Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Those are fancy, refined crystals! Do not sully their seasoning perfection by classifying them so pedestrianly

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:cripes:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
It won't. But the gamergaters will sure as gently caress claim it is.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

dogs spend a lot more time focusing on licking the genitals than the butthole.
To be fair, if us humans could easily lick our own genitals, we would.

You
Oct 6, 2009

I guess it is time to handle the real issues instead of pandering to minorities. Ready player one will ripple through society for lifetimes to come.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

well, konnichiwa,

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sandoz posted:

well, konnichiwa,

:drat:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Man, I've tried to read this book just to experience for myself all of its awfulness.

But it's just so loving bad I can't even get more than a couple pages in without being repulsed.

Every excerpt I've seen from further in confirms it only gets worse. How did anyone ever finish reading this poo poo?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

How did anyone ever finish reading this poo poo?

I loving hate myself

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Man, I've tried to read this book just to experience for myself all of its awfulness.

But it's just so loving bad I can't even get more than a couple pages in without being repulsed.

Every excerpt I've seen from further in confirms it only gets worse. How did anyone ever finish reading this poo poo?

Get the audiobook and have Whil Wheaton read it out loud for you.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You know it's 80's pop culture and not today's because that +5 Vorpal Blade Masamune doesn't turn into a hot babe (or does it?)

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

TotalLossBrain posted:

Get the audiobook and have Whil Wheaton read it out loud for you.

I did this. I regret my choices.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BigglesSWE posted:

It won't. But the gamergaters will sure as gently caress claim it is.

Nah, they will say it's like nerdface minstrel show.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

So Ready Player One is basically the Big Bang Theory for gamers?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I did this. I regret my choices.

I did it twice. :suicide:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

One of my best friends read the book before it became a CULT HIT GAMER PHENOMENON and thought it was mildly entertaining to the point where he listened to the audio book as read by Wesley Crusher. He liked it enough to suggest to me, but by the time I even considered it the Ready Player One hype train was in full effect and I'm not sure if I want to get on board now or really like, ever.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

We have such sights to show you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xenoborg posted:

So Ready Player One is basically the Big Bang Theory for gamers?

Big Bang Theory, as terrible as it is, will let a pop culture reference stand on its own merit rather than sideline the plot for entire pages at a time to spew a diatribe explaining what that brief quote is from, the scene it's used in in graphic detail, what the protagonist thinks of it, what the protagonist thinks the Wily Wonka knockoff might've liked about it, and maybe, if you're unlucky, hear about their sexual attraction to a character from the thing being referenced.

For every. Single. Reference. Made.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

AndyElusive posted:

One of my best friends read the book before it became a CULT HIT GAMER PHENOMENON and thought it was mildly entertaining to the point where he listened to the audio book as read by Wesley Crusher. He liked it enough to suggest to me, but by the time I even considered it the Ready Player One hype train was in full effect and I'm not sure if I want to get on board now or really like, ever.

That's what happened with me. It showed up on my Audible recommends for some reason so I listened to it. A few years later it got blown up because OMG MOVIE!
At that point I decided to re-listen because I didn't remember it being really suitable for a movie or any other form of entertainment, really.

Chaser: I also listened to his Cline's second book, also read by Wheaton. It's worse.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I cant get past more than 10 minutes into anything wil wheaton because my brain just becomes a cacophony of various voices yelling "SHUT UP WESLEY"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Chaser: I also listened to his Cline's second book, also read by Wheaton. It's worse.

That reminds me, that the same friend who initially read RP1 pre-hype also mentioned that he listened to the audio for Armada and that he thought it was not only goddamn terrible, but basically comes across like a poor Chinese knock off of and is completely derivative of the poo poo that he wrote in RP1.

That basically killed any interest I had.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Lacroix is like drinking water and someone in a room in the back of the house screams "ORANGE"

Im stealing this

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TotalLossBrain posted:

That's what happened with me. It showed up on my Audible recommends for some reason so I listened to it. A few years later it got blown up because OMG MOVIE!
At that point I decided to re-listen because I didn't remember it being really suitable for a movie or any other form of entertainment, really.

In the Ready Player One universe, Wil Wheaton is repeatedly re-elected as Vice President of OASIS.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I haven't read Ready Player One and don't have much desire to change that after reading about it here. But it really just strikes me as cynical, like the literary equivalent of one of those "Only '80s Kids Will Remember This!" things you often see on social media. I don't get the point of it other than the author patting himself on the back for all the (well-known) nerdy pop culture things he knows.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sneakyfrog posted:

I cant get past more than 10 minutes into anything wil wheaton because my brain just becomes a cacophony of various voices yelling "SHUT UP WESLEY"

Stand By Me owns, friendo

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Ahhh Okay, so thats what those bits in the meme videoes come from with the googgles and OASIS,. And then it switches to that Scond Life type VR game and Uganada knuckles is there in a tank

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Randaconda posted:

Stand By Me owns, friendo

SHUT UP WESLEY

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

literally every excerpt i've ever seen reads exactly as if someone who hated the book wrote a parody of it. it mangles my mind that something so poorly written has any hype at all. it somehow makes me miss when twilight was huge, and that makes me quietly contemplate what the sweet release of death will finally feel like

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

RFC2324 posted:

SHUT UP WESLEY

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't get the point of it other than the author patting himself on the back for all the (well-known) nerdy pop culture things he knows.

So you do get the point of it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

AndyElusive posted:

That reminds me, that the same friend who initially read RP1 pre-hype also mentioned that he listened to the audio for Armada and that he thought it was not only goddamn terrible, but basically comes across like a poor Chinese knock off of and is completely derivative of the poo poo that he wrote in RP1.

That basically killed any interest I had.

Yes, it's RP1 rehashed with even more gamer poo poo.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've defended RP1 in these here forums before. It's a kid's book after all.

But knocking a few protons off a Hydrogen atom? :eng99:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

BrianBoitano posted:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BrianBoitano posted:

i really hope it's not actually a kids book, talking about slapping the salami like that

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I think they meant adult children

As in, gamers

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BrianBoitano posted:

...kid's book?
There is a lot of gross sexual content plus him stalking the girl and breaking her into submission so she will "love" him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Does crack make you look like that? I was going to say meth, but given his 80s fixation, crack seems more likely.