Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

My bank doesn't let me use Android Pay so I'm missing out too :(

Does the PayPal integration work in Canuckistan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Hmm I've been using the Anker 5-port that's a standard recommendation here with my 1XL and haven't noticed anything so I'm hoping that's compliant with all the relevant stuff. Maybe should go back to the stock charger for a while?

I don't think the 5 port can over current at that load since I'm pretty sure it actually supports 5v 3A.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nimper posted:

Does the PayPal integration work in Canuckistan?

Just tried, nope :(

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Hmm I've been using the Anker 5-port that's a standard recommendation here with my 1XL and haven't noticed anything so I'm hoping that's compliant with all the relevant stuff. Maybe should go back to the stock charger for a while?

The link specifically says the problem happens when using the stock charger (or other usb-c to usb-c chargers that can do 9v). Pixel XL will try to charge at 9v at 2.8A when it is only supposed to ask for 2.0A and the charger shuts down over and over. Stick with the Anker and you'll be ok

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just tried, nope :(

Sorry eh. My bank is probably going to be the last to ever support Gpay, so the PayPal stuff really comes in handy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This will never not be funny. I honestly have no idea how Samsung's random intern forced to draw emojis got that from "Face Screaming in Fear." Maybe it's a Korean thing.

Mozilla's is pretty hosed up, too.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

This will never not be funny. I honestly have no idea how Samsung's random intern forced to draw emojis got that from "Face Screaming in Fear." Maybe it's a Korean thing.

You see that in weeb media a fair bit.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It's a graphical depiction of fan death.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Mozilla's is pretty hosed up, too.

I don't even know what this is.

Everyone needs to use the same emoji sets wtf

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't even know what this is.

It's a suffocating babby pleading for help, duh.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

Everyone needs to use the same emoji sets wtf

Yeah, blobs or GTFO.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

isndl posted:

Yeah, blobs or GTFO.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The old Android set really was the best

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

You see that in weeb media a fair bit.

No I goddamn do not

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ill be picking up an s9+ later today. The 50% off thing makes it a huge plus. Between that and the new unlimited plus enhanced ill be saving about 25 bux a month. I might even opt in for the att insurance this time. Provably not but maybe.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

grimcreaper posted:

Ill be picking up an s9+ later today. The 50% off thing makes it a huge plus. Between that and the new unlimited plus enhanced ill be saving about 25 bux a month. I might even opt in for the att insurance this time. Provably not but maybe.

cool

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

grimcreaper posted:

Solid blog dude

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So Best Buy is running its $400 discount on the Pixel 2 XL again this week, but I read that Google hasn't (or can't) fix the screen of the blue taint and black crush issues?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

OhFunny posted:

So Best Buy is running its $400 discount on the Pixel 2 XL again this week, but I read that Google hasn't (or can't) fix the screen of the blue taint and black crush issues?

"Nothing is wrong" with the Pixel 2XL, the blue tint issues were resolved months ago and black crush, is AFAIK, a result of the type of panels. I'll admit, I've noticed it a few times as a sort of, weird tracing effect on dark blacks against a white screen, but it's never bothered me more than, "hurm, oh so that's what that is" and moved on. Results may vary. Seek internet consultations if effects last longer than 10 minutes.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

OhFunny posted:

mine was manufactured in january and has a bit of blue shift if you look at the screen from a side angle, and there seems to be a bit of a slight ghosty blur when you scroll black text against a white background like a news article or whatever, but it's pretty whatever and you get used to it very quickly. the screen is still gorgeous otherwise and playing games/watching media or anything else is still totally fine and what you'd expect from a high end smartphone. it's just the individual characteristics of the panel type.

