Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Fair enough. I knew that UVA's style was polarizing among basketball fans. You either like it or you don't, and there doesn't seem to be much crossover.

Jokes at Virginia's expense are fair, but not the Unite The Right rally. I hadn't heard that assholes were doing that, but Aug. 12th is still a pretty sensitive issue around here. Sad to hear that two of the first things people think about when they think of Charlottesville is Jason loving Kessler and UVA men's basketball fuckups.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Mar 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What is UVA's style? Someone mentioned only about 60 points a game, so I'm guessing they play very defensively and aren't aggressive toward scoring points.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I'm starting to think that hating on white people actually is becoming the cool thing to do and it makes me sad :(

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Leavemywife posted:

What is UVA's style? Someone mentioned only about 60 points a game, so I'm guessing they play very defensively and aren't aggressive toward scoring points.

I'm no basketball expert but that's basically it I think. It's kind of like the trap defense in hockey - extremely boring to watch but it works...unless a team gets hot, which happens all the time in the tournament.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

They completely suffocate you on defense and drain the shot clock on offense. It's Wisconsin taken to the extreme and with more talent. They gave up 53 points per game and UMBC put that on them in the second half.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Harry Potter books aren't very good, and that's mainly because the characters are very poorly written.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Harry Potter books aren't very good, and that's mainly because the characters are very poorly written.

Agreed.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

They aren't very good from an academic viewpoint, but they are fun to read. My unpopular opinion is that it's ok to read not great but entertaining books and nobody should be ashamed of it. When I tell people I have read the harry potter series almost 20 times over it always gets weird looks etc, but who cares? Read what you want.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rainbow Knight posted:

I'm starting to think that hating on white people actually is becoming the cool thing to do and it makes me sad :(

I mean, we make it pretty easy.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If I were on a sinking ship with Etta James and Billie Holliday, and the lifeboat fit three people, I would push Billie Holliday into the sea so that Etta James can have more leg room.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rainbow Knight posted:

I took a bunch of ethnic studies and asian american studies classes in college. Hating on the white man is the first step is toppling the patriarchy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rainbow Knight posted:

Way too many white Americans are thin-skinned, willfully dumb, and sociopathic as poo poo, and I say this as a white American dude, it makes me angry. making GBS threads on us is well deserved.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Mar 19, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I just saw Heat for the first time and I don't really get the love for it. It's way too long and the parts between the action are pretty boring and unmemorable. It has so many good actors but you hardly get to see them act most of the time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I just saw Heat for the first time and I don't really get the love for it. It's way too long and the parts between the action are pretty boring and unmemorable. It has so many good actors but you hardly get to see them act most of the time.
And you call yourself an rear end lover.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

yeah I eat rear end posted:

They aren't very good from an academic viewpoint, but they are fun to read. My unpopular opinion is that it's ok to read not great but entertaining books and nobody should be ashamed of it. When I tell people I have read the harry potter series almost 20 times over it always gets weird looks etc, but who cares? Read what you want.

The problem is that as the series goes on they get really bogged down and stop even being fun to read. There are about 3 fun books and the rest are boring.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Rainbow Knight posted:

As a fellow white person, you are an embarrassment to our race.

Edit: The concept of "white privilege" does more harm to racial justice than good. While it's true that white people are generally in a better position than non-white people, the idea of white privilege, at least as the average person understands it, seems like it was designed to be refuted.

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Mar 19, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Harry Potter series is a bunch of great kids' books followed up by a bunch of awful angsty teen dramas.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

steinrokkan posted:

The Harry Potter series is a bunch of great kids' books followed up by a bunch of awful angsty teen dramas.

The teen stuff is the worst part. Half of Deathly Hallows was the trio stuck in the woods mad at each other.

I know that in real life teens get angsty or whatever, but none of that's actually interesting to read. It's frustrating.

Semi-related opinion that may or may not be PHUO:

I don't give a poo poo if a movie/TV show/video game is "realistic" if it makes it boring or not fascinating. I remember years ago sitting with my cousin while he gushed over how "realistic" some Call of Duty game was "realistic" but I found it slow and not fun. There's a difference between realism and verisimilitude, and it's the latter that makes you enjoy something more.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

MizPiz posted:

Edit: The concept of "white privilege" does more harm to racial justice than good. While it's true that white people are generally in a better position than non-white people, the idea of white privilege, at least as the average person understands it, seems like it was designed to be refuted.
Nah its fine and its a useful concept to understand systemic racism, snowflake white people will just get bent out of shape no matter what term to describe it you use and make more strawmans than a scarecrow convention out of it.

That kind of reminds me, anybody who seriously claims "No war but class war" is probably white as hell, is most likely not as leftist as they'd like to think, and definitely have a very poor grasp of history.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Mar 19, 2018

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MizPiz posted:

I think the operative phrase here is "as the average person understands it." I agree that the well has been pretty thoroughly poisoned and it's become a PR quagmire for social justice activists but the core concept is solid. Finding a better way to broach the topic (which may or may not including ditching the term and finding a better one) could potentially do a lot of good.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Straight White Shark posted:

I think the operative phrase here is "as the average person understands it." I agree that the well has been pretty thoroughly poisoned and it's become a PR quagmire for social justice activists but the core concept is solid. Finding a better way to broach the topic (which may or may not including ditching the term and finding a better one) could potentially do a lot of good.

Although I pretty much agree with you, I honestly do not think there’s any possible terminology that would make the concept palatable to the hordes of people who angrily splutter ‘but nobody gave me anything, I worked hard for what I have, if THOSE people worked hard, they’d not be poor’ every time the concept is raised.

I mean, poo poo, if the daily/weekly ‘black person shot to death over nothing at all on my TV’ didn’t hammer home the point, nothing will.

