Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
No libraries in the phone app happens to me once in a while.
I usually solve this by closing the app and swiping it away in the list of running apps, so it's forced to start from scratch again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I found that the PlexVR app behaves like the YouTube VR app, in that you can drag the video screen around, including to the 'ceiling' for when you are watching while lying down. If you recenter, it will go back to the default orientation.

I also was getting overheating while using it, but that's also been my experience with other VR apps on my Pixel 1

I got an Axon 7 to use with Daydream VR and found that my experience mirrored your own. The VR experience was really cool (and I have a Rift and Dell WMR setups to compare it to) and Plex VR worked really well and was totally watchable from a reclined position as you described; I played a little Groundhog Day in honor of, well, you know. :shobon: The phone did overheat after only about 20 minutes of playing around with it (mixed Plex VR and the demo VR stuff) and the phone gave an ominous "battery overheating" warning. Obviously that's bad, and playing while charging would make it worse, so maybe the next time I try it I'll have a fan blow across the HMD. :shrug:

That's the only real disappointment with the phone VR experience, that the software is potentially damaging the hardware due to overheating. Other than that it works extremely well!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
After waiting for a $75 Plex Pass offer, I finally got one today. Here are the steps I did to "trigger" it - all or none of them could be relevant because I hear Plex are pretty random about who they send this offer to.

1. I've been a Plex user since 2013 (account age may have something to do with it).

2. For a long time I was totally unsubscribed from Plex newsletter emails - I obviously never got offers from them with these emails disabled, so I reenabled those emails about 3 months ago.

3. After I started getting emails again, I browsed to the Plex Pass purchase page, requested to buy a lifetime sub, entered my CC info and hit "Next", but did not complete the purchase. I left this tab open for ~3 weeks but got no emails.

4. I then signed up for Plex Pass to try their DVR feature, found it didn't have features I needed, then cancelled immediately (immediately as in, within 1-2 hours). I was able to get a full refund because of circumstances, but YMMV.

5. I then waited for about 2 months. During this time I got an offer for a free month of Plex Pass. I ignored this email.

6. About 2-3 weeks after getting the free month email the $75 offer popped into my account.

If you want a $75 offer and aren't getting it, try giving them some money, cancelling your sub, then waiting.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 14, 2018

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

At some point you have to ask yourself what your time is worth

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Eh it's like ten clicks to save 75. That's worth it for most people.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

EngineerJoe posted:

At some point you have to ask yourself what your time is worth

I didn't NEED Plex Pass before, and I still don't, but Plex have gotten pretty strict about having Plex Pass-exclusive features, whereas I think their policy 2-3 years ago was "it's in beta so only Plex Pass people get it, and once it's done testing Feature X will be made available for everyone".

I think I spent about 15 minutes actively doing everything in my post. I also know that I spent a few months passively waiting. So depending upon how you calculate how my time was used, my actions were either worth $200 / hr on the high side, or $.02 / hr on the low side.

Most of all, I cared about not paying full price for something that I wanted, but don't need at all. I also thought exploring the mystery of the $75 offer was interesting.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I did nothing and got the same email today....only thing similar is the age of our Plex accounts.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Whenever people ask, they say its just a random script they run on the user database. So I really don't think there's any logic or reason to it, people who already have Plex Pass get the offers even.

It is kind of funny reading all of the various methods people have on reddit, redflagdeals and other sites to "trigger" the email though :)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
What happens if you call them and offer the human $75 for lifetime?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

TheScott2K posted:

What happens if you call them and offer the human $75 for lifetime?

I emailed them to ask last year and they said can't do it, totally random, but I got one two months later, so maybe try it anyway

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I usually love saving a buck but I use Plex so drat much that I didn't mind spending >$75 for pass. Especially since I started using the features immediately instead of waiting an indefinite amount of time

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

LMFAO, Plex has had an open bug for more than a year where FLAC music synced from Plex shows up on iOS devices with incorrect durations. So like a 5 minute song will show up as being 48 seconds long.

The song plays properly and completely, but you can’t seek ahead past where Plex thinks the end of the song is.

