Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

A sloop doesn't stand a chance against a good galleon crew. The best you can hope for is to use your maneuverability to weave around rocks and hope they lose interest but you can't outrun them and if determined they will catch you.

I mean I understand it's not fair and can feel frustrating but it's expressly a PVP game, you just can't expect to win 1v4.

That’s the thing, though - Microsoft is marketing this like its their big new IP and not a niche PVP game, and everything I’ve seen makes it look like the latter.

I’m not saying it’s bad to have the game be this. But I also think MS and Rare have done everything they can to run away from what they actually made. Reading interviews and AMAs with the Rare team is like taking a loving journey back to the heyday of LionHead, where they lay out this grand vision that is like 25% implemented in their game.

And reviewers start playing at launch, so they’ll be on the same servers as everyone else. They are probably more likely to have a crew to play with, though.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kitchner posted:

No, I told you to gently caress off because you're being an rear end and still are. Just drop it dude, no one gives a poo poo about your opinion of me.

They come here to discuss a pirate game, not listen to you wax lyrical about how you hae a superior understanding of video game design and anyone with a different opinion is a stupid fanboy

Yikes, fans like these are usually a bad sign for a game.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I've been ignoring it mostly.

Also the 1 v 4 thing strikes me as fine. Not sure what someone would expect in that situation.Your end options are the same as you'd expect in reality. Evade or die fighting. I'm impressed you killed 2 and got some chests in.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i play cartoonish pirate games solely for their accurate representations of realistic combat odds

that's why your character routinely dies of scurvy, because realism

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Any idea if they will add matchmaking/group finder to this?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Also it's weird because the game claims sloops are more maneuverable than galleons, which suggests that you should be able to outrun a galleon in your sloop, so you can escape from the more powerful force, but apparently this is not true.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Glagha posted:

Also it's weird because the game claims sloops are more maneuverable than galleons, which suggests that you should be able to outrun a galleon in your sloop, so you can escape from the more powerful force, but apparently this is not true.

Maybe these sloop captains arnt very good at sailing botes

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Even without the manpower advantage it seems like a problem that a crew could wait at a port and ambush players trying to turn in quests. Or maybe that's a feature and not a bug but it seem difficult to defend

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Every other game has solved this problem already. "Guards" in areas where players have to congregate and have no choice.

I was really stoked about this game, but the execution is absolutely terrible and I have 0 interest in it now.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

VanillaGorilla posted:

That’s the thing, though - Microsoft is marketing this like its their big new IP and not a niche PVP game, and everything I’ve seen makes it look like the latter.

I’m not saying it’s bad to have the game be this. But I also think MS and Rare have done everything they can to run away from what they actually made. Reading interviews and AMAs with the Rare team is like taking a loving journey back to the heyday of LionHead, where they lay out this grand vision that is like 25% implemented in their game.

And reviewers start playing at launch, so they’ll be on the same servers as everyone else. They are probably more likely to have a crew to play with, though.
Yeah, I agree there's a disconnect. The game is way more PVP-centric than advertised and it may be because they didn't have time to develop more compelling PVE stuff.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

'you can't expect to win 1v4' is a really dumb argument to make because he wasn't trying 'to win 1v4', he was trying to play the loving game and complete a quest.
If you're not planning to run as a 4 man crew you're going to be at a disadvantage. That's just the state of the game right now, I'm not making any argument in favor of it. I think they should add some options for smaller (and bigger) crews but I can't think of a good way to do it honestly.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Glagha posted:

More maneuverable yes but they aren't faster. In one session we chased a sloop for a good half hour and he was pretty deft, doubling back and making tight turns around small islands. We had to pull off several drop-anchor turns to keep up with him but we eventually cornered him on the edge of the map and he sailed headfirst into oblivion so we wouldn't get the treasure. :golfclap:

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Sail against the wind to outrun galleons.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Glagha posted:

I guess "more maneuverable" is meant in the sense of agility, not top speed. The sloop can turn more quickly, and I think it may be slightly faster when tacking close to the wind. But when just sailing in a straight line it seems like the galleon's the one that's faster, or at least it's close to even. Which I guess is realistic-ish, since historically having more sail surface tended to outweigh the greater mass, but whether it's good for game balance probably remains to be seen. That said, if sloops were able to easily run from galleons whenever, that would probably bring its own set of problems with it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Every other game has solved this problem already. "Guards" in areas where players have to congregate and have no choice.

I was really stoked about this game, but the execution is absolutely terrible and I have 0 interest in it now.

this is really the crux of the issue - even in the most adversarial open-world games, there is generally SOME consequence for killing other players in certain regions.

that was one of the most aggravating things in the beta - pulling into port to turn in some chests and a bunch of loving degenerates immediately swarming my ship with literally zero recourse.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

More maneuverable yes but they aren't faster. In one session we chased a sloop for a good half hour and he was pretty deft, doubling back and making tight turns around small islands. We had to pull off several drop-anchor turns to keep up with him but we eventually cornered him on the edge of the map and he sailed headfirst into oblivion so we wouldn't get the treasure. :golfclap:

That was my experience playing the game as a solo player. You could spend 45 minutes chasing down and sinking a sloop only to find they had no treasure or you could have spent that 45 minutes finding your own loot and cashing it in.

