Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'd just like to experience Google Earth VR one time without having to pay hundreds of dollars. I've been told it's quite an experience.

Dear Oculus, please set up demo booths around America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

I'd just like to experience Google Earth VR one time without having to pay hundreds of dollars. I've been told it's quite an experience.

Dear Oculus, please set up demo booths around America.

They had demo booths at best buy.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dang, only $350 for a Rift? I could super get into that.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NewFatMike posted:

Dang, only $350 for a Rift? I could super get into that.

Micro Center has it at that price right now, though there are sales going on and off at that price a lot.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PerrineClostermann posted:

Micro Center has it at that price right now, though there are sales going on and off at that price a lot.

Buying any VR headset at the moment is like prematurely picking a format before it's finalized. Provided the 'fad' doesn't fizzle out entirely, my guess is eventually there's going to be a ~standard~ agreed upon that none of the current headsets will conveniently meet.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I mean they can just do regular desktop stuff, too, right? Having your own theater format without having to crane your neck in your own living room is pretty cool.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I have a friend who purchased a Rift and he let me try it out when I was over.

While using it I punched him, a wall, and nearly my girlfriend. That's my VR story.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t think that’s true. I had very good VR experiences more than 2 years ago on a $1200 machine, and the Rift is about $500. If you think immersive has to mean photorealistic then the bar is higher, but that hasn’t been my experience even before things like ATW were refined enough to ship.
Yeah, my PC hasn't seen a meaningfully performance-impacting upgrade since 2015 (nothing but upgrading the size of a few disks) and still plays all the major VR titles just fine. It was a ~$1400 build then (ignoring the SLI that does nothing for VR outside of one techdemo), and if prices on GPUs and RAM had done what they normally do instead of going entirely off the rails a rig that beats it in every way should have been able to be built for half that price today.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Buying any VR headset at the moment is like prematurely picking a format before it's finalized. Provided the 'fad' doesn't fizzle out entirely, my guess is eventually there's going to be a ~standard~ agreed upon that none of the current headsets will conveniently meet.
It's not really comparable to a format war. They're all doing the same basic things in slightly different ways, but it's close enough that we can adapt between the different APIs pretty much flawlessly. There's no reason to believe that the same won't be possible when OpenXR comes around.

That said I think right now is the worst time to buy in to VR, both because of the GPU situation and because there's so much cool stuff just around the corner so a little bit of patience could get you better hardware or lower prices on current tech.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 19, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Given the cross compatibility and the tracking they have, there's no reason to think that you're buying LaserDisc with DVD right around the corner.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I have a desktop with some variation of a GTX 560 Ti, which doesn’t look like it can drive a 4K monitor, which I’m also looking at getting.

What’s the not cheap but not totally crazy gaming card at the moment? And, is the advice due to buttcoining pretty much “lol don’t buy”?

Is it likely there will be any lessening of the effect of crypto on GPUs anytime soon?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Krakkles posted:

I have a desktop with some variation of a GTX 560 Ti, which doesn’t look like it can drive a 4K monitor, which I’m also looking at getting.

What’s the not cheap but not totally crazy gaming card at the moment? And, is the advice due to buttcoining pretty much “lol don’t buy”?

Is it likely there will be any lessening of the effect of crypto on GPUs anytime soon?

A 1050Ti is probably what you want, but they are still a little costly. Nobody can say what's going on with GPU prices and crypto since even though earnings are low enough that even dumb goons are turning off their mining rigs, a lot of people bought a pile of video cards to make a return on investment and won't turn them off or stop buying forever.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Krakkles posted:

Depends how much you tolerate upscaling.
GTX 1050 Ti is the Medium/1080P card
GTX 1060 is the High settings/1080P card
GTX 1070/Ti/1080 are the 1440P cards
GTX 1080 Ti is the 4K card

I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 1050 Ti for gaming, mainly because on desktops, the 1050 only has 2GB of RAM while 1050Ti has 4GB. For a similar reason, I wouldn't normally recommend a 1060 3GB either, especially on a longer upgrade cycle. Though at current prices, you can actually obtain a 1060 3GB for $270 here, while a 1060 6GB is going to be $350+, which might make the 3GB worth it since not all games are bottlenecked by 3GB, just some

The other option is to go back a generation and try to get a used GTX 970 4GB for cheap, which has pretty similar performance to a GTX 1060 3GB. They do use a lot more power though.

