Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Library of Heaven's Path is a fun read, but very shallow. If you enjoy reading stories where the MC just stomps all over the opposition, this is something you would enjoy. I read it because it's less garbage than most other crap out there, but it only ranks slightly above IET works for me because it's very predictable but amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

jwang posted:

If you enjoy reading stories where the MC just stomps all over the opposition, this is something you would enjoy.

That's literally every web novel I've read so far.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Megazver posted:

That's literally every web novel I've read so far.

I mean there's...
there's...
...Grimgar? Is that it?

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
The girl in Kusuriya no Hitorigoto is too busy injecting herself with snake venom to do much stomping

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
The MC in Release That Witch doesn't do much stomping himself, he's an engineer who gets his witch girlfriend to use her fire magic to smelt steel. He then uses that and his engineering knowledge to bootstrap his kingdom from the middle ages to Napoleonic technology. His standing army does the stomping while the opposing knights wonder what those weird metal tubes are.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Konstantin posted:

The MC in Release That Witch doesn't do much stomping himself, he's an engineer who gets his witch girlfriend to use her fire magic to smelt steel. He then uses that and his engineering knowledge to bootstrap his kingdom from the middle ages to Napoleonic technology. His standing army does the stomping while the opposing knights wonder what those weird metal tubes are.

Well, yes. The stomping discussed is indeed not literally the physical action of stomping.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

I mean there's...
there's...
...Grimgar? Is that it?

There's Walking my Second Path in life, if that's your sort of thing. (It is extremely my jam.)

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

NinjaDebugger posted:

There's Walking my Second Path in life, if that's your sort of thing. (It is extremely my jam.)

Cain being the only one who knows the whole picture but being stuck watching as everything plays out is extremely my thing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

NinjaDebugger posted:

Irisize posted:

Cain being the only one who knows the whole picture but being stuck watching as everything plays out is extremely my thing.

Good enough to pay for?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

Good enough to pay for?

I did, but I already knew I liked it from the first couple volumes fan translated. The J-Novel Club translation is significantly better than those.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This dank maymay amused me:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Megazver posted:

This dank maymay amused me:

been posted, but also funny enough that it should be posted many times so it's cool

it sums up both sides pretty well

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Checked out a few more titles.

I have a Mansion in the Post-apocalyptic World is about a guy who gets the ability to teleport back and forth between modern China and the post-apoc future China that's a thinly veiled Fallout rip-off and bring physical goods with him both ways. I like the idea of it - bring the now-useless valuables and future tech back to modern day, bring extinct luxuries to the future, grow rich and powerful in the process - but the execution is sorely lacking. The author is obviously a dirt-poor incel in real life and spends a significant amount of time describing how he'd spend money if he became a millionaire and how much pussy he'd crush, in a manner that makes it obvious he has no experience in either. But what really killed it for me is how stupid the protagonist and his schemes were and how little understanding the author showed of the poo poo he talks about. In the chapter I stopped reading, he, like, bought some pre-war techies as slaves and had one earnestly explain to him that he could turn the modern-era phones ten times more productive by switching them to D++, the more productive programming language, and it'd only take him a week, because of how ancient those phones were. Ugh.

Gourmet Food Supplier is about a guy who wakes up with software in his brain (installed by aliens, I think?) that will make him the best chef in the universe... eventually. For now, it gives him missions which reward recipes (sometimes) and sets ridiculous restrictions on how he has to handle his business that he has to obey if he wants to benefit from it. I wanted to read something light-hearted and slice-of-life-y and it's that, I guess, but it gets old quick. The protagonist is passive as gently caress, because his every step is controlled by the software and he just spends his entire days cooking, doing whatever the current mission is and not having a life outside of it, despite quickly becoming filthy rich off of it. Furthermore the story's structure is repetitive as gently caress: he finishes a mission and gets a new recipe, cooks it, then the ever-increasing cast of regulars comes in one in one to pay their monthly salaries for one meal and have full-body orgasms each time they take a bite, then someone new decides to check out the restaurant, scoffs at its bizarre rules, menu and prices, then is converted into a fanatic fan as soon as the food makes contact with their mouth, rinse, repeat.

