Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Facebook quietly announced (through one of its least-followed CTOs) on the 16th that it was suspending its relationship with Cambridge Analytica, and SCL, now that the money's made and the damage is done.

https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/03/suspending-cambridge-analytica/

Something something private firm harvested personal information of Facebook users something something we swear it's only 50 million of you but they had 230 million people's information.

You probably can guess what their PR Statement says before you read it:

quote:

March 16, 2018

Suspending Cambridge Analytica and SCL Group from Facebook
By Paul Grewal, VP & Deputy General Counsel

Update on March 17, 2018, 9:50 AM: The claim that this is a data breach is completely false. Aleksandr Kogan requested and gained access to information from users who chose to sign up to his app, and everyone involved gave their consent. People knowingly provided their information, no systems were infiltrated, and no passwords or sensitive pieces of information were stolen or hacked.

Originally published on March 16, 2018:

We are suspending Strategic Communication Laboratories (SCL), including their political data analytics firm, Cambridge Analytica, from Facebook. Given the public prominence of this organization, we want to take a moment to explain how we came to this decision and why.

We Maintain Strict Standards and Policies

Protecting people’s information is at the heart of everything we do, and we require the same from people who operate apps on Facebook. In 2015, we learned that a psychology professor at the University of Cambridge named Dr. Aleksandr Kogan lied to us and violated our Platform Policies by passing data from an app that was using Facebook Login to SCL/Cambridge Analytica, a firm that does political, government and military work around the globe. He also passed that data to Christopher Wylie of Eunoia Technologies, Inc.

Like all app developers, Kogan requested and gained access to information from people after they chose to download his app. His app, “thisisyourdigitallife,” offered a personality prediction, and billed itself on Facebook as “a research app used by psychologists.” Approximately 270,000 people downloaded the app. In so doing, they gave their consent for Kogan to access information such as the city they set on their profile, or content they had liked, as well as more limited information about friends who had their privacy settings set to allow it.

Although Kogan gained access to this information in a legitimate way and through the proper channels that governed all developers on Facebook at that time, he did not subsequently abide by our rules. By passing information on to a third party, including SCL/Cambridge Analytica and Christopher Wylie of Eunoia Technologies, he violated our platform policies. When we learned of this violation in 2015, we removed his app from Facebook and demanded certifications from Kogan and all parties he had given data to that the information had been destroyed. Cambridge Analytica, Kogan and Wylie all certified to us that they destroyed the data.

Breaking the Rules Leads to Suspension (lol suspension wow)

Several days ago, we received reports that, contrary to the certifications we were given, not all data was deleted. We are moving aggressively to determine the accuracy of these claims. If true, this is another unacceptable violation of trust and the commitments they made. We are suspending SCL/Cambridge Analytica, Wylie and Kogan from Facebook, pending further information.

We are committed to vigorously enforcing our policies to protect people’s information. We will take whatever steps are required to see that this happens. We will take legal action if necessary to hold them responsible and accountable for any unlawful behavior.

How Things Have Changed

We are constantly working to improve the safety and experience of everyone on Facebook. In the past five years, we have made significant improvements in our ability to detect and prevent violations by app developers. Now all apps requesting detailed user information go through our App Review process, which requires developers to justify the data they’re looking to collect and how they’re going to use it – before they’re allowed to even ask people for it. In 2014, after hearing feedback from the Facebook community, we made an update to ensure that each person decides what information they want to share about themselves, including their friend list. This is just one of the many ways we give people the tools to control their experience. Before you decide to use an app, you can review the permissions the developer is requesting and choose which information to share. You can manage or revoke those permissions at any time. On an ongoing basis, we also do a variety of manual and automated checks to ensure compliance with our policies and a positive experience for users. These include steps such as random audits of existing apps along with the regular and proactive monitoring of the fastest growing apps.

We enforce our policies in a variety of ways — from working with developers to fix the problem, to suspending developers from our platform, to pursuing litigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

friendbot2000 posted:

He just...skeeted it out.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Thanks for the thoughtful response, extremely real person David Vee

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
After that Mueller tweet this morning someone snatched his phone out of his tiny little hands, didn't they :(

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

All stock gains in 2018 have now been erased

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

NRA being officially a Russian societal disorder/money laundering/vote purchasing mechanism gives me a little peace of mind, because it's not really people's beliefs. Problem is crazy motherfuckers buy into it whole heatedly.

