Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I have a few that I didn't see on any list:

- Super Eyepatch Wolf
- History Buffs
- FourStarBento (maybe)
- Maven of the Eventide
--Neon Harbor (Ed Glaser)
- Rantasmo
- Renegade Cut
- Tony Goldmark (Some Jerk With a Camera)
- Weekly Manga Recap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

I'd like to also throw the following in...

Larry Bundy Jr.
Daniel Ibbertson (Slope's Game Room)
Nostalgia Nerd
Pushing Up Roses
Ahoy
OSW Review

If you need help for descriptions with anything I will be happy to oblige :)

Indeed. Links to relevant YouTube pages, Patreons, and websites would certainly be of use, as well a brief description of what each critic does and maybe who they are (if relevant).

Dingadingadingadingadingadingadingadingadinga

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Works for me, Ill start (re)compiling all of that and get the new thread up and running something in the next 2-3 days.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Indeed. Links to relevant YouTube pages, Patreons, and websites would certainly be of use, as well a brief description of what each critic does and maybe who they are (if relevant).

Null perspiration, chummer. I'll add them in to my post.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I should really leave this to Zedd, but my only stipulations for submitting critics for the OP would be 1) No alt-right/Nazi/Nazi-adjacent critics or internet personalities (not that I imagine anyone here would submit one, even as a joke), and 2) If you're going to submit someone still affiliated with Channel Awesome, please link directly to their YouTube/ect. page or their off-site if they have one.

Linking to Channel Awesome itself should be an absolute last resort if they have literally no other host for their content available.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Kim Justice posted:

Null perspiration, chummer. I'll add them in to my post.

I'll do some on my list too.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

nine-gear crow posted:

Dingadingadingadingadingadingadingadingadinga

IM YOUR DAD

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ashens-Reviews cheap things found in british dollar stores and talks about micro computer games sometimes.
Youtube

Contrapoints-Problematic trans woman talks about problematic political topics. Youtube Patreon

Extra Credits-Video Game Industry insiders lecture about game design, making video games, issues the industry faces and historic events. Youtube Pateron

Movies with Mikey-Lovable doof talks about the movies he loves. Youtube Pateron

Jon Bois-Pretty Good videos about rarely told sport stories. Youtube

Kim Justice-All you ever wanted to know about british home gaming and micro computers. Youtube Pateron

Night Mind-A furry showing off the best (And not so best) in horror web series. Youtube Pateron

Noah Caldwell-Gervais-Game analysis’ equivalent to a college professor lecturing a class. While traveling cross country in a VW Bus.
Youtube Pateron

Peter Coffin-Talks about how capitalism sucks and makes fun of commercials with his wife. Youtube Pateron

Philosophy Tube-A philosphy major teaches you all about philosophy so you don’t have to waste your time and money on expensive colleges. Youtube Pateron

Shawn-Pokes fun at the Alt-Right. Also does streams with his friend Jen. Youtube Pateron

Wisecrack-Pop Philosophy on your favorite pop culture. Youtube Pateron

Jim Sterling-Weekly Editorials on why the AAA gaming industry sucks and deep dives into the bowels of Steam. Youtube Pateron

That's all the ones I recommend. If people have better descriptions, feel free. Also, for LGR and Errant Signal, I couldn't come up with good descriptions that aren't just "Reviews Stuff" So please someone takes those two.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 19, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

- Super Eyepatch Wolf (Patreon) – This person reviews various shows and themes, particularly those of anime.

- History Buffs (Patreon) – Our host analyzes a movie's historical roots and how faithfully the movie conveys those events.

- FourStarBento – From the people behind Dragon Ball Z Abridged and Hellsing Ultimate Abridged comes a variety of anime review shows, from the past (Saturday Morning Sushi) to the present (Anime FMK).

- Maven of the Eventide (Elise Hansen) (Patreon) – As the host of Vampire Reviews, the Maven of the Eventide looks at vampires as they appear in all sorts of media.

--Neon Harbor (YouTube) (Ed Glaser) – On Deja View, Ed Glaser looks at movies very directly inspired by other more famous movies.

- Rantasmo (Patreon) – As the host of Needs More Gay, Rantasmo looks at the depiction of homosexual representation in media.

- Renegade Cut (Patreon) – Leon Thomas analyzes the plot and various themes in a wide variety of movies.

- Tony Goldmark (Some Jerk With a Camera) (Patreon) – This guy's shtick is reviewing theme parks and related media, particularly Disney ones.

