Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Crushing my soul all the way to the bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Hoodwinker posted:

https://twitter.com/ja2ke/status/975471766305845248

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

The left path leads to the glue factory.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I feel like this must be in Vegas

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I F***ed Up (car loan)
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/85jvew/i_fed_up_car_loan/

quote:

So I just financed my first car and my first payment is coming up. A little backstory when getting the car... I walk into the used car dealership and say im interested in the vw... Right away they hand me the keys and tell me to take it for a test drive. When i come back they asked if i enjoyed it and i said yeah, they then asked if I wanted to finance or buy. I replied with finance. They quickly started getting the paperwork together, gathering my information, etc. But first i told them i wanted to take it to my uncle to make sure it was a good car. as im gone they call me and say everything went through they just need my signature. I go back and sign and thats it. (at first i thought this was a little fishy but payed no mind because i was so excited about having my first car) So fast forward to now, my payment is coming up... they didnt even tell me how much i would be paying a month or any details of the car loan. I had to call them and ask. I make an account with the car loan company online to see how much i need to pay back. My current balance is $15,000 for a $6,000 car that i made a $2,000 up front payment for. The monthly payment is $300. I'm 20 years old, still in school and working a part time job. I know I've done something stupid and maybe the dumbest I could've done but when I was buying the car the only thing i was concerned with was the condition of the car and how i couldn't wait to get home. Financing never came to mind. Here i am now, asking for advice on how i should proceed.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Don't deprive yourself of reading the comments on that post, either. They don't disappoint.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Doesn’t the US have laws where every car finance agreement has to have a table that really clearly lays out THIS IS YOUR PAYMENT, THIS IS THE TOTAL LOAN AMOUNT, THIS IS HOW MUCH YOU’RE PAYING IN INTEREST?

I remember thinking how hilariously addressed to idiots it was last time I helped someone shop for a car, but welp I guess there’s a drat good reason for that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

OP posted:

They didn't give me any papers. Just a license plate and some papers to sign.
:psyduck:

"They didn't give me any papers, they just gave me papers. To sign. That I apparently didn't read at all."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I wonder what would happen if you went to one of those BHPH lots, said you “hadn’t really looked at financing,” talked them down because they think you’re going to pay 10% interest or something, and then say you’ve actually decided to pay cash. I know they would probably refuse to sell at that price anymore, but it’s fun to think about.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wonder what would happen if you went to one of those BHPH lots, said you “hadn’t really looked at financing,” talked them down because they think you’re going to pay 10% interest or something, and then say you’ve actually decided to pay cash. I know they would probably refuse to sell at that price anymore, but it’s fun to think about.

Always negotiate price first. If you have a monthly payment in mind, a dealer can always hit that payment target by extending the loan or dicking you on your trade-in or whatever. Saying "I hadn't really looked at financing yet, I'm just interested in the best price I can get on the car I want" should be your default position, because financing shouldn't even be on the table until you have a firm price quote.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well yeah, I’m just wondering if you could get them to stick to an agreement when you bait and switch them with in house financing over to cash. I assume the sale isn’t signed before the financing, or is it? Never bought from one of those places.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well yeah, I’m just wondering if you could get them to stick to an agreement when you bait and switch them with in house financing over to cash. I assume the sale isn’t signed before the financing, or is it? Never bought from one of those places.

A trick a buddy of mine has used is to get the price you want and agree to financing, but only after verifying there are no fees or anything for paying off the loan early.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I want to open a BHPH lot. Talk about good with money!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

A trick a buddy of mine has used is to get the price you want and agree to financing, but only after verifying there are no fees or anything for paying off the loan early.

That’s actually a pretty good idea. You get a hard pull on your credit, but you really shouldn’t be doing too many of those or you’ve got other problems anyway.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Car buying chat :stare:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I bought a car cash and have a hard pull on my credit report for some reason.

I know they usually feed you some bullshit about the patriot act but I legit never ever signed anything of the sort to allow it.

gently caress buying cars! Gimme that hyperloop already

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I know they usually feed you some bullshit about the patriot act but I legit never ever signed anything of the sort to allow it.

That sounds like a lawsuit to me.

Suing dishonest businesses is GWM.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is super illegal and the Patriot Act doesn't require your credit run for cash purchases. They're full of poo poo.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

FrozenVent posted:

Doesn’t the US have laws where every car finance agreement has to have a table that really clearly lays out THIS IS YOUR PAYMENT, THIS IS THE TOTAL LOAN AMOUNT, THIS IS HOW MUCH YOU’RE PAYING IN INTEREST?

I remember thinking how hilariously addressed to idiots it was last time I helped someone shop for a car, but welp I guess there’s a drat good reason for that.

That table exists because of all the ways you can slip additional costs into the loan that most people don't know enough to look for.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Hoodwinker posted:

I posted this to FB and not five minutes later I get messaged by someone I haven't spoken to since high school who is an "Elite Level V Lexus Achiever" at an MLM. Someone's defensive.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

Sounds like math, nerd!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

howdoesishotweb posted:

Sounds like math, nerd!

