Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Nosing around the Stohlquist site, they have.... an inflatable belt PFD?

Is that even safe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Guys with bass boats use inflatable vest style PDFs all the time, although think I would prefer a not inflatable one and a loving seatbelt if I were blasting around at 70 miles an hour in an open top boat.

I have the Fishing version of the Chinook and it is bulky as gently caress, no idea about the regular person one.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Those things are better than nothing, at least. Pull a string and they get inflated by a CO2 cartridge to a typical bulky vest shape, and there are straps to hold them on, like the ones you see during the flight attendant demo on airplanes. It won't help if you're unconscious before you hit the water, but otherwise, it'll do.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The fancier ones auto-inflate when submerged, but I have read enough antidotes about them failing or going off in the rain that I aint going to mess with them in a kayak.

I am going to give the Astral Fisher pfd a go this year once I find one on sale. It is a lot less bulky then the Chinook and the pockets are a ton better.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If you're hiking into places you'll probably want a breakdown paddle. I think that some people that do packrafting stuff use pretty small paddles to save weight for hiking in. I'd say that you should be as cheap as possible because most people just don't stick with flat water stuff.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
On the topic of pack rafts, does anyone have a good portable pump that isn't too monstrously bulky?

My hiking bro and I finally inflated the two that I bought around this time last year and I have no desire to gently caress around with the stuff-sack bellows system as it is extremely annoying and time-consuming. I have a little tire pump that will run off my car battery so were thinking about making our maiden voyage one where we park somewhere, inflate the rafts, drift down stream, then deflate them and hike back.

I would rather do it the opposite way, but I wanna actually get these things wet in a more controlled setting before I hike myself 12 miles up some river only to discover that we can't get them inflated. Weight isn't a huge issue as we both have good packs and wouldn't really be carrying much of anything else on these trips, but I don't want some huge bulky pump to deal with while we're actually on the raft.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I've heard tell of people using yoga ball pumps like this:

http://a.co/g1KzGh2

125g not too bad. No idea how well this works or if it will actually get you greater or more reliable inflation than an inflation bag. Also I guess you might have to do some tweaking to get it to fit the valve on your packraft well.

If that's too sketch for you there are a whole bunch of double action hand pumps in the 1-2lbs range, like this: https://tinyurl.com/y9g4wlne

I have no idea if this will work or not (I imagine if a stuff sack is OK to use these should be too..), but you may also try the "pumps" they make to inflate backpacking sleeping pads like the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir mini pump or torrent pump, which are dinky electric pumps that run off batteries and weigh around 3 and 9 oz, respectively. Might take awhile for something like that to inflate a packraft, though, and again you'd probably have to do some tinkering to get everything to mate together well. Even something like a Coleman QuickPump only weighs around 1 lb, which might be another electric option.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hot drat this dude modded his LWD to add a spray skirt, back rest, and one-way valve to inflate it in the water.

I have one of those yoga pumps and my dinghy is supposed to arrive in a couple days so I can let you know if it works or not.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Hahahahah I wonder if that PFD made out of dollar store box wine is Coast Guard approved

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know yoga ball pumps were a thing, I would love to hear how well they work.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Morbus posted:

Hahahahah I wonder if that PFD made out of dollar store box wine is Coast Guard approved

Yeah lol I wouldn't replicate that item but the rest seems legit. I tooled around a bit more on his site today, he documented a solo 10-day trip along the coast of Alaska. Had no problem crossing numerous glacial rivers even if some of the descriptions are kinda hairy.

quote:

Shortly after noon I reach the outflow of the Fairweather Glacier. It's up significantly from what it was 2 days ago and gives me pause. I study the outflow carefully. The current is fast. Like really fast. I watch it, trying to estimate the speed, and don't think I could run as fast as it's flowing. With binoculars I glass the opposite bank, then spot a possible take-out a couple hundred feet downstream. It's a small eddy, maybe 6 feet across. After that, things go to hell in a hurry. The pandemonium below the takeout, where river meets surf, is impressively chaotic. Or would be if I didn't think it might be the last thing I ever see. There's a tongue of slick water above an area of larger waves where I might be able to launch. From there I'll need to ride the tongue out into the main current, keeping the raft aimed at the opposite shore and paddling hard to avoid the bigger waves. If I hit them sideways, I could go over. If I don't paddle fast enough, I could also miss the eddy. Either way, it's pretty much game over.