- Weekly Manga Recap (Patreon) – Our hosts, Nik and Chris, read manga (Japanese comics) from Weekly Shonen Jump (and a few from Crunchyroll) and give their thoughts on these chapters on a weekly basis. You can join them as they do the show live on Thursdays at 7 PM EST (though be sure to check their twitters for any changes to the schedule).

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 19, 2018

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear crow posted:

Innuendo Studios - Guy talking about video games in a socio-political context - YouTube / Patreon
Example video: Things of Beauty: Super Smash Bros. as Spectator Sport

Lessons From The Screenplay - video essay series taking specific movies and breaking down how they'd be written - YouTube / Patreon
Example video: The Social Network — Sorkin, Structure, and Collaboration

Ozzy Man Reviews - aussie bloke talks about random internet videos/cultural events/fights/Game Of Thrones - YouTube
Example videos: Game of Thrones Season 7 Episode 1 and McGregor vs Mayweather

Sideways - music nerd nerds out over music in the most hardcore way - YouTube / Patreon
Example video: How Disney Uses Language

TheGamingBritShow - video game critic talks about his views on games - YouTube / Patreon
Example video: over 80 minutes of bitching about the Rachet & Clank reboot, very cathartic

Gigguk - Anime nerd talking about currently running anime, is mildly self-aware - YouTube / Patreon
Example video: 5 Manga That Need More Attention

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 19, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Great War is hosted by Indy Neidell and a crew of historians. It covers the First World War week by week one hundred years later. Youtube Channel / Patreon

Super Bunny Hop, aka George Weidman reviews new games, old games, and has extensive recaps of Metal Gear Solid plots. Also makes videos covering nerdy trips and occasional controversies. Youtube / Patreon

Nerdwriter1 covers all areas of media culture in weekly video essays, ranging from music, traditional art, comics, comedy, directing and so forth. Youtube / Patreon

Raycevick is a video game critic who runs two series, "So I've Finally Played" and "Years Later". The former focuses on his initial impressions of various games, while the Years Later series are long form video retrospectives on several notable franchises, such as Halo or Mass Effect. Youtube / Patreon

Mother's Basement is an anime review show covering various films, shows and OVA series. Has something of an obsession with fixing SAO. Youtube / Patreon

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 19, 2018

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Has anyone mentioned No Small Parts. Its a youtube series about bit part and character actors. Tis good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?NoSmallPartsShow

Wrageowrapper fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 19, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nightmare Masterclass does serious literature criticism of horror/surreal/spoopy stuff. Youtube/ Ko-Fi

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Okay, so here is a respectably GIGANTIC list of Internet People to watch then.

quote:

Welcome to the Internet Critic Discussion Thread 4.0!

:frogsiren:Thread Rules: :frogsiren:

• Don't be a loving creep and pry into critics' personal lives. They are not (meaningfully) public figures. This includes MST3K-ing Twitter meltdowns.
  • If you need to discuss a specific work in-depth, take it to a separate thread. You can, of course, discuss a work a reviewer is reviewing, but let's not have 3 page hijacks on a single movie.
  • No gamergate. Ever. Don't talk about someone being a gamergater. Don't talk about gamergaters. Gamergate never happened. NOTHING PRODUCTIVE EVER COMES OUT OF THIS.
  • Don't start posting about posting, it's almost as bad as breaking the first three rules and throws the thread even more catastrophically off topic. If someone is being an rear end report it or come back in a few days.

Goon Favorites

Lindsay Ellis (Loose Cannon-specific Patreon) – Formerly the Nostalgia Chick, now working on a show called Loose Cannon and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.

Kyle Kallgren (Brows Held High) (Patreon) – Does in-depth reviews of what are generally called "arthouse films" (though he hates the term). He made me legitimately appreciate a movie that was a guy talking over a blue screen.

Red Letter Media (Patreon) – Review movies. These guys seem mostly insulated from the "internet critic community" so they go at a bit of a different angle, especially with their knowledge of cinematography.

SF Debris (Chuck Sonnenburg) (Patreon) – Reviews (mostly) Sci-Fi television episode by episode. Has a pretty good middle-ground between plot summary and plot analysis.

Todd in the Shadows (Patreon) – Pop song reviews and retrospectives on one hit wonders. Also a pretty good piano player.

And Some Other Great People...