JnnyThndrs has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Mar 20, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only problem with the American process of making GBS threads on whites is when they export their cultural norms, as they are used to, and impose American standards on foreign peoples. Ukrainians? You are white, so clearly you should be paying your due.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Society would see nothing but improvement if every white person was to die tonight, including the “good” ones.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
White people are basically just WASPs. English-descended Protestants, descended from the original colonists of America. If at least one of your parents aint one of these, you aint white. Me, I have Portuguese and Spanish ancestry on my Pap Pap's side. I aint white. We are a fierce, proud people. Basques and Celtiberians. Warriors. I'm olive-skinned, too. Anyway, white privilege is real, y'all. These WASPs have been enjoying a free ride for far too long.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Society would see nothing but improvement if every white person was to die tonight, including the “good” ones.

Maybe eventually, but in the short term the death of over a billion (depending on how you define white) people, many of them among the richest/most powerful people, would plunge the world into chaos as everyone scrambles to fill in the vacuum it would create.

also I don't support the idea because I'm pretty sure you can't shitpost in hell and that would be pretty lame.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"White privilege" has become a get out of jail free card. We can't do better. We're incapable of understanding. We're just White, and everything we touch is poison. So we shouldn't even try to think about racism as a major social issue. Don't show support. Don't get involved.

The privilege is with you no matter what so just keep on doing the same white people things we always have. It's a comforting worldview for the modern woke slactivist.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
bigotry is a cancerous mental short cut regardless of skin color.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
I dislike the term 'white privilege' because it seems to imply that the way white people are treated by society and each other is wrong; that they deserve to be treated the way that minorities are treated.

This seems rear end-backwards to me, we should be treating minorities the way we treat white people, not the other way round. 'White privilege' seems to frame the issue as 'how come whitey got it so good' (which is easily refuted by anecdote), and not 'why do minorities have it so bad'.

It's not an advantage to not face discrimination by the police because you're white, that should be the default; it's a disadvantage to be stopped for being a minority.

Maybe I'm just being a pedant, and my being more annoyed with semantics than oppression is part of the problem

Maybe it's logically equivalent to say that [white advantage] == [non-white disadvantage], but I still feel the way we frame the issue taints our perspective

TheMaskedUgly has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Mar 20, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Racial profiling isn't that bad

It is bad though.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

PHUO: It is unhelpful that internet discussion of race relations is so US-focused (most notably in how it is always framed as 'white' vs 'non-white').
Us woke Europeans are totally fine with being racist to other white people

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
My fave parts of old Top Gear was them making fun of other Europeans.

"Oh I know how they'll meet emission standards. They're Italian! So they'll just...lie!"

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

TheMaskedUgly posted:

PHUO: It is unhelpful that internet discussion of race relations is so US-focused (most notably in how it is always framed as 'white' vs 'non-white').
Us woke Europeans are totally fine with being racist to other white people

Americans live in their own little bubble, it's best they stay in it because it's annoying to have them pop out of it and start spewing stupid on an already stupid planet.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

That's a nice idea in principal, but the entire western web eco-system is fundamentally american. We 'choose' to inhabit their bubble.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Blue Star posted:

White people are basically just WASPs. English-descended Protestants, descended from the original colonists of America. If at least one of your parents aint one of these, you aint white. Me, I have Portuguese and Spanish ancestry on my Pap Pap's side. I aint white. We are a fierce, proud people. Basques and Celtiberians. Warriors. I'm olive-skinned, too. Anyway, white privilege is real, y'all. These WASPs have been enjoying a free ride for far too long.

:roflolmao:

Blue Star is the best Blue Star parody

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We're not the ones overreacting to little muslim girls wearing a veil in public.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also it's an American website. They should make you foreign guys wear an identifying badge or something.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

We're not the ones overreacting to little muslim girls wearing a veil in public.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the concept of White Privilege is bad for a bunch of reasons. Everything that comes with white privilege is stuff that everyone should have. Being less likely to be shot by cops is good, everyone should have that. But because white privilege focuses on white people, it doesn't lead towards any corrective solutions. So basically all you get at the end is performative guilt. "Here are all the ways you benefit from racism" OK, but those are good things, I don't want to give them up. Does that mean I should be racist? "No, just be aware of your privilege" huh? "you know, just kinda... be aware of it" OK. drat this small business loan, surely it could be going towards a more deserving PoC! I am so aware of all the benefits I have gained from racism right now!

This is, IMO, a big reason why "kill all white people" is something that's said a lot more nowadays, even though white supremacy has existed for centuries. When the introductory concept to anti-racism is white privilege instead of restorative justice or equality or whatever, of course that's what you're gonna get.

And most importantly, it's not actually true. The concept of white privilege says that white people will lose something if society becomes less racist. And that's bullshit. I'm white, and I will not lose if fewer black people are shot by cops. My life will not be made materially worse by fewer black people being incarcerated. In fact, I'm pretty fuckin' sure my life would be better if society was less racist.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It’s good to be aware of your station in life and how it affects your thought process when talking about things like structural racism, mass incarceration, police reform, gun violence, etc. That’s the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s good to be aware of your station in life and how it affects your thought process when talking about things like structural racism, mass incarceration, police reform, gun violence, etc. That’s the point.

I don't think it's good, in and of itself, to be 'aware' of discrimination/privilege. The KKK wizard who is aware that black people are systematically discriminated against, and who is aware that he does not face those same discriminations isn't an improvement over the ignorant KKK wizard. Hell, the woke klansmen would probably feel that it makes him less of a racist and more comfortable in his views, he'd feel less biased.

Knowledge is useless except in it's application.