Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Oh also you can use the rotate building buttons when routing long strips of pipe/cable if you need to go straight and then left but the game insists on left and then straight even though that way is obstructed. Come on game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is there a way to see the range for shuttle bays? Do they have a max range at all?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Pretty sure the shuttles have unlimited range. I built a thing way off to one corner of the map and had no trouble with shuttles not getting there.

They might eat more fuel though, not sure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kaynorr posted:

I got curious about this myself (I'm starting to put together a guide on dome builds) and from looking at my own colony, it looks like it's somewhere between 4.5-5 colonists per crate of food per sol, with the variance probably coming from how many gluttons that dome has. A farm doing Ground Cover/Potatoes/Potatoes (which seems to be the highest overall yield I can get right now) produces an average of 6.8 food per sol, and so can feed 35ish colonists. Given that I can easily get a medium dome to over 100 colonists, I'm thinking it will require two farms per medium dome.

Or I need to start building a pair of agridomes, which is my current plan. Given that each farm only needs six workers, you could staff it with a single smart complex, so a medium dome could have six farms with three plots left for support facilities and support staff. Throw a water reclamation spire in there and that dome could sustain 180 colonists beyond itself - and I think I have one more tier of crops to go beyond my current rotation, so that number can only climb.

You've got options, really. Because farms can be upgraded to improve housing quality it can be useful to put them in a lot of domes, but if you stack them in one dome it will really boost your childbirth rate because people have more kids the happier they are. They also can't break, which makes them appealing for your idiot quarantine domes, because the idiots working them can't break them and cost you parts. Happier housing also means you can operate factories for 3 shifts (because people will be happier when they sleep to offset the nightshift) and that also helps maximize productivity per factory.

The game does a good job of giving you a lot of reason to set your domes up differently other than just maxing out their primary resource output.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Will Seniors visit a Sanitorium or do they do literally nothing other than take up space and resources?

It just dawned on me that my Phoenix Dome might not be working as well as I wanted it to.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This is kinda dark but, could you not reassign all the elderly people to one dome and then cut off all power/oxygen/food/water?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Popete posted:

This is kinda dark but, could you not reassign all the elderly people to one dome and then cut off all power/oxygen/food/water?

Call it Logan's Dome.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

before you start your future dystopia which I totally support by the way, I wanna note that every colonist that dies of unnatural causes (i.e. anything that's not old age) causes 2 applicants to disappear from the recruitment pool. Might be fine if your martian colony is big enough to be self-sustaining in terms of birth but can cause issues if you need fresh meat from the earth

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe there might be a tech that allows seniors to work and yes, unless you're 100% not going to import anyone from earth, you shouldn't go full logan's run.

But otherwise yes seniors do not do anything other than take up space. Much like in real life. Assign them out of the useful domes into "retirement facilities". Generally I put them in the idiot domes because the idiots can generally be trusted to run the farms and food dispensaries at least, and the old people don't need much else in the way of services because they don't work.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bummer. I got a breakthrough that gives your colonists a 50% chance to resurrect as a child (or maybe youth?) with the same traits as when they died, which is why I made the Phoenix Dome, a dome that's basically just for old people to die and respawn. It has basic amenities and a sanitorium to hopefully cure the seniors of their flaws in case their conflip comes up heads. But if they're not using the sanitorium then I'll have to rethink.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ramadu posted:

anyone got some good lets plays of this
Quill18's series on YouTube (called Meteor Madness or something like that) is the only one I’ve found that’s worth watching. All the other youtubers seem pretty dumb.

Popete posted:

All you have to do is turn off the dome. People will freeze, starve, go insane and suffocate really quickly. Which is kind of easy to do if you click the wrong number of times when you want to turn off one building inside a dome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Bummer. I got a breakthrough that gives your colonists a 50% chance to resurrect as a child (or maybe youth?) with the same traits as when they died, which is why I made the Phoenix Dome, a dome that's basically just for old people to die and respawn. It has basic amenities and a sanitorium to hopefully cure the seniors of their flaws in case their conflip comes up heads. But if they're not using the sanitorium then I'll have to rethink.

Oh well no I think they should use the sanatorium if they need to? It's just they won't work so there's generally little point in it, but I guess if you're going to reincarnate them I can see the appeal.

Cos, like, children go to school even though that's technically a job-like building and they're normally outside the workforce so I would hope the sanatorium would have similar rules?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

before you start your future dystopia which I totally support by the way, I wanna note that every colonist that dies of unnatural causes (i.e. anything that's not old age) causes 2 applicants to disappear from the recruitment pool. Might be fine if your martian colony is big enough to be self-sustaining in terms of birth but can cause issues if you need fresh meat from the earth

Hmmmmm I think I'm gonna try this once I get my current colony more self sufficient. I'll create murder domes for the elderly and less than useful citizens of Mars.

Those stupid Earthians are so judgey. No wonder we left.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

well sure, I'm positive those lazy slobs are all on basic income anyway. Useless wastes of water and clean air.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So I've learned that Church of the New Ark with a Doctor means you start having kids immediately

And then after 10 sols have a homeless/unemployed population rivaling your employed pops who don't appear to get earthsick. I... didn't think this through.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arven posted:

So I've learned that Church of the New Ark with a Doctor means you start having kids immediately

And then after 10 sols have a homeless/unemployed population rivaling your employed pops who don't appear to get earthsick. I... didn't think this through.

This sounds like the ideal starting sponsor to implement Death Domes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OwlFancier posted:

Oh well no I think they should use the sanatorium if they need to? It's just they won't work so there's generally little point in it, but I guess if you're going to reincarnate them I can see the appeal.