Ahoy (Patreon) – As his channel description says, insightful gaming content. Months pass between new Ahoy videos, but when he releases one it's an event. Some of the most painstakingly crafted, highly researched and brilliantly made longform video content you will find on YouTube. And his voice isn't half bad either...one of the very best. Often concentrates on first-person shooters, known for his long videos on Polybius, Quake and Doom as well as the "Iconic Arms" series.

Allison Pregler (Obscurus Lupa / Movie Nights) – Semi-scripted review show about mostly schlocky movies. Also covering every god forsaken episode of Baywatch and Charmed (presumably due to insanity).

Ashens – Reviews cheap things found in british dollar stores and talks about micro computer games sometimes.

Bennet The Sage (Patreon) – Reviews anime OVAs, movies, and series of... dubious quality from years past with Anime Abandon.

Brad Jones (The Cinema Snob) (Patreon) – Attacks more... questionable films with snark and dry wit. Also does out of character reviews of recent release movies with his friends via Midnight Screenings, and slowly kills himself eating equally questionable “food” on camera via Brad Tries.

Brutal Moose (Patreon) – Chill reviewer who takes a look at things he likes. VHS tapes, old kids games, recipe books, frozen dinners, it's all good.

Cinemassacre – Home of Board James, James & Mike Play, and the Angry Video Game Nerd.

Contrapoints (Patreon) – Problematic trans woman talks about problematic political topics.

Daniel Ibbertson (DJ Slope's Game Room) (Patreon) – DJ Slope gave up a promising career as a DJ and Jackass-esque pain donkey on British TV (not a joke) to become a truly excellent reviewer and budding documentarian on YouTube. Known for his "Complete History" retro video game series, and "Kickscammers" where he goes into detail about some truly baffling attempts at crowdfunding.

Diamanda Hagan (Patreon) – She's Diamanda Hagan, and she has to live with that every day-- all while reviewing movies that no person in their right mind should watch (which makes her perfectly qualified). Also supreme leader despot of an enslaved nation.

Errant Signal – Great general analysis.

Extra Credits (Patreon) – Video Game Industry insiders lecture about game design, making video games, issues the industry faces and historic events.

Feminist Frequency (Anita Sarkeesian) – Literally tries to enslave and brainwash men by making harmless and thoughtful feminist critiques of various media (mostly TV, Movies, and Video Games).

Folding Ideas (Dan Olson) – Does in-depth analysis of films and film making thoery, among other topics and weekly streams.

FourStarBento – From the people behind Dragon Ball Z Abridged and Hellsing Ultimate Abridged comes a variety of anime review shows, from the past (Saturday Morning Sushi) to the present (Anime FMK).

TheGamingBritShow (Patreon)– video game critic talks about his views on games.

Gigguk (Patreon) – Anime nerd talking about currently running anime, is mildly self-aware.

The Great War (Patreon) – A Youtube channel hosted by Indy Neidell and a crew of historians. It covers the First World War week by week one hundred years later.

hbomberguy (Patreon) – Confirmed Soyboy Harris Bombyman disects the alt-right and its poorly thought-out ideas with actual researched facts and humour. He also reviews things.

History Buffs (Patreon) – Our host analyzes a movie's historical roots and how faithfully the movie conveys those events.

History Respawned – Covers how well video games represent history.

I Hate Everything – ...He hates everything.

Innuendo Studios (Patreon) – Guy talking about video games in a socio-political context.

Jacob Chapman (formerly Jesu Otaku) – Writes text articles and reviews at Anime News Network.

Jenny Nicholson – Tackles a verity of pop culture topics in an endearingly deadpan absurdist (...and borderline insane) style.

Jim (loving) Sterling (Son) (The Jimquisition) (Patreon) – Weekly Editorials on why the AAA gaming industry sucks and deep dives into the bowels of Steam.

Jon Bois (SB Nation) – Pretty Good videos about rarely told sport (and other) stories.

Kim Justice (Patreon) – All you ever wanted to know about british home gaming and micro computers.

Larry Bundy Jr. (Guru Larry) (Patreon) – HELLO YOU. Along with commenting on literally every YouTube video known to man, Guru Larry is also known for his "Fact Hunt" series where he compiles several related obscure bits of knowledge about video games into one video, and throws in a couple of jabs at Peter Molyneux for good measure. Also known for "Games Yanks Can't Wank", "Movie Mistakes" and even some time spent reviewing games on British TV back in the day.

