Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Captain Invictus posted:

Boobie died last night...

Sorry to hear about Boobie :( I'm glad you found some new ham friends. You seem to have a knack for finding very vocal hams. Ivy talks, but its usually just quietly muttering to herself while she explores.

-CHA fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Screamer is an absolute cutie. :3:

I’m sorry about the other hamsters passing away as mentioned in the thread. It really sucks. I just had two of my dwarf hamsters pass away fairly quickly one after the other. It’s really tough as you build such a bond with them and then before you know it they’re gone. The three I had were all named after the Avengers so Stark, Steve and Bruce. Stark was put down after a suspected case of cancer. His right eye had crusted over completely and gone black and he was in so much pain. Steve went a couple of days ago. We check the cages every day but over night something must have happened as there was blood in the bedding and Steve was gone. We’ve still got Bruce left and he’s still managing even though he has sort of an old man waddle.

I said to my husband I wouldn’t get any more as having hamsters die really sucks but after that video of Screamer I’m like, I really want another Syrian Hamster. I had one called Pepper a while back and she was the best sassy hamster lady.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've just come to accept a brief life as the norm for having hamsters, and so I enjoy my time with them, and try to make their time enjoyable too, and when the time comes, I try to be there with them for it, because dying alone is a terrible thing.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Is there any truth that rodents with red eyes have worse vision?
Biscuit has vibrant ruby eyes and has no trouble navigating around her cage except that she never climbs up on things. I also give her treats by hand and it takes her a little bit to acknowledge that she has taken all the treats and the hand is now empty, this usually involves her nibbling and trying to dig in my hand before she gives up. Not sure if this is due to bad vision or that she is just a bit dumb.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

-CHA posted:

Is there any truth that rodents with red eyes have worse vision?
Biscuit has vibrant ruby eyes and has no trouble navigating around her cage except that she never climbs up on things. I also give her treats by hand and it takes her a little bit to acknowledge that she has taken all the treats and the hand is now empty, this usually involves her nibbling and trying to dig in my hand before she gives up. Not sure if this is due to bad vision or that she is just a bit dumb.

My hamster Blondie had red eyes and was definitely vision poor. Then, she was called Blondie because she was albino except for her head which was blonde - we used to joke that she dyed it.

However, most hamsters track food by scent anyway, so it's probably lingering scent on your skin. Try picking up the treats instead of holding them and see if she still does it.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Jedit posted:

My hamster Blondie had red eyes and was definitely vision poor. Then, she was called Blondie because she was albino except for her head which was blonde - we used to joke that she dyed it.

However, most hamsters track food by scent anyway, so it's probably lingering scent on your skin. Try picking up the treats instead of holding them and see if she still does it.

I will certainly try giving her the treats that way. For reference, both Waffle and Ivy will take the treats from my hand, give a final sniff and walk away without resorting to nibbling.

Biscuit is my first hamster with red eyes, so I figure I have a bit of learning to do to accommodate her needs if her vision is worse.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Meet Albin, the snow white hamster who is just shy of being albino since he's not got the red eyes and stuff, but is otherwise all white.

He is sitting on my stomach frozen as I type this, apparently he's not a fan of the ticka-tacka of the phone keyboard

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Captain Invictus posted:

Meet Albin, the snow white hamster who is just shy of being albino since he's not got the red eyes and stuff, but is otherwise all white.

He is sitting on my stomach frozen as I type this, apparently he's not a fan of the ticka-tacka of the phone keyboard

looks really cute. Maybe he'll get used to the typing noises.
About the poor eyesight, I thought hamsters have that when there's too much light?
I always had the impression they managed to see better when the lights are out, or maybe I just think that because they're just more active then.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Poor Barry's dentition continues it's downward decline. When we had his teeth ground down in December, they said he should be good for at least 6 months, but he's at least as bad now as he was before.

His chin, arms, and chest are regularly covered in a stinky morass of what seems to be drool and partially-chewed food. He is still eating, though not as much as he used to.

The worst part is, as his health has declined, his personality has absolutely blossomed. He's just the absolute best Chinchilla: playful, curious, and enjoys being handled. Also, the coloring on his face is pretty :black101:. At this point we can either pay thousands of dollars a year to keep his teeth trimmed, or put him down. Poor guy.

My boss suggested taking him to a veterinary school for teeth trimming, might cost less. Not entirely sure I want to go with the lowest bidder here, but if that's the only option it'd be worth it to keep him around for another few years.

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 2, 2018

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Captain Invictus posted:

Aww Albin is a real cutie :3:

Capn Jobe posted:

Poor Barry's dentition continues it's downward decline.

My boss suggested taking him to a veterinary school for teeth trimming, might cost less. Not entirely sure I want to go with the lowest bidder here, but if that's the only option it'd be worth it to keep him around for another few years.

I'm sorry :( . The vet school option might be worth looking into, at least to see the cost vs care aspect of it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Look who was born today

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Is that a newborn chin?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Chin Strap posted:

Is that a newborn chin?

Yep. Less than 24 hours old when I took the pic. Mom had that ebony and a beige.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
drat. We have a new roborovski hamster. And i called him Watson when we first saw him. Because i think he would look nice with a hat and a pipe.
And he came over to see what's up when I said it in a faky distress voice. But he turns out to be a she. So now I don't know...

By the way, this is not to replace mariette, who's still doing (fairly) fine despite the tumor.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

mrfart posted:

drat. We have a new roborovski hamster. And i called him Watson when we first saw him. Because i think he would look nice with a hat and a pipe.
And he came over to see what's up when I said it in a faky distress voice. But he turns out to be a she. So now I don't know...

