Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
once again i must protest this wanton dilution of my brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

Why don't you go defeat the orange stymie then

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

It's better than being orange Stymie

it’s hilarious that amethyst rereged after a full year

i know that’s a different stymie shut up i don’t care

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stymie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fRuoMIfpw

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

bitch i just dont want ISPs to give a gently caress about the content of what im getting besides the blatantly illegal poo poo

im paying you $ for mbps not $ for youtube

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

MononcQc posted:

Videotron 

Good band name

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

infernal machines posted:

whatever you do, don't date a stupid serial killer, they're the worst

stupid serial killers are just arsonists

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
who the gently caress is orange stymie

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

*ahem*

It’s you.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

President Beep posted:

*ahem*

It’s you.

says the man with orange av

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

turn your monitor on!!!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hey this is pretty neat

https://www.fastcompany.com/40546112/police-are-asking-google-to-provide-user-data-for-all-people-near-crime-scenes

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

If by neat you mean loving lovely.

I assumed by asking Google they only got Anroid phones, but even still, there’s airplane mode, turning it off, and leaving the phone behind. It’s an invasion of privacy for no reason.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I assumed by asking Google they only got Anroid phones, but even still, there’s airplane mode, turning it off, and leaving the phone behind. It’s an invasion of privacy for no reason.

it’s incredibly hosed up.

also, doesn’t anything running google maps share locational data?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
yes, and turning off location / gps isn't enough because they track all wifi SSIDs as well as cell towers

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

jony neuemonic posted:

i tried this and totally lost touch with a few people. messenger is too convenient. :(

Haha, yeah, I've got a story about that!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.wired.com/story/zello-app-turned-blind-eye-to-jihadis-for-years/

quote:

IN THE EARLY morning of September 9, 2016, Bill Moore, CEO of the Austin-based walkie-talkie app company Zello, contacted the Middle East Media Research Institute. He was seeking a copy of a report MEMRI had recently published describing how ISIS members and supporters were using Zello, which allows people to send voice messages to each other in private and also public channels. Moore had learned about the findings through a Google Alert.

“Can you share a copy of the report explaining ISIS uses Zello? I'm the CEO of Zello,” the message read, according to emails reviewed by WIRED and confirmed by Moore and MEMRI.

Hours later, MEMRI deputy director Elliot Zweig sent him the report. While MEMRI hadn't collected actual messages, its findings included screenshots of Zello users whose avatars featured photos of ISIS’s iconic black flags, and public channels with names like “Islamic State Channel.” One channel called simply “Jihad.” described itself this way: “For the Brothers who desire to be with Mujahideen & to talk about Jihad and Islam.” Some of the channels had been advertised by ISIS sympathizers on another encrypted app, Telegram. The list wasn't comprehensive, and didn't reference any specifically troubling conversations; it was just a snapshot of accounts and channels MEMRI found easily at the time.

In his response, Zweig offered to connect Moore with the executive director of MEMRI, Steven Stalinsky. When he heard nothing back, Zweig extended the offer again. This time, Moore replied: “Confirming receipt, thank you very much. No need from our side to discuss now.”

A few weeks later, Zweig tried one more time. “We note that the ISIS and other jihadi accounts mentioned in our report are still active on your service, and would like to again offer the opportunity for a briefing/conversation with our executive director,” he wrote.

Moore never got back in touch—that is, until just last week, when MEMRI published yet another report showing that nearly all of the channels it flagged in 2016 were still live.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Orange stymie is the worst, even worse than blue stymie

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
And that's very bad indeed

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

quote:

The account IDs aren't limited to electronics running Android. The warrant includes any device running location-enabled Google apps, according to Raleigh Police Department spokeswoman Laura Hourigan.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i assume google’s legal team will respond with “please actually put more than 15s of thought into what is included in this warrant”

there’s been articles about these sort of ridiculous requests and usually there’s a follow up a few days later about how they are narrowing the warrant

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

turn your monitor on
adjust your monitor colors

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sekenr posted:

Heh, want to try a fun youtube game? go to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5surb3gp1hU

press "dislike
refresh page

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

hahaha no way

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

fishmech posted:

Orange stymie is the worst, even worse than blue stymie

Spicy Stymie and Cool Original Stymie

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

there are now and forever only three stymies

gray stymie (stymie)
blue stymie (amethyst)
bread stymie (kewpuh)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

bread stymie (kewpuh)

lol. what a lovely moniker.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rex-Goliath posted:

hahaha no way

yep. my suspicious russian acquaintance says that it got glazed as soon as it reaches 25k dislikes, and the like inflation got plugged in around the same time

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Jason/status/975101826084175872?s=19

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i'm "obviously"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i don't know just add privacy protection then god what do i pay you eggheads to do

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
just set protect_privacy to TRUE before sending the request, duh

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

tech bubble

https://twitter.com/daiwaka/status/975771533745336320?s=21

https://twitter.com/abposner/status/975776198251991045?s=21

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tempe arizona?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

We gotta hear all sides of the vehicular manslaughter story you guys

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

according to that twitter thread this is just how you drive in arizona:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...isis/422808002/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

now we have to solve the mystery of what could possibly compel a woman to run at high speed towards our innocent car and thrust herself forcefully through the windshield like that, which is what the telemetry says happened

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/politico/status/975768900473323520

The truth is that the aging are currently an afterthought in technology design. As FaceTime has supplanted Skype as a way to video-chat with family, desktop users have lost out. As mobile banking has replaced the branch, customers who rely on brick-and-mortar banks face new burdens to safeguard their money. As companies have moved to automated “chatbots” instead of live human phone support, the aging can find it frustrating to access automated services from phone installation to travel planning. Apple’s app store offers guidance and features to support accessible apps, but it doesn’t enforce these guidelines on app-makers.

The example of Uber and Lyft is particularly illustrative. For aging Americans on fixed incomes and unable to drive, the arrival of a low-cost competitor to taxi services should have been a big win. Yet the new ride-sharing services also rolled back accessibility features historically offered by taxi companies – for example, the ability to hail a ride by calling from a landline phone, the availability of cars and vans fitted for wheelchairs, and (at least initially) the ability to arrange a ride in advance. As Uber and Lyft reduced the number of traditional taxis, many seniors have faced longer wait times and less predictability – a trend that will likely continue.

Yet under pressure from activists and regulators, both companies have taken positive steps to bring the aging and disabled into their customer base. Under the threat of a ban in London, Uber made wheelchair-accessible vehicles available at the same price as ordinary Uber rides. Yet in other cities, Uber has offered only half-measures – the wheelchair-accessible option in Washington, D.C., for instance, simply calls an accessible D.C. taxi and tacks on a $2 fee. In San Francisco, the accessible option is available in the app but often supported by zero cars on the road. And in most cities, there’s no accessible option at all.

lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

great job Uber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
uber killed a pedestrian

Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Arizona Pedestrian https://nyti.ms/2u3QDYx