Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/PDuiCIh.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I found this in an old “gently caress-up Friday” on Reddit.com/r/AskEngineers.

terrific

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

I found this in an old “gently caress-up Friday” on Reddit.com/r/AskEngineers.
I like the article's description of one of the other times this happened..

quote:

Being a combat flight, he had a box fin two thousand pound bomb on each wing station. The anguished pilot landed on the two 2000 lb bombs with a mighty "Whump!" but nothing detonated except the Commanding Officer after he discovered what had happened to one of his valuable aircraft. The pilot was medivacked to CONUS with a fractured vertebrae and a tooth-shredded rectal orifice. Not exactly a hero's departure out of Da Nang Air Base

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Another one from Reddit:

twerps posted:

I accidentally put "speed setpoint+100%" instead of 0% into a VFD, causing a gantry crane to run away at full speed. It traveled at full throttle half down the runway. And that's what proofreading is for. ...And E-stop buttons.

Luckily nothing was broken but it gave me a hell of a lesson about double-checking parameters before firing things up.

Here's a photo of the crane when it was stowed for structural work.

https://i.imgur.com/djOgJfT.jpg

Click the link.

quote:

[–]kk_knee 3 points 2 years ago
A crane operator at the Boeing Everett plant died because someone failed to flip the track stop. He drove right off the end of the track. I'd guess that's about a 100' drop.

[–]twerps 8 points 2 years ago
I got a call just after making this post that a crane operator from another plant owned by this customer died earlier this week when he hit the end stop at full speed and was ejected from the cab.
The incident last week just got a lot more real. I'm kind of in shock now.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

CannonFodder posted:

Thankfully the carrier deck is actually rather high off the water. It's so high a B52 can fly below the flight deck.

The B52 looks like it's going down when it's actually in level flight because the wings are tilted up to facilitate greater lift during takeoff and allowing a big ugly fat gently caress to take off from shorter runways. I forget what the actual name of this tilted wing effect is though.
The 52 doesn't use variable incidence wings like the crusader, it uses massive flap sets that increase the effective incidence of the lifting surface, but doesn't actually move the wing.
:science:

(Also, what you said might infer that it was taking off from that carrier - it was just doing a fly-by. I can't tell if the flaps are down in that photo, but iirc the B52 flew with a slight nose down attitude in normal flight - at sea-level anyway)
-------
Another example of things working when other things didn't....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRURB7FdsII&t=558s

quote:

During a storm in the Pacific Ocean, Atlas was down one set of landing gear. The rest of the squadron went and landed on a nearby island due to the storm, Atlas, had to dump his fuel and had one chance to land into the net. This is a great tribute to Bug Roach (Bug can be heard on the audio calmly talking the pilot down to the aircraft carrier) and his contribution to Naval Aviation. Footage is from March 9, 1987.
I've timestamped it to just before landing, but the stuff that precede's it is also interesting - likewise the wind-down.

quote:

- Nice Job Bug
- Hey Bug - Ball1 - You are superb.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 19, 2018

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Here's another A-6 one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btRAz4MMJDM
https://theaviationist.com/2014/08/06/ka-6d-partial-ejection/

quote:

After the third fuel update call, Lizard 515 aircrew decided that the left outboard drop was going to require a little help and as recommended by NATOPS (which is The Naval Air Training and Operating Procedures Standardization program, responsible for rules and regulations governing safe and correct operation of all naval aircraft), they applied positive and negative Gs to force the valve open.

As explained by Gallagher, when the pilot moved the stick forward: “ I felt the familiar sensation of negative “G”, and then something strange happened: my head touched the canopy. For a brief moment I thought that I had failed to tighten my lap belts, but I knew that wasn’t true. Before I could complete that thought, there was a loud bang, followed by wind, noise, disorientation and more wind, wind, wind. Confusion reigned in my mind as I was forced back against my seat, head against the headrest, arms out behind me, the wind roaring in my head, pounding against my body. “Did the canopy blow off? Did I eject? Did my windscreen implode?” All of these questions occurred to me amidst the pandemonium in my mind and over my body. These questions were quickly answered, and replaced by a thousand more, as I looked down and saw a sight that I will never forget: the top of the canopy, close enough to touch, and through the canopy I could see the top of my pilot’s helmet. It took a few moments for this image to sink into my suddenly overloaded brain. This was worse than I ever could have imagined – I was sitting on top of a flying A-6!”

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

suuma posted:

Better than felling it without clearing the top, so tons of limbs get stuck in other trees and then fall randomly. They call them widowmakers for a reason.
This has to be the reason for the topper's job, that I had forgotten. In the video you can see that he cleared every branch on his way up. When that bare trunk comes down, it won't get caught in another tree.