By the way, this is not to replace mariette, who's still doing (fairly) fine despite the tumor.

How about Watdaughter

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Chin Strap posted:

How about Watdaughter
Watgirl
Watgall
Miss wat

I’m out of ideas.

Oh yeah, how silly of me. Watson is a last name. So there's no problem.
She seems to be having fun in her new environment. She discovered the wheel, oh boy.

mrfart fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 13, 2018

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Waffle was most pleased with his sand bath.
https://i.imgur.com/qr5KxLE.mp4

-CHA fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 14, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol loving amazing

I'm gonna get some for my hams. Screamer was trying to do a sand bath on a cleared area of her cage and it was hilarious/sad

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
I figured that Ivy would enjoy a sand bath since she regularly uses a corner to wash herself and roll around in. Nope, I gave her a nice sandbox and she decided to sniff around in it, get sand in her nose, then have a sneezing fit. She decided that she was done with sand after that.
Good thing she is cute because she is pretty dumb most of the time.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
The benefit of a sandbox is that most hams will start using it as a pee litter box.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ColHannibal posted:

The benefit of a sandbox is that most hams will start using it as a pee litter box.
That would certainly reduce having to clean their cages as often, at least, just wash the dust bowls. Hams can get really weirdly attached to their bedding in their nest, so reducing the stress of being plopped into a new environment semi-often would be good.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So you can use play sand from Home Depot, just bake it for a few hours at 250 to dry it out and kill anything living in it, or you you can buy “tiny friends farm bathing sand” on amazon.

Do not ever buy chinchilla dust or any super fine sand as that can very easily kill your hamster due to their poor respiratory systems.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I figured the finegrain dust chinchillas use wouldn't be good for hamsters and was going to go with sand or some other hamster-specific bathing stuff, but didn't know that it was literally lethal, dang. Thanks for the rec though, grabbed some off amazon.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
The Tiny Friends Farm sand is what I used and it is worth it. If you have any tissue boxes they make pretty good "bath houses". Biscuit has one of the small square tissue boxes on its side filled with sand as her bath house.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
interesting sand talk.
I'll have to take care of my friend's chinchilla soon.

Any tips on how to gain the trust of a roborovski hamster?
Watson moves FAST!

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

mrfart posted:

Any tips on how to gain the trust of a roborovski hamster?

I'm guessing the same as with most rodents.
slow movements and hold food that it loves.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Yeah that’s what I’ve been doing.
Hope she starts to trust us.

Sorry if this image breaks the tables. Doing a little test with the awful app.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also, don't bother, because roborovskis have the attention span of a gnat and are terrified of literally everything, including themselves

They are only slightly less ridiculous as those amazing posts about horses being stupid in the pyf favorite forum quotes thread

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, don't bother, because roborovskis have the attention span of a gnat and are terrified of literally everything, including themselves

They are only slightly less ridiculous as those amazing posts about horses being stupid in the pyf favorite forum quotes thread

Well, there's something to look forward to.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWkLiFwgeW0

Robo-ham agility.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Robo hams are adorable but my lord are they skittish. I found it took a while to get my Robo to not instantly freak out when I went anywhere near her. But yes food and treats are the way to go.

My last dwarf hamster Bruce is still hanging in there. He’s limping a little and takes a while to get around but he’s hanging in there. We’ve rearranged the cage so the water is easier for him to reach. He’s also calmed down a lot. He used to be a finger seeking fluffy missile but now he seems to really enjoyed being petted and fussed over. I don’t know how long he has left but hopefully we’re making his time left comfortable. :unsmith:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Messing around with new phone camera

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gave Screamer a bowl of sand. She doesn't know what to do with it. Best played at 2x speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIf2nPv1RW8&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 18, 2018

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Not mine, just cute:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sirotan posted:

Not mine, just cute:

I call fake!

Not one pig tried to steal another's carrot stick! :colbert:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Sirotan posted:

Not mine, just cute:

My ex actually specifically told me about this gif today because he knew I would love it and then couldn't find it again and I am glad to have seen it :3:

Speaking of ex, I decided I wanted the ham with me again and he gave her up and helped me move the ridiculous detolf and I'm very grateful because I know he's going to miss her.

She takes up a lot of my room but I am very happy, having a ham about just makes me happy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My hamsters were terrorized for a minute by a squirrel who managed to get in my room. We've had squirrel problems in the attic for years(the house us like 150 years old), once they get in its really hard to keep subsequent critters out once they catch the scent trail leading into the house at any point, they'll find a way in. This one managed to get stuck in the wall and chewed a hole into my bedroom, and took up a roost on top of my hamster cages when I went to catch it. Turns out squirrel screaming REALLY bothers hamsters, they were both freaking the gently caress out when it was on there yelling at me. Luckily it didn't knock their cages off or anything, it was a big sucker, probably 3 or 4 pounds and a foot long. Poor little guys, though luckily once things settled down some treats seemed to do the trick in calming their nerves.

edit: a detolf for a hamster cage. Goddamn, that's a big hamster cage. Really nice idea though!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 19, 2018

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I'm imagining a squirrel to a ham is like a person having a yeti on the roof

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: a detolf for a hamster cage. Goddamn, that's a big hamster cage. Really nice idea though!
I will never keep a Syrian in anything else tbh, it owns

I'm not used to ham noises at night anymore so I am TIRED today. She was rearranging her house to her liking and the guys refurbing the house next door make less noise

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Captain Invictus posted:

Gave Screamer a bowl of sand. She doesn't know what to do with it.

Wait, is she eating the sand there at the end? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Multiple times throughout, yeah. She's a good girl but not too bright. For example, this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp45KlEIKRE&hd=1