Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Playerbase: The AI is a loving moron and turns every border conflict into an epic total war for survival, AI allies happily throw away masses of troops and manpower fighting halfway around the globe and you're practically forced to get an 80%+ peacedeal every time you go to war with every single war participant.

Paradox: Hmm, sounds like the problem here is wars being too profitable, let's fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd be fine with it if they also made it so that when you annex a country, you just get all of their money regardless of war score rather than it vanishing into thin air for no reason.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

as a European nation you don't get crippling military penalties that literally only depend on the name of your country, don't get invaded by every colonizing nation on ten year intervals, and every war doesn't consist of sinking all the enemy transports and then sitting on your rear end for five years waiting for them to accept a peace deal for a war they cannot possibly win.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ah i love being a horde. oh but i also love being the strongest nation in the game 7 years after the start.... hmm.... oh, ah !!

ironman too

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

HOw have you done this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eh, I'm provisionally on-board with the war score change. It really was too easy to run a huge deficit and make it up through peacing out minor nobodies who weren't even your war targets. Even if you want to make the argument that some countries balanced their budgets through warmongering, that wasn't really the way they did it. Though maybe it would be nice if your main war targets/co-belligerents could be peaced out for more gold.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

super haixi-ming transplant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3R8tkvlAlk

1) as ming, get haixi down to an opm vassal
2) build a fort in every single korea province except the island
3) position units in every single korea province except the island
4) a day before the forts finish, declare war on korea
5) start to move units off, wait a day for the forts to finish, cancel movement
6) as you occupy the garrisonless forts in a single siege phase, transfer them to haixi
7) this will tank haixi and cause them to take out megaloans every month, which is really only 20 ducats
8) continue to pay off their loans until they hit -1400% liberty desire, then peace out korea for money or whatever
9) grant literally all of your provinces to haixi, which will give them a core on them
10) seize literally all of the provinces back
11) declare on haixi and full annex them, then release as vassal

because you're ditching ming anyway you can also take out mad loans and get +5 advisors to pay for all the stability and war exhaustion and rebel suppression. you'll definitely start to go up in flames at step 10) when you hit 1150% overextenstion

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

RabidWeasel posted:

The AI Players is a loving moron and turns every border conflict into an epic total war for survival

Fixed that for you.
From experience, AI is way more lenient on peacing as time goes on than Players ever are since they have a literal modifier to make sure they do. But players usually just get more and more emotionally invested in a war the further it goes.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 19, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Gotta do like Stellaris and just not let you take something you didn't claim.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I don't disagree that would be a potentially good thing but not really looking to add that to EU4 at this stage at least. But I do have some future ideas at least to promote a kind of more limitation or restraint to wars.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Anything that makes it less of a steamroll for the player after mid game would be very dope.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I like knowing that I have the breathing room if I happen to wanna play another 50 years but realistically from the 1444 start by 1700 there's nothing left that I particularly want to do. I think if you wanted to make an 18th century great power fun to play you'd have to throw in some automation.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

oddium posted:

ducats in peace deals are limited to 25% of warscore..... :negative:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Groogy posted:

Fixed that for you.
From experience, AI is way more lenient on peacing as time goes on than Players ever are since they have a literal modifier to make sure they do. But players usually just get more and more emotionally invested in a war the further it goes.

Tell that to that dumbfuck OPM without military access who wont peace out for 5 years. If that rear end in a top hat forces me to stay in the war until I can get access to him, I want something in exchange.
Basically, add some more modifiers to wars, "no access", "not my war", "suicidal" that makes people peace out sooner.

Simply limiting ducats to 25% of warscore without any other changes is bad.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

Fixed that for you.
From my experience, and a lot of people in this thread's experiences, the problem is the 5 year forced-hellwar period.

It is 1460. The Ottomans declare war on Ragusa, who is in a trade league with Bremen and is not allied or in a trade league with anyone else. The Ottomans are forced to march an army to Bremen to end the war otherwise they have to endure five years of little 5k armies to march from the North Sea to a random Ottoman border province in the Balkans or near the Caucasus OR little Bremen navies sailing 2k dudes to any Ottoman coastal province.

