Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

double nine posted:

I was watching a dead body and hoping it'd get a little tombstone outside of the dome or something else, but no, they just *poof* disappear. Disappointing, you could have done something with that, devs!

jut have them stay there until interacted with, i want to have my failure domes become ruins filled with dried out bodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any way to share drones over the networks?

Any way to distribute materials so thing shave access when they need it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

w00tmonger posted:

Any way to share drones over the networks?

Any way to distribute materials so thing shave access when they need it?

Drones can only be assigned to local hubs but you can use the disassemble/reassemble buttons to move them between hubs.

Build a shuttle tower, they'll move things between depots as you need it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, the breakthroughs tend to range from "kinda neat and atmospheric but not awesome" to "holyfuckballs gamechanger"
There are a few that are just like "Colonists consume 25% less food", which are pretty dull.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I get, on the one hand, that the game is balanced around managing colonists in a certain way and making sure they have a mix of things available where they are, but it still feels dumb that there’s no plastic tunnel you can build between two basic domes that lets people walk over to the next dome to do whatever. I suppose that would risk making the bigger domes unnecessary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do think that could be workable if you made people take a service quality hit for crossing domes, so domes with services in them are still better and building domes close and interconnected is also better.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I binged a ton of lets plays and streams of this game before it was released and made sure to day 1 buy it, it seemed like a fun concept and the devs definitely had a lot of love for this game. In terms of the core mechanics its good, I've been having fun trying make sure I get the proper amount of resource management going to keep my colony going. Game 1 was a European start in Gale Crater, I had access to a lot of resources, but the dust storms there would last for 3-5 sols at a time. It took awhile to get the colony going since for every production chain I had I had to ensure I placed enough redundant storage to back up my colony once the oxygen and power went down in the storms. Fortunately I had enough rare metal mines that funding was fairly steady and my colonists all lived in clustered small domes since medium domes and big breakthrough domes got locked way late in my tech tree. :argh:

Overall this game is pretty solid, but it can be a bit too easy once you get into the groove of things. Sponsor differences, natural disasters and endgame mysteries will help keep this from being too repetitive, and the friendliness of mods will probably help make some spicy challenges. However I do think there needs to be more buildings for colonists to interact with and some more buildings for Mars. I get they need to help maintain a balance, but honestly once you place one dome with optimized happiness and specialized children's creche domes, you've kind of done it all. I get why they didn't opt to have domes connect, but if all of our domes are going to be independent then having more buildings to specialize with would be fun.

I get that this isn't going to be an Anno style management game, but having something like Banished's Colonial Charter mod would bring a lot more options in. While a lot of those buildings and production chains in the Charter mod have some feel of make work, it still helps add to the setting and makes sense and you don't necessarily have to go down the all the production chains. Having maybe one or two extra production goodies for all the basic resources you have in the game could open up more buildings and possible want/need balances from the colonists. maybe one chain focuses on goods that earn more money if you send em back to earth (low-G metals or Ipods or something) while others are better for in-situ use could open up some fun game dynamics if the dev want to peruse that. I'd love for one expansion to do the whole planetary war of independence thing like you do in Civ Col.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

double nine posted:

I was watching a dead body and hoping it'd get a little tombstone outside of the dome or something else, but no, they just *poof* disappear. Disappointing, you could have done something with that, devs!
Haemimont put a cemetery mod on the workshop as an example for modmakers, fyi.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've got a second area I'm building up with two concrete extractors and my shuttles aren't doing anything to move resources to the main base. I can't think what I'm doing wrong. Should I manually use the RC transport instead?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Are you trying to build anything using concrete? It really seems there's a quiet "okay I need resources" check/request that needs to be done before shuttles deliver the resources.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
So I'm still waiting to see if the local drone hub finally getting completed fixes this issue, but anyone have any idea on why my guys are trying to hoof it from the top left of the map all the way down to bottom middle? I've lost like 50 colonists so far to suffocation. All the other domes have shuttle hubs, only the new location doesn't.

As another note, is the repeatable money tech pretty much how you're supposed to supply yourself? Except for the time period when I had less than 200 people I haven't been able to come to any sort of self-sufficency which is a little disappointing. I'm almost certain now that just building up research and turning it into cash would be a more effective way of providing for the colony rather than trying to maintain production chains.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah they won't generally try moving it unless you need it at a different depot. Cos otherwise they'd burn through fuel doing nothing useful.

