Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

relics are easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What's the fastest way to level in Eureka anyway? Just NM trains?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It's probably XP chain parties that hang out near the NM train. Your (full) party kills monsters far enough away that nobody in the mass of bodies will care to help, and then when the NM pops you saunter on over and smack it a few times to get free XP on top of the chain bonuses.

Alternatively just put on a show on netflix and follow the train. It's a lot slower but it does work if you don't mind getting a large chunk XP every 20 minutes instead of in a tiny dripfeed constantly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I want PvP mounts, but I don't want to deal with PvP elitists.

So I guess I'll choose the latter over the former.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

EDIT: Whoops beaten to the punch on the Feast cyber bullying tragedy. Except uh, there is a slight chance some bamboozling has happened.

Martman fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 19, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Apparently, upon reading the comments, there wasn't harassment at all?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Sorry you had such a lovely experience.

I suck at Feast, but I've never been that unlucky with it. All the matches I can remember were mostly just uncoordinated flailing around.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
There is no such thing as a bad DRK quests, but if I would have to rank my favorites, they stack up like this (starting with most favorite): 60-70 > 50-60 > 30-50

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Bolow posted:

Yeah except this isn't true at all. The highest rewarding wraith farm I've done was with 2 8 man groups focusing down wraiths together and not splitting them. That's when I got the 12-16 crystals a kill. Being the only group doesn't guarantee poo poo. Like my gut tells me that the rewards are scaling off the amount of players in the instance, just like the NM boss HP. Because that 2 man group was in a 30 man fresh instance

You're getting 10-16 crystals per wraith kill because your chain was 20 or over, you dingus.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Okay. I'm ready to Eureka. Except - I'm level 1. How do I get into it since I missed the initial rush?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Okay. I'm ready to Eureka. Except - I'm level 1. How do I get into it since I missed the initial rush?

Join an NM train and experience the joys of being dead all of the time. There is no good Eureka leveling advice.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mordiceius posted:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Mordiceius posted:

Finding other folks to grind with is pretty imperative, whether you're doing xp chains or doing the fates.

I'm sure most goons into it are already above 7, and it may feel insurmountable to catch up, but maybe there's a discord that helps. Also, people get into Eureka from different servers- if there was a controlled way to reliably join friends from other servers that would be neat too.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm still unclear on why spend so much time and money on Eureka when it's going to be dead as fuuuck when the zergs are done. Players who aren't on the cusp will have no reason to ever run it.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm still unclear on why spend so much time and money on Eureka when it's going to be dead as fuuuck when the zergs are done. Players who aren't on the cusp will have no reason to ever run it.

It looks like there's going to be multiple islands to go to and it's going to be the primary way players get their grindy weapon.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

One potential problem with getting into Eureka now is how to get your first protean crystal when you are the only level 1 in the zone. You need one to advance the quest far enough to talk to Gerolt (otherwise you can't convert anemos crystals from NMs) but you will never get any protean if people in your party are much higher level. Soloing on the beach is the single saddest thing you can do in FFXIV and may not even be viable if you kill things too slowly to chain them.

What I'm saying is that they didn't put a lot of thought into how this would work past the first few days.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Mordiceius posted:

Create a PF and try to find other level 1 people, then grind level 4-5 mobs until your fingers bleed, with your party joining the fate train as it runs past. That's how I managed to get to level 5 last night.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Thundarr posted:

One potential problem with getting into Eureka now is how to get your first protean crystal when you are the only level 1 in the zone. You need one to advance the quest far enough to talk to Gerolt (otherwise you can't convert anemos crystals from NMs) but you will never get any protean if people in your party are much higher level. Soloing on the beach is the single saddest thing you can do in FFXIV and may not even be viable if you kill things too slowly to chain them.

What I'm saying is that they didn't put a lot of thought into how this would work past the first few days.

I think this game strikes a good balance when it comes to content that the dedicated can zerg rush, but more casual players can still experience. The only place this fails is with open-world content. Once the first past the post kill the 30-minute notorious monster FATEs and get the special reward, they have no reason to do it anymore and people who come up behind can never mass up in large enough numbers to finish the FATE. I felt this way about Diadem as well. I did it with goons once and then a week later literally no one was doing it.

I'm worried that'll be what happens with Eureka. I tried it for the first time on the weekend, and got almost to level 3, but it feels like something that you have to set aside everything else for to get done right away. I'm not sure what they'll do if the place dries up to a point where players can't beat the NMs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thundarr posted:

There’s a guide on reddit, because of course there is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RlJEf7Q-HOWwJ3C9u-4d3Eyq0kB6DjEx06vrs9qNxrc/mobilebasic

Supposedly the key is to never engage mobs more than 5 levels above the lowest level person in your party. Same rule for level gaps supposedly so a level 6 can power level a level 1 by killing a lot of level 6 mobs but if there is a level 7 person in the group everybody gets 0 xp.