Say Nothing posted:

Snowsplosion
I came up behind a repeating series of this (maybe a little smaller, but happening every few seconds) on an otherwise empty highway in the middle of Saskatchewan on a bright sunny winter day several years ago. Wind had blown long, thin drifts of snow directly across the highway, and many were about 3-4 feet tall and spanned the full width of the road. In between massive explosions of snow, I caught a glimpse of the back end of a Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure plow/sand truck.

He was ramming wind-packed snowdrifts the size of small cars, every second or two, at 60km/h.

I want one.
Saskatchewan Highway Snowplow by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
(from a different day, but the same vehicle type)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
"Oh - kaboom!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjyitKg45OU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I like the drifting snow plows

https://i.imgur.com/U4CRBll.gifv

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

MULTI-TRUCK DRIFTING???

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

He's just finishing with that saw - otherwise why is he lugging his chainsaw all that way up.

So busy staring at the treetop disappearing into infinity I never even noticed that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BgRdMchne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPGq7IYQHCM

The normally land based B-25 Mitchel taking off from the Hornet, a ww2 carrier to firebomb Tokyo.

At one point they were looking at the C-130 for use as a carrier on-board delivery aircraft (Ferrying important poo poo like VIPs and parts and mail out to a deployed carrier). So they first had to figure out if it could actually, you know, land on a carrier.

Yep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5AI3YSV3M

In one of the revolutions, they landed (without a tailhook), came to a stop, and then took off from where they stopped (without a catapult).

It was still too damned big and took up too much deck space so they didn't use it.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I can't imagine what frequent tailhook decelerations would do to the cargo.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I can't imagine what frequent tailhook decelerations would do to the cargo.

Well, the cargo would only have to do an arrested landing once. Because then it's delivered.

I think arrested landings are also why passenger seats on COD planes are facing rearward: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytRPvQtkdxE

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Phanatic posted:

At one point they were looking at the C-130 for use as a carrier on-board delivery aircraft (Ferrying important poo poo like VIPs and parts and mail out to a deployed carrier). So they first had to figure out if it could actually, you know, land on a carrier.

Yep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5AI3YSV3M

In one of the revolutions, they landed (without a tailhook), came to a stop, and then took off from where they stopped (without a catapult).

It was still too damned big and took up too much deck space so they didn't use it.

Yo that wingtip is miiiighty close to the tower there hahaha

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A woman is believed to have become the first pedestrian killed by a self-driving car, prompting Uber to suspending testing of its autonomous vehicles.

Police in a Phoenix suburb said a self-driving vehicle struck and killed the woman overnight Sunday (local time).

The vehicle was in autonomous mode with an operator behind the wheel when the accident occurred, Tempe police Sergeant Ronald Elcock said.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's going to turn out that the controls did nothing, or the driver was asleep. Either way Uber gets off scot-free.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Synthbuttrange posted:

Police in a Phoenix suburb said a self-driving vehicle struck and killed the woman overnight Sunday (local time).

HardDiskD posted:

It's going to turn out that the controls did nothing, or the driver was asleep. Either way Uber gets off scot-free.

I've got no lost love for uber but "in the middle of the night in phoenix" screams "drugged-up/drunk person wandering around an unlit street in the dark" to me

Given that this is a first I expect we'll hear a lot about details as they come out though

e: man I didn't even last 30 seconds

https://twitter.com/AngieKoehle/status/975824484409077760

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 19, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I've got no lost love for uber but "in the middle of the night in phoenix" screams "drugged-up/drunk person wandering around an unlit street in the dark" to me

It was in Tempe. Middle of the night in March in Tempe is drunk college students or baseball fans or homeless, but at least the streets are well-lit.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

yeah one third of pedestrians who were killed by cars in the us 2016 were legally drunk at the time

people being distracted or intoxicated and wandering into traffic while failing to yield properly is a huge cause of pedestrian deaths by motor vehicle

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I think the vehicle hitting them plays the main role.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wasabi the J posted:

I think the vehicle hitting them plays the main role.

yeah, but it's not like these vehicles left the roadway. most of the time it's a pedestrian being where they should not be. people are shockingly bad at not getting hit by cars, it's part of the reason we should be reducing car use entirely because they're inherently dangerous

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

boner confessor posted:

yeah, but it's not like these vehicles left the roadway. most of the time it's a pedestrian being where they should not be. people are shockingly bad at not getting hit by cars, it's part of the reason we should be reducing car use entirely because they're inherently dangerous

There's a death by robotic forklift that I remember happening a while ago. It was played up in the papers as basically the rise of Skynet, and then you read the article and found that the guy had been wandering around clearly marked lanes specifically for robot forklifts and was completely aware that they wouldn't stop if he got in the way. He just wanted to take a shortcut and didn't look both ways.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Was this dumbfuck really playing on his phone, at night, in the middle of a crosswalk?