Forty Milleniums of Cultivation is a sci-fi cultivation xianxia. There are two ways to work magic and/or other weird poo poo into your worldbuilding. One, you can take whatever it is, let's say teleportation, and try to work out how it would affect the economy and the infrastructure and the society, etc. Two, you can just go "okay, so watches and computers and trains exist, but they run on Magic Energy now, it's the modern world but with magic users". FMoC goes the latter route, which I found a bit disappointing, but the worldbuilding is otherwise decent and what you'd expect from "near future sci-fi with mechas and combat ships and robots, etc, but also with cultivators". The author couldn't resist the temptation to make the protagonist a transmigrator from our world but it literally comes up once, when it saves him from being possessed and gives him his Obligatory Cheat Power, and he never thinks about it again for the entirety of the currently translated chapters. The story is decent so far and I like the characters, including the romantic interest. The one thing that worries me is that it's apparently an ongoing story with 3000+ loving chapters already written, which at the current translation rate of maybe ten chapters a week means it'd take, like, at least six years for this to get to the finish line. Stop padding, Chinese authors, yeesh.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Megazver posted:

Forty Milleniums of Cultivation is a sci-fi cultivation xianxia. There are two ways to work magic and/or other weird poo poo into your worldbuilding. One, you can take whatever it is, let's say teleportation, and try to work out how it would affect the economy and the infrastructure and the society, etc. Two, you can just go "okay, so watches and computers and trains exist, but they run on Magic Energy now, it's the modern world but with magic users". FMoC goes the latter route, which I found a bit disappointing, but the worldbuilding is otherwise decent and what you'd expect from "near future sci-fi with mechas and combat ships and robots, etc, but also with cultivators". The author couldn't resist the temptation to make the protagonist a transmigrator from our world but it literally comes up once, when it saves him from being possessed and gives him his Obligatory Cheat Power, and he never thinks about it again for the entirety of the currently translated chapters. The story is decent so far and I like the characters, including the romantic interest. The one thing that worries me is that it's apparently an ongoing story with 3000+ loving chapters already written, which at the current translation rate of maybe ten chapters a week means it'd take, like, at least six years for this to get to the finish line. Stop padding, Chinese authors, yeesh.

man i wish someone would have the balls to go like super sci-fi xianxia

"captain's log, stardate 90163, as with the previous 900 years we are still being chased by a space wizard who wants to refine our ship into a magical treasure. in addition chief engineer radiant dawn won't stop barfing blood upon seeing the replicator's incredible heaven-defying properties, despite having seen them every single loving day before now"

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Yinlock posted:

man i wish someone would have the balls to go like super sci-fi xianxia

"captain's log, stardate 90163, as with the previous 900 years we are still being chased by a space wizard who wants to refine our ship into a magical treasure. in addition chief engineer radiant dawn won't stop barfing blood upon seeing the replicator's incredible heaven-defying properties, despite having seen them every single loving day before now"

I'd read this.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Yinlock posted:

in addition chief engineer radiant dawn won't stop barfing blood upon seeing the replicator's incredible heaven-defying properties, despite having seen them every single loving day before now"
Dwarf Fortress Xianxia?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Megazver posted:

The one thing that worries me is that it's apparently an ongoing story with 3000+ loving chapters already written, which at the current translation rate of maybe ten chapters a week means it'd take, like, at least six years for this to get to the finish line. Stop padding, Chinese authors, yeesh.

Bookworm's got 677 chapters. Blastron's done 67 of them. At his currently fortnightly release rate, it will take him an actual quarter century to finish. :tif:

Speaking of stories which take vast fantastical premises merely to recreate the modern world with bells on,

Crossing to the Future, it’s Not Easy to Be a Man, is a (deep breath) cross-dressing space opera xianxia isekai with mecha, for girls. And maybe a political intrigue aspect? There's a lot going on here. There's so much going on here that the blurb mentions events that have not yet happened, one hundred and fifty-two chapters in. 152 chapters and we're still in the prologue. I wouldn't call it slow-paced, exactly, but there's nothing here that couldn't be abbreviated if the meat of the story is much later on.