Max xp is to throw up a party finder for people at your exact level and grind mobs 5 levels over that as a full party.

I haven’t tried any of this, I rode the gate train from the station on patch day...

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Apparently, upon reading the comments, there wasn't harassment at all?
One person definitely harassed via the ignore mark. Everyone else basically had different intentions. I feel for the opposing team cause they were basically all very experienced vets who followed etiquette in this case. I don't think they had any idea what was going on.

Can't change that someone did get some lovely treatment and healers definitely get the worst of it. When I learned to heal in the feast mode I knew about five people on Primal who were Nice Job spammers and would frequently mark people to ignore (one of them was in this game in question). Thankfully only two of them got to the diamond tier so I rarely had to deal with them after a bit of time and one of those got shouted down by so many other people in discords for his harassment since it was a massive distraction.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Nobody deserves to be treated this way. I can't bring myself to even attempt The Feast anymore in fear of getting these people again and just having this all repeat once more.
I've read your Reddit thread this morning and I think the treatment you are getting there is possibly worse than in the game. I'm sorry people are so lovely or unsympathetic in general in gaming.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I'm really shocked to see something like that in FFXIV. I know MMOs and pvp have very toxic playerbases, but I have been surprised how friendly and patient this playerbase is, for the most part. Sad to see the scum always find a way in.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I can tell you that's not true, because what they really all spam to be toxic is HELLO!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Saint Freak posted:

I can tell you that's not true, because what they really all spam to be toxic is HELLO!
I know this was a jest! But Hello is actually the "I am Ready to Burst" signal ATM, stolen straight from JP data centers. Yeah it sounds as stupid as it sounds but those are the tools we are given by Square zzz

Ort posted:

I'm really shocked to see something like that in FFXIV. I know MMOs and pvp have very toxic playerbases, but I have been surprised how friendly and patient this playerbase is, for the most part. Sad to see the scum always find a way in.
If you ever want to have a good time go to a hunt and early pull

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I never jest.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

There’s a guide on reddit, because of course there is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RlJEf7Q-HOWwJ3C9u-4d3Eyq0kB6DjEx06vrs9qNxrc/mobilebasic

Supposedly the key is to never engage mobs more than 5 levels above the lowest level person in your party. Same rule for level gaps supposedly so a level 6 can power level a level 1 by killing a lot of level 6 mobs but if there is a level 7 person in the group everybody gets 0 xp.

Max xp is to throw up a party finder for people at your exact level and grind mobs 5 levels over that as a full party.

I haven’t tried any of this, I rode the gate train from the station on patch day...

I'm a bit behind the curve and am now level 10 in Eureka. I can say that I have not received a direct protean drop in several days, even when I am building chain and getting XP, while they say they are getting protean drops. Generally there's at least one person in the party 5 or more levels higher than I am, so that's the reason there. For the record right now I have like 18 protean crystals and ~275 anemos. I haven't spent anything yet.

The big problem is finding a large enough party of low level people to group together so they can get their foot in the door, and that's already becoming hard. In most content in this game you can at least level sync down to help your friends, but if most of your FC is elemental level 6+ then any new members who are coming fresh into Eureka are SOL and there's very little you can do to assist them.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Thundarr posted:

In most content in this game you can at least level sync down to help your friends, but if most of your FC is elemental level 6+ then any new members who are coming fresh into Eureka are SOL and there's very little you can do to assist them.

Yeah, I'm honestly baffled that there's no way to temporarily reduce your elemental level or something. I've got a couple friends that haven't had the time to start it yet while I'm level 8, and it's disheartening knowing that the only thing I can do to help them at this point is heal them when they get hurt and revive them when they die. And help them get credit on NMs, but...

If the magicite system worked a bit differently, it could easily fix this. Why not get one magicite per level, and your elemental level is the sum of all the magicite you have applied at a given point? That way you could just purposely not equip everything you've got in order to nerf yourself and help out lowbies. I guess we'd lose out on the incredible quests where you find a rock in a burnt-out shack, but that's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I did Eureka for, like, four or five days in a row without touching basically any other content in the game. It's a really long grind and if you aren't Level 20 by now, it's hell to catch up.

That said, Protean Crystals aren't terrible to get for newbies, honestly. You just need to beat one of the lower leveled FATEs to get an Anemos Crystal, then break that down into Protean Crystals.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I'm a bit behind the curve and am now level 10 in Eureka. I can say that I have not received a direct protean drop in several days, even when I am building chain and getting XP, while they say they are getting protean drops. Generally there's at least one person in the party 5 or more levels higher than I am, so that's the reason there. For the record right now I have like 18 protean crystals and ~275 anemos. I haven't spent anything yet.

The big problem is finding a large enough party of low level people to group together so they can get their foot in the door, and that's already becoming hard. In most content in this game you can at least level sync down to help your friends, but if most of your FC is elemental level 6+ then any new members who are coming fresh into Eureka are SOL and there's very little you can do to assist them.