i admit that coming off of a galaxy s8+ for the past year the screen doesn't blow me away but at the same time it looks extremely clean and and has a unique quality to it with the colors and lighting that ultimately i enjoy more than the samsung panel, though it could just be the newness of the phone and my general excitement of having gotten out from under a lovely sprint lease/bill plan and switching over to project fi. the whole experience has been great, i'm saving money, and i really enjoy the pixel 2 xl so far. it's super loving fast and snappy and having a clean rear end stock android install with an insane camera is really good feeling. a small detail that people often overlook or don't talk about too is the fact that the fingerprint reader works EXTREMELY WELL and is incredibly fast at unlocking the phone. i even use the squeezy function to set my alarm and set navigation paths before i drive somewhere

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Erwin posted:

1) On an iPhone, if you're typing and make a mistake, you can hold your finger on the text and you'll get a magnifying glass, and then you can move the cursor by moving your finger. On the Samsung, this highlights text. On the iPhone you can also hard press on the keyboard to use it as a trackpad, but this also doesn't work. How do you move the text cursor without highlighting text?

Blue Train posted:

1) drag your finger across the spacebar. If it doesn't work, you probably have some lovely Samsung keyboard and need to install Gboard

I'm using switfkey and this doesn't seem to be a feature? How do I turn this on?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

No I goddamn do not

Have you never played a weeb mmo, for instance?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Have you never played a weeb mmo, for instance?

Lol nope

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

what's wrong with you?!?

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

My Lumia 950 XL has been crashing, rebooting and generally being shite quite a lot recently (because, as I now realize WP is a trash fire) so I've bought myself a new Nokia 8.

Please now tell me how this phone is hot garbage and I've hosed up my phone preferences once again, tia.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SpaceCommie posted:

My Lumia 950 XL has been crashing, rebooting and generally being shite quite a lot recently (because, as I now realize WP is a trash fire) so I've bought myself a new Nokia 8.

Please now tell me how this phone is hot garbage and I've hosed up my phone preferences once again, tia.

I actually think that's one of the good ones!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

VelociBacon posted:

I'm using switfkey and this doesn't seem to be a feature? How do I turn this on?

You don't. You go into Settings - Typing - Keys and switch on Show Arrow Keys on Keyboard for an extra row of four arrow keys that aren't nearly as easy to use. It's a Gboard thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SpaceCommie posted:

I want one and wish it had a US release but I'm more than happy to settle for the cheaper Nokia 6

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

ILikeVoltron posted:

"Nothing is wrong" with the Pixel 2XL, the blue tint issues were resolved months ago and black crush, is AFAIK, a result of the type of panels. I'll admit, I've noticed it a few times as a sort of, weird tracing effect on dark blacks against a white screen, but it's never bothered me more than, "hurm, oh so that's what that is" and moved on. Results may vary. Seek internet consultations if effects last longer than 10 minutes.

pissdude posted:

mine was manufactured in january and has a bit of blue shift if you look at the screen from a side angle, and there seems to be a bit of a slight ghosty blur when you scroll black text against a white background like a news article or whatever, but it's pretty whatever and you get used to it very quickly. the screen is still gorgeous otherwise and playing games/watching media or anything else is still totally fine and what you'd expect from a high end smartphone. it's just the individual characteristics of the panel type.

i admit that coming off of a galaxy s8+ for the past year the screen doesn't blow me away but at the same time it looks extremely clean and and has a unique quality to it with the colors and lighting that ultimately i enjoy more than the samsung panel, though it could just be the newness of the phone and my general excitement of having gotten out from under a lovely sprint lease/bill plan and switching over to project fi. the whole experience has been great, i'm saving money, and i really enjoy the pixel 2 xl so far. it's super loving fast and snappy and having a clean rear end stock android install with an insane camera is really good feeling. a small detail that people often overlook or don't talk about too is the fact that the fingerprint reader works EXTREMELY WELL and is incredibly fast at unlocking the phone. i even use the squeezy function to set my alarm and set navigation paths before i drive somewhere

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Just got a Pixel 2 XL back from SquareTrade that's doing the whole screen strobe when the screen is turned off. I assume the correctest answer here is to insist they they again, any other suggestions?