It's also kinda... gross? The setting's this horrific fascist dystopia where people are sorted into castes at birth based on their genetic potential and military service is the highest, only source of merit. Even the youngest of children are expected to solve all disputes by violence and form rigid hierarchies among themselves. But I'm not certain the author knows she's describing a dystopia?

But for all that it's probably still better than

Every Morning the Most Popular Girl at School Sits Next to Me on the Train. Yeah. So, I had no expectations for this one whatsoever. I saw the title on Novel Updates and thought to myself, "That has got to be the most pathetic self-fulfilment fantasy I have ever heard of." And, lo and behold, it turned out to be the weakest-rear end five-yandere pileup in history. But for all that it was pretty inoffensive until this happened:

quote:

Currently, I have questions about why such a beautiful girl is dating my son. Then, what was most surprising, was that my daughter liked my son. Of course, this wasn’t the “like” used between family members, but the type of “like” that you would be using for your love interest.

After they had entered puberty, I always thought they were pretty close as siblings, but I never thought that she would ever have feelings for him. Honestly, as a parent, I didn’t like it. The thought of having my children date each other, gives me a slight feeling of discomfort. It’s not an absolute refusal, but if possible, I wouldn’t want it to happen.

However, she should be free to fall in love.

So even if she falls in love with her actual brother, there shouldn’t be any problem. The people around shouldn’t be able to say anything about it. If she’s fallen in love, then it can’t be helped. That’s why I only quietly watched the confession as a bystander.

Flawless parenting.

Please do not read this novel, it's terrible :thumbsup:

I did end up putting down money to read Walking My Second Path in Life!. It's alright. Light, fluffy- I was looking for something with a bit more bite but it's solid slice-of-life nonsense. Fie strikes me as far too innocent and child-like for a sixteen-year-old, especially a sixteen-year-old princess, but that's the genre.

Jackard posted:

Dwarf Fortress Xianxia?

Fey moods that have kill-counts in the billions...

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Bookworm's got 677 chapters. Blastron's done 67 of them. At his currently fortnightly release rate, it will take him an actual quarter century to finish. :tif:

I try very hard not to think about this.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Speaking of stories which take vast fantastical premises merely to recreate the modern world with bells on,

Crossing to the Future, it’s Not Easy to Be a Man, is a (deep breath) cross-dressing space opera xianxia isekai with mecha, for girls. And maybe a political intrigue aspect? There's a lot going on here. There's so much going on here that the blurb mentions events that have not yet happened, one hundred and fifty-two chapters in. 152 chapters and we're still in the prologue. I wouldn't call it slow-paced, exactly, but there's nothing here that couldn't be abbreviated if the meat of the story is much later on.

It's also kinda... gross? The setting's this horrific fascist dystopia where people are sorted into castes at birth based on their genetic potential and military service is the highest, only source of merit. Even the youngest of children are expected to solve all disputes by violence and form rigid hierarchies among themselves. But I'm not certain the author knows she's describing a dystopia?

I think the author knows, but it's somewhat hard to tell because chinese values are somewhat in awe of dystopias, so....

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Just sounds like your regular Young Adult novel, tbh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Megazver posted:

Just sounds like your regular Young Adult novel, tbh.

the difference is that those are always about fighting the system, whereas that wn sounds more like "gently caress yeah, this system rocks". i haven't read it, though.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

blastron posted:

Well, even the published paper version of Honzuki has already taken 3 years to get just halfway through the story. Can't really demand you keep up with that.