Too retarded to live, christ.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Johnny Aztec posted:

Was this dumbfuck really playing on his phone, at night, in the middle of a crosswalk?

Too retarded to live, christ.

pedestrian deaths increased in the united states by 11% between 2015 and 2016, the largest increase on record

data is too spotty or limited to prove it but everyone assumes it's because of people playing with their phones while walking which includes wandering into traffic and getting hit

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

boner confessor posted:

pedestrian deaths increased in the united states by 11% between 2015 and 2016, the largest increase on record

data is too spotty or limited to prove it but everyone assumes it's because of people playing with their phones while walking which includes wandering into traffic and getting hit

I'm not trying to be :argh: KIDS THESE DAYS but this guy is literally standing in the middle of the street.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

boner confessor posted:

Wouldn't it have increased by just the same in prior years? Smartphones started becoming common nearly 10 years ago.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

boner confessor posted:

A large increase from 2015 to 2016 would likely be due to Pokemon Go.

quote:

Using police accident reports for Tippecanoe County, Indiana, and exploiting the introduction of the augmented reality game Pokémon GO as a natural experiment, we document a disproportionate increase in crashes and associated vehicular damage, injuries, and fatalities in the vicinity of locations where users can play the game while driving. We estimate the incremental county-wide cost of users playing Pokémon GO while driving to be in the range of $5.2 to $25.5 million over the 148 days following the introduction of the game. Extrapolating these estimates to nation-wide levels yields a total ranging from $2.0 to $7.3 billion.
Pokemon Go also brought out a lot of pedestrian traffic.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

AI-driven nearly silent electric cars and a generation raised with a smart phones glued to their faces....its going to be glorious :black101:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
If the driver of a car is playing Pokemon Go and catches the same pokemon at the same time as a pedestrian catches that pokemon and the car hits the pedestrian, who wins?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
We need AI-controlled sneakers for pedestrians to automatically navigate roads.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

boner confessor posted:

Or, you know, from people driving cars with their face glued to their phones.

Related fun fact about AZ

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...says/383640002/

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ExecuDork posted:

If the driver of a car is playing Pokemon Go and catches the same pokemon at the same time as a pedestrian catches that pokemon and the car hits the pedestrian, who wins?
The driver catches a ghost pokemon.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm not trying to be :argh: KIDS THESE DAYS but this guy is literally standing in the middle of the street.

he was in a marked crosswalk and stopped for a moment, assuming traffic would see him - a bad assumption on his part

i saw a dude almost get hit by a bus the other week, i was waiting at the bus station and this guy just straight up walked in front of a bus because he was playing with his phone. still on the sidewalk but crossing a traffic cut and not paying attention. he about poo poo himself when this bus loomed up a foot from his head and honked its loud horn tho lol

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I like how part of that article is all about training and education. gently caress, where did we go wrong that people over the age of 16 need to be consistently reminded "Do not step into the street where the 3000lb steel boxes will kill you, flesh loses in this battle"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

boner confessor posted:

he was in a marked crosswalk and stopped for a moment, assuming traffic would see him - a bad assumption on his part

i saw a dude almost get hit by a bus the other week, i was waiting at the bus station and this guy just straight up walked in front of a bus because he was playing with his phone. still on the sidewalk but crossing a traffic cut and not paying attention. he about poo poo himself when this bus loomed up a foot from his head and honked its loud horn tho lol

Depending on the state it is the driver's obligation to stop or yield to a pedestrian in a marked crosswalk. Growing up crossing streets in Illinois and I don't even think twice about it. Bad habit obviously but a legally binding one in many places

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Watching OSHA thread videos should be mandatory.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Depending on the state it is the driver's obligation to stop or yield to a pedestrian in a marked crosswalk. Growing up crossing streets in Illinois and I don't even think twice about it. Bad habit obviously but a legally binding one in many places

thats clearly russia so who the gently caress knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^^lmao yeah

MF_James posted:

I like how part of that article is all about training and education. gently caress, where did we go wrong that people over the age of 16 need to be consistently reminded "Do not step into the street where the 3000lb steel boxes will kill you, flesh loses in this battle"

Also this is a capitulation because the burden SHOULD be entirely on the more powerful side of the argument.