I think waiting is the best option, mining has become like 40% less profitable the last two weeks or so and I bet a lot of miners are sitting on the edge hoping the numbers go back up, and if it doesn't soon, might start offloading their poo poo. Even if you don't want to buy a used mining card, it would have a big ripple effect and maybe prices would approach MSRP again.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The big one will be ASICs getting into the cryptocurrencies cards were good at, and skyrocketing the difficulty so that GPUs aren't worth the return, even on free electricity.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Alpha Mayo posted:

I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 1050 Ti for gaming, mainly because on desktops, the 1050 only has 2GB of RAM while 1050Ti has 4GB. For a similar reason, I wouldn't normally recommend a 1060 3GB either, especially on a longer upgrade cycle. Though at current prices, you can actually obtain a 1060 3GB for $270 here, while a 1060 6GB is going to be $350+, which might make the 3GB worth it since not all games are bottlenecked by 3GB, just some

The other option is to go back a generation and try to get a used GTX 970 4GB for cheap, which has pretty similar performance to a GTX 1060 3GB. They do use a lot more power though.

I think waiting is the best option, mining has become like 40% less profitable the last two weeks or so and I bet a lot of miners are sitting on the edge hoping the numbers go back up, and if it doesn't soon, might start offloading their poo poo. Even if you don't want to buy a used mining card, it would have a big ripple effect and maybe prices would approach MSRP again.
Thanks, this helps a lot. Just to check - 1080 Ti is the gaming 4K card, but the others will run windows at 4K, right?

I’m fine with upscaling games for now, I wouldn’t be fine with only being able to run windows at 1080P.

I think I agree - wait a month or two, see if prices drop. Maybe buy used.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Yeah I should clarify, I am talking about gaming (3D rendering).

Even a GT 1030 will output 4K 60fps over HDMI. A lot of older cards do too, for HDMI you are looking for HDMI 2.0 which is what added 4K@60FPS support.

Also I just noticed even a 1030 GT is $150+ on Newegg, are fuckers using those for mining too or something?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Palladium posted:

I dunno man, I have used bargain basement mobos from Biostar, Asrock, Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Abit and a no-brand VIA Socket 370 throughout the years, and all were flawless except a Gigabyte nForce 6150 mobo that has a known cold-boot issue. :shrug:

yeah I've owned a few asrock boards and had no issues; better reliability than asus in my (anecdotal) experience. seem to have a better record than gigabyte in terms of not shipping absolute poo poo that breaks within a year

Mister Facetious posted:

The big one will be ASICs getting into the cryptocurrencies cards were good at, and skyrocketing the difficulty so that GPUs aren't worth the return, even on free electricity.

good

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Theoretical question: Would it be possible to have an Nvidia GPU render a game, then have the framebuffer routed through an AMD card to use Freesync? Lucid Virtu MVP used to do something similar to this with Intel + Discrete graphics but that was in the Sandy/Ivy bridge days and for Intel iGPUs on certain chipsets, plus that software is dead these days and doesn't work on Win10

Basically
-NVidia card generates the framebuffer
-AMD cards reads the framebuffer from Nvidia card
-AMD card uses adaptive sync/Freesync to monitor

The catch is you would have both a NVidia card and an AMD card in the same system, but Windows 10 can do that pretty well. And you'd need either a discrete Radeon card > R7 260, or an AMD APU.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Alpha Mayo posted:

Man, you are optimistic. I would move all those cards down (up?) one quality slot.

Alpha Mayo posted:

Theoretical question: Would it be possible to have an Nvidia GPU render a game, then have the framebuffer routed through an AMD card to use Freesync? Lucid Virtu MVP used to do something similar to this with Intel + Discrete graphics but that was in the Sandy/Ivy bridge days and for Intel iGPUs on certain chipsets, plus that software is dead these days and doesn't work on Win10

Basically
-NVidia card generates the framebuffer
-AMD cards reads the framebuffer from Nvidia card
-AMD card uses adaptive sync/Freesync to monitor

The catch is you would have both a NVidia card and an AMD card in the same system, but Windows 10 can do that pretty well. And you'd need either a discrete Radeon card > R7 260, or an AMD APU.