If you want to manually move it you can use an RC transport.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Split Pea Superman posted:

So I'm still waiting to see if the local drone hub finally getting completed fixes this issue, but anyone have any idea on why my guys are trying to hoof it from the top left of the map all the way down to bottom middle? I've lost like 50 colonists so far to suffocation. All the other domes have shuttle hubs, only the new location doesn't.

As another note, is the repeatable money tech pretty much how you're supposed to supply yourself? Except for the time period when I had less than 200 people I haven't been able to come to any sort of self-sufficency which is a little disappointing. I'm almost certain now that just building up research and turning it into cash would be a more effective way of providing for the colony rather than trying to maintain production chains.
Hit the Quarantine button on the bottom dome until you get a shuttle hub up. Better housing/comfort/jobs or something there are causing the death march.

For the second thing, you are probably trying to expand too fast. The repeatable money tech strategy has a huge opportunity cost since you are giving up a lot of good techs, unless the RNG blessed you and put all the good techs early in the trees.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

grrarg posted:

Hit the Quarantine button on the bottom dome until you get a shuttle hub up. Better housing/comfort/jobs or something there are causing the death march.

For the second thing, you are probably trying to expand too fast. The repeatable money tech strategy has a huge opportunity cost since you are giving up a lot of good techs, unless the RNG blessed you and put all the good techs early in the trees.

I think the RNG hosed me more than anything. Maybe I should have focused on more on research earlier so I could get to the deep extractions which were at the end of the tree. I expanded just to get at more metals and concrete, of which most of it seemed to get consumed just building the new dome and then running out.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I've yet do do the money-for-science thing except when it's a favorable exchange rate to plow it back into outsourcing. Which can be pretty great for a slingshot early in the game if you have it as a choice.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

metasynthetic posted:

I've yet do do the money-for-science thing except when it's a favorable exchange rate to plow it back into outsourcing. Which can be pretty great for a slingshot early in the game if you have it as a choice.

How far have you gotten into the game? I'm hoping that I can do better next time around since I've learned so much on this one, but I've had so many problems keeping up with first electronics, now metals and concrete. Food seems impossible to keep up with.

I've got 6 medium domes, 4 basics right now. Most of my 6 rockets are constantly in transit for more food, electronics, metals, and machine parts. I was at 800 something population before a hundred or so colonists got some idea's from those antarctic penguins. Just short of 500 now that a meteor shower popped up and took out the only conduit/pipe line connecting two of my mediums to the rest of the colony. On another colony it hit right at the life support connection where I have all the back-up power and oxygen, while also taking out the drone hub which slowed down fixing up the other connection. No one survived in the one that got nailed right in the reserves and connections.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Can child colonists travel to nearby domes for school or if they are born inside a dome that needed factories more are they just doomed to be dumb?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah they won't generally try moving it unless you need it at a different depot. Cos otherwise they'd burn through fuel doing nothing useful.

If you want to manually move it you can use an RC transport.

I found this definitely not to be true if I had multiple universal depots within a single drone hubs range. They constantly flew and moved 1 resource between the two trying to balance the depots out.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Can child colonists travel to nearby domes for school or if they are born inside a dome that needed factories more are they just doomed to be dumb?

They most certainly can. I'm losing about 10 a day right now because my colonists are trying to walk across nearly the entire map and dying to suffocation. FWIW they do make it about 6-7 squares before they die.

E: Toggling the quarantine did fix this particular problem. Had to keep the quarantine up for a couple days for it to register though. Everyone seems to be resettling the proper way now.

Split Pea Superman fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 19, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I sure hope the Alien Artifacts breakthrough I got doesn't lead to something annoying down the road because I jumped on the -35% to all research costs benefits like it was going out of style.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
After I stabilize my production for 1-2 domes to have the population to run the buildings that require workers, I'm not sure what else there is to do in this game. I feel like I "beat it" at that point as there is really no impetus to expand beyond "just because"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pirate Radar posted:

I sure hope the Alien Artifacts breakthrough I got doesn't lead to something annoying down the road because I jumped on the -35% to all research costs benefits like it was going out of style.

Not as far as I could tell. It's real nice.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Split Pea Superman posted:

How far have you gotten into the game? I'm hoping that I can do better next time around since I've learned so much on this one, but I've had so many problems keeping up with first electronics, now metals and concrete. Food seems impossible to keep up with.

I've got 6 medium domes, 4 basics right now. Most of my 6 rockets are constantly in transit for more food, electronics, metals, and machine parts. I was at 800 something population before a hundred or so colonists got some idea's from those antarctic penguins. Just short of 500 now that a meteor shower popped up and took out the only conduit/pipe line connecting two of my mediums to the rest of the colony. On another colony it hit right at the life support connection where I have all the back-up power and oxygen, while also taking out the drone hub which slowed down fixing up the other connection. No one survived in the one that got nailed right in the reserves and connections.