They recently announced a second manga illustrator for the adaptation, though, who's starting at arc 3. The original artist will still adapt arc 2, so they should be doing some kind of parallel publication soon, which might reduce the estimated manga conclusion by like a decade.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

release that witch is p.good, if only for the scene where an old-timey alchemist discovers basic chemistry and has a lovecraftian meltdown

blastron posted:

your cultivation base will be enormous after you have achieved immortality in order to translate more webnovels for idiots on the internet

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
In 40K the MC and his love interest are actually about to have..... the sex. Gasp!

quote:

Ding Lingdang was dazed. Her eyes were filled with ripples, like a lake which had been stirred by spring breeze.

They stopped talking. Their eyes intertwined like four little snakes.

Quietness took over the place. It was a night with great moonlight.

Right now, actions indeed spoke louder than words.

Three minutes later…

"Wait!"

"Are you kidding me? What the hell are you doing?!"

"Stop your hand! And your mouth! Give me—two minutes!"

Li Yao almost gritted his teeth to pieces. He forced himself out of Ding Lingdang's octopus-like entanglement by inhuman determination, and, taking a deep breath to soothe himself, rushed out of the door as fast as he could.

Li Yao's speed was brought to maximum.

He had never run as fast before in his entire life.

Even when he encountered two demon generals in the Thunderous Sound Mountain, or when he was competing with twenty crystal suits in the Flying Crystal race, he had not been this fast.

After only 27 seconds, Li Yao stopped in front of the vending machine beside the gate of the neighborhood.

The vending machine of the Grand Desolate War Institution was clearly much more advanced than that in the underground ghost market of Floating Spear City. There was even a Puji Critter on the top of it as a shopping guide.

"What kind of civil magical equipment do you want, mister?"

The Puji Critter flew to the air and asked joyfully.

Li Yao didn't answer. He glanced through the closet and soon found the item that he was looking for.

However, there were so many kinds of it that his eyes were dazzled.

Seeing Li Yao's eyes which were exploding at any moment and the burning desire in his body, the Puji Critter analyzed him demand automatically.

"Why don't you try this one? This is the lightest, thinnest model in the entire federation that is refined out of the intestinal membrane of 'Nine-section Lantern Fish' with 49 working procedures.

"More importantly, it is luminous!

"As for this model, although it is refined out of natural rubber, it has more than ten tiny bladders in which almost a hundred super-tine rune arrays are stored. The rune arrays can trigger hot and cold feelings at the same time. Perfect sky-diving experience guaranteed.

"This is an ultra-solid model specially designed for Cultivators, especially battle-type Cultivators. It is ten times more stable and tensile than ordinary models. Even if you fail to control yourself at the critical moment and exert your full strength, it will still remain intact.

"Which model do you want, mister?"

Veins were bulging in Li Yao's forehead as he exclaimed, "Okay. I'll have one box of each!"

1 minute and 49 seconds later, he returned to Ding Lingdang's home.

His shoes had been grinded out of shape.

The invisible flames of hunger and irritation from Ding Lingdang seemed to be burning the entire house to the ground.

The aura of the two of them crashed in the middle of the air with cracking sounds.

Skulls of the demon beasts which had been placed on the desks, closets, and walls were all shivering.

Li Yao strode to the control rune arrays of the building and activated the muting rune array to maximum.

Whatever noises inside the room would not be heard by the outside world.

Li Yao seemed to have turned into a deadly animal. He was going to lunge at Ding Lingdang, when she made a leap forward and knocked him to the ground.

The two of them melded together like two clusters of magma.

"Let's do it!"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Also:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/plotline-to-all-17336005

Translated by StarveCleric posted:

The Plotline to All Xuanhuan Novels
Mar 3 at 4:32pm
Translated by StarveCleric
Taken from https://tieba.baidu.com/p/4313791635

Xuanhuan is nothing more than a glamorous cloak. If one were to strip away this outer layer, this is probably all there is to it.

---

The education system is split into several realms, namely Kindergarten, Elementary School, Middle School, and High School. Every realm can be subdivided into 3-5 tiers, and an unbreachable gap stood between each realm. However, such a gauging standard couldn't be applied to Xiao Ming.