Good news!

Look into the Looking Glass project. https://looking-glass.hostfission.com/quickstart

It evacuates program output from programs (read: games) running in a Windows VM with hardware passthrough, where it can be read by Linux and outputted through some other video output. Yes, this means if you had an AMD card, you could get Freesync-on-NVidia.

Warning: Linux-only. Because Windows never gets any of the cool poo poo. /s

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 19, 2018

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Not sure if this should go here, or in haus of tech support...

I just had my sapphire rx480 die on me - when the card is connected to the motherboard the machine will not even enter bios. It had been running stable for 13 months now, and I haven't even been using it for heavy loads (no mining, no 4k gaming, just 1650x1080 medium settings). Crashed while I was surfing the web...

I do have a 550w psu (antec basiq), and my board is an asus p8p67 rev 3.1... The sister computer my cousin has (same specs, but he does mining and 4k gaming) is still running smooth, albeit it being extremely dusty and sticky. Mine, on the other hand, still looks like it came out of the package.

Just wondering if this is an outlier, as I hear sapphire cards are supposed to be known for their stability...

thanks!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Guigui posted:

Probably a better question for the Haus, but does your computer attempt to do anything when powering on? Error beeps, fans whirring, etc.? Tried leaving the card plugged in but plugging your monitor into integrated graphics, or using a different PCI slot? Leaving the card in the slot but unplugging the auxiliary power cable to the card? Basically try out different things for some data points to help pin down whether it's the card or the mobo or the PSU causing failures. If you got a spare PC plug the card in there to see what happens.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Guigui posted:

I just had my sapphire rx480 die on me - when the card is connected to the motherboard the machine will not even enter bios. It had been running stable for 13 months now, and I haven't even been using it for heavy loads (no mining, no 4k gaming, just 1650x1080 medium settings). Crashed while I was surfing the web...

I do have a 550w psu (antec basiq), and my board is an asus p8p67 rev 3.1... The sister computer my cousin has (same specs, but he does mining and 4k gaming) is still running smooth, albeit it being extremely dusty and sticky. Mine, on the other hand, still looks like it came out of the package.

Just wondering if this is an outlier, as I hear sapphire cards are supposed to be known for their stability...

thanks!

When I got an RX480 I had massive problems getting it stable with a Seasonic 550w PSU (2x12v rail) . I ended up having to get a EVGA one rail 850w. I'm not saying for sure that is a thing but these cards take a LOT of power and that psu might be unhappy.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Man, you are optimistic. I would move all those cards down (up?) one quality slot.

If you are shooting for 144hz or "competitive gaming" or something, yeah. If you are ok with lower framerates, a 1060 6gig can play drat near everything maxed at 1440p and not drop below 30fps, which is my cutoff for playable for most games.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
G-Sync/Freesync can also pick up the slack, but when you get to 1440p at this point, surely 144 Hz is to be assumed. Wish Steam surveys were more granular than the current crap.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Guigui posted:

thanks!

Do you live close to your cousin? Or anybody with a PCIe slot? It will save you a huge amount of troubleshooting considering the situation if you could verify the card works or doesn't work.

Power delivery is more likely here than normal, but that could be through the slot itself or the PSU directly and it'll be good to know. edit: By slot I dont mean just power either, though the 480 is weird enough with slot power that it may be power too.

I'd be careful with the brand is this or that stuff you find online though, its always specific models within specific generations that have issues. Video cards, like most things, have a very low failure rate making the average information gleaned from owners about failure rates* (*not other information though) pretty useless. Now this is a good thing because it means cards arent melting down left or right, but it does subject brands with attributes they dont necessarily deserve.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 19, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Expanding DirectX 12: Microsoft Announces DirectX Raytracing

NVIDIA Announces RTX Technology: Real Time Ray Tracing Acceleration for Volta GPUs and Later

hell yeah, death to rasterization

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 19, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
That is all kinds of cool but sweet jesus this better not invalidate my 1080 Ti already.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
It totally did not!