Numerous users have posted about it on their forums and even submitted bug reports, and no Plex dev has ever responded. Come on, Plex devs! Any Plex devs on this forum want to discuss squashing this one with the Plex Server team?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex are the kings of having long standing bugs that they can barely diagnose let alone fix.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Plex are the kings of having long standing bugs that they can barely diagnose let alone fix.

This sounds like some Ubiquiti networking products as well 😁

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love Plex but the devs are all more focused on adding random things people haven't asked for than fixing bugs they add in

stevewm
May 10, 2005

bobfather posted:

LMFAO, Plex has had an open bug for more than a year where FLAC music synced from Plex shows up on iOS devices with incorrect durations. So like a 5 minute song will show up as being 48 seconds long.

The song plays properly and completely, but you can’t seek ahead past where Plex thinks the end of the song is.

Numerous users have posted about it on their forums and even submitted bug reports, and no Plex dev has ever responded. Come on, Plex devs! Any Plex devs on this forum want to discuss squashing this one with the Plex Server team?

I wonder if this isn't something to do with iOS? I would imagine they are relying on some inbuilt iOS APIs to play audio. As a fellow FLAC user myself, far as I know iOS and MAcOS has zero native support for FLAC, so they have to do it externally Granted if that was actually the case, they could at least tell people.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

stevewm posted:

I wonder if this isn't something to do with iOS? I would imagine they are relying on some inbuilt iOS APIs to play audio. As a fellow FLAC user myself, far as I know iOS and MAcOS has zero native support for FLAC, so they have to do it externally Granted if that was actually the case, they could at least tell people.

iPhones 7 and newer on iOS 11 have native FLAC support, actually.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Oh, I hadn't realized that....

Finally!

I would imagine iTunes on MacOS supports it now as well?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not the last I checked.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

stevewm posted:

You’d think that, but the bug even happens when you transcode the FLAC to something else. Plex isn’t explicit, but I’m pretty sure the options it gives when syncing (High - 320kbps, Medium - 192kbps, etc) refer to the file being transcoded to MP3 before syncing to the device.

The bug still happens if you transcode, so I don’t think it’s FLAC at fault, but how Plex is handling FLAC.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I think the 6s and 6s+ do also. When I stream FLAC from my Plex server on my 6s+ it doesn’t indicate that the file is being transcoded.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I also just received my $75 offer. A few months back I did some of the items above to try to force it after someone in the thread generously offered theirs up (and subsequently found out it was locked to the account) and here we are. Cannot say it worked directly, but here it is. I'm also a 2013-14 era registration. No idea how to see exactly when I signed up though.

Happy to do it for the sync and LiveTV. My DirecTV Now subscription is ending (free AppleTV promo) and I occasionally enjoyed using that for remote viewing. Plex Pass will allow me to tap into my HDHR and scratch that itch just fine.

edit: Subject line is "A limited-time offer for long-time customers"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I got so tired of the non-Classic Plex app crashing my Roku every three minutes, that I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my Roku.

I don't 100% love Plex's UI, but the functionality is just so much better than the Classic version, holy cow.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
What are the benefits of buying the PlexPass? I just got that offer and I'm wondering if it's worth the investment.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Comfortador posted:

What are the benefits of buying the PlexPass? I just got that offer and I'm wondering if it's worth the investment.

Mobile device sync, DVR, and access to an earlier update track.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

TheScott2K posted:

Mobile device sync, DVR, and access to an earlier update track.

*looks at title* Anyone else? KIDDING! Thanks man.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I honestly just paid the ~$70 Plex Pass fee to get rid of the "Go Premium" buttons everywhere. But to also support the devs since I used Plex on a daily basis.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

teagone posted:

I honestly just paid the ~$70 Plex Pass fee to get rid of the "Go Premium" buttons everywhere. But to also support the devs since I used Plex on a daily basis.

Same here. It's my number one most used app of all time so I had no guilt dropping money on the pass. I don't really take advantage of anything it offers right now, but who knows.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Picked up a HDHomeRun Connect Duo so I can finally do something with Plex Pass and LiveTV. Super easy setup. Two questions that hopefully someone can answer.