Beaten 2 mysteries so far, and had one false start where I got to day 30 before realizing I'd bitten off more than I could chew from a combo of too-difficult landing site, and a poorly chosen initial loadout.

The most I've expanded so far is 4 domes in total, since that seems to be about the sweet spot before you beat the 2 mysteries I've come across so far.

How are you building out your domes? From what I can tell, 1 farm per medium is plenty, and that's just with mid-tier crops. I can certainly imagine how'd you'd have issues with the others given that huge of a population.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

2game.com sells the game for 30€ and first colony edition for 50€ with love2game code which gives -15%. I think £ gives the best price if your bank has an OK exchange rate. Don't know about any better deals.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

metasynthetic posted:

Beaten 2 mysteries so far, and had one false start where I got to day 30 before realizing I'd bitten off more than I could chew from a combo of too-difficult landing site, and a poorly chosen initial loadout.

The most I've expanded so far is 4 domes in total, since that seems to be about the sweet spot before you beat the 2 mysteries I've come across so far.

How are you building out your domes? From what I can tell, 1 farm per medium is plenty, and that's just with mid-tier crops. I can certainly imagine how'd you'd have issues with the others given that huge of a population.

As the games gone on I've taken to about 5 apartment blocks per medium. Started with 3-4, but I've wanted more workers about as everything seemed to be running low. One farm per dome worked for the most part until I started upping the apartment blocks.

I think I might have been more greedy with my construction than is intended, and just general inefficiency/ ballooning maintenance costs. I should probably play on full speed, or maybe spend more time tooling around with buildings or something. I've got the wonder that makes a bunch of metal, rare metal, and dust for concrete so I'm much happier now.

Trying to get all my colonists to a sanitarium/education dome using the preference system seems to be why my guys were marching across the wastes if anyone is wondering, or ends up having the same problem. Shuttles will drop them off at the door, but for some reason they'll decide to move to another dome and start trekking as soon as they get off.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
So, base design ideas.

This may seem obvious, but I've been using this topology for my electric grid, "power flowers":

It minimizes materials and wasted space spent on power cables. You can do the same thing with windmills. (The orientation is purely to satisfy my own OCD.) Haven't yet bothered figuring out the optimal pattern for interlinking flower cells.

I've taken to designating 'roads' in my base which are 2 hex wide paths with no obstructions. You have to be careful about your life support pipe links to avoid obstructions to this - I try to keep the first 'pipe bridge' around my domes as clear as possible to help with this.

Also, I've been organizing my fuel refineries, polymer factories, and landing zone as a unit:

Fuel refineries are towards an area with room for at least 3 rockets, and 2 polymer factories nearby. Provide enough clearance for pathing. This is probably going to be adjacent to the first dome founded. Also probably a good idea to put your shuttle hub nearby, for ease of refueling.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 19, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Shuttles! :toot: They seem to make shuffling resources around a lot more straightforward. I got my mystery (The Last War) but I’m mostly self-sufficient now so I should be okay. I need to use, like, a scratch paper to plan out residence slots/work slots better because I always seem to end up with some kind of mismatch.

EDIT: okay but is there a way to control permissions/priorities for them that I’m not seeing? I don’t need them to spend time balancing my concrete stockpiles.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 19, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

metasynthetic posted:

So, base design ideas.

This may seem obvious, but I've been using this topology for my electric grid, "power flowers":

It minimizes materials and wasted space spent on power cables. You can do the same thing with windmills. (The orientation is purely to satisfy my own OCD.) Haven't yet bothered figuring out the optimal pattern for interlinking flower cells.

It's the interlinking that's going to be a problem, you need all those panels to be connected to the same grid which means running a lot of cables around the outside of the hex.

So I find it generally easier to just use 2 panel wide rows and putting cables between them all. Later you can remove a panel from each block and put tribo scrubers in at intervals to make it free maintenence.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

IcePhoenix posted:

Also in terms of sustainability, you can technically sustain forever just off of spamming the techs that give you funding and buying the resources you need, but I wish there was true self-sustainability. Eventually the map will run out of metal, rare metal, and concrete, and the wonders that give you an unlimited source of either probably don't give you enough per day to keep more than a handful of domes running.

There's a tech that lets you rescan the map for Deep Metals/Water and Anomalies every time you research it, so you can technically keep going though you'll have to keep rebuilding.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fans posted:

There's a tech that lets you rescan the map for Deep Metals/Water and Anomalies every time you research it, so you can technically keep going though you'll have to keep rebuilding.