That is actually very exciting if it means real time ray tracing. I always felt (in very laymans understanding) that ray tracing is the last milestone between a rendered thing looking real or fake.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 19, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I seem to remember reading something about how you could do a very sparse sample of raytracing and then train a deep-learning network that would transform a raster image into a realistic-looking raytraced image, but I haven't been able to find it since I read it.

That would probably be the only actual use for tensor hardware on consumer cards that I've heard of.

edit: was probably one of these two

https://casual-effects.com/research/Mara2017Denoise/Mara2017Denoise.pdf

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1603.06078.pdf

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 19, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ufarn posted:

when you get to 1440p at this point, surely 144 Hz is to be assumed

That's an enormous assumption. 144hz is largely meaningless to a huge number of genres, including some with a lot of players, and largely limited to competitive games where 25 year olds are :corsair: and retiring due to the slowing muscle fibers and brain neurons of their ancient aging bodies. 144hz in Resident Evil or Assassins Creed is nice, but it's not nice enough to be worth slapping $100 on a monitor and accepting a TN panel for a lot of people.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

I seem to remember reading something about how you could do a very sparse sample of raytracing and then train a deep-learning network that would transform a raster image into a realistic-looking raytraced image, but I haven't been able to find it since I read it.

That would probably be the only actual use for tensor hardware on consumer cards that I've heard of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjjTPV2pXY0

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2017/05/10/ai-for-ray-tracing/

Here's Nvidia's high level overview and examples of the results of training a neural network to denoise lower sample traces in Iray.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Kazinsal posted:

That is all kinds of cool but sweet jesus this better not invalidate my 1080 Ti already.

Look in your heart....you know the answer.

This is the carrot they'll use to convince everyone they need to upgrade to the newest cards instead of being satisfied with those old decrepit pascal based cards.

Nvidia is no longer competing with AMD, they now have to compete with themselves.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

ufarn posted:

G-Sync/Freesync can also pick up the slack, but when you get to 1440p at this point, surely 144 Hz is to be assumed. Wish Steam surveys were more granular than the current crap.

Eh, I'm probably weird but I usually play my games on a 4k/60Hz screen and I just have a 1060. For newer games I often step down to 1080p, but emulators and anything indie/older than a year or two work great.
I'll admit being curious to see what variable refresh rate looks like, but not enough to pay the G-Sync premium yet.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

That's an enormous assumption. 144hz is largely meaningless to a huge number of genres, including some with a lot of players, and largely limited to competitive games where 25 year olds are :corsair: and retiring due to the slowing muscle fibers and brain neurons of their ancient aging bodies. 144hz in Resident Evil or Assassins Creed is nice, but it's not nice enough to be worth slapping $100 on a monitor and accepting a TN panel for a lot of people.

25 year olds aren't retiring from profesional gaming because of "their ancient aging bodies", they do it because pro gaming is a poo poo long-term career. I do agree that 144hz is a bit too niche to be expected as a baseline right now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arzachel posted:

25 year olds aren't retiring from profesional gaming because of "their ancient aging bodies", they do it because pro gaming is a poo poo long-term career. I do agree that 144hz is a bit too niche to be expected as a baseline right now.

Yeah turns out just because Logitech is paying for your Gamer House $35k/year ain't poo poo for living in Los Angeles or wherever.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

so this basically confirms Volta will be used for gaming GPUs then?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Arzachel posted:

I only follow one esport, but there was briefly a moment where so many 16 year olds debuted in Dota2 and made immediate impact that it was easy to joke that we were soon going to be seeing pre-teens. As for the older players, logic was four years ago that being 25 basically meant you were dead, but some old men are still incredible and others are okay with some moments of greatness. A guy one of the best teams right now just hit 30.

Still you do have plenty of other people who should have seen the winds blowing and looked into a career that pays money without requiring you to be world class elite.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Cool.

Now when are those Volta GPUs coming Nvidia?

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Now all we need is an industry that doesn't ignore DX12's existence entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Now all we need is an industry that doesn't ignore DX12's existence entirely

Wouldn't that just get in the way of Vulkan development?