Watching LiveTV on my iPad would occasionally have a stream timeout, which I think was due to my PC choking on trying to transcode and stream a 1080 TV feed. Stepping down the quality in the show/channel's playback settings (in the player) seemed to fix the issue. Is there a server setting that can be changed so it's always spitting out 480p or whatever? The only option I could find was the vague "Transcoder Quality" setting which didn't seem to make a difference.

Second, I assume you can DVR and watch a channel live at the same time? I know this is a relatively new feature on some of the players and it easy enough to test out, I just never got a chance to do it last night.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
You know how a bunch of franchises get really stupid with their naming conventions and go away from the "X Movie 3: Title Name" fomat? Things like Die Hard, Fast & Furious and even things like Harry Potter.

Is there anyway to have them stay together, and in order, when you sort your library alphabetically?

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Looten Plunder posted:

You know how a bunch of franchises get really stupid with their naming conventions and go away from the "X Movie 3: Title Name" fomat? Things like Die Hard, Fast & Furious and even things like Harry Potter.

Is there anyway to have them stay together, and in order, when you sort your library alphabetically?

Yes, manually edit the info for the Movie, and change the sort title field. You can leave the title field as the actual name.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Looten Plunder posted:

Use the sort title field, e.g., for each corresponding Harry Potter movie, edit the sort title field to be Harry Potter 1, Harry Potter 2, Harry Potter 3, etc. Do the same for whatever franchise. Star Wars 1, Star Wars 2, Star Wars 3 or Fast & Furious 1, Fast & Furious 2, etc., etc.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Looten Plunder posted:

Isn't this what "collections" is for? Check out your library settings.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Does anyone have any tips for working with syncing on iOS. I’m really confused by what happened to me recently.

On the weekend I synced a season of a show to my phone. From the sync screen it said it was complete and I verified by going to the show and checking that all the episodes of the season were there.

I then watched two episodes of the show on my work commute - no issues.

Today I open plex for the first time since watching the show and the whole season is missing. Just gone from the library. Under the setting menu it says error next to sync and when I go into sync it says the season is 50% - Waiting.

How can this be possible when I was able to see the season in the library and watch two episodes? Are there situations where it will try and resync the season again?

Thanks

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I've got a load of kids tv where there's 2 episodes in a single file using the naming scheme Name.S01E01-E02.mkv so that it gets indexed correctly. When watching plex will play the same episode twice before moving on to the next. Is there some settings I've missed somewhere as I'm sure this didn't used to happen

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

fluppet posted:

I've got a load of kids tv where there's 2 episodes in a single file using the naming scheme Name.S01E01-E02.mkv so that it gets indexed correctly. When watching plex will play the same episode twice before moving on to the next. Is there some settings I've missed somewhere as I'm sure this didn't used to happen

Solved it by using a different agent to tvdb

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Can I get Plex to work on Alexa without a Plex pass? I signed up for a free trial month because I was trying to enable remote access but I canceled automatic renewal. I'd rather wait for a $70 offer and I'm from 2014. Nothing I seemed to do last night would enable it but I woke up this morning and it was all good.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I just watched a show heavily associated with a product, and immediately started seeing ads for the product on my social. The product isn't named anywhere in the show meta data, however it's a pretty clear campaign to associate with this episode of the show.

How do I turn this off?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

porkface posted:

I just watched a show heavily associated with a product, and immediately started seeing ads for the product on my social. The product isn't named anywhere in the show meta data, however it's a pretty clear campaign to associate with this episode of the show.

How do I turn this off?

Stop using social media is the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

porkface posted:

How do I turn this off?

Correlation != Causation

EDIT: To be more specific, some products have large marketing budgets and it's possible the people behind the product, knowing they would be featured on a TV show people watch, purchased more online ads than usual. Like I can't avoid an ad for Coca-Cola simply because my interests skew into markets they heavily advertise in, and I don't know what game show replaced The Apprentice as product placement central but it used to be that products featured on that show would do a heavy ad buy around the time their episode was scheduled to air.

However, "how do I turn this off" implies you think Plex is selling viewership telemetry to marketers, and that's bullshit.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 19, 2018