Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is the pit stop to get more teef stuff done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Is the pit stop to get more teef stuff done?

Its to take a mold of my jaws to make the temporary "press fit" upper denture im going to wear for like 5 months while my bone grafts harden enough for implants. I'll have that a montj after the mold, give or take. But with how long it took for my jaw to heal up to this point it makes sense to wait here a few extra days, and not fly SJ-DEN-AZ-DEN

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Oh dear sweet baby jesus gently caress me

[13hp vs 90hp]

At least you recognize the potential for disaster. That puts you waaaaay ahead of the curve.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I mean its only almost a literal order of magnitude higher, what could go wrong

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Its to take a mold of my jaws to make the temporary "press fit" upper denture im going to wear for like 5 months while my bone grafts harden enough for implants. I'll have that a montj after the mold, give or take. But with how long it took for my jaw to heal up to this point it makes sense to wait here a few extra days, and not fly SJ-DEN-AZ-DEN

I was telling my wife about what you've been through and she was very worried about you driving up to SF to meet us.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I was telling my wife about what you've been through and she was very worried about you driving up to SF to meet us.

Dude I wanted to but I couldnt have managed the round trip, i was loving rekt

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Dude I wanted to but I couldnt have managed the round trip, i was loving rekt

We figured it might be way too much so that's why we didn't message you. I had a text typed and she was like "if Dave dies driving all those guys in AI will kill you."

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I like to tell myself that I know I would have made the smart choice even if you had sent it

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

/o/ still has pinned the giant shitpost I wrote ten years ago about not buying an I4 as your first motorcycle and despite the outdated model nomenclature I still stand by that advice

just get an SV650 or something

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FBS posted:

/o/ still has pinned the giant shitpost I wrote ten years ago about not buying an I4 as your first motorcycle and despite the outdated model nomenclature I still stand by that advice

It's not going to be my first bike, I'm just going to do a little bit of supervised one on one riding with my dad at slow speed, in our neighborhood, and a parking lot. Pretty much checking off the one and only thing I ever held against him for not doing with me when I was growing up. He always had coaching with the other brothers, and we shared very little in common except the passion for motorsports and vehicles, and the F2 had been in storage in pieces for about 10 years after he pulled it apart for a major overhaul. I always wanted to put it back together with him and learn to ride, because then we could have something to do while he had coaching with the brothers for them.

Thats why finding out he put it together and taught my youngest brother how to ride it immediately after I moved to Seattle really hurt, and after all these years mom finally said if it meant that much to me I just needed to get ovet it and go take lessons. So, almost 10 years after that all went down I'm finally proving to dad I'm taking the risks seriously, taking the precautions I can, and demonstrating I'm capable of mastering the skills required for a license and so help me I'ma ride that drat bike with that drat dad like I've been trying to since I turned 18.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Legit question, as the SV650 keeps coming up as a reccomendation. Im obviously aware of the difference between 13hp and 90hp, especially with the perspective I've gained over the last few days on what 13hp can feel like. But looking at 73hp to 90hp, the difference starts looking a little less dramatic. 2 cylinders are obviously simpler mechanically, but could anyone possibly put into laymans terms what it is between the two that makes the actual riding so different and why 73 would be fine but 90 not? Honest question, trying to learn and understand the actual characteristics and behaviors of riding, and I just dont have enough experience to know more.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

An I the only one here concerned about the camera phone pictures taken while driving the bug at high speed?

Don't die doing something retarded like that Dave, you're meant for bigger, more Michael-Bay-like things.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well I mean the last tach photo shows the speedo sitting at 0, so...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Legit question, as the SV650 keeps coming up as a reccomendation. Im obviously aware of the difference between 13hp and 90hp, especially with the perspective I've gained over the last few days on what 13hp can feel like. But looking at 73hp to 90hp, the difference starts looking a little less dramatic. 2 cylinders are obviously simpler mechanically, but could anyone possibly put into laymans terms what it is between the two that makes the actual riding so different and why 73 would be fine but 90 not? Honest question, trying to learn and understand the actual characteristics and behaviors of riding, and I just dont have enough experience to know more.

It's not going to make much difference imo. Your dad sounds like an experienced rider, what does he think?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well, he did say the SV650 would be fine to start with, but he agreed to take me out with the CBR and see how things go because of my reasons above. I just want to go for a short ride with him. Managed to convince him the idea of riding wasnt a total mistake with how well I did with my course test and exam.

An actual bike purchase is way down the road though. I need to get back to CO, and start looking into life needs first. But goddamn have the last 3 days been fun

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

:argh:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Nice. I didn't spot that.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I started riding on a CBR, and F2 at that, and transitioned to a SV650 after. The 650(naked especially) is a lot more fun to ride on a daily basis and is much more forgiving. Upgrade the rear to a ZX10R shock and put some quality springs (or a gixxxxxer conversion) up front and it’s a killer bike.

Layman’s terms though the SV is torquier off the line and pulls steadily up to redline whereas the CBR puts you to sleep until it puts you into a hedge. It’s fun but there’s a reason why when my wife decided riding wasn’t for her I sold the CBR and kept the SV. It’s a better everyday bike and with a mild amount of money it’s drat near perfect for 90% of the riding you’ll do day to day.

Also gently caress carbs and praise be to EFI.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 19, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't have experience but I would imagine the one has flat controllable power and the other is designed to suck except this rpm range is loving balls out! So then you are constantly trying to get that sweet spot even if the road situation isn't.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Stop eating hard foods like you have been doing!
Send me an address and I'll send you something more soft
Like bonfire toffee

Just pop a couple of pieces in your mouth and slowly bite down

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

SV650 is a great first bike...I put 50k+ on mine. The v-twin is more torque and smooth power where modern I4's don't have much down low but make power up top.

vs

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Also, part of the general recommendations against I4 bikes for novices is how far they've come. Assuming you're looking up the right year CBR, that's 85-90hp... and now the equivalents are up to about 110 at the rear wheel, and even more biased towards the top end. 600s are more and more homologation specials that have a lot of optimizations made so that they can be faster race bikes, at the expense of concerns about being easy to ride. 20 years ago, they weren't nearly as far down that path.

*edit* And dammit, now I'm thinking of finishing my SV650. Totally a great decision with a baby on the way right?

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Still here echoing get a dual sport. A big thumper 650 would be perfect for Dave, right levels of power, indestructible, perfect for middle-of-nowhere riding. Definitely more hardy when he 'layerdaves it after he sees a biturbo and his motor functions shut off too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I4s are frantic in power delivery like others have said. go with the SV.

rifles posted:

Still here echoing get a dual sport. A big thumper 650 would be perfect for Dave, right levels of power, indestructible, perfect for middle-of-nowhere riding. Definitely more hardy when he 'layerdaves it after he sees a biturbo and his motor functions shut off too.

It seems he's after something a little sportier, so let n+1 (where n is the number of bike dave owns) happen :getin:
Supermoto is another fun crashable bike. why take the elevator when the stairs will do

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FBS posted:

Hey my first bike was an I4 and I didn't die

1982 Suzuki GS650GL, $250. Sold it for $700, the buyer brought a friend who later turned out to be a goon but I didn't know that at the time.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

NitroSpazzz posted:

SV650 is a great first bike...I put 50k+ on mine. The v-twin is more torque and smooth power where modern I4's don't have much down low but make power up top.

vs

Thanks for the graphs, I never considered looking at the power delivery rate and had just gotten as far as comparing numbers on paper. This is a big help.

Now, say I did find two bikes of similar price, and one was a 650 single versus 650 dual. More rotorscylinders is always better right?

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 19, 2018

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Dyno plots really get the point across easily for people that understand them.

650 single would be even more torque but less peak hp. Something like a KLR or DR 650 are good bikes but they'll be a little rough for long interstate trips since they'll be nearly topped out.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

NitroSpazzz posted:

Dyno plots really get the point across easily for people that understand them.

650 single would be even more torque but less peak hp. Something like a KLR or DR 650 are good bikes but they'll be a little rough for long interstate trips since they'll be nearly topped out.

+1 to the dr, there's a 790 big bore kit for it. It's pretty decent. No amount of fuckery will ever replace that lost sixth gear though.

the twin will likely be smoother than a thumper. It also depends on the layout. Ptwins are pretty tame but make for good commuters. vtwins feel like two up thumpers and are good fun for powering out of corners.

I too, started on an I4, fzr400

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I started on a 2cyl LTD 440, then a year later got a GSXR750 :v:

My last bike was a CB-1 400 4cyl, rev happy and lots of fun. Then I almost got killed on it twice in the span of a week and gave up riding altogether :(

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao I did a quick and lovely dyno overlay after matching unit scales

E: cleaned, embiggened, and now with comedy DR200 options

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 19, 2018

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I started on a 2cyl LTD 440, then a year later got a GSXR750 :v:

My last bike was a CB-1 400 4cyl, rev happy and lots of fun. Then I almost got killed on it twice in the span of a week and gave up riding altogether :(

My first and only bike was a Katana 600. Had to sell it to pay some bills years ago and now my wife doesn't want me to ride because she's convinced I'll die doing it. She's probably not wrong, but dammit, I liked riding and I've still got all my gear.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

comedy dyno charts

My new bike is an F3. It's pretty docile and very easy going up until ~5k or so. After that, though, the power comes on surprisingly quickly for a 20 year old bike, and I can easily see where there wouldn't be enough time for someone fresh to riding to get out of target fixation or turn sharply enough to avoid controlled flight into terrain. I'm really happy to have learned how to ride on bikes with a lot less power where mistakes happen with enough time to resolve them.

Edit: forgot to add, 5k to 11k feels like a second and a half in first at wot.

Niacin fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 19, 2018

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
We're running down to the bike place, dad is taking his F2 out to play, and he's given me the keys to his 275hp/320lb ft Focus ST to follow him and see what it can do.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Aaaaaand he's gone

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Last known photo of the subject before transluminal velocities were obtained

Also a FRP tuned Focus ST is hilarious fun

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

I'm the Christmas lights still on the house.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
We literally just got done taking those down a minute ago

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

We literally just got done taking those down a minute ago

You guys take those down?

Those bastards get put up and they stay up. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Huh, I wondered what those things that came with the house were...

• Locked thread