Cos, like, children go to school even though that's technically a job-like building and they're normally outside the workforce so I would hope the sanatorium would have similar rules?

I'll have to load up the 'ol colony and test this I think.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
So I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but one of my domes hasn't been getting any concrete maintenance done even though I've got like 600 units.

It might just be bugged out, but I'm starting to wonder if it's because shuttles don't move concrete as my concrete source doesn't have a drone pipeline to this dome, but everything else seems to get fixed just fine.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Arven posted:

... what's the downside? Food supplies? Really struggling to see what's wrong here.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Split Pea Superman posted:

So I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but one of my domes hasn't been getting any concrete maintenance done even though I've got like 600 units.

It might just be bugged out, but I'm starting to wonder if it's because shuttles don't move concrete as my concrete source doesn't have a drone pipeline to this dome, but everything else seems to get fixed just fine.

Do you have a depot in range of the drones that work that dome where the shuttles can put the concrete?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

double nine posted:

... what's the downside? Food supplies? Really struggling to see what's wrong here.

Church starts with only one rocket, provides no passive research and their hydroponics crop output is halved.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Soylent green, problem solved. Who's got a hankerin for some baby carrots?!

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Do you have a depot in range of the drones that work that dome where the shuttles can put the concrete?

Definitely. Dropped some concrete with a rocket just to make sure it wasn't some bug in the queue. They fixed everything up, and stockpiled the rest. I could just use a transport to empty one of my full stockpiles instead of a rocket I suppose, but it's annoying that they haven't been working. I didn't notice it because I have a 50 buildings not working notification (because of low population) that I've had for quite some time thanks to a devastating meteor hit, and wonky dome moving killing all my guys.

Waste rock is my only source of concrete now(from the extractor wonder) so that might play a part in it, but they just refine it and stockpile it as concrete so I don't think so.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I did Blue Sun first. That was easy and fun. I made a ton of cash and could get whatever I wanted when I wanted it. Rockets might as well have been free, so I just constantly ordered them full of stuff, then sent them back chock full of goodies.

I did Europe next. I always had 3-5 next techs visible at all times, and had 100%ed the Tech tree well before Sol 100. Even without the fast tech, being able to choose from so many techs always let me plan ahead.

I cannot bring myself to play any other Sponsor now, because lacking either the see all underground metals/free rockets of Blue Sun, or nonstop tech of Europe feels so awful. What's 20% cheaper buildings. What's faster pop. Why would I want those.

qqq.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The thing about the church of the new ark is that marsborn colonists can't leave, and they're all religious so they can't kill themselves.

So, really it seems like the perfect colony to run as a loving hellhole because nobody escapes :v:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there any way to see a more accurate breakdown of power? Sometimes my usage spikes and I'd like to know if I need to panic and start adding stuff or if it's just something recharging or whatever.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
No, I'm really looking forward to the spreadsheet and numbers expansion.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So is there any way I can ever get rid of the giant piles of waste rock slowly building up everywhere or am I just going to have to work around it?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it took me way too long to realize that capacitors are limited not only in how much they're charged but also that their output is capped at 20 energy.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So is there any way I can ever get rid of the giant piles of waste rock slowly building up everywhere or am I just going to have to work around it?

there is a tech that turns them into a source of concrete but in my only game where I discovered it, the technology was 17th item in the tech tree.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

There is a tech to turn it into concrete. You just have to work around it until then.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I'm not sure I can ever have a colony without a Psychologist start. Being able to work in out-dome buildings and never losing sanity is so great and the Sanitarium is the best spire.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Elendil004 posted:

Is there any way to see a more accurate breakdown of power? Sometimes my usage spikes and I'd like to know if I need to panic and start adding stuff or if it's just something recharging or whatever.

Really wish there was for this and everything else. Some things to consider: solar panels only produce during the day. Most buildings default to operating during the day also. You can play around with shifts to reduce your power consumption, build more panels to keep up with daylight work, or build more windmills/ stirling generators and then recoup the loss overnight.

I compare the stored power number over a 24 hour period to check if I'm running in the negatives.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I've only tried it once now, but using the transport to drop a bunch of concrete outside a dome really helps speed up construction.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Look at this lovely baby.

I assume everyone likes having them about because they're glad they're not this useless.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
My first meteor shower targeting my base has begun. I've done what I can to spread around critical systems, but the north side includes the rocket landing zone as well as fuel refineries / depots. I've lost 2 full fuel stockpiles, and it's probably just a matter of time before the refineries (which I still have to import) take a direct hit. My only rocket was on the pad with some food still in it but otherwise ready to launch, which I decided might be prudent. Turns out it was, as seconds after it took off a meteor landed a direct hit on the site.

I'm 5 hours in and have almost 2 days to go aaaa

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man, the mysteries do not gently caress around. Lost my colonies to the endless cold snap of the spheres, where I couldn't keep the water to run the heaters for the water so I can run the heaters for the plants so I can keep production going enough to sustain the water and heaters. People dying by the hundred.

Eventually had to just quit because there was one of the fuckers just hanging around my base that refused to be trapped forever.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
this is fine

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so uh, are we going to need a "poo poo surviving mars players say" reddit to complement the CK2/EU4 one? Because I've gone to the forums and uh...

quote:

My god the babies are horrible. I had apartments full of them. Literal city blocks filled with nothing by children.

At some point I had so many homeless and unemployment I just gave up caring and the didn't seem to mind too much anyway

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

To be fair that is basically how I am too. I checked back on my FuckDome after a few sols and found around 35 homeless people there. I built a second dome full of farms just so I can put those bums to work feeding themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I'm honestly kinda grateful that fusion reactors need to be crewed just because it gives all my homeless transients something to do. That and polymer refineries but fusion reactors don't eat up water.