Wait what tech is that? Is it a breakthrough?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Okay I've been putting the crop types together and done some basic math and... I hate it. Potatoes will produce 11 food per sol (45 over 4 sols) with an increase to 16ish at 100% fertility. The cost is a dome slice and 6 workers. In comparison a fungal farm will produce 6 food per day and harvests every day with no wait time but uses 2 oxygen, 3 workers and sanity loss for working outside. The superfungus breakthrough is underwhelming for 50% more food and double the oxygen cost, it's not even resource efficient.

I'm still working on it but I figure I'll try to make my mod work better to balance out crop types between the different types of farms and synergise them. Moxies kind of gently caress this up because of how cheap they are, but I want to make it so that a hydroponics and fungal farm together could produce the food and oxygen for a basic dome. With a much higher emphasis on making the hydroponics the most efficient on water and oxygen once you get utility crops, so you could conceivably run a basic dome off a single moxie and water evaporator with the right crop choices.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

anyone got some good lets plays of this

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Demiurge4 posted:

Okay I've been putting the crop types together and done some basic math and... I hate it. Potatoes will produce 11 food per sol (45 over 4 sols) with an increase to 16ish at 100% fertility. The cost is a dome slice and 6 workers. In comparison a fungal farm will produce 6 food per day and harvests every day with no wait time but uses 2 oxygen, 3 workers and sanity loss for working outside. The superfungus breakthrough is underwhelming for 50% more food and double the oxygen cost, it's not even resource efficient.

I'm still working on it but I figure I'll try to make my mod work better to balance out crop types between the different types of farms and synergise them. Moxies kind of gently caress this up because of how cheap they are, but I want to make it so that a hydroponics and fungal farm together could produce the food and oxygen for a basic dome. With a much higher emphasis on making the hydroponics the most efficient on water and oxygen once you get utility crops, so you could conceivably run a basic dome off a single moxie and water evaporator with the right crop choices.

Oh since you've been checking it out, I was wondering: how much food does a colonist consume each day? What's an optimal farm setup look like? I've been rotating soybeans-potatoes-wheat but I started to run into food problems when I scaled up and I don't know why.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

OwlFancier posted:

It's the interlinking that's going to be a problem, you need all those panels to be connected to the same grid which means running a lot of cables around the outside of the hex.

So I find it generally easier to just use 2 panel wide rows and putting cables between them all. Later you can remove a panel from each block and put tribo scrubers in at intervals to make it free maintenence.

A lot of cables... what? The opposite is true. The picture is connected to the grid as shown.

I'm sure running arterial cables + 'leaf' nodes is simpler, simplicity isn't the point of this design though.

Haven't yet used tribo thingers yet to know how they impact. I would expect them to favor compact designs if anything.

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh since you've been checking it out, I was wondering: how much food does a colonist consume each day? What's an optimal farm setup look like? I've been rotating soybeans-potatoes-wheat but I started to run into food problems when I scaled up and I don't know why.

You don't actually have to fill out all 3 rotations. You can just alternate soybeans / potatoes if you want - not sure if putting wheat in the middle confers some sort of benefit.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I had to go test it but yeah, power-generating buildings seem to also act as power cables so the power flower works.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

metasynthetic posted:

A lot of cables... what? The opposite is true. The picture is connected to the grid as shown.

I'm sure running arterial cables + 'leaf' nodes is simpler, simplicity isn't the point of this design though.

Haven't yet used tribo thingers yet to know how they impact. I would expect them to favor compact designs if anything.

You don't actually have to fill out all 3 rotations. You can just alternate soybeans / potatoes if you want - not sure if putting wheat in the middle confers some sort of benefit.

Does the electricity flow through the buildings? I thought it didn't.

Pirate Radar posted:

I had to go test it but yeah, power-generating buildings seem to also act as power cables so the power flower works.

Huh, ok.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Power and fluids flow through domes at least.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Just scored the sweetest breakthrough tech. AI that lets unstaffed mines work at 50%. They don't even need a dome nearby. Ker-ching! An unstaffed mine running all three shifts with no need for life support mechanisms on hand? That's value for money.

If only the dust storms didn't keep loving up my maintenance budget and cutting off my resupply missions.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You need at least 1 free adult resident slot for kids to move in.

You're kidding me. I need to build a house for a grown up and it'll work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

King Doom posted:

You're kidding me. I need to build a house for a grown up and it'll work?

I'm like 90% sure I read a dev on the paradox forums post that's the case, but I can't find it again. So I think? :shrug: