Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Oh hey, an SV tech lord wants to run for mayor of SF. Let's see his well thought-out proposals for the apparent car break-in problem:

https://twitter.com/jason/status/975101826084175872?s=21

#1 is hilariously expensive. He also seems to be unaware that the reason SF needs fewer cops than other cities is that it is geographically small as gently caress. TBF, increase in police on the street with an actual focus on community engagement (LOL) isn't a terrible idea if you have nothing else to spend the money on. Also, this would be controlled by the city council.

#2 "W/privacy protection obviously." Say hello to the California PRA, which is extremely powerful and won't abide by that. Also, the cops won't either!

#3 SF had a bunch of bait car cases tossed out because of some serious fuckery. The courts are a little suspicious of that these days. Good luck!

#4 is both illegal and unconstitutional. If he could get over that pesky 8th amendment (and the california state constitution) issues, he has to get over the fact that bail is government by state law, which mayors have no say in, bail is set by judges, who are appointed by the governor and re-elected by the people, and release of inmates is governed by the sheriff, who is directly elected. Note that San Francisco has one of the best funded and hardest charging Public Defender's offices in the nation, so you won't get away with poo poo even if you only target poor people. Also, the DA's office is elected, famously liberal and isn't going to request no bail on every loving person who breaks a window to steal a cell phone.

He may actually know less about the job, and what powers the position he seeks has, than Donald Trump.

edit: I can solve car break ins in a stupid way too: Make it illegal to leave your car with a cell phone visible and make it a mandatory tow to a locked facility.

nm fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/nidhisubbaraman/braces-wars-dentists-are-warning-that-mail-order?utm_term=.ddRmxLVm2#.ygRKLk9KQ

Interesting article about direct smile club, a sort of knockoff invisalign which doesn't seem to involve dentists or orthodontists.

quote:

A SmileDirect customer can be matched with one of 225 affiliated dentists or orthodontists in all 50 states. These dental professionals remotely review patient cases and then design the aligners that SmileDirect sends in the mail.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

nm posted:

edit: I can solve car break ins in a stupid way too: Make it illegal to leave your car with a cell phone visible and make it a mandatory tow to a locked facility.

The government stealing the cars would reduce the supply for petty thieves, I suppose. #disruption

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Trabant posted:

You load 16 blocks
What do you get?

I dunno, but you want to get this guy to sing it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI9KBLb_8ro

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Hire me for mayor! I have a 4% success rate when it comes to picking viable ideas!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Mr Chips posted:

Hire me for mayor! I have a 4% success rate when it comes to picking viable ideas!

That seems a bit ridiculous, even for this thread.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nerdz posted:

the effects of all this won't be immediate, but they will surely have bad results for SV. it's not a surprise they're extremely concerned about this.

Only the smallest companies. Anyone of any size scale has "international offices", which are often just corporate entities with people working from home or shared work spaces.

nerdz posted:

also as a previous immigrant, lol that you think the US is accessible or friendly at all to immigrants, especially compared to Canada and the EU, where most immigrants can find a country that speaks their language.

Which is a part of why many companies have this arrangement. For people you want to keep around you have somewhere they can go back to the EU/South America/Singapore/wherever for a "visa trip" and keep working remotely or with a smaller team.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
SF might as well put a venture libertarian shitfuck in the mayor's office at this point, they've already ruined the city.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/jason/status/975113256963485696?s=21

Oh hey, an SV tech lord wants to run for mayor of SF. Let's see his well thought-out proposals for the apparent car break-in problem:

This is basically what he thinks he is.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

mllaneza posted:

I dunno, but you want to get this guy to sing it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI9KBLb_8ro

Sometimes you don't even know exactly what's been missing from your life :allears:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

nm posted:

#3 SF had a bunch of bait car cases tossed out because of some serious fuckery. The courts are a little suspicious of that these days. Good luck!
Curious about this because I generally support bait bike programs, what happened?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

oh god it's loving calacanis

I set the bozo bit on this guy about a decade ago when he was coming up with fabulously useless proposals for Wikipedia

then for Bitcoin

his how-to book on angel investing is p much "you should have been friends with Kalanick like me" - or, "pick six numbers in the lottery like a genius"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Car break-ins, truly the worst possible thing people are concerned about. Surprised he isn't running on a campaign of "let the them eat Soylent" with priorities like that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

T-man posted:

Car break-ins, truly the worst possible thing people are concerned about. Surprised he isn't running on a campaign of "let the them eat Soylent" with priorities like that.

Nah that's his policy for dealing with the homeless.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My favourite is still how he casually suggests 'double number of cops'. Like dude if you're going to brand yourself a this investment genius then maybe you should try to at least have a basic understanding of how labour costs work and the scale of what you're suggesting.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I'm sure you can't just "instantly" train cops either

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Amphigory posted:

train? :confused:

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Someone's got to show them how to plant a gun on a dead guy

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Amphigory posted:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cicero posted:

Curious about this because I generally support bait bike programs, what happened?
Don't know specifics, but NPR ran a bit a while ago where, like, some family got curious at the car that was parked in front of their house for a week. The husband went to see if there was anything identifiable (or if it was abandoned) and found it was open so he rifled through the insides a bit.

Cue LocalPD swarming and charging him with theft, was taking like 5 years to expunge.