There isn't really a lot of motivation behind the PVP besides fighting for the sake of fighting. Which I guess is the point, but since there is no "win" state in this game it's just a perpetual deathmatch without winners/losers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LEFT and RIGHT
Grab Dat Booty
Booty on Board
Rudder I Barely Know Her
Shoot the Waterline, Idiot
xXxNOSCOPExVOMITSHOTxXx

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i play cartoonish pirate games solely for their accurate representations of realistic combat odds

that's why your character routinely dies of scurvy, because realism

I'm not even talking the cartoony nature or what not. I didn't mean the game is gritty and REALITY! I just mean 1 v 4 is long odds in almost any pvp game. So the reality outside the game I guess.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

My plan for solo-sloop is to do nothing but grief people

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Rubellavator posted:

My plan for solo-sloop is to do nothing but grief people
Load explosive chests on the tip of the bowsprit and ram people. Name your ship "Rudolph the Red Nosed Piece of poo poo"

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh man yes. Does the barrel on the front actually work? Never tried it.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

ZeusCannon posted:

Oh man yes. Does the barrel on the front actually work? Never tried it.
Not sure. If you're feeling handy you can ram and then shoot it. I know that if you drop the barrels in water they will act as mines.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I just grabbed this on a lark because of how pretty the water is. Have I made a mistake?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
No, it’ll be fine and you’ll play with goons and have fun

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone confirm if I get the Xbox Game Pass 2 week free trial on PC I'd be able to play this?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
You will be able to play it

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Oh good. That's good. I was hoping to be able to do that

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Glagha posted:

sloops are faster sailing into the wind. galleons are faster with the wind.

outrunning a galleon by going into the wind is about the easiest thing in the game. the only situation where this would be a problem for completing quests are the merchant faction ones where you need to turn stuff in to a specific outpost.

the game is exactly what i was hoping it would be, pretty happy with the release so far.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AirRaid posted:

There is at least one greymarket site, cdkeys.com, selling keys, at £5 under the UK price. Not sure how that works with the windows store, or how their prices compare to other regions.

I just checked CDKeys and Kinguin and they're both more expensive then on the MS store, what the fuuuuck?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

also if you really want to make sure you're going to chase someone who actually has something to steal, look for people parked near an island. In the beta me and some dudes would park really far away (behind some of the rocks or islands if we could) and climb into the crow's nest with the spyglass and watch people until they started to leave an island, and we'd chase them down and steal their poo poo

if you do this with the Sloop, you might even be able to sneak up and jump onto their ship and murder them when they load up their treasure. We almost did this once but my coward teammates didn't want to hide in the bottom of the ship with me lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw another sloop when I was heading to an outpost, they had two whereas I’m alone rn. Waited for them to hand their stuff in then snuck aboard their ship, swiped at the one still there until they jumped overboard, then stole as much of their poo poo as I could carry, went back to my ship and the other member was there, so we fought and I won, then saw their ship turn tail and run.

hehehehe I love this poo poo

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
A decent sloop crew can mess up a galleon pretty good, the sloops cannons are a lot lower than the galleons so it's easier to get the galleon to start sinking.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
I haven't had that experience but I hope it's true. It might just be that I've yet to face a good sloop troop.

The most fun I had was when my 4-man group recruited a rando we found soloing a sloop. 5-man galleons are nasty because you can constantly keep a 4-man gun crew blasting full compliment while the 5th acts as helmsman/boatswain.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

when I played in the final beta, my brother and I saw another ship parked at the outpost we spawned at. Literally the first thing we did ever in the game was kill that guy, loot the treasure in his ship, raise his anchor, drop the sails, kill him again, and point his ship at some rocks. Then we jumped off, turned in our (his) treasure and sailed off in the opposite direction. Digging up treasure is kind of pointless, idiots will just bring it to you.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
These stories sound awesome but I'm guessing this game won't last long at all with such an incentive to grief.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I personally don’t plan on deliberately sinking people’s ships or anything, but I’m sure I’m in the minority there haha. Plus it’ll probably happen when I play with my housemates

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Unzip and Attack posted:

These stories sound awesome but I'm guessing this game won't last long at all with such an incentive to grief.

The same thing could have been said about EVE, sort of. I'm hoping there's a playerbase to sustain this kind of risk/reward rush for a good while.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thinking maybe they should have simulated the fact that sailors hundreds of years ago were statistically pretty bad swimmers and ending up in the water was basically a death sentence.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

The Protagonist posted:

The same thing could have been said about EVE, sort of. I'm hoping there's a playerbase to sustain this kind of risk/reward rush for a good while.

there were places in Eve where griefing would get you well and thoroughly hosed.

i don't think the game is like Eve but it would be like if the entirety of Eve was nullsec and there wasn't even a bounty system.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Unzip and Attack posted:

I don't think you can call it griefing when it what the game was designed around. Blame Microsoft for misleading marketing, but this game in its current state is mainly ship deathmatch.

Which is a shame, really. The visuals and engine would make for a great chill exploration game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
You folks are talking about the release version?