Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I feel like there has to be some weirdly cheap way to do this like retrofitting an old mini fridge or something. Like throw away the
fridge part and have some small heat exchanger. Or just go all in and get some kinda geothermal heat pump

I guess I could just put a tank in a old fridge but that's kinda ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Free Drinks posted:

Bonus:

A crab-knife video I don't remember ever seeing:

https://i.imgur.com/VxLQ7oF.gifv

Go get 'em little guy!

Edit: that came out bigger than I wanted, how the hell do you shrink .gifvl?

this video is extraordinary because it refutes claims in the comments section of the blue handle knife crab video that the knife had actually just been jammed into the crabs claw by the cameraman, leaving it unable to simply drop it and move along, yet here we see a crab expertly brandishing its knife with the dexterity of an olympic fencer as it switches handling claws on its own several times during battle

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redm posted:

this video is extraordinary because it refutes claims in the comments section of the blue handle knife crab video that the knife had actually just been jammed into the crabs claw by the cameraman, leaving it unable to simply drop it and move along, yet here we see a crab expertly brandishing its knife with the dexterity of an olympic fencer as it switches handling claws on its own several times during battle

That crab is a Princess Bride fan.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

naem posted:

Remove the "v" from a .gifv and put [timg][/timg] tags around it and you get an embedded timg gif

I gave that a shot but all it did was make a still gif of the first frame.

Well at least if any gifv is going to be big as all hell this is a good one for it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Crabs: Nature’s Pranksters.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ndL0EysCNBw

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I like this thread and all the funny things you guys are posting in it :) tyvm

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

Swilo posted:

I like this thread and all the funny things you guys are posting in it :) tyvm

Thanks friend!

And thank you crabs

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

LingcodKilla posted:

I guess I could just put a tank in a old fridge but that's kinda ugly.

Nah you'd have to have it fully closed in if you did it like that. What temps do these guys need, I have an idea.

E: hmm. I think there's a few reasons it's hard to get a cheap chiller. You'd either have to know a refrigeration technician, or you'd need some other cold reservoir that's basically cold water. Quick search says you can still get decent titanium heat exchangers, depending where you look, so the part where you cool the tank water is easy.

You could also probably modify a regular dehumidifier or air conditioner to do it, either by pumping Freon thru the exchanger directly (nuts but if someone had the skills it would be pretty cool to see), or you could build a chamber around the cold side, flood it with some medium like water or possibly engine coolant, and then pump THAT through the heat exchanger that contracts the tank water. That'd probably be easiest and best because you don't have to gently caress with high pressure, and you don't have to worry about getting salt into the easily corroded copper. I'd probably use coolant.

If I had a non-broken air conditioner I would literally do this right now. That would solve most of the issues that seem to be screwing over these aquarium guys who are online bitching about how impossibly hard this is and you have to buy one. You can get a titanium exchanger for the aquarium got like 50 bucks and if you look at small capacity industrial process stuff you can get things in that range that may be more effective and not a giant coil in the tank itself.

Alternately go on Craig's list and buy one of those wine fridges with the glass front, put the whole drat thing in there.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 19, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m assuming you would set up a holding tank below it to hold the chilling elements and pump the water back and forth to the main tank.
Gonna keep my eye out for a working refrigerator this spring. May have to give it try.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Knife crab rules.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I've 100% convinced myself that you can make a cooler if you can get a cheap heat exchanger, two cheap pumps, some tubes, and a cheap air conditioner, here is an mspaint to illustrate

basically you tear off the front panel of the air conditioner and throw it in the trash. Clean the gently caress out of the radiator things or whatever it is. Remove anything that blows air across the cold end but you gotta leave the rest as normal.

Then comes the hardest part, you need to build a watertight chamber around the radiator that gets cold. You can use plastic to make a box and seal it shut by melting it. People make acrylic fish tanks all the time and either chemically weld panels together or they heat and bend panels, it's not impossible to do it. If you have this physically higher than the heat exchanger you could even leave the top part open, but I would want it totally closed because i'd rather use engine coolant -- I figure if it's good enough and doesn't corrode my car it wouldn't corrode the air conditioner.

Next you get a little pump and hook it into this box, and plumb it to the heat exchanger. Doesn't even have to be the kind in the pic it can be the kind that's just a tube in the aquarium itself. Whatever metal comes in contact with the seawater should be titanium though, I think even stainless steel will gently caress up in a salt water aquarium if it gets a scratch. Maybe aluminum is ok??

In the pic I would just have it so that the tank water flows in the opposite direction as the coolant. I think for that kind of heat exchanger you want the fluid that is more fouling to be in the tubes and not the shell. There'll probably be weird poo poo that wants to grow in there that you'd need to periodically clean out.

This way you don't need to particularly modify how the air conditioner works, just make it so it's conditioning coolant instead of air. You could have it in a different room or whatever and it won't matter, it'll just keep pulling heat out of the aquarium and export it out the back of the air conditioner. If any of the pumps gently caress up you might have some trouble but I think this would actually work fine.

e: The thermostat sensor might be ok to put in the coolant. you may have to rig the controls some. Evaporation in the coolant loop would probably be extremely bad.

Honky Dong Country posted:

Knife crab rules.

word

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 19, 2018

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

If crab people were real would it be really racist to make snip puns around them?

