combined fleet strength of the opponent relatively easily, even though AI doesn't tend to do that it is also usually smart enough to not try going through a station like that if you make one.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
If you get a leader with the Secure the Borders agenda and pair that with Eternal Vigilance, you can get some pretty heft border fortresses.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Agrarian idyll + inward perfection is kind of hilarious since it's easier to switch ethics out of fanatic pacifist hell now. Since their diplomacy/domination traditions are modified to not include diplomacy, you get one that gives you +1 minerals on farms in addition to the +1 unity and +food. This means that if you put farms next to your planet capitals, you get +3 minerals, +5 food (on a level one farm) and +1 unity. The massive unity and growth modifiers mean you can bum rush your pops onto anything with a surface as fast as you can build stations out to planets, and the huge food surplus you get means you get even more explosive population growth while not being short on mineral income.

Fanatic pacifist + maximum happiness + robust puts me at +35% resource production (with +45% to unity from fertile) in addition to all of that. :getin:

I was playing a multiplayer game with another person as a fast growth / very adaptive devouring swarm built to grow population as quickly as possible by just invading planets, and my yokel farmer birds managed to keep up in population growth with them through sheer agricultural power, which also puts me on par with them militarily despite them having invaded four to five AI empires already.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 19, 2018

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
I actually found the +5 starbase ascension perk useful for the first time in the fanatical purifier game I’m running now. I missed every one system chokepoint to the next spiral arm and needed to double up on star bases in order to fight through a three way alliance that would crush my fleets in the field but could not stand up against 9 torpedo platforms backing them up. It should still give a unique starbase module/building to be a bit more flavorful as a pick though. Some sort of boost to hyper lane registrar so that it boosts surrounding systems as well/buffs sunlight speed would let you actually build interstellar highways with all your extra star bases.

This mid game should be fun, sanctuary is 4 jumps from my home world and a ruined ring world is another couple jumps away.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Commoners posted:

Agrarian idyll + inward perfection is kind of hilarious since it's easier to switch ethics out of fanatic pacifist hell now. Since their diplomacy/domination traditions are modified to not include diplomacy, you get one that gives you +1 minerals on farms in addition to the +1 unity and +food. This means that if you put farms next to your planet capitals, you get +3 minerals, +5 food (on a level one farm) and +1 unity. The massive unity and growth modifiers mean you can bum rush your pops onto anything with a surface as fast as you can build stations out to planets, and the huge food surplus you get means you get even more explosive population growth while not being short on mineral income.

I had an amazing run doing this, except I made the mistake of getting the colossus project, which stripped away all my CBs after I had switched away from fanatic pacifist and enabled liberation wars. I think this is a bug.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

How do you "switch away" from certain ethics mid game? I've seen a bunch of people post about it but I have no idea how I would go about doing it.

Also, completely unrelated: Does the number of Shipyards affect the refit rate?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How do you "switch away" from certain ethics mid game? I've seen a bunch of people post about it but I have no idea how I would go about doing it.

Embrace a faction, your ethics will shift towards their ethics.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

You can embrace a faction, which will swap out your least popular ethic (the one with the least pops) for the faction's ethic.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Go to the Factions menu (F7) and select 'manage faction'. The tooltip for 'embrace faction' will tell you what ethic each faction represents. The faction needs to be at least 20% of your pop, so you'll likely have to spend influence 'promoting' it and 'suppressing' the bigger factions.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I think the number of Shipyards just shows how many fleets you can refit simultaneously.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Tokamak posted:

Go to the Factions menu (F7) and select 'manage faction'. The tooltip for 'embrace faction' will tell you what ethic each faction represents. The faction needs to be at least 20% of your pop, so you'll likely have to spend influence 'promoting' it and 'suppressing' the bigger factions.

Did they change it? Pretty sure it only needed the ethic to have at least 20% attraction the last time I did it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ulmont posted:

I think the number of Shipyards just shows how many fleets you can refit simultaneously.

I really wish if you had 4 shipyards free it would use them all to update 4x as fast. I think splitting the fleet up and refitting that way is quicker but so many unneeded clicks.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Grouchio posted:

What sort of civics (with the civics redux mod included) would make for a good representation of a Lizard Aztec empire?

Idk what that mod adds but for vanilla Imperial Cult + Slaver Guilds makes sense to me

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Is the AI food implosion thing fixed in any beta patch or mod I could download. Clicking around and I noticed about 1/3 of the dudes in the galaxy are forevereally starving and loving it.

Alternatively, grab this mod and starvation will actually start killing pops so things will actually balance out eventually.

(that said, one of the AI mods or a difficulty boost may also help the AI actually build enough farms)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

I really wish if you had 4 shipyards free it would use them all to update 4x as fast. I think splitting the fleet up and refitting that way is quicker but so many unneeded clicks.
This is why I was asking. I thought it would be funny (and a good way to get around defensive pacts) to have a huuuuuge fleet of un-fit ships. Insult the 'target' and wait there with a lovely fleet. Once they wardec, re-equip fleet and deploy.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

The best option is when you get the Wyrm storyline while doing this strategy. Free switch of your entire pops ethos so you can easily embrace the new single faction with little downside.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

imweasel09 posted:

I don't know how they enforced it with the -1000 modifier but since devouring swarms only have total war CBs, agreeing to it means they instantly cede all of their territory.

The Fallen Empire used the 'Punishment' CB, which doesn't have the -1000 modifier for surrender. Combining that with the always total wars vs. an exterminator type empires and that swarm was toast.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Baronjutter posted:

It already does work this way in my experience. I had 2 identical fleets stationed above two starbases with 2 vs 6 shipyards set to upgrade to the newest designs. The 6 slip yard over my capital finished noticeably sooner.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Things that are easy for people can be difficult for computers, and vice versa.

Food is not one of those cases

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

fundamentally, the issue is that the AI does not pay much attention to its status while building things, right now. it says "i want to build a building", chooses a tile, puts down a building that is valid on that type of tile based on various weighting factors for each building/tile resource combination, and then moves on. if you tighten up the weighting compared to the unmodded AI, then the results are better; but it is still essentially enacting a pre-designed economic strategy that is not very reactive to any deficits it may be experiencing, especially because the AI rarely re-evaluates a tile to see if it should replace the building on it (swap a farm for a paradise dome, replace extra farms if there was a food crisis that has since passed, that sort of thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Crazyeyes24 posted:

It already does work this way in my experience. I had 2 identical fleets stationed above two starbases with 2 vs 6 shipyards set to upgrade to the newest designs. The 6 slip yard over my capital finished noticeably sooner.

Oh that's good to know! But man does a late-game fleet take a long time to upgrade, even something simple like new sensors.