Lessons From The Screenplay (Patreon) – video essay series taking specific movies and breaking down how they'd be written.

Linkara (Louis Luvhog) (Patreon) – Reviews (mostly superhero) comic books. He also has incredibly silly ongoing plots that he's making into a movie because of his Patreon.

Matthewmatosis – Breaks down and reviews video games. He's not huge on the cultural commentary, but he's absolutely stellar at analyzing games on a more mechanical level.

Maven of the Eventide (Elise Hansen) (Patreon) – As the host of Vampire Reviews, the Maven of the Eventide looks at vampires as they appear in all sorts of media.

Mother's Basement (Patreon) – An anime review show covering various films, shows and OVA series. Has something of an obsession with fixing SAO.

Movies with Mikey (Filmjoy) (Patreon) – Lovable doof talks about the movies he loves.

MrBtongue – Does long-form video essays related to video games and fan culture related to video games through his Tastefully Understated Nerdrage series.

Nerdwriter1 (Patreon) – Covers all areas of media culture in weekly video essays, ranging from music, traditional art, comics, comedy, directing and so forth.

Neon Harbor (YouTube) (Ed Glaser) – On Deja View, Ed Glaser looks at movies very directly inspired by other more famous movies.

Nightmare Masterclass (Ko-Fi) – Serious literature criticism of horror/surreal/spoopy stuff.

Night Mind (Patreon) – A furry showing off the best (And not so best) in horror web series.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais (Patreon) – Game analysis’ equivalent to a college professor lecturing a class. While traveling cross country in a VW Bus.

No Small Parts (Patreon) – YouTube series about bit part and character actors.

Nostalgia Nerd (Patreon) – UK-based YouTuber who has a great love for old computers and a beautiful, dulcet tone from the Eastern counties. Known for making incredibly long labour of love Story documentaries about old computers like the Amiga and Atari ST, as well as "UK Thrifts" (like LGR Thrifts but with more half-empty copies of Kerplunk!) and commentaries over old episodes of the almighty Bad Influence.

OSW Review (Patreon) – The best wrestling content on YouTube. Lengthy, hilarious but superbly researched PPV review videos from Jay, OOC, and V1 - your favourite trio of riotous Irishmen.

Ozzy Man Reviews – Aussie bloke talks about random internet videos/cultural events/fights/Game Of Thrones.

Peter Coffin (Patreon) – Talks about how capitalism sucks and makes fun of commercials with his wife.

Phelous (Phelous.com) (Patreon) hosts the reviews of... uh… Also home to Lupa, Andrew Dickman, and Team Panshy (Welshy and SadPanda).

Philosophy Tube (Patreon) – A philosphy major teaches you all about philosophy so you don’t have to waste your time and money on expensive colleges.

Poparena (Patreon) – Reviews of books, movies, and TV shows from the 90s and 80s. His most notable series is his reviews of every single Animorphs book and TV episode in order from start to finish.

Pushing Up Roses (Patreon) – Retro reviewer with a strong focus on point-and-clicks and other adventure titles. Also does the odd film review now and again, and is known for "Death In Video Games".

Radio Dead Air (Nash and Tara) (Patreon) – A weekly web-based live internet radio show and home to the popular “What the gently caress is Wrong With You?” (WTFIWWY) segment.

Rantasmo (Patreon) – As the host of Needs More Gay, Rantasmo looks at the depiction of homosexual representation in media.

The Rap Critic – Reviews rap songs in a very in-depth manner, usually including significant cultural and political critique of the songs.

Raycevick (Patreon) – A video game critic who runs two series, "So I've Finally Played" and "Years Later".

Regular Car Reviews – Gonzo reviews of regular, everyday cars, with the occasional crazy video about car shows, conventions, and straight-laced Q&As.

Renegade Cut (Patreon) – Leon Thomas analyzes the plot and various themes in a wide variety of movies.

Ross Scott – He mostly does Machinima (notably Freeman's Mind), but also has a stellar show called Ross' Game Dungeon which is strikingly unlike most other game review shows. He picks more obscure games and just kind of... chills and talks about them for 30 minutes. Despite the way that sounds, they're well-edited, structured, and paced to boot!

Shaun (Patreon) – Pokes fun at the Alt-Right. Also does streams with his friend Jen.

Sideways (Patreon) – Music nerd nerds out over music in the most hardcore way.