Xiao Ming had never shown any particular talent when he was younger. But once, when he was playing in the fields, he suddenly felt a ray of light striking his back, and as if a Star of Wisdom had descended upon him, he was suddenly enlightened!

Xiao Ming was sent to the town's most prestigious kindergarten known as the "Heaven's Path Mathematics Hall" to study. No one could have imagined that the countryside bumpkin who had never gone through a single lesson in his life would actually score an astonishing 250 in his IQ test! Everyone couldn't help but recall that prophecy from a hundred years ago.

Xiao Hu should have been the most talented student in this kindergarten, but he swiftly found his position being stolen by Xiao Ming. Even Xiao Mei whom he fancied seemed to be interested in Xiao Ming as well. Thus, he challenged Xiao Ming to a "Death Math".

Xiao Ming might be talented, but he had barely started learning Math for ten days. How could he possibly compete up to Xiao Hu, who had been learning Math even when he was just a fetus inside his mother's womb? No one thought that Xiao Ming could win, and even Xiao Mei had persuaded Xiao Ming to give up.

However, the ever courageous Xiao Ming decisively accepted Xiao Hu's challenge! If he were to back down now, his "Pursuit for Knowledge" would be impeded. Touched by Xiao Ming's spirit, the security guard Old Master Wang secretly gave him a bronze-rank Math Cards and secretly taught him in the night.

In that Death Math, Xiao Ming and Xiao Hu turned out to be equally matched, shocking everyone. Forced to a corner, Xiao Hu took out his family heirloom, "Counting Rods"! Just when everyone thought that Xiao Ming would definitely lose, Xiao Ming actually managed to comprehend the true essence of Math and learned the "Hand-Leg Complementary Counting Art", thus making the breakthrough to "Kindergarten Grade 2" realm. With his newfound strength, he easily defeated the "Kindergarten Grade 1" realm Xiao Hu!

Xiao Ming's talent in Math was truly astonishing and enviable. Even in times of danger, he could easily turn the situation around!

When Xiao Ming reached Elementary School Grade 2, a secret realm, 【Math Olympiad Class】, emerged. The teachers would choose the most talented of students to participate in the session. The content taught there was extremely difficult, and if one were to let his guard down, he might just lose himself and die of stupidity! However, those who managed to persevere through would find themselves progressing immensely in their studies. Entering the depths of the secret realm, Xiao Ming managed to overcome numerous dangers, and when he finally came out, his Mathematics mastery had already reached the level of an Elementary School Grade 6. Even against a Middle School Grade 1, he would still be able to hold his ground!

Eventually, through his diligence and perseverance, Xiao Ming reached Middle School.

One day, while he was strolling through the library, he found a small notebook that was being used to prop up the legs of a table. Flipping it open, he realized that it was a Mathematics notebook! He couldn't tell whose notebook it was, but on the cover, he could vaguely discern the words "Hua... geng". As Xiao Ming flipped to the first page, the clouds flurried and a powerful gale blew. Xiao Ming's entirety was immediately absorbed into the content of the book. Three entire days he went without sleeping, just so to assimilate the knowledge in the depths of his mind. His academic ability surged all the way from Middle School pinnacle, nearly breaking through to High School.

Once, when Xiao Ming was attending a 【20 Days Seclusion Training Camp】, he found an equation being written on a toilet wall. That equation had been written there for a very long time. It was impossible to tell what kind of paint was used, but even the janitors were unable to clean it away. But despite the long years behind it, no one had been able to comprehend the true meaning behind this equation. Upon seeing this very equation, Xiao Ming suddenly fell into a state of deep thought. When the 20 Days Seclusion Training Camp was over and Xiao Ming failed to emerge, Xiao Ming's enemies thought that he had died and attempted to harm his kin and friends. However, after 81 days of rumination, Xiao Ming suddenly appeared once more. Using his newly acquired 【Three Variable Quadratic Equation Deciphering Technique】, he destroyed his enemies and exacted vengeance.

Xiao Ming thought that High School was the limit of one's academic ability, but who knew that one day, when the clouds flurried and a heavy gale blew, a mystical artifact suddenly descended to the world. Countless experts fought to gain possession of it, but by some stroke of luck, it ended up in Xiao Ming's hands. Taking a look——《Five Years of Gao Kao, Three Years of Prelims》. Only then did he realize the existence of College realm in this world. However, to reach that realm, one would have to undergo the tribulations of the world. To an ordinary mortal, the tribulation was only be limited to Mathematics. However, for an astounding genius like Xiao Ming, he had to undergo the Nine Tribulations of Language, Mathematics, English, History, Geography, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Politics. In order to reach higher grounds, Xiao Ming decided to cultivate for the other tribulations, but he wasn't able to find a way in.

One day, the security guard Old Master Wang suddenly descended from the heaven and nonchalantly taught Xiao Ming a couple of foreign words. Astonishingly, Xiao Ming was actually able to swiftly learn them. Stunned by Xiao Ming's incredible talent, he decided to accept Xiao Ming as his disciple, so he asked, "Are you willing to learn 【Literature】 from me?" Unable to comprehend what Literature was, Xiao Ming asked what was the relationship between Literature and Language of the tribulations.

Old Master Wang said, "Hmph! How can mere Language being to compare with Literature?" It turned out that due to a huge calamity in the past, all of the content regarding Literature had been restricted, and the classics had been burned to ashes, leaving only a portion of the heritage behind for the future generations to learn. On top of that, it was installed as one of the tribulations, thus preventing any mortal from successfully ascending to higher realms. However, if one were to master Literature, what would a mere Language tribulation count as?

Old Master Wang brought Xiao Ming to the Language realm and gave him a gold-ranked artifact——LeapFrog Tag. Xiao Ming's talent and hard work allowed him to make swift progress in his studies. Phrases that would have taken others ten days to learn and memorize, he would grasp within a single night. Just like that, he became a 【Dual Cultivator of Language and Mathematics】. Sometimes, when he found himself outclassed in his language, he would throw out a Mathematics question, "Why is six afraid of seven?" Making use of their momentary lapse in concentration, Xiao Ming would defeat them.

Xiao Ming traveled across the nine worlds and performed spectacularly in each of them. Eventually, he cleared the nine tribulations of Gao Kao and successfully entered college. But there, he saw his childhood sweetheart, Xiao Mei. In truth, Xiao Mei came from an extraordinary background. Her father used to be a demonic faction College student—Demon of the Electronic Keyboard. The demonic faction was namely divided into 【Music】,【Arts】, and 【Physical Education】. Even though they were able to reach College realm, they didn't come from the orthodox 【Academic Route】, so they were looked down upon by the members of the orthodox faction. When members of the orthodox faction encountered the demonic faction, they would have to tear each other apart. Nevertheless, this didn't stop Xiao Ming from falling into deep love with Xiao Mei. For Xiao Mei, he degenerated into the demonic faction as well, and together, they learnt the arts of the demonic faction, 【Flute Blowing Technique】, 【Art of Body Tracing】, and 【World Reversal Mighty Push Up】.

Xiao Ming thought that College realm was the very peak, but how could he have known that there was still a Postgraduate realm. Unlike College realm, one could only choose a single path in Postgraduate realm. Having learned all kinds of supreme art, Xiao Ming was unable to decide which one to further pursue. Falling deep into contemplation, Xiao Ming even neglected to bathe. One day, he became so smelly that he couldn't take it anymore, so he went to the male dormitory toilet to bathe. There, he accidentally dropped his soap, so he bent down to pick it up. At that moment, everything before him suddenly cleared up. "Why can't I become as smooth and wholesome as a soap? All I have to do is to wash everything clean while merging them together!" It was that day when Xiao Ming comprehended the great law of the universe 【Philosophy】. Shattering the void, he turned into a Star of Wisdom, in seek of another young boy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I thought that was xianxia.

I guess I don't know what xuanhuan means.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Xianxia but less daoism.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
World of Cultivation's translation ended, and it was bad. It had been pretty weak for a while but that ending was quite lame.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Like the entire last ending arc thing was largely tedious time wasting, but if the second to last chapter had the author only giving a thousandth a poo poo they did at the beginning, the last chapter feels like he gave as much less of a poo poo compared to the second to last. It's just "Well you're all hosed, guess this fight is over, also that's the end of the story". Like a good dozen characters that were important parts of the story before that point just disappeared for like the last hundred chapters. There's no touching base with them, there's no internal reflection about anything that's happening, there's no personal moments. Just wrapping things up in the most checkbox manner possible, without even pretending there are any stakes to any of it. It's real weird, and I wonder if they got burned out or if they wanted to move on to something new. Or if it was just insanely unpopular and not making money for them.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

In the more recently translated chapters, it turns out that the Evil Empire they've been fighting unending war with for decades is literally the Japanese.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Tobermory posted:

In the more recently translated chapters, it turns out that the Evil Empire they've been fighting unending war with for decades is literally the Japanese.

Yeah china novel. Fishing the Myriad Heavens has that also, I just really laughed about a MC that had the super power of a fishing pole going into crazy xainxia worlds pulling crazy bullshit up with his fishing rod.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Tobermory posted:

poo poo, I knew that from the moment they were the Twilight Empire.

Also the main character just dunked 3 ace pilots at like age 10. Which to be fair is far away from the record of becoming incomprehensibly strong at a super young age in a reincarnation story.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Perfect World eventually got boring but at the beginning it was pretty funny having the protagonist run around killing and eating monsters starting at like age 3.

And it's not even a reincarnation story.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Sindai posted:

Perfect World eventually got boring but at the beginning it was pretty funny having the protagonist run around killing and eating monsters starting at like age 3.

And it's not even a reincarnation story.

Pathetic, if your protagonist doesn't go on a killing spree minutes after birth you can't even call it a power fantasy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tobermory posted:

oh so it's irregular at magic high school, except chinese instead of japanese

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 21, 2018

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There's now an ISSTH manhua, wherein things will take a very long time to draw, but will have happened in just an instant!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Deathblade tweets about it pretty often, the art is pretty bad!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silento posted:

Deathblade tweets about it pretty often, the art is pretty bad!

This seems to be true of a lot/most of the Chinese comics I've read. I guess the industry just isn't as developed there or something.

Every one I've read also feels weird and disjointed, like someone who read a cultivation story 10 years ago was trying to recall it while delirious from a terrible fever. Like it's just this series of seemingly disconnected events awkwardly hitting the various plot points of the story. I haven't read the actual cultivation stuff like ISSTH these are based off of (I've just read MDDYA which doesn't play the genre "straight") so I don't know if the original story is as bad as the comic's, but it just comes off like a story some random kid with a poor imagination and a lot of exposure to cultivation plot-lines came up with while playing with action figures.

edit: Also, I feel like these things, including CN web novels, have much poorer translation than most of their Japanese/Korean counterparts or something. I can't help but read everything that is said in my Chinese coworkers' accent (which is fairly heavy), while I don't have this issue when reading stuff translated from Japanese/Korean. It also feels like the dialogue/prose has this "spastic" feel to it that is hard to describe.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 22, 2018

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I feel completely the opposite when it comes to translations. I've read a lot of both (something I am sad to admit) and it really feels like most of the translations of Chinese novels are far better as far as readability goes. Japanese fan translations I've read often feels like something that has been run through a machine translation or done by somebody with a poor grasp of English.

Chinese translations are, however, far more filled with cliche phrasing.

Maybe Japanese translations are better these days, but one of the key reasons I started reading more Chinese stuff is that RWX and Deathblade produced such excellent translations. This isn't really a universal thing I admit, and I think a lot of it would depend on what exactly you're reading and who is translating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean, there's just way more Chinese/English speakers than there are Japanese/English speakers. Just playing the numbers game alone, you'll probably find more adequate translations from Chinese than Japanese.