Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Nerses IV posted:

One weird trick to figure out how many people your ladder can hold

At least they were wearing fall harnesses

Should have worn don't-fall harnesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That's some fuckin' ace pilotage, right there.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

And here we see why you keep the throttle pinned when landing on a carrier

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

FANG IIIIIIT! :argh:

So did that thing come in it too hot, or was it just a nightmarish failure of equipment?

Nerses IV posted:

Ah, I see. Nightmarish failure of equipment then.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wish it went on a little bit longer so you could see those two dudes at the end high-five

e:

magimix posted:

Ah, I see. Nightmarish failure of equipment then.

He still could have been too hot I guess, you only floor it once your wheels hit the deck. I don't know much about carriers though

Also judging by the way those guys start running to where the cable whipped, somebody probably still had a real bad day

Nerses IV fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 18, 2018

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

...maintenance personnel missed at least one and possibly two “critical steps” while working on an engine that helps operate the carrier flight deck’s cables, which are called cross deck pendants, after a previous landing. As a result, the engine failed to slow the aircraft, instead causing the pendant to break “at or near” the Hawkeye’s tailhook.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

This shits the pants.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Great just great now I can never complain about that happening in movies ever again. :argh:

"It's unreali- oh. okay."

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

The start of the video is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbFHWtGi-7M

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ The cameraman says something along the lines of "last/final time". I think he was right!

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Nerses IV posted:

One weird trick to figure out how many people your ladder can hold

... securely attached to their shovels.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://i.imgur.com/SRFETNY.mp4

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Ak Gara posted:

Great just great now I can never complain about that happening in movies ever again. :argh:

"It's unreali- oh. okay."

Yeah the cable snapping/failing is a real scenario that happens rarely but it does. I'm pretty sure the protocol for every single carrier landing is once you hit the flight deck you actually max throttle the gently caress out of engine and the cable is designed to stop the craft even when gunning the engine. The idea being if the cable does fail you might actually be able to pull up and fly away and not hit the water when you careen off the flight deck.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah the cable snapping/failing is a real scenario that happens rarely but it does. I'm pretty sure the protocol for every single carrier landing is once you hit the flight deck you actually max throttle the gently caress out of engine and the cable is designed to stop the craft even when gunning the engine. The idea being if the cable does fail you might actually be able to pull up and fly away and not hit the water when you careen off the flight deck.

Or if you miss the cables. Have there been any studies on the effect of going from a four cable setup to three?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

BgRdMchne posted:

Or if you miss the cables.
Oh yeah duh that too. That's the far more likely scenario.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bum the Sad posted:

Yep. You want the engine to be at full power at the moment your wheels touch because, in the event of a broken cable or a failed trap, half a second might be the difference between a successful go-around and ditching in the ocean.

Fun fact: early jet engines were very temperamental and difficult to keep lit, and one of the surest ways to cause problems (flameout, engine fire, compressor stall, etc) was to advance the throttle too quickly. In early cold war jets you might have to slide the throttle forwards slowly over 10 seconds or more to safely move from idle to full power. Obviously this was not suitable for a carrier landing -- so early carrier jets would have huge flaps and enormous speedbrakes all over that would allow them to decelerate while keeping the engine at 100% throughout the whole approach :eng101:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
That's pretty awesome.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/MPfOcVx.mp4

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

and...what's the problem here, exactly?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

:stare:

I am sure there is a reason for that and not just an interesting way to assistante someone.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's the 10-second-video version of the definition of a "topper" that I first heard explained to me about 20 years ago. I can't remember the reason, but some trees need to have their tops cut off before cutting down the whole thing. The topper is the person on the logging crew that climbs up and amputates the upper few metres. From memory, it's one of the higher-status jobs on a crew, you need some specialized training and equipment and you don't have to do some of the more unpleasant jobs.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ExecuDork posted:

That's the 10-second-video version of the definition of a "topper" that I first heard explained to me about 20 years ago. I can't remember the reason, but some trees need to have their tops cut off before cutting down the whole thing. The topper is the person on the logging crew that climbs up and amputates the upper few metres. From memory, it's one of the higher-status jobs on a crew, you need some specialized training and equipment and you don't have to do some of the more unpleasant jobs.

Unpleasant? Like having to climb a taller, more swingy tree?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Better than felling it without clearing the top, so tons of limbs get stuck in other trees and then fall randomly. They call them widowmakers for a reason.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Saw this construction peacock today. No gloves, no helmet, no vest, no boots, nothing.

Also this bird had no idea how to use a level.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Baronjutter posted:

Saw this construction peacock today. No gloves, no helmet, no vest, no boots, nothing.

Also this bird had no idea how to use a level.
Ehhh, it's fine, peacocks are naturally high-vis.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

jesus christ lady keep your head in the loving car :stonk:

Back of the envelope math has him more than 200 feet up that tree.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Meanwhile, I can never get one of those drat saws to cut through anything thicker than my wrist.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gorilla Salad posted:

Meanwhile, I can never get one of those drat saws to cut through anything thicker than my wrist.

He's just finishing with that saw - otherwise why is he lugging his chainsaw all that way up.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm impressed with how steady that video, and by implication the climber, is.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I like the chick at the other end of the car, hauling the dude back to his seat as he's trying to get up and look too

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PetraCore posted:

I'm impressed with how steady that video, and by implication the climber, is.

Does getting used to that make you safer because you're steady, or less safe because you're getting complacent

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nth Doctor posted:

Back of the envelope math has him more than 200 feet up that tree.

Yep!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Zil posted:

:stare:

I am sure there is a reason for that and not just an interesting way to assistante someone.

trees get dangerous when they're tall, because people climb them and drop their tops and it could hit somebody. so people have to climb them to cut the top off before that happens

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nerses IV posted:

Thankfully the carrier deck is actually rather high off the water. It's so high a B52 can fly below the flight deck.

The B52 looks like it's going down when it's actually in level flight because the wings are tilted up to facilitate greater lift during takeoff and allowing a big ugly fat gently caress to take off from shorter runways. I forget what the actual name of this tilted wing effect is though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nerses IV posted:

Should have been spring harnesses.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

Thankfully the carrier deck is actually rather high off the water. It's so high a B52 can fly below the flight deck.

The B52 looks like it's going down when it's actually in level flight because the wings are tilted up to facilitate greater lift during takeoff and allowing a big ugly fat gently caress to take off from shorter runways. I forget what the actual name of this tilted wing effect is though.

It's just called the angle of incidence of the wing. On takeoff, you normally rotate the plane (pitch it upwards) at some speed in order to increase the angle of attack, generating extra lift and hopping you up off the ground. The B-52 can't do this, because in order to clear the bomb bay (which needs to be in the middle of the plane for balance reasons), its landing gear is spread widely to the front and rear. It would take a lot more airspeed than desirable to rotate on the rear set of wheels, and even if it did there's a good risk of a tailstrike.

So the solution is to increase the angle of incidence of the wing, pointing it slightly upwards as noted, which gives it the lift it needs to just slowly rise off the ground without rotating. The downside is that in level flight the air hitting the top surface of the fuselage increases drag -- I assume that Boeing did the math and figured that it was worth it.

Related: the F-8 Crusader carrier-borne fighter had a variable-incidence wing which could be jacked up for takeoffs and landings and then pulled back down into the fuselage at higher speeds. This has the same effect as the B-52 wing, but it's primarily meant to improve visibility -- you can hold the high angle of attack required for landing while keeping your nose pointed down, letting you more easily see the carrier's flight deck.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 19, 2018

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPGq7IYQHCM

The normally land based B-25 Mitchel taking off from the Hornet, a ww2 carrier to firebomb Tokyo.

Holden MacRoin
Sep 5, 2011

~how an airline pilot sees this~

PF: missed approach. set power, flaps one notch up...max power
PM: positive rate
PF: gear up
PM: flight guidance set
PF: checked
PM: acceleration height
PF: flaps up, climb power, after takeoff checklist
PF: sheesh
PM: yah

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of the F-8 Crusader there is more than one incident where a pilot took off and flew for an extended amount of time without unfolding its wing tips.

http://www.mofak.com/Night_Infamy.htm

Picture inside. Not great for the plane flying without its normal structural loading.

quote:

It all ended after about a point 5 hour of flight time when the plane was landed safely into the arresting gear with the wings still folded and standing at attention. Hundreds of hours of structural repair was required by Juan Lara, Jon Kirkwood and others in the Death Angel Metal Shop before DB 5 was once again flyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I found this in an old “gently caress-up Friday” on Reddit.com/r/AskEngineers.