Its annoying and stupid that allies so distant are so "emotionally invested" in the war and refuse to surrender unless their capital, a continent away, is occupied. If one side of the war has no army or navy to speak of, and an allies' capital is under siege, they should want to surrender rather than their One And Only Province being ransacked by a pillaging Ottoman horde that hiked to enjoy spring on the North Sea.

It is really that simple - AI allies are too invested in wars that are being lost. If the wartarget has zero armies and is 90%+ occupied, the allies should be more willing to white peace *IF* they are outnumbered.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Let's not forget Ming allying with some random European power and being able to freely march armies across the entire continent to fight a war where you've completely crushed your original target and now have to wait years for them to finally maybe decide white peace is okay. Or some random overseas country who can't even send armies. Or that country in the middle of Africa you can't get to. Or many other instances of insanity where a moment of thought and a tiny sliver of effort could fix - with even something as simple as modifiers.

But no, it's the player's faults.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
The 25% ducat thing is their lazy fix for being able to peace out coalition wars on day 1 for just money.

Also, the 5 year modifier for being able to peace out allies is fine the way it is. Being able to win the war just because you 100% the goal is insanely exploitable

Firebatgyro fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 19, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I thought the AI had a massive negative modifier against making peace for cash? "We would never betray our allies for gold" or similar. :confused:

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Poil posted:

I thought the AI had a massive negative modifier against making peace for cash? "We would never betray our allies for gold" or similar. :confused:

It does but if you crank it up to 100% they'll accept

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Firebatgyro posted:

Also, the 5 year modifier for being able to peace out allies is fine the way it is. Being able to win the war just because you 100% the goal is insanely exploitable
I dont think anyone is saying this is the solution....I definitely am not saying that. I am saying the situations where two years have passed, the wartarget is 100% occupied and has no standing forces, plus their allies have all lost several battles trying to retake their land and two of said allies have been separate peaced-out, and two more allies stay in the war from their isolated position on the other side of the planet keeping the war going for another 3 years is loving stupid.

edit: Oh and the two allies that were separate peaced lost a ton of money and some land because their capital HAD TO be sieged in order to kick them out of the war, which means their opponent had all that warscore so they might as well take something.
The AI should have sort of self preservation "My allies are all losing badly, let me peace out now before I lose something, too". Their commitment to the war could even be tied into their current Relations and Trust!

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 19, 2018

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Firebatgyro posted:

It does but if you crank it up to 100% they'll accept

I'm pretty sure they changed that a while ago.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

AnoHito posted:

I'm pretty sure they changed that a while ago.

Nah you can still peace out any coalition for 100% in ducats

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
How much money is that? Like, 100 individual clicks of the ducat button on the peace screen? That doesn't scale for the player like the AI I'm guessing?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

How much money is that? Like, 100 individual clicks of the ducat button on the peace screen? That doesn't scale for the player like the AI I'm guessing?

It scales with your income but its capped at 10k, same as demanding ducats in wars.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bring back stronger countries taking over warleader :evilbuddy:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
patch notes:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-19th-of-march-2018.1080437/

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont think anyone is saying this is the solution....I definitely am not saying that. I am saying the situations where two years have passed, the wartarget is 100% occupied and has no standing forces, plus their allies have all lost several battles trying to retake their land and two of said allies have been separate peaced-out, and two more allies stay in the war from their isolated position on the other side of the planet keeping the war going for another 3 years is loving stupid.

edit: Oh and the two allies that were separate peaced lost a ton of money and some land because their capital HAD TO be sieged in order to kick them out of the war, which means their opponent had all that warscore so they might as well take something.
The AI should have sort of self preservation "My allies are all losing badly, let me peace out now before I lose something, too". Their commitment to the war could even be tied into their current Relations and Trust!

:yeah:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Firebatgyro posted:

Nah you can still peace out any coalition for 100% in ducats

I guess I can't say this is wrong because I never tried it, but every other war type in the game prevents you from doing this. This is something that is already fixed for every other war type and could probably be applied to coalition wars if this was the reason for the change.

I feel like that wasn't the reason and that they probably just felt like war was too profitable in general. War was very situationally profitable for some countries in some circumstances, not always profitable all the time, like it currently is in EU4. Looking at the patch notes, it seems like they're trying to rebalance the economy and this might be a part of that effort.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 19, 2018

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Looking at the patch notes, it seems like they're trying to rebalance the economy and this might be a part of that effort.