Funny how many people are financially hosed by even the most basic mathematics. Look at zaurg.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Devian666 posted:

Funny how many people are financially hosed by even the most basic mathematics. Look at zaurg.

That crypto is gonna go up any day now.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

totalnewbie posted:

It's almost as if running a successful business takes more than just a few youtube videos and 10 minutes setting up a Shopify storefront.

But if you send me a check for 394.50, I will tell you the actual secrets to running a successful business.

Yup, nobody will ever figure out how to just buy their cheap stuff direct straight from China without middlemen after tyool 2010.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FrozenVent posted:

That crypto is gonna go up any day now.

Questions in the electrical wiring thread:

MarksMan posted:

The larger units will use around 1,375w or 32,928kW/day since I plan to run 24/7 if possible; I read somewhere/was told they use 10 amps per unit. The smaller units I'm somewhat less clear on -- the specs say 800W +10% at the wall. Initially I won't be using that full load of power. I'm for sure going to be running 25 of them that I already have that are ready to go as soon as the facility/power is figured out and another 25 coming/ordered, so 50 total. But the plan is to scale to 150 or more with my brother if the smaller investment pays off in 1+ years, which remains to be seen. That 150 figure is where I calculated everything at; I wanted it to be scalable and the facility itself was pretty good for all the factors I had to consider, so I figured I may as well go ahead and try to see if I could just get the infrastructure in place rather than having to do it down the line.

And answers:

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Ok.

So call it 1500w per unit * 150 units = 225kW load. That's a 250kVA transformer on 480V, with a 300A service. Not super huge, but definitely a commercial-scale power requirement requiring coordination with your power company and a real electrical contractor.

Assuming this is kosher with the electric company, you're going to need a new service with meter at 480V 3-phase. Once it gets to the side of your building, you get a new main panel at 480, and then a transformer to step that down to 120/208. Since your equipment is all IT stuff that needs cleanish power and uses switchmode power supplies to make everything completely filthy, you're going to want a harmonic-mitigating transformer. Then you get your low-voltage distribution panelboard, and runs to all your outlets.

Again, this is not a job for an electrician. This is a job for an electric contractor. The input conductors from the power company are copper wires the size of your thumb. There's about as much power here as a strip mall uses. Make absolutely sure there's even the capability to get the kind of power you need to this facility. To stress and reiterate: You're using ten times the power of a modern 4000sqFt McMansion.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What the hell kind of measurement is a kilowatt per day?

Does he mean kilowatt-hours per day?

But then there's still something wrong with his decimal points...

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Maaaaaybe you shouldn't deal with this electricity thing if you can't even get basic dimensional analysis right.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

VitalSigns posted:

Guess he just doesn't know watt he's talking about

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

metallicaeg posted:

Guess he just doesn't know watt he's talking about

Mods?

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Do you have resistance to such puns?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It was so bad that it hertz.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nothing to get all amped up over imho, it wasn’t that revolting.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Anyone else never really sure how to react to puns? Someone will make a pun and get that big smile while they wait for applause, and I just kinda do this

"Huuuuuuh!" sound to acknowledge that what they have said is Special Words not normal talk

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ohmmygod shut up.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah I am also not a fan of the current topic

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

VitalSigns posted:

No idea but by my calcs a single one of those bad boys will use 33kWh per day which is a bit over what a typical household uses for everything per day. He wants to scale it up by 150 devices so at that point he will be using 4.95 MWh.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah I am also not a fan of the current topic

Huh!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The real issue with all of this, coming from someone who does this kind of thing for a living, is the question of basically "how do I build a data center?"

Yes. SA will give you all the information you need. No big deal.

This person doesn't even know what they don't know about this, and it's not a thing you need to reinvent the wheel over. But it is a specific knowledge and skill set. People who know how to do these things and what actually needs doing are gainfully employed and often available for hire.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Installing a transformer of that size would cost a lot and the deal with the power company would be something else. This is the sort of thing that the electrical engineers in my office would design. Although where we do most of our work the lines company often doesn't have enough power in the street to upgrade transformers (makes for a fun $1-$2m power upgrade in the street prior to installing the transformer).

Motronic posted:

The real issue with all of this, coming from someone who does this kind of thing for a living, is the question of basically "how do I build a data center?"

Yes. SA will give you all the information you need. No big deal.

This person doesn't even know what they don't know about this, and it's not a thing you need to reinvent the wheel over. But it is a specific knowledge and skill set. People who know how to do these things and what actually needs doing are gainfully employed and often available for hire.

Building a datacentre is a hobby project. I'm sure he will get all the electrical engineering designs, HVAC design for the process coolers and ultimately the fire protection design all from a few posts.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Bitcoin-chicken-coop-fire.png