Makes me feel better about my purchase, though. Even if I'm not as crazy (good crazy to be clear) as the awesome 60-year old hippie dude, the raft is capable of handling more than I'll be able to do with it for some time yet.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The spray skirt looks like nearly as bad of an idea as the PFD - which is a big no no. If you capsized with that shitshow strapped to yourself, it looks like a good way to get tangled up with the boat.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

n8r posted:

The spray skirt looks like nearly as bad of an idea as the PFD - which is a big no no. If you capsized with that shitshow strapped to yourself, it looks like a good way to get tangled up with the boat.

Would it really be that bad? I'm not familiar with spray skirts but it looks like it's just a lightweight sleeve to slide into - no straps or clingy neoprene.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Morbus posted:

Oh dear god, you're not kidding :stonklol:

Guest2553 posted:

Would it really be that bad? I'm not familiar with spray skirts but it looks like it's just a lightweight sleeve to slide into - no straps or clingy neoprene.

Absolutely it is. Water is nothing to gently caress around with or underestimate. All it takes is something stupid, like your limbs getting tangled in loose fabric billowing around you, and you're hosed. If that guy had actually capsized or been unlucky on any one aspect, the only thing we would be reading is another missing persons statistic. Please get a proper PFD and don't do anything that might jeopardize your safety.

Paddling is an awesome activity and I highly encourage everyone to get into it any way they can, but if you're new to it, I'd highly recommend finding a paddling group to go out with. It's more fun and you have someone to help you out in case anything unexpected happens.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

To be fair, reading his blog he did identify the potential safety issues of his spray skirt deathtrap and did both some capsize trials and subsequent modifications to make it easier to escape. His first trial went about as well as n8r predicted: https://youtu.be/cJs23rB5ts4

I think this guy is totally bonkers but man what a cool trip. Dat babby seal: https://www.omick.net/adventure/yakutat_lituya_2015/day_5/day_5.html

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

CopperHound posted:

I haven't used them myself, but maybe these?

They also come in solid colors. Just look up sun sleeves.

That's the dumbest loving thing I've ever seen.

I've been using these for years and they are awesome. I hate sunscreen. I hate the way it smells. I hate the way it feels on my skin. It's expensive... It's nasty poo poo and I don't get why people keep using it.

http://www.nyfifth.com/canvas-3512-unisex-driftwood-long-sleeve-p-14878.html

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 8, 2018

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
There are like a million arm guards sold for fishing with varying degrees of obnoxious patterns.

I have a long sleeved fishing hoodie that I love, used it all last year for hiking and fishing and never had to use sunblock on my upper body, it loving ruled.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

Absolutely it is. Water is nothing to gently caress around with or underestimate. All it takes is something stupid, like your limbs getting tangled in loose fabric billowing around you, and you're hosed. If that guy had actually capsized or been unlucky on any one aspect, the only thing we would be reading is another missing persons statistic. Please get a proper PFD and don't do anything that might jeopardize your safety.

Fair enough. If I'm actually at the level where I'm attempting rapids (or even something more dangerous than still lakes while backpacking, really) I like to think I'd just buy the proper gear.

bongwizzard posted:

I didn't even know yoga ball pumps were a thing, I would love to hear how well they work.

I was able to jerry rig an adapter but it sucked and was really slow, would not recommend/10. The bag was actually really quick. I didn't keep time because it was literally my first time using a blow-up bag, but my first two attempts were easily 5-minutes.

As an aside I went for the AE Ultralight paddle. It's a 4-pc paddle with aluminum construction that weighs ~23 oz but only costs $45. One of the segments can be left out to have a shorter paddle too.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

I was able to jerry rig an adapter but it sucked and was really slow, would not recommend/10. The bag was actually really quick. I didn't keep time because it was literally my first time using a blow-up bag, but my first two attempts were easily 5-minutes.

Huh, Took way longer we tried it, but I would admit to not being in the clearest mental state. I should hunt around for a video or something, as I'm not even sure we were doing it correctly.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I shake the bag around to fill it with air, cinch the top with my hands, and squeeze the bag on either side with my knees. I found it quickest and easiest sitting down but it's still possible standing up. YMMV.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

bongwizzard posted:

There are like a million arm guards sold for fishing with varying degrees of obnoxious patterns.

I have a long sleeved fishing hoodie that I love, used it all last year for hiking and fishing and never had to use sunblock on my upper body, it loving ruled.

