Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

unless you are a person who has not heard it pronounced, and believes it to be pronounced coh-eel-a-canth. Onstad.
Hella-copter, heela-copter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MMAgCh posted:

I have still yet to hear someone pronounce it as Heela copter.

And I’ve been waiting.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Everybody who gives a poo poo about how coelacanth is pronounced correctly raise their hands.

Everybody who raised their hands is Pat.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:coolfish:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

idk i tend to hang out with well adjusted people

Do you hang out with real M&M's people?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

MMAgCh posted:

Hilla-copter.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Only thing I dislike about Beef is how he was willing to let a serial murderer live , but that was more of Onstad writing himself into a corner and needing an out.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Circumstances

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Johnny Aztec posted:

Only thing I dislike about Beef is how he was willing to let a serial murderer live , but that was more of Onstad writing himself into a corner and needing an out.

Yeah, I don’t get how letting him live is the best idea because he wouldn’t kill you after you save his life. Because, you know, hed have a hard time killing you if his asschecks and brain were stabbed to death.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it was a decision that led to teodor nearly being murdered

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I feel like a one-off strip about that convo happening after Teodor escaped would have been swell

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nice Pete has the same sort of magic powers that cause everyone to always believe a character named Lie Bot.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I don’t get how letting him live is the best idea because he wouldn’t kill you after you save his life. Because, you know, hed have a hard time killing you if his asschecks and brain were stabbed to death.

I think the entirety of the joke there is that Beef can't picture Ray being able to successfully ice a dude and cover it up.

Later strips would of course establish that Ray could probably bludgeon the situation into resolution with double handfuls of hundred-dollar bills, but early Ray would be a terrible murderer.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yeah, beef's point wasn't "killing him would be bad", it was "nobody here has the temperament to straight up kill a dude, least of all Ray, so it is for that reason a more bad idea than letting him live"

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Gilacopter. Part venomous lizard, part aeronautical impracticality.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

I’ve read that panel a couple of times but only now did I catch the part about showbiz and roastbeef being twins.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Halloween Jack posted:

Nice Pete has the same sort of magic powers that cause everyone to always believe a character named Lie Bot.

Was it...Southern magical realism this whole time?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ryonguy posted:

It was a hardcover "special edition". However, they never made another black and white HC, which vexes me because there's no reason not to. There's a color edition, but gently caress buying color comics that were originally published in black and white because they always look like rear end since they were drawn and laid out specifically with the lack of color in mind. I'm happy with my signed softcover though.

For what it's worth, Bone actually looks really, really nice in color, and I honestly think I prefer it over the B&W even if it's not strictly how it was "originally intended."

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

For what it's worth, Bone actually looks really, really nice in color, and I honestly think I prefer it over the B&W even if it's not strictly how it was "originally intended."

I don't have the US comic fan gene that makes me think something isn't complete unless its colored.

Some dull muddy colors a la the Moebius reissues, and blush that doesn't exist in the original. Minor nitpicks, and it doesn't look bad, but it adds nothing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s like putting Google Eyes on “The Scream”, I definitely prefer the original

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Look me in the face and tell me you wouldn't prefer the Scream with googly eyes over without

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ryonguy posted:

I don't have the US comic fan gene that makes me think something isn't complete unless its colored.

Some dull muddy colors a la the Moebius reissues, and blush that doesn't exist in the original. Minor nitpicks, and it doesn't look bad, but it adds nothing.

These both look perfectly complete to me, is the thing. Like, I feel like you'd have to be a huge weirdo to seriously go out of your way to get an out-of-print omnibus over the in-print one because of this; the B&W looks really nice, and the color also looks really nice. :shrug:

e: I actually really, really like the watercolor-style shading in the color version, so saying it adds nothing isn't quite true, either.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only time I really gave a poo poo about a comic being (re)colorized was that terrible recolor job for The Killing Joke. Brian Bolland doing it himself makes it somehow worse.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: I actually really, really like the watercolor-style shading in the color version, so saying it adds nothing isn't quite true, either.

You can just say you prefer colored comics to black and white comics, it's okay. Calling me a huge weirdo for preferring the original published work over a mediocre cash-grab paint-over is a bit of a reach.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ryonguy posted:

You can just say you prefer colored comics to black and white comics, it's okay. Calling me a huge weirdo for preferring the original published work over a mediocre cash-grab paint-over is a bit of a reach.

Nah, dude. You're being really weird over this. That is a pretty good color job. There have been way way way worse jobs been done. This isnt MSPAINT point and fill.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

He's not being weird, colorization is dumb.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
SHUT UP! Shut up, both of you!

God, I've never wanted to start a joint company less in my life!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Black-and-white comics that aren’t simple stick figure sketches are visually cluttered and annoying, always.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

bongwizzard posted:

I’ve read that panel a couple of times but only now did I catch the part about showbiz and roastbeef being twins.

I still haven't. Is it in the alt text or have I just forgotten a whole bunch about this comic? I try not to dwell on things that were canceled too much.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I still haven't. Is it in the alt text or have I just forgotten a whole bunch about this comic? I try not to dwell on things that were canceled too much.

First panel, second row. I completely blew past it earlier myself (and had never caught it before)

(Love Ray's expression of "mild surprise" when the gun is introduced)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Javid posted:

Yeah, beef's point wasn't "killing him would be bad", it was "nobody here has the temperament to straight up kill a dude, least of all Ray, so it is for that reason a more bad idea than letting him live"

Pretty sure Nice Pete would just find his way out of Hell via the Wendy’s bathroom anyway.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Simian_Prime posted:

Pretty sure Nice Pete would just find his way out of Hell via the Wendy’s bathroom anyway.

Right.

People don't always get that beef's mind works WAY faster than his demeanor would indicate. It's only really spelled out a small handful of times (the beginning of the GOF arc has one, as well as "brisket36")

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Simian_Prime posted:

:ssh: Friendly's.

(I actually unironically like that place. :blush:)

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Detective No. 27 posted:

The only time I really gave a poo poo about a comic being (re)colorized was that terrible recolor job for The Killing Joke. Brian Bolland doing it himself makes it somehow worse.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

prefect posted:

Gah, you’re right! I was thinking about Always Sunny where Frank bangs Artemis in a Wendy’s bathroom.

Friendly’s black raspberry ice cream is the bomb

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wanderer posted:

I think the entirety of the joke there is that Beef can't picture Ray being able to successfully ice a dude and cover it up.

Later strips would of course establish that Ray could probably bludgeon the situation into resolution with double handfuls of hundred-dollar bills, but early Ray would be a terrible murderer.
The storyline in question takes place after Ray buys Airwolf, Keith Moon's Head, and some other poo poo on Ebay Platinum Reserve. Casually dropping upwards of 25 million.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

Wait, it's a real joint?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Who What Now posted:

Wait, it's a real joint?

https://www.friendlys.com/

Kind of a weird thing to show up in Achewood since there are no locations on the west coast (Though that could be a relatively recent development, they went through bankruptcy and contraction to focus on their core northeast markets a few years ago.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh yeah. That's pretty bad too. I bought it on sale on Comixoligy before I was aware they did this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

The storyline in question takes place after Ray buys Airwolf, Keith Moon's Head, and some other poo poo on Ebay Platinum Reserve. Casually dropping upwards of 25 million.

"Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink." Achewood is a celebration etc etc