Suede (Patreon) – Anime reviewer in the vein of Sage, focused primarily on reviewing the original Pokemon anime and its theatrical offshoots.

Super Bunny Hop (George Weidman) (Patreon) – Reviews new games, old games, and has extensive recaps of Metal Gear Solid plots. Also makes videos covering nerdy trips and occasional controversies.

Super Eyepatch Wolf (Patreon) – This person reviews various shows and themes, particularly those of anime.

Techmoan (Patreon) – A channel focused on Retro Tech from a Northerner who's well and truly been around. Makes videos about many different things, but really focuses on old and new Hi-Fi equipment, forgotten music and video formats, and plenty of strange, almost unclassifiable curios. He demonstrates the products in the flesh, isn't afraid to get inside of them, and will spend months in pursuit of a video. His voice, presentation and love of hip-hop makes him quite possibly the single most relaxing and chilled out channel on the whole of YouTube.

This Is Dan Bell (Patreon) – Is mostly found on Amazon Prime Video these days, but there's so much greatness to check out in the archives. Excellent filmmaker, urban explorer, lover of all the tattiest things about America. Ugly/Beautiful videos of faded glory and desolation, with serious vaporwave A E S T H E T I C S. Known for the "Another Dirty Room" series and the "Dead Mall" series.

Weekly Manga Recap (Patreon) – Our hosts, Nik and Chris, read manga (Japanese comics) from Weekly Shonen Jump (and a few from Crunchyroll) and give their thoughts on these chapters on a weekly basis. You can join them as they do the show live on Thursdays at 7 PM EST (though be sure to check their twitters for any changes to the schedule).

Wisecrack (Patreon) – Pop Philosophy on your favorite pop culture.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 26, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I remembered some posts that had suggestions.

Puppy Time posted:

Ahoy does interesting deep dives about various video game history things, including the use of different weapons or enemy types, as well as franchise histories. He seems to only release every few months, but his backlog is pretty good.

Clemps is more along the lines of old school Channel Awesome critics, in that he's based more on humor than a lot of critics, but he's not terrible.

Errant Signal is great for general analysis.

GameHut worked in the biz on things like Sonic3D and focuses a lot on "how we did this" programming things. Technically not a critic I guess, but it's really really neat.

History Respawned covers how well video games represent history.

I recommended MrBTongue earlier; he's either on extended hiatus or no longer uploading, but his backlog is fab.

You're probably already familiar with Noah Caldwell-Gervais, but just in case: he does super longform analyses of franchises.

Most of these don't upload super often, but the quality is well worth the wait IMO.

Kim Justice posted:

Ooooooh. "I've been waiting for this moment, allll my liifeee...oh lord..."

Anyway, I follow a lot of various folk who do various things and I'll put up some of my favs:

First off, there's a fair bunch of network-type channels which run various shows. Of these, I really like Bon Appetit (run by Conde Nast) - they do the awesome "It's Alive with Brad Leone", "From the Test Kitchen", "Beautiful Butchery" and "I Got A Guy", which are all great. I even really like "Kids Try"...basically I like pretty much everything they do. I also love First We Feast (Complex) - this is the home of "Hot Ones" (you probably know that), "Food Skills" and "Sean in the Wild" amongst other various videos. Munchies (VICE) also has a whole bunch of good stuff - it seems to have scaled back a fair bit currently, but there's lots of goodness in the archives.

As for more homegrown channels...yeeeep, there's a lot.

Brothers Green Eats - These two are really chill...probably because, as the name might have hinted at, they're massive stoners. But they do really nice looking food - they specialise in particular in food that's not going to break the bank, so as far as student food goes its way better than Weber Cooks.

Bruno Albouze - AKA the Real Deal. Does pretty complex patisserie, quite chefy stuff...his voice is liquid sex, and the videos are amusingly corny.

Food Wishes- Chef John. The Godfather of YouTube cooking. Has some idiosyncracies such as a glorious sing-song voice that you may find annoying at first, but you will grow to love them - trust me. Helps that everything he makes is delicious. If you're going to follow along, be sure to stock up the pantry with plenty of cayenne pepper...however much you have on hand, it's not enough.

Gordon Ramsay - Umm...well, not exactly an obscure guy. But beyond all the clips from Kitchen Nightmares and so forth Ramsay's channel is filled with clips from his cooking shows. As he is one of the greatest chefs to ever walk the earth, they're kinda good and his personality is obviously electric.