Side note: went to auto parts store today and dude walking out was just open carry, pistol on hip like a goddamn cowboy, made me cringe hard.

akiyba
Jan 28, 2009
How has he managed to not spurt out a tweet about Stormy? That's impressive.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
"We intentionally created a system to harvest vast vast vast amounts of personal data on every aspect of our users' lives with the specific intent to profit from it. How could we have possibly predicted a negative outcome? Totally won't happen again guys!"

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Obama! :argh:

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
So Lacroix is that dude from that Vampire the Masquerade video game, right?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LifeSunDeath posted:

NRA being officially a Russian societal disorder/money laundering/vote purchasing mechanism gives me a little peace of mind, because it's not really people's beliefs. Problem is crazy motherfuckers buy into it whole heatedly.

Side note: went to auto parts store today and dude walking out was just open carry, pistol on hip like a goddamn cowboy, made me cringe hard.

my mechanic open carries

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

akiyba posted:

I'm gonna be so mad if someone takes his phone away and prevents him from live-tweeting next Sunday's 60 Minutes.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Before people start popping the proletariat champagne the market is still up 4,000 pts from this time last year.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

akiyba posted:

Because he's in love

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Burning_Monk posted:

Before people start popping the proletariat champagne the market is still up 4,000 pts from this time last year.

I didn't pop champagne, I just maxed out my Roth IRA hoping that this is the lowest point.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

LifeSunDeath posted:

actually like 50% of America is that crazy

the whole Russian psyop thing is just a convenient fiction to hide the reality of mass popular delusion

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

I saw that at a Utah Costco once. Mom and Dad open-carrying, with two really little kids walking around with them. What the hell.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Extra Large Marge posted:

I wish I had a pallet of LaCroix.

shallot*

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

akiyba posted:

Melania will loving kill him

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Nocheez posted:

hoping that this is the lowest point.

Ha haha hahaha Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/975803929748561920

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

I didn't pop champagne, I just maxed out my Roth IRA hoping that this is the lowest point.

i have bad news

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
He is gonna combat the opiod epidemic using "very bad commercials" lol

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

1redflag posted:

Ha haha hahaha Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

I had to do it before April 15th, seemed as good of a day as any.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

akiyba posted:

Because Stormy would rip him a new rear end in a top hat? Tromp avoids hurling abuse at people who are likely to fling it back, and when they do he quickly retreats to another goodbrain topic.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
I've always wondered what trump looks like right after he gets out of the shower. Like, what does his hair look like?

I bet it is a v sad sight.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

https://www.channel4.com/news/cambr...s-investigation

Cambridge Analytica executives admit to using whores & bribery to entrap politicians.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kumo posted:

https://www.channel4.com/news/cambr...s-investigation

Cambridge Analytica executives admit to using whores & bribery to entrap politicians.

:laffo:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/975803507415638016

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Opioids: the crisis next door

We would build a wall to keep them next door, but up to 90 pounds of drugs can easily clear a 30 foot wall if kept in a burlap sack and flung by a mexican

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
The piss tape is real and the Mercers have a copy

https://twitter.com/AndrewKirell/status/975808742854930433

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/975788017116790786

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

my body can't handle Infrastructure Week

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jaywalkers deserve death tbh.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I just had a quick sensible side-chuckle at the fact that Trump is the first president since Polk not to have any pets (though Andrew Johnson only "Fed white mice he found in his bedroom" ("name unknown", "number unknown")). His handlers probably considered getting him a dog at first but then realized that it would just end up mummified in a crawlspace somewhere after a week, somehow.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Smirr posted:

I just had a quick sensible side-chuckle at the fact that Trump is the first president since Polk not to have any pets (though Andrew Johnson only "Fed white mice he found in his bedroom" ("name unknown", "number unknown")). His handlers probably considered getting him a dog at first but then realized that it would just end up mummified in a crawlspace somewhere after a week, somehow.

What about Jared?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Smirr posted:

Having an animal in the house is a liability with a Huckabee on staff.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/onlxn/status/975813462700957697

:crossarms:

These guys don't seem very smart, jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Smirr posted:

Future spergs are going to add whatever insects and parasites are found to be living in Trump’s folds and crevices during his autopsy to the wiki article on presidential pets