They may have driven it around the block too, can't remember the specifics.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mr Chips posted:

It's not his ability to choose winners that makes him ideal for politics, it's for having the privilege of being able to invest in bad ideas and not end up homeless at the end. Here's a free political slogan for you, Mayor Jason: "I can afford to be an idiot!"

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

There was also that thing six or seven years ago where some scummy reality show paid off the SFPD to lure people in with a bait car. They were just leaving the car running in the middle of the street with the keys in the ignition and running away.

There was this one guy tried to move the car out of the way and got arrested. He said he had proof that he wasn't stealing the car, specifically that the show had footage of him on camera and audio from multiple angles telling his friend that he was going to go move the car out of the way. The show had already aired the show with him as a criminal, and they said that they didn't have to release the unaired footage to the defense counsel because of the shield law. The whole thing turned into a big mess, and the courts wound up smacking the show down hard. Then when the show released all the footage, a bunch of other cases got dismissed because there turned out to be police misconduct that was also caught on camera.

Edit: turns out the show was literally called Bait Car.

Tobermory fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 19, 2018

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

:lol: this guy is completely brain dead, expropriate his wealth asap

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
this is Mayor Jason's idea of a winner of a project he wants to invest in:

https://twitter.com/Jason/status/975526186284498944

edit: snap

divabot fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 19, 2018

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/uber-driverless-fatality.html

quote:

A woman in Tempe, Ariz., died after being hit by a self-driving car operated by Uber, in what appears to be the first known death of a pedestrian struck by an autonomous vehicle on public roads.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

efb, but god that poor woman and her family. There was even a human being in the car! Like, isn't their sole job to apply the drat brakes when stuff like this happens?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who could have seen this coming?!

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

GrandpaPants posted:

There was even a human being in the car! Like, isn't their sole job to apply the drat brakes when stuff like this happens?

The stages between manual and autonomous are way more dangerous than either.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/24/self-driving-cars-dangerous-period-false-security

quote:

What’s left is a when cars are being augmented incrementally with automated technologies such as obstacle detection and lane centering. In theory, these can reduce the risk of crashes, but they are not failsafe. As a Tesla spokeswoman put it: “Autopilot is intended for use only with a fully attentive driver.”

However, research has shown that drivers get lulled into a false sense of security to the point where their minds and gazes start to wander away from the road. People become distracted or preoccupied with their smartphones. So when the car encounters a situation where the human needs to intervene, the driver can be slow to react.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
loving hell.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/19/17139518/uber-self-driving-car-fatal-crash-tempe-arizona

quote:

Uber halts self-driving tests after pedestrian killed in Arizona

A female pedestrian was reportedly killed after being struck by an autonomous Uber vehicle in Arizona, according to ABC 15. In response, Uber has pulled all of its self-driving cars from public roads in the state as well as in the cities of San Francisco, Toronto, and Pittsburgh.

E: so beaten.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PEOPLE RUN OVER PEOPLE ALL THE TIME

SELF DRIVING CARS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE SAFE

SELF DRIVING CARS WILL NEVER HAPPEN

SELF DIVING CARS ARE ALREADY HAPPENING

ISSUES OF SCALE WILL PREVENT THE WIDE DEPLOYMENT OF SELF DRIVING CARS

NO THEY WON'T

YES THEY WILL

INSULTS

This is your abridged discussion.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

yeah this is what i keep saying. people already can't put their drat phones down while driving manually, it's just gonna get worse when we have half-automation and imo the government is going to step in as well as insurance companies (want insurance on a self driver? here's a camera that watches your face to make sure you're paying attention)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

man if I worked at Uber and had a significant amount of stock in the company's future i think i would be seriously considering killing myself

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

divabot posted:

edit: snap

and that was the last we heard from divabot.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DC Murderverse posted:

man if I worked at Uber and had a significant amount of stock in the company's future i think i would be seriously considering killing myself

No you wouldn't.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
This is the road the accident was on:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.440...!7i16384!8i8192

some parts of the road there is really clear places to cross that aren't crosswalks, but there is also a bunch of places you are stepping directly into traffic from behind a tree, it's probably pretty impossible to say at this point if it is or isn't uber's fault.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is the road the accident was on:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.440...!7i16384!8i8192

some parts of the road there is really clear places to cross that aren't crosswalks, but there is also a bunch of places you are stepping directly into traffic from behind a tree, it's probably pretty impossible to say at this point if it is or isn't uber's fault.

no, it's pretty easy to say. the car hit a person, it's supposed to be safer to prevent such things, it's at fault

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Do pedestrians have automatic right of way in CA if not on a crosswalk? Hope the person is okay.

Edit: Just checked the news. The person was killed. Also it was in AZ. :(

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 19, 2018

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Condiv posted:

no, it's pretty easy to say. the car hit a person, the person had the right of way, the operator of the car was at fault (uber).

If the person was outside of a crosswalk they didn't have the right of way and may be legally to blame for the accident.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

no, it's pretty easy to say. the car hit a person, it's supposed to be safer to prevent such things, it's at fault

Cars are physical objects. They have physical limitations. If you are going 60 it takes 3-4 seconds to stop, period. You can't will yourself to stop faster no matter what. The brakes just can't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ynglaur posted:

Do pedestrians have automatic right of way in CA if not on a crosswalk? Hope the person is okay.

Not all crosswalks are marked, at least under california law. Many, but not all, corner to corner crossings are unmarked crosswalks that have the same rules.
Dunno about arizona though.