Hiroyuki Terada - "Good afternoon". Master of sushi in the main, and many other things seafood related. Occasionally does some quite graphic preparations. Not as slick as others, but the personality and interaction is great, the videos are chill and the food is wonderful.

Jun's Kitchen - Jun from the popular vlog channel "Rachel and Jun" is an AMAZING cook. Videos don't come out super often, but every one of them is staggering. Mostly Japanese.

Maangchi - Another veteran YT'er - master of all things Korean. A sweet old lady who used to be addicted to online games, now she's on the Tubes making bills with the best fried chicken and kimchi you can find.

Scott Rea - The Scott Rea Project. Proper, British master butchery, in the old traditional ways. There's something exceptionally chill about watching this man break down half a pig like if it were nothing, or creating sausages and awesome looking pies. Has a good personality too.

VahChef - Another YT original, VahChef is a master of Indian cookery. An occasionally frustrating channel, as he will sometimes do ridiculous things like subject his audience to 6 months worth of terrible recipes involving Horlicks Oats thanks to a sponsorship...then right when you're about to unsubscribe, he comes back with a blistering curry that reminds you why you're here. And he has about 10 years worth of archives too.

You Suck At Cooking - YSAC is completely different to all other channels on this list. Almost indescribable, but the cooking is as good as the videos are weirdly surreal and funny. There aren't many like him.

...Um, hopefully I didn't get too carried away but this is what I watch on YouTube most of the time. I love cooking videos and have an unhealthy addiction to them. If only my own cooking skills were better than total garbage I'd start a side one of my own!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Okay, well I'm basically done with adding people to that giant rear end list. That's on Zedd from here on when they make the new thread in the coming days.

Thanks, folks! You've been fantastic! :buddy:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Would it be worth including something like Idea Channel, even though it's discontinued? I guess that list is plenty long already though

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

You may want to change Rap Critic's link; it's still going to blip.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

You may want to change Rap Critic's link; it's still going to blip.

Done. Thanks.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Guess I have good taste, everyone I would've suggested is already on there and basically covers most people I'm subbed to. I suppose that's what happens when following this thread gave me like half of my subs...

I think the only thing off the top of my head is Suede uploads his vids to CA one week before they go on Youtube, so I always feel icky whenever I go on that site for that purpose. If there's any more like that, it might be worth mentioning so people can decide for themselves if they want to visit that ghastly site for certain reviewers with exclusive/early content.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

One little minor change I would suggest (nothing like big or anything) is perhaps a slight switch to the title, something along the lines of the "Internet Critic and Personality" Thread? It seems as though the range of people we discuss now is a lot broader than those who were discussed back when this thread started - while it's still largely critics, we have a lot more people that could be added now (say, that one old list of mine which was just posted which is mostly food channels) along with recommendations for folks like The Great War, Ozzy Man, and Contra who aren't traditional Internet critics or even critics at all really. I understand if that might be too broad a change but just throwing it out there :)

quote:

Would it be worth including something like Idea Channel, even though it's discontinued? I guess that list is plenty long already thoug

As far as discontinued channels go I'ma throw in Every Frame A Painting.

...and papa franku :(

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 19, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Justice posted:

One little minor change I would suggest (nothing like big or anything) is perhaps a slight switch to the title, something along the lines of the "Internet Critic and Personality" Thread? It seems as though the range of people we discuss now is a lot broader than those who were discussed back when this thread started - while it's still largely critics, we have a lot more people that could be added now (say, that one old list of mine which was just posted which is mostly food channels) along with recommendations for folks like The Great War, Ozzy Man, and Contra who aren't traditional Internet critics or even critics at all really. I understand if that might be too broad a change but just throwing it out there :)

Internet Critical Hit List

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I just wish that ANN had an actual bibliography feature so I could link to actual stuff JO has written for the site instead of his staff page that just goes nowhere and does nothing :negative:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Diamanda Hagan: She's Diamanda Hagan, and she has to live with that every day-- all while reviewing movies that no person in their right mind should watch (which makes her perfectly qualified). Also supreme leader despot of an enslaved nation. (Patreon)

Brutal Moose: Chill reviewer who takes a look at things he likes. VHS tapes, old kids games, recipe books, frozen dinners, it's all good. (Patreon)

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

I believe Shaun is spelt with a "U" and not a "W". Though there is another youtuber who also just goes by the name Shaun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wrageowrapper posted:

I believe Shaun is spelt with a "U" and not a "W". Though there is another youtuber who also just goes by the name Shaun.