Would ‘crabby’ be as slur akin to the n word?

Find out today at channel 7 (?) news

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

His opinion on the matter doesn’t count since he’s not a crab.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

I made the mistake of posting in another angry pitbull thread. i can't speak for my judgment on doing that, but i'd like to smugly point out to the crab crew that crabs never cause such tumultuous bickering in these forums, and that their ornery nature is, in fact, very lovable.

who knew such a cranky creature could spread so much peace!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Think I just found my first avatar (and gang tag!)

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Let the crabbies flow :unsmigghh:

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

BaconCopter posted:

Let the crabbies flow :unsmigghh:

This....is....good....

.....The assimilation shall continue until all are crab.....

(Welcome! :))

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I'm going to catch some brown crab (Cancer Pagurus) at the weekend off the east coast of Scotland in a friends boat.

Then hopefully I am going to have a delicious meal of too many crab claws! Sorry, crab friends, you are my second favourite type of animal AND one of my favourite meals!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Clamps McGraw posted:

I'm going to catch some brown crab (Cancer Pagurus) at the weekend off the east coast of Scotland in a friends boat.

Then hopefully I am going to have a delicious meal of too many crab claws! Sorry, crab friends, you are my second favourite type of animal AND one of my favourite meals!

Pictures! Was very curious what other people catch.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Clamps McGraw posted:

I’m having blue crab cake tonight. :) You are not alone, I think most crab folk aren’t above breakin’ some legs, so to speak :hehe::fork:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ContraBoss posted:

I’m having blue crab cake tonight. :) You are not alone, I think most crab folk aren’t above breakin’ some legs, so to speak :hehe::fork:

You monster.

Softshell deep fried is the only way to eat blues.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

I'm getting the crab cakes from a tasty place that's like 5 minutes away, and believe me, if they had soft shell on the menu I'd be going full tilt savage tonight :kheldragar:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My pile is bigger.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

LingcodKilla posted:

My pile is bigger.

I'm telling you, you need to work these into some kind of like mystical armor, a true crab lover would glorify and become the Ruddy Man

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

LingcodKilla posted:

You monster.

Softshell deep fried is the only way to eat blues.

No way hon. Steamed crabs coated with old bay and seasoning in a paper sack from a shady stand on the side of the road is also acceptable. Though agreed, I will tear the hell out of a good soft crab sandwich. It’s literally the only food item I enjoy with white bread.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I'm telling you, you need to work these into some kind of like mystical armor, a true crab lover would glorify and become the Ruddy Man

They become super brittle after a few months. Just gonna rotate them into my compost pile.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Wild T posted:

No way hon. Steamed crabs coated with old bay and seasoning in a paper sack from a shady stand on the side of the road is also acceptable. Though agreed, I will tear the hell out of a good soft crab sandwich. It’s literally the only food item I enjoy with white bread.

My wife is easily grossed out and wouldn’t ever touch shellfish before. After having to live in Ballmore for a couple of years, she can’t get enough crab cake now. One day, perhaps, she’ll be brave enough to pick up a wooden mallet and never look back.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

I don't know how to shows this, but it is a video of a crustacean smoking a cigarette on a Keystone can. I cannot hear sound on this computer, so I don't know what the sound is like.

I think it's fake, though. You don't have to smoke to be cool, crabs!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgjRq8UBIZO/?hl=en&taken-by=hollywoodunlocked

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Vato posted:

I don't know how to shows this, but it is a video of a crustacean smoking a cigarette on a Keystone can. I cannot hear sound on this computer, so I don't know what the sound is like.

I think it's fake, though. You don't have to smoke to be cool, crabs!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgjRq8UBIZO/?hl=en&taken-by=hollywoodunlocked

Yes you do :hai:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Free Drinks posted:

It was posted earlier in the thread, but I think its worth reposting:

Sadly that book is fifty drat dollars so I picked up all the other Guy N. Smith books I could find for a reasonable price and my god. It was worth it.

Check out the second page of "Night of the Crabs"
:

"Dear old Uncle Cliff," Ian laughed.
"Not so much of the 'old'," Julie slipped an arm around his waist. "He may be on of the country's leading botanists but he isn't forty yet. He's very much your mother's younger brother."
"You're right," Ian laughed. "Cliff is almost like a brother to me. And he's hip, too, to quote a modern phrase. He didn't even raise an eyebrow when he discovered that we were going away together for a week. 'Have a good dirty week', he said, as I left on Friday night. 'I dont expect you'll be good, but try and be careful. I don't want Julie to have to pack up work just yet.' You wouldn't find many uncles taking that attitude."
"Well," Julie winked, "we have been careful, haven't we? Or at least, I hope you have!"
They both laughed, and then their attention was diverted by a train crossing the estuary over the viaduct a mile away.

Truly the Shakespeare of our time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABh-0w_Ist8

What's funny about this is that Guy N Smith claims In this interview that this movie was based off his series of giant-crab books, but the movie doesn't list him as actually getting any credit, and there is no record of him being involved in any way, shape, or form on IMDB either. But it's a crappbby low-budget flop of a monster movie made by two brothers that were never involved in any other movies so who knows, it could just be murky book-keeping.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

username/post combo on-point

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
It's a good one alright. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I just discovered this thread. My gang of big clawed hermine crabs inside my tank like it.