If you have an out of group PLD you can have the low level person pull +5 level mobs then the PLD takes aggro with flash being careful NOT to autoattack or deal any damage.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've barely been able to sit down and play, and I only dinged into 7 this morning. Not looking forward to having to play catch-up.

That Google doc that was linked a few posts up is pretty on-the-nose about EXP gains: the higher FATEs are generally not worth the trouble if you're not getting the full reward for them and you can't get to them fast enough. You're better off solo-chaining things at your level while chugging Eureka potions, or partying with other lowbies at or near your level to kill stuff a few levels higher.

It's not a bad idea at all to hang out near the FATE Train while killing other things for EXP, and then join a group when the FATE pops for the easy reward.

Also, keep an eye out for the Elementals, because those buffs help a lot.

hobbesmaster posted:

If you have an out of group PLD you can have the low level person pull +5 level mobs then the PLD takes aggro with flash being careful NOT to autoattack or deal any damage.

Also this. Very handy.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I did Eureka for, like, four or five days in a row without touching basically any other content in the game. It's a really long grind and if you aren't Level 20 by now, it's hell to catch up.

That said, Protean Crystals aren't terrible to get for newbies, honestly. You just need to beat one of the lower leveled FATEs to get an Anemos Crystal, then break that down into Protean Crystals.

You can't do that until you get your first protean crystals, and if you just started you can't get protean crystals in most groups because everyone else massively out levels you. Because eureka is designed to actively punish low level players from grouping with higher leveled players, they have divided the player base so much that it is much harder for a new player to start now than it was when eureka first launched. And unless SE makes some massive changes, it's only going to get worse for elemental level 1 players to catch up to the wave of poop sockers.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I did the introductory quests for Eureka and, by the sounds of things, that's probably all I'm going to do. I'm not interested in the race and really not interested waiting around for a level 1 group. Congrats Square, you made a FFXI homage in all the wrong ways.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tenik posted:

You can't do that until you get your first protean crystals, and if you just started you can't get protean crystals in most groups because everyone else massively out levels you. Because eureka is designed to actively punish low level players from grouping with higher leveled players, they have divided the player base so much that it is much harder for a new player to start now than it was when eureka first launched. And unless SE makes some massive changes, it's only going to get worse for elemental level 1 players to catch up to the wave of poop sockers.

Just kill 30 level 1 mobs? Thats how I got my first one and it did not take long at all. I guess you might need a DPS class at 70 to do it?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Ooh, that's awesome. Thanks for the tip, this will really help me help people!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Tenik posted:

Based on a video I found from 2.0, it looks like a normal single player duty with nothing special. Is she attacking the mob some herself, or is she just healing NPCs?

Belatedly, her cures are apparently having no effect on the NPCs.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

I've barely been able to sit down and play, and I only dinged into 7 this morning. Not looking forward to having to play catch-up.
Yeah, I haven't been able to play too much this week and I only reached level 9 last night, and it's frustrating because it was immediately obvious that if I missed the initial rush then I'd never be able to get anything done. As it is I'm only just now really starting to get rewards again, especially since (at least in all the instances I've seen) there's a double problem where nobody's really bothering with spawning the lowest level fates anymore so you basically have to spend hours getting literally nothing but the fate completion XP (and reduced at that, since you're underleveled for it), especially since the mobs it takes to spawn an NM are usually a few levels above its own level.

It's kind of annoying since Eureka is almost fun, and I really see what they were trying to go for... but it's all hosed to hell due to the harsh level scaling. It's so intensely hostile to starting players and any guild or group with a wide level spread.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Tell her every story instance is basically designed around being a DPS, play them like your a DPS. Only the healer/tank class quests attempt to throw in healing/tanking responsibilities.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is it the one that takes place over near Snowcloak? I failed that a few times while leveling up a WHM on another server, it's pretty brutal. Only thing I can really suggest is to stand far from the NPCs and try to kill everything as fast as possible. They have an enormous amount of HP (which is probably why the heals aren't showing much effect) but they'll get worn down pretty quick by the boss. I had to try and tank everything I could personally while being far from the NPCs so they didn't get popped by area attacks.

Benediction should still full heal one of them if things get dicey. If that's not working, I've got nothing. :shrug:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Just kill 30 of these level one mobs and then spend untold hours in a frustratingly obtuse hellscape that was absolutely designed in an intentionally maddening way to punish the player for participating in it.

"It's not that bad" is like the most disappointing argument because it makes me want to tell people that their time is more valuable than Eureka or it's designers seems to think. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Lizard Wizard posted:

They are, their health pools are just so ginormous it looks like they do nothing. The mindset with healer jobs (in general, not just in solo duties) is "dps until something needs heals." The general expectation in solo duties in particular is that the player do the lion's share of the damage necessary to kill the mobs unless you get a dialog cue specifically to the contrary.