It can be either, depends on the individual spelling.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kim Justice posted:

I support this very incredibly valid distinction as that means we can include Internet Comment Etiquette with Erik in this thread and we'd all be richer people for it.

I'd also suggest adding a Example/Recommended Video to each name, since there are so many and people would want to see at least something by them before committing. That's understandably a tall order given the number of people in the list, but that's exactly why adding a specific highlight video to watch would help.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 19, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

I just wish that ANN had an actual bibliography feature so I could link to actual stuff JO has written for the site instead of his staff page that just goes nowhere and does nothing :negative:

Not to mention that he hasn't updated his staff page in years.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Good Bad or Bad Bad (Patreon): Bryan Schilligo and Kyle Hinton recap bad movies to determine if they're the good kind of bad or just plain bad.

Ralph Sepe Jr. (Patreon): Amateur film maker who also creates movie reviews.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I think internet criticism has a crossed a line into brain melting insanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q39G8VQBNVs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dTp4wHPR_o&t=884s

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It can be either, depends on the individual spelling.

Indeed, as well as Sean, but in the case of this youtuber it is definitely with a au. The list above has it Shawn.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

One last thing about the list, I noticed a few of them have "Pateron".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wrageowrapper posted:

Indeed, as well as Sean, but in the case of this youtuber it is definitely with a au. The list above has it Shawn.

Ah, my bad. I misunderstood from the way you wrote it.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Um...sorry follks, I don't care that it's half 4 in the morning but I've just noticed an absolutely critical error that must be fixed before the new thread begins. Please fix ASAP. Thank you.

TheReportOfTheWeek (Reviewbrah) (Patreon) - Shortwave radio enthusiast. Wears suits like, all the time. Some say he was possessed as a child by the spirit of Ed Morrow. Reviews Fast Food. Will spend 10 minutes going through a burger, or pizza, fried chicken, or even a freaking bottle of spring water and will somehow make it the most interesting thing you've seen that day. Has been made into a thousand hilarious memes. Loved by everyone. Possibly the greatest man alive, and will soon hit the most deserved and celebrated 1 million subs in the history of YouTube.

Example video: All of them. Oh, ok...Popeye's Cheddar Biscuit Butterfly Shrimp. It features his greatest line. Out of many.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Add edups too.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm going to recommend Captain Disillusion. He examines fw: fw: fw: meme videos and shows where they came from and how they were made. Did a video with Beakman (you know, from Beakman's world? Remember?) and had an infamous takedown of the Cicret Bracelet Kickstarter.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear crow posted:

Okay, so here is a respectably GIGANTIC list of Internet People to watch then.

Also, I reading over the template, I noticed it's mildly outdated, gamergate isn't really a thing anymore (thank gently caress), instead it's now fallen under the umbrella of the alt-right (gently caress), which is so toxic that most discussion is of how toxic the ideas and people are, so there aren't really any defenders here.

If anything, this thread tends to get really weird about policing which channels to watch based on how close they are to the alt-right, either through twitter stalking, paying really close attention to content creators social circles, or just finding specific sentences in a given video potentially offensive. It can get really creepy really fast.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SatansBestBuddy posted:

If anything, this thread tends to get really weird about policing which channels to watch based on how close they are to the alt-right, either through twitter stalking, paying really close attention to content creators social circles, or just finding specific sentences in a given video potentially offensive. It can get really creepy really fast.

I mean, “this person associates with Nazis” is a legitimate reason to not want to give someone views. Sorry that bothers you. Both sides, fine people, etc.

I still think Joseph Anderson is good and worth watching even if he’s on the wrongthink list for criticizing Nintendo. :colbert:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SatansBestBuddy posted:

If you want to consume media that inherently serves to normalise through exposure malformed and toxic ideas of how the world works because all art is implicitly an expression of the artist's opinion or viewpoint then you could just stick to BotL posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

khwarezm posted:

I think internet criticism has a crossed a line into brain melting insanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q39G8VQBNVs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dTp4wHPR_o&t=884s

This is my thought process whenever a grown adult complains about a children's show.

1. Why do they care? It's not made for them.
2. Though there is nothing wrong with liking a children's show.
3. But if you don't like it you should probably just move on and forget about it.
4. I guess you can also say that about non children's shows/movies.
5. Bob Chipman made a 4 hour rant about BvS.

• Locked thread