The first thing that crossed my mind when I read about the coal and furnace manufactory being added to the game was "who even needs more money at that stage in the game?". I guess it makes more sense now that they are reducing income and upping expenses elsewhere, but they still comes so late in the game that I wonder if there will be any point to them.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Groogy posted:

Fixed that for you.

Long wars are fine, long wars where the losing side is incredibly transparently not going to win aren't. If the overwhelming balance of probability is against you and the person you're losing against only wants a fairly minor concession why the hell would you throw more and more resources down the drain, forcing the attacking force to gain a more decisive victory and taking even more punitive measures against you in a peace treaty?

The fact that in practical terms it's only very slightly more difficult to take an 80% peace deal from the AI than a 20-30% one is rediculous, and this isn't just a problem that makes the player experience frustrating, it also makes the AI fight epic wars amongst themselves which never seem to come to any kind of reasonable resolution because they rarely manage to get such a decisive win. The AI goes from "we're at -30% warscore but we won't give up anything" then suddenly you take a couple more forts and crush their new all merc army and they're willing to give you everything.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

To me it feels like the problem is that AI countries aren't concerned with their own long-term survival, but rather as being a speed bump for the player by trying to make the player's victory as pyrrhic as possible.

Like, if I roll up to an OPM's level 1 fort with thousands of soldiers and a ton of artillery, they should be sending me peace offers before even the first siege tic. They should have a vested interest in not being totally defeated, not having to give me 100 war score worth of concessions, not having their sole province devastated by a year-long siege, and not having their citizens slaughtered by my troops (even though that's not modeled at all). Instead they sail their 3,000 strong army around Africa to occupy an undefended province in Mesopotamia. "I'm helping!"

Limiting the amount of gold you can take in a peace deal doesn't fix this. It just makes it even more annoying when you have to siege down all those OPMs to end a war in a timely manner.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 19, 2018

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I'm relatively new to EUIV ; I think this is my first DLC to come out while I've at leas understood the basics. I assume the patch is gonna break save compatibility like any other paradox game, so it's not worth messing around with it today?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Wolfechu posted:

I'm relatively new to EUIV ; I think this is my first DLC to come out while I've at leas understood the basics. I assume the patch is gonna break save compatibility like any other paradox game, so it's not worth messing around with it today?

You can always load up the old patch in Steam. It's in properties and then a subtab for beta's or something.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

OperaMouse posted:

You can always load up the old patch in Steam. It's in properties and then a subtab for beta's or something.

I'll probably just wait. Got the Britannia stuff pre-ordered, and been wanting to do an England game for a while.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Speaking of save compatibility, I am playing my first ever multiplayer game with a friend, will we still be able to play it on the new patch or would we both have to do that roll back thing to continue our game? Been quite fun helping my old college roommate learn the ropes as the Ottomans.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there anything you can do about a center of reformation that is in your own personal union's territory? Am I forced to integrate them to make it go away?

Their state religion is already Catholic.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is there anything you can do about a center of reformation that is in your own personal union's territory? Am I forced to integrate them to make it go away?

Their state religion is already Catholic.

Can't you use your missionaries on vassal territory now? That should get rid of it if you have the conversion strength for it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

AnoHito posted:

Can't you use your missionaries on vassal territory now? That should get rid of it if you have the conversion strength for it.

I believe that's a CoC feature that I won't have until tomorrow if it's on sale hopefully.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, speaking as someone who just came from CK2, it felt really weird that I could just demand all the gold from all of my enemies most of the time, especially when war reps were already in. Like, keeping a lil country around as a piggybank to hit over every now and then was strange and unrealistic

Also really hoping for a sale and that their website works this time or that the sale extends to HB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It is really that simple - AI allies are too invested in wars that are being lost. If the wartarget has zero armies and is 90%+ occupied, the allies should be more willing to white peace *IF* they are outnumbered.

:yeah:

but AI allies refusing to peace out of a lost war seems like the same problem as Spain fighting a 15 year hellwar with some Indonesians over Cocos Island, so you might as well fix that too while you're at it