I’ve got a couple Columbia PFG hoodies for fishing that are my favorite sun shirts now. Super light thin microfiber polyester, they’re cool and comfy. Sometimes Amazon has them for like $25, too.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I’ve got a couple Columbia PFG hoodies for fishing that are my favorite sun shirts now. Super light thin microfiber polyester, they’re cool and comfy. Sometimes Amazon has them for like $25, too.

I usually just wear my sun hoodie with nothing underneath it on the hottest days and still feel about as comfortable as if I was just wearing a cotton T-shirt. The stink issue is real but you know, fishes can't smell me so I don't give a gently caress.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bongwizzard posted:

I usually just wear my sun hoodie with nothing underneath it on the hottest days and still feel about as comfortable as if I was just wearing a cotton T-shirt. The stink issue is real but you know, fishes can't smell me so I don't give a gently caress.

Ugh, but the poor things can probably taste you

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Anything I should know about the Thermarest Quadra camp chairs? Because this is the lowest I've seen it, it's not in an eye-searing color, and apparently isn't selling, or REI wouldn't be taking such drastic discounts on it.

https://www.rei.com/product/898530/therm-a-rest-quadra-chair

Originally $119.95, marked down to $59.93, and if you buy it before the 19th of this month, they will knock an additional 25% off the sale price, bringing it down to $44.94.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Huh, that's real interesting... I love the wide feet, that's the main thing that sucks about my butterfly chair, the feet just sink straight onto the dirt. That's also cool it packs into the leg pod thing. Seems kinda heavy, but I definitely prefer the durability. I definitely see it being useful for stuff like kayaking or bike camping, and maybe some backpacking, and I do have 25$ in dividend money to spend... Hmmmm...

I'd probably just sit on my bear canister, or in my hammock or on a log realistically in any situation I'd want it. Last year I picked up a folding closed cell foam eggcrate pad, which makes a great chair and hardly weighs anything, so I'll probably stick with that.... But drat if a 20$ camp chair isn't stupidly tempting...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm not a fan of those legs personally. I also don't have a backpacking camp chair but if I did I think I would opt for one with the more traditional pole type legs. Nice thing is that you can buy it and return it if you don't like it.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've got a set of these:

https://www.rei.com/product/877258/rei-co-op-flexlite-chair

mostly for canoe trips rather than backpacking, and the feet do stab right into softer ground. They're pretty comfortable, though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

OSU_Matthew posted:

and I do have 25$ in dividend money to spend... Hmmmm...

Yeah, that's the same dilemma that I've got as well. XD

I'd love to get an Alite Mayfly, but those are just all expensive unless they're in one of the more eye-searing colors.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 12, 2018

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
What do you guys bring to wrap stuff like strains or say a rolled ankle? I've just been bringing a few feet of Leukotape rolled up in a pill bottle, but Leukotape probably isn't the best stuff for that application. Should I bring a bit of ace bandage, or would something like kineseotape work? Just looking for something lightweight to add in.

I was also looking at ways to blister package pills so I can just bring half a dozen ibuprofen and Benadryl without the bulky pill bottle. Are there any got diy blister packs or something out there, that I could just say fill it and put an adhesive back on or something?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

OSU_Matthew posted:

I was also looking at ways to blister package pills so I can just bring half a dozen ibuprofen and Benadryl without the bulky pill bottle. Are there any got diy blister packs or something out there, that I could just say fill it and put an adhesive back on or something?

They sell travel-size bottles a bit bigger then a tube of chapstick for advil, and fatter ones that hold pepto-bismol. It's expensive for what you're getting pill-wise, but you can re-use the bottles.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Still is kind of bulky, but I use one or two comparments popped out of this thing for travel pills.
https://www.amazon.com/Dose-Weekly-Pop-Out-Planner-Small/dp/B001THDDFC

I think you are over thinking this. Why not just use some dime bags for your drugs?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

CopperHound posted:

I think you are over thinking this. Why not just use some dime bags for your drugs?

This. My whole first aid kit is in a ziplock baggie. Pills are loose; ibuprofen looks different than Imodium looks different than Zyrtec. Whole thing goes in my dry ditty bag with other small loose items.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Small ziplocks. Use a Sharpie to write what's in the bag.

Ace bandage for sprains, or whatever tape you have. A strip of cloth works too.