DoctorWhoToYou posted:

I worked for a small waterpark that had a wavepool.

I was originally hired as general labor, went from assisting in repairing the fiberglass slides and their systems to basically being the wavepool tech after a year of being there. I was tasked with getting this pool running again, and I took it pretty seriously. The park had been closed for many years before we started bringing it back to life.

This was an old wavepool. The PLC that ran it was actually the size of a refrigerator. We had a PLC guy come in and show me the basics so that I could change the wave patterns. When I first showed it to him, he was like "Woah, this is an old one!" But it still worked, and still worked well, so there was no real reason to upgrade it.

The wavepool basically had 5 blowers, with two pneumatically controlled doors per blower, the doors would open and force air into a baffled chamber, displacing water. The blowers were variable speed, creating more air to create bigger waves. You could also change the pattern of the doors opening to get different waves. All controlled by the PLC. It was really a neat old set-up.

We obviously drained the pool completely and did an absolute ton of maintenance and repair. Cleaned the drains, fixed the lights, fixed the baffles, fixed all the screen so people couldn't get into the chambers and I put all new ladders in. Plus basically rebuilding the filtration system and almost all the electrical. The PLC guy came in and we started running waves. Success! We started out with some basic waves, and the maintenance manager approved which ones we should run when the pool opens to the public. He gave me a copy of all the programs that were stored in the PLC and then taught me the very basics.

The Maintenance Manager, my boss and the guy who basically had final word in the park was hovering over my shoulder as I was looking at the programs on the 3.5" floppy. Just to note, this Manager was awesome. He was incredible to work for.

As I was going through the programs, there was one named "RUN AT YOUR OWN RISK!" and it really caught the attention of my boss. Like he wouldn't let it go. Now this was my first time ever using a PLC, so searching the program to see what was going to happen was way outside my knowledge. I just knew the very basics.
I was like "I don't know..." and he was just like "C'mon, what's the worst that could happen?" The pool was completed, the park was due to open in a month and I was really proud of how ahead of the game I was. So I was like "Okay!"

So I set the program into motion, and walk out to the pool deck and stand next to my boss. The pool would run through a series of tests on initial start, so we heard the doors open and close, the blowers power up and all that fun stuff. Then the program started.

The blowers absolutely maxed out. I have no way to explain the noise other than standing on a tarmac as a 747 powers up for take off. I was nervous at this point because I had never heard the blowers amp up that high. I was waiting to hear one of them detonate and blow out the roof of the pool room.

They finally plateaued at what I can only imagine is the highest RPM that the blowers/motors were designed to run at. Every single door opened at once.

That air pressure hit the chambers and this wave came out of the machine that was loving instantaneously enormous. I remember being scared at this point, eeking "holy poo poo!" and taking a few steps back. My boss just stood there confidently, with his hands on his hips.

By the time this wave was barely out of the chambers, it was already higher than the sides of the pool by at least 3 feet. That doesn't seem like much. But when the pool was at it's "full" mark, there is about a 5 foot area of wall above the water line. So technically this wave was at about 8 feet, and it had just started.

The wave came over the sides of the pool, it ripped out the lights that I fixed, it ripped out the new ladders I put in, it swept the guard chairs away, it ripped drain grates out and by the time it made it to the end of the pool it was easily 15 tall...and it left the wave pool. Now it wasn't unusual to get the concrete at the end of the wave pool wet, from some of the bigger wave patterns, but this wave now had a life of it's own, and decided to escape the confines of the wave pool.

There was a picnic area with a pavilion at the other end of the wavepool, it continued through the pavilion, moving picnic tables, trash cans and whatever else was in the way. By the time it was done, I had emptied half the 500,000 gallon wave pool into the picnic area.

My boss and I were standing there silently. I was in complete awe of this machine at that point, I was still jittery and nervous but happy because it was over. I think my jaw was still dropped open.

My boss was kind of quiet, just staring down at the pavilion that we basically just cleared out with a giant wave. He then turned around, looked at me, smacked me on the back and said "Good thing we didn't run that while we were open!" and walked away.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 19, 2018