I factory reset the device upon receipt and it's up to current 8.1.0. It's sporadic but still very obnoxious, and will sometimes just flash when something occludes the prox sensor.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Just got a Pixel 2 XL back from SquareTrade that's doing the whole screen strobe when the screen is turned off. I assume the correctest answer here is to insist they they again, any other suggestions?

I factory reset the device upon receipt and it's up to current 8.1.0. It's sporadic but still very obnoxious, and will sometimes just flash when something occludes the prox sensor.

When I was doing a warranty replacement for my 2 XL to address the speaker issue, the first replacement had the screen strobe thing. They immediately replaced that one as well, so there's no other option imo

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
My pixel 2 will only charge in one usb-c orientation now. Right before it started doing this, plugging it into the charger brought up some software option for different usb settings. Spoke with google support who just offered an RMA, but honestly I’m happy with my phone other than this and don’t want to go through a lottery. Any tips on fixing this myself?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Crampy Grampaw posted:

My pixel 2 will only charge in one usb-c orientation now. Right before it started doing this, plugging it into the charger brought up some software option for different usb settings. Spoke with google support who just offered an RMA, but honestly I’m happy with my phone other than this and don’t want to go through a lottery. Any tips on fixing this myself?

Make sure you dont have any lint or gunk in the charging port. Also try another cable.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just got a refurb Moto G5S Plus and I like it so far (besides the Bluetooth battery drain...) but now I see the P2XL is $200 off.

I guess the question is, do I both returning the G5S+ to Best Buy just to get that sweet Pixelly goodness, while justifying it to myself by saying that, by the time I sell the phone, I'll probably still be able to get $500 for it while the G5S will probably be worthless.

edit: just rtft and now i'm second guessing this

call to action fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 19, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Android 5.1.1 belonging to a relative. Shows the internal memory (8GB) is full and you cannot add any more apps.

The 'memory' menu claims that it is full and that 4.1gb is taken up by apps, however, when I look at the installed apps, there can't be more than 2gb associated with them. None of them seem to have a significant amount of cache used (top 4 each use <300Mb each)

No photos/videos or other docs are on the phone

Is this a known issue and is there a way round it? I am leaning towards suggesting a restore, but is there anything more elegant?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spog posted:

Android 5.1.1 belonging to a relative. Shows the internal memory (8GB) is full and you cannot add any more apps.

The 'memory' menu claims that it is full and that 4.1gb is taken up by apps, however, when I look at the installed apps, there can't be more than 2gb associated with them. None of them seem to have a significant amount of cache used (top 4 each use <300Mb each)

No photos/videos or other docs are on the phone

Is this a known issue and is there a way round it? I am leaning towards suggesting a restore, but is there anything more elegant?

If you can uninstall an app, then you can install the DiskUsage app which is pretty nice and helpful.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I actually think that's one of the good ones!

This is pleasant news. I've been checking out the key apps to install when the phone arrives, first and foremost will be a budget app like Mint to help me replace the £350 hole in my wallet.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Budgie posted:

Navigation does not handle 'A' class roads very well. I come across this error frequently.

"In half a mile turn onto Thurso road, A9"

Followed by "turn onto Thurso road, a 9"

I'm like nah, this road is more of a 3, 5 if I've had a couple, Google. Sometimes I go on the A96 and Google says "a 96" and I wonder if Google is drunk.

Also, get Google to say 'Haugh road' if you want a giggle.

Post codes in the UK are of the style "L15 9AF", with the letters and numbers like that. A friend of mine's post code ends in "9PL", and google maps assistant read it back to me as "nine peta-litres".

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

There is an exit for a town called byron here and maps pronounces it barren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Has anyone tried the Huawei Mate SE yet? I just went and played with one in Best Buy for a little bit, and it seems to be a pretty nice phone for the price.