My whole kit fits into a quart sized ziploc bag.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

K tape has way too much give to be of use for bracing a sprain or whatever. Use an ace bandage or a bandana

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

OSU_Matthew posted:

What do you guys bring to wrap stuff like strains or say a rolled ankle? I've just been bringing a few feet of Leukotape rolled up in a pill bottle, but Leukotape probably isn't the best stuff for that application. Should I bring a bit of ace bandage, or would something like kineseotape work? Just looking for something lightweight to add in.

How long do you stay in the woods and how many illnesses and injuries do you expect to have?

If any of this actually happened you could wrap an ankle with birch bark to soak up the blood and a more firm row of hickory bark to function as a brace, use some shoelaces or fishing line to tie both wraps tight, chew on some willow bark for salicin and mild pain relief

Skip the benadryl and find some marsh mallow, I'm sure there are plenty other histamine blockers in plants but that's the only one I recall off the top of my head

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

extra stout posted:

Skip the benadryl and find some marsh mallow, I'm sure there are plenty other histamine blockers in plants but that's the only one I recall off the top of my head

As someone with allergies, and with greatest respect, gooooooooooo gently caress yourself. I'm not gonna paste myself with plantain and thrash around the woods hoping to find something to stop whatever random allergen has decided to block up my sinuses and make me miserable, I'm having a benadryl and a safe place to take a nap.

I always have benadryl, ibproufin, and pepto-bismol in my mini first aid kit, and that lives in my truck, or in my hiking bag.

\/I should probably get imodium in there as well, I'm just fond of pepto-bismol for occasional stomach upset. I do also carry two or three tramadol I have squirreled away for "Oh gently caress I tweeked my back and it's not getting better any time this week time to limp home" \/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 20, 2018

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

As someone with allergies, and with greatest respect, gooooooooooo gently caress yourself. I'm not gonna paste myself with plantain and thrash around the woods hoping to find something to stop whatever random allergen has decided to block up my sinuses and make me miserable, I'm having a benadryl and a safe place to take a nap.

I always have benadryl, ibproufin, and pepto-bismol in my mini first aid kit, and that lives in my truck, or in my hiking bag.

Carrying benadryl / ibuprofen / imodium / opioid painkillers (if you have 'em) is a pretty good loadout for first aid. If you've got really problematic ankles, I guess I could see the merits of carrying an ace bandage. Seems excessive for most people in most cases. I think a prescription pill bottle with a bunch of duct tape wrapped around it is a pretty good multi use thing that doesn't take up room, and won't get crushed like ziplocs could.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

extra stout posted:

How long do you stay in the woods and how many illnesses and injuries do you expect to have?

This is pretty much the opposite of first aid. Planning for expectations is terrible advice. 90% of people don't need a high level trauma kit but being prepared for things like sprained ankles, allergic reactions etc is pretty run of the mill of the average hiker. you can usually substitute big bandages with something you have on you (bandana etc).

extra stout posted:

If any of this actually happened you could wrap an ankle with birch bark to soak up the blood and a more firm row of hickory bark to function as a brace, use some shoelaces or fishing line to tie both wraps tight, chew on some willow bark for salicin and mild pain relief

Seeing as rolled/sprained ankles tend to be one of the more common injuries in the woods, an ace bandage isn't the worst thing in the world to carry and a whole lot easier/faster to apply than sourcing a bunch of bark that may or may not exist in your area. I don't carry one personally but you could use a bandana, shirt, or any other piece of clothing as a substitute.

extra stout posted:

This is dumb. I'm not trying to be a jerk but telling someone to forego a few pills of benadryl and to instead scavenge around for a specific plant while they are experiencing an allergic reaction/attack is batshit. I don't have allergies and I carry a few benadryl because who knows what my body might decide to get allergic to and being out in remote places sucks when you are uncomfortable, can't breathe well or see clearly. Also, who knows what you might get stung by. poo poo happens and benadryl is a good thing to have just in case. It takes up literally zero room in your kit and is worth its weight in gold if you need it. People's bodies change over time and develop new allergies and reactions that you may have never experienced before. You might be with a friend who has a severe allergy they don't know about.

We get it, you know more about plants than the average person. Thats cool. But passing off your expertise of medicinal plants isn't useful to the average person as practical advice.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'll throw down with the 'use a shirt or bandana for a sprain' since it's something you'll already have. Pill-wise, I use one of those plastic capsules from a kinder-surprise egg. It's lighter and roomier than other pill containers without being excessive. Pills and cotton go inside. A strip of tape has the name of pills and the expiry dates.

I carry a few each of generic tylenol, advil, immodium, pepto-bismol